Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
#4370860 - 07/25/17 11:17 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Excellent points all around Jayhawk. My only response is that even the best written tv shows will always have some plot holes if you analyze them enough.

What about the white walker army? Even if that army is marching at like 3 miles per hour, how can it be taking that long to get down into the south of Westeros? How many years have passed on the show between the beginning of season 1 and the start of season 7?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/25/17 11:18 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4370864 - 07/25/17 11:39 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Yup, the timeline in the show - as opposed to the books - is really sketchy. A good indicator is (or should be) Little Sam. He was born in Season 3, now, in Season 7, he still is an infant. So he either does not age as normal kids do (due to extreme inbreeding?), or the timeline of the last seasons has been a mere 5 or 6 months.

It also should take the protagonists a good while to travel. Iron Isles to Mereen to Dragonstone should take some time. Or traveling from the Wall to Old Town.

Maybe the White Walkers are simply lost? Due to the snowstorm of their own making, they are walking around in circles. smile

"Listen up, men/beasts/giants. I know you are a bunch of mindless zombies, but even you should be able to find a friggin' 700 foot wall of ice! I get the feeling that some of you are not really into our project of bringing death and destruction to the living."

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/25/17 11:43 AM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4370869 - 07/25/17 11:55 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Jayhawk

"Listen up, men/beasts/giants. I know you are a bunch of mindless zombies, but even you should be able to find a friggin' 700 foot wall of ice! I get the feeling that some of you are not really into our project of bringing death and destruction to the living."

Lucky for Westeros that it's not Attila's Hun army but instead an incompetent army of zombies. Had it been the former, Westeros would have been invaded in season 2 at the latest!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4370934 - 07/25/17 06:11 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Jayhawk]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Originally Posted by Jayhawk

Maybe all the zombies are hosts and every time they march to the wall they look at it and say, "It doesn't look like anything to me." Then turn around and continue looking elsewhere.
But, I might be mixing up my HBO shows.

Much of that naval battle was silly.
My biggest gripe is Yara and Theon apparently don't believe in having lookouts or watches and are caught totally unprepared. Wasn't Yara supposed to be experienced in these things? What about the rest of the crew? Who was on watch? The rest of the fleet? They just let them all sneak right up to them? They must have gotten the Iron Isles B team in the split.

It was also odd how thorough all the storm and fog Euron's ship made right for their flagship, he must have some magic contraption telling him where to steer.

#4370960 - 07/25/17 08:03 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
The other thing about 1,000 ships, is how the heck do they crew them all?
Let's say 50-100 people per ship, which is probably fairly conservative for ships of the size we see. That's 50,000 - 100,000 people. How flipping big are the iron isles? Do they have some sort of sailor breeding program going on that nobody knows about?
Or does the 1,000 ships consist of 50 large ships and 950 rowboats?

#4370961 - 07/25/17 08:06 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: FlyingToaster]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted by FlyingToaster

Conscripts. Before being King of the Iron Isles, Euron is primarily, a pirate.

The Silence is crewed by mutes and mongrels from throughout the known world.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 07/25/17 08:16 PM.
#4371020 - 07/26/17 07:52 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna
Originally Posted by FlyingToaster

Conscripts. Before being King of the Iron Isles, Euron is primarily, a pirate.

The Silence is crewed by mutes and mongrels from throughout the known world.

The term for "conscription" to service on a ship would be shanghaiing, or whatever equivalent they might have in Westeros, bravosing maybe?!

#4371024 - 07/26/17 09:30 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

To be fair, the ships themselves are not complicated with just rope and canvas compared to the mechanical complications of the 17 the century age of sails ships. It wouldn't be difficult to teach soldiers to run the ships as Vikings used to do in their longboats.

#4371216 - 07/27/17 06:54 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
On the Iron Isles fleets:

Yara scraped up enough crew to take the ships; I was under the impression that they were pretty much skeleton crews, as the major lords were at Euron's drowning. So Euron finding crews for the ships shouldn't be a problem; they got the wood for the ships because he needed it and it's just a story. Bear in mind that the Greyjoys "do not sow," meaning that every Iron Isle free born is a sailor and raider. They get around the whole ban on slavery by having a serf system that is the same in all but name for everything else. I didn't read the books, but I did watch the extras on the BluRay disks.

Tyene Sand couldn't be killed, as she is the most beautiful woman in Westeros. Don't believe me? Ask Bron, he'll tell you. wink

Euron is in trouble. When he killed the not-the-most-beautiful-woman-in-the-world Sand, she was coughing up black stuff, and she cut him with the same blade. Hell, Tyene cut him, too. Both are avid poison users.

Theon did the smart thing. Euron was set to do some awesome clever DLC purchased move where in one smooth motion he slits Yara's throat and chops up Theon. Screw your special move. Euron is all up-up-a-b-a-b-up-down and Theon is "player has disconnected" in that duel. Call Theon a punk all you want, but his zero killed stat was saved and he remains on the leader board.

Seriously, it was good for them to show that all that Stark training with a blade wasn't for naught. Theon held his own and then some.

On Greyworm and Missandei, her look of surprise meant to me that he was castrated in the Arabic way, with a nub left, rather than the Chinese which was all the way down.

Yucky detail:

Arabic eunuchs were left a bit of the "root" and were reported to not only have wives, but have sex with them. They were sterile, of course, but there was enough for the job. Chinese eunuchs were taken all the way down, and had to use little corks in the urethra to keep from peeing uncontrollably. Why I know this is not up for discussion.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4371231 - 07/27/17 12:34 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Dart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Dart

On Greyworm and Missandei, her look of surprise meant to me that he was castrated in the Arabic way, with a nub left, rather than the Chinese which was all the way down.

That makes sense to me since Mereen looks just like a city that could have been in the Middle East during the early Middle Ages. There's nothing about Mereen that looks Far Eastern (ie Chinese/Japanese).

#4371243 - 07/27/17 01:18 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Dart]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Euron is in trouble. When he killed the not-the-most-beautiful-woman-in-the-world Sand, she was coughing up black stuff, and she cut him with the same blade. Hell, Tyene cut him, too. Both are avid poison users.

"What is dead can never die". What if Euron really drowned and died in that ritual and was brought back (instead of merely being reanimated, Baywatch-style)? Death these days in Westeros is not as final as it used to be, before those pesky Dragons came back into the world (and with them, magic).

[Seriously, the books make this very clear: before Dany's Dragons were born, there was no - or very little, and weak - magic. Afterwards, in abundance. There is a pretty funny scene in Qarth (IIRC) when all those market-square charlatan's tricks suddenly become real magic spells and they are rightfully confused by that. smile ].

Tyene Sand couldn't be killed, as she is the most beautiful woman in Westeros. Don't believe me? Ask Bron, he'll tell you. wink

I have a feeling that Cersei will have her poisoned and have her mother watch Tyrene's slow and painful death. As revenge for Myrcella.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4371252 - 07/27/17 01:46 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Dart]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Theon did the smart thing. Euron was set to do some awesome clever DLC purchased move where in one smooth motion he slits Yara's throat and chops up Theon.

(All speculation on my part....with spoilers on the interwebs I think now I have to make this disclaimer every time I discuss a theory on the plot).

That would be logical and awesome, but I doubt it. We have been told several times of the poison blades of the Sand Snakes, but we have seen those effects to take in the short term. I don't think they were ready for a battle and had not prepared their weapons with the poison. Additionally spoiled by Euron's triumphant march bit in next week's preview.

What I do think is that Cersei will have a very bloody revenge on Ellaria. She killed her daughter, