Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4343365 - 03/10/17 11:51 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
With the continuing decline of traditional ad-driven radio, this phenomenon of songs being overplayed to death is not quite as bad as it used to be. Most people now just listen to the music they want to hear on demand via streaming or on their portable device.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4343395 - 03/10/17 02:27 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by MarkG
DBond, I don't play, only a Fender acoustic to unwind, and I'm not very good (no rhythm or sense of timing). I had an Ibanez once with a Peavey amp, sold it (and quit guitar lessons) to buy an engagement ring.

Well, even noodling around with an acoustic means you're a player smile

About the guitar/amp for an engagement ring.... I would say too bad and that sucks, except in your case you're still with her right? So that gets a pass. When I was married we went through some tough times financially and the ex would 'demand' that I sell some of my guitars. She said why do you need all of those guitars, you never play half of them. Women! So I got a side job doing computer repair and lied to her about selling the guitars to shut her up. She's gone, but I still have all of the guitars thumbsup

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4343562 - 03/10/17 10:48 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Oh yeah, I kept the girl and she still has the ring (about to get it professionally cleaned and inspected, Zales). smile

I play guitar like I lift weights, do it all the time but I wouldn't tell a real gym rat/bodybuilder that I lift. I guess the best answer for both would be, "Very casually". smile

I was taking guitar lessons at the same time as a good friend of mine (we had the same teacher). He was in our (wife and I) HS graduating class (1985), it was obvious right away who had the talent. He now plays in a local band, the guy far right in my first pic below (best pic I could find). The second pic is the old downtown stage as in the first pic, now there's a much nicer one. I understand he's really good (doesn't surprise me), going to catch a show this summer and see for myself. I think they play the kind of music in my Funk thread.

Wait, you weren't the one playing "Sultans of Swing" on a previous thread, were you?

Attached Files LA5_2376_600x265.jpglive after fiveb.jpg

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4343653 - 03/11/17 01:56 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No that wasn't me, but I like Dire Straits. Knopfler is a great guitar player. Always liked his style.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4343972 - 03/13/17 01:27 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This weekend we did allot of trailer pulling, long drives hauling a riding mower and then a refrigerator. I brought my older iPod Shuffle loaded with the Southern Rock I've been listening too, Skynyrd, .38 Special, Allman Bros., Molly Hatchet, Charlie Daniels, Hank Jr., Blackfoot, etc. The hits and then some.

With just about every song I hear, "Put that one on my Shuffle. Oh, that one too. Definitely that one" and so on. I don't think I can overplay the classics to the point that I can't enjoy them every so often. Except maybe for “Hotel California”, if I ever hear *that* one again! Nah, I'm listening to the album now, still enjoy it.

We're now looking for Classic Southern Rock tribute/cover bands in the BR area, I'll post a thread if we find any we like.

The sun is in the east
#4393431 - 12/06/17 07:41 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
bump
Just because there is some awesome music in this thread.
Start Here: http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4341928#Post4341928

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4393944 - 12/09/17 12:17 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm still waiting for a Southern Rock cover band, or at least the Black Jacket Symphony to play a Skynyrd tribute in BR.

I'm glad we had no concert scheduled for tonight, would have missed it due to weather (snow turning to ice).

The sun is in the east
#4398718 - 01/07/18 05:34 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
A one-hit wonder maybe, but I think these guys deserve a little credit for this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKBMd71cFeA

The sun is in the east
#4399391 - 01/11/18 02:58 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I like them a lot Mark so for me it is hard to think of them as one hit wonders even though that is probably the case, I still play a GS Pandora channel a couple of times a month and rock out smile

Battleship Chains (this got a lot of video & airplay) & Railroad Steel off of the same album

The only other time they came close to a hit was the cover Hippy, Hippy Shake from the film Cocktail

Dan Baird has some really nice stuff after he went solo (and with his band Homemade Sin)

I Love You Period from his first solo album

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4399477 - 01/11/18 11:37 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
The Georgia Satellites look like they would be a fun band to see live.

The sun is in the east
#4405512 - 02/16/18 07:04 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by MarkG
The Georgia Satellites look like they would be a fun band to see live.

I saw them at the La Vida Hot Springs bar in Carbon Canyon that no longer exists AFTER they had their big success. I was not going to go since it had become a pretty seedy place but I had several friends that just had to go see them. It was actually kind of surreal at the time since I didn't expect them to be playing such a limited, and quite frankly crappy, venue.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4405671 - 02/17/18 05:10 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

#4405930 - 02/18/18 06:15 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I Love Skynyrd no doubt but also love Pink Floyd, Rush , Molly Hatchet, Yes, Kansas, Boston, Blackfoot, Zeppelin, Sting/Police, REO, Dixie Dreggs, Hendrix, Van Halen, Heart, Fleetwood Mac, Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels and many more. I guess it is just the music you grow up with, but I stopped listening to any new music in the mid to late 90s. As my parents would have said in the 70s, all this new music is garbage. LMAO, 30 years after the 70s and I say the same thing, after the 90s, all this new music is garbage!!! Hey those that like it after the 90s, more power to you. I will stick with my 70s - 90s Rock. Here is a picture(or 2, I liked my toes in the second, when it comes to dancin i have 2 left feet! yep ) showing how Big of a Skynyrd Fan I was back then. I painted this banner by hand(think it took 6 weeks of evenings before the show) looking at the back of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Second Helping album(yes vinyl was the still the bomb then) styling the letters from the small pack of Skynyrd Smokes. I sneeked? it in folded and tucked in the back of my pants and under my shirt to their Live PPV Concert at the Fox Theater in Atlanta GA 1993. The funny thing is that at the door the bouncers were patting down all the guys as they entered and when I was patted down the guy felt it and said "What the Hell is that"?? I told him an showed the little pieces of rope I had to hang it from the balconey and he said" Cool, get in there and hang it up." He didn't notice the pint of Wild Turkey I had tucked in the front of my pants waistband, LMAO. So I went in and hung it from the Balcony Front. Here are a couple on panaramic(14' long) pics of my Redneck Skynyrd Banner. That banner has been folded up in my closet since 93, I think I may have unrolled it once since the concert. It is a little worse for wear(folded marks) but it brings back good memories of a much more simple time. If you are the PC Police and get offended, go Fu#k yourself. I never bought the PPV Tape(yes VHS was the Bomb back then) to see if it was in the recording. Anyway I have been a Drummer from age 13 and LOVE playing to Skynyrd(especially Second Helping, especially the Railroad Song) and many other Southern Rockers. Here is one on my favorites from "Nuthin Fancy". I guess that is what I have always Loved about Skynyrd, they were Nuthin Fancy, they didn't act like Nuthin Fancy, but they Loved to Rock n Roll!!

Edit, just bought Lynyrd Skynyrd The complete Muscle Shoals Recordings! Here we go again, LOL. Haven't sat at the Kit in 6 months. Seeing as I am off tomorrow I may have to bang out a few songs. Look out neighbors!! LMAO, here is my kit.

So I agree, Southern Rock, Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vHXzQhzjoM

S!Blade<><

Attached Files IMG_20180218_122337849.jpgIMG_20180218_122450303.jpgIMG_20160220_164256490.jpgIMG_20160220_164330539.jpg
Last edited by Blade_Meister; 02/19/18 04:43 AM.
#4406326 - 02/20/18 03:16 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Awesome story, banner and drums, Blade_Meister! thumbsup

I've been in the Fox Theatre only once, to see the Pink Floyd Laser Show back in 2008 (Richard Wright had just died, they quickly added a tribute). I miss eating at The Old Spaghetti Factory, last time I tried it was closed down.

The sun is in the east
#4406352 - 02/20/18 04:11 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
The Fox is the best in Atlanta. I have seen many a show there, Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Kansas, Robert Plant, Rainbow, Rossington Collins Band and I can't remember anymore, LOL I am getting old. rolleyes
I will have to dig through my ticket stubs, haven't done that in years. Anyway, glad you enjoyed my banter. Rock On!!! winkngrin

S!Blade<><

#4406372 - 02/20/18 05:21 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Speaking of "Southern Rock", which current day bands would be a good representative of that genre? I can't think of even one.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4406487 - 02/21/18 03:04 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Well, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Charlie Daniels Band and Blackfoot are playing in Atlanta in September, Last of the Street Survivors Farewell Tour starts on May 14, 2018. It is just Gary Rossington left from the original 70's Band. Granted they all live that long. You gotta Love Rickey Medlocke, he will be playing double duty that night. I can't imagine hearing him play Train, Train and Freebird on the same night at the same Concert. Wow, that would be awesome. Hate to say it but I have a very nice Audio System and I just crank it up at the house instead of going to concerts anymore. Or better yet, crank it up on my headphones in the next room and sit in on the kit and jam right along with them! It's that whole getting old thing I guess, I am just done with the bother of concerts. Anyway, I think the Southern Rock thing is still going, but you just have to look a little harder to find out who is doing what. salute

S!Blade<><

#4406508 - 02/21/18 11:43 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
By "current day bands" I meant bands that started within the last 10 years or so. smile

I know there are several legacy/classic bands that are still touring.

#4406648 - 02/22/18 12:35 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Cow Bells! Needs More Cow Bells!!!

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4406668 - 02/22/18 02:25 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: Pooch]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Pooch
Cow Bells! Needs More Cow Bells!!!

YES!!! LMAO!!!

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
By "current day bands" I meant bands that started within the last 10 years or so. smile

I know there are several legacy/classic bands that are still touring.

That is Blasphemy my friend!!! There is no such thing as a Mainstream Southern Rock Band that has started in the last 10 years!!! banghead

One does not simply walk into the"Southern Rock, Hell Yeah!!! thread and merely ask such questions and
walk away with one's life!!!!! fearful

The penalty for such Blasphemy is the Public Stocks for

30 days for you while having The Bee Gees

"Saturday Night Fever" Blasted at you 24 hours a day from

a state of the arts Dolby Atmos 360 degree Theater

Surround Sound System!!
grrr

You will learn Respect for the "Southern Rock, Hell Yeah!!!" thread and not patronize it with such TRIPE again.

For Southern Rock is King Of Music, Hell Yeah!!

and all will ---->
kneeldown
Of course I jest.

I can't believe I am putting this link in my post. That just makes me want to puke. I can honestly say I have never watched that movie, and I have never and will never watch this video!!! duh
This is all your fault PanzerMeyer! Can a Moderator please ban him from this thread??? cuss I'll Give you Three Steps PanzerMeyer, YOU BEST GIT BOY!!! exitstageleft

Actually, there is only one Southern Rock Band that I am aware of that was started in the late 90s and became wildly popular in the 2000s & up to this day. The Band is called
Third Day and it started in Marietta Ga. and it is a Southern Christian Rock Band that is absolutely awesome. They Rock for The Lord and are great musicians. Check em out, They are special.
If you only watch one of these watch the last one called Thief, it is Awesome. Enjoy.

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 02/22/18 02:32 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.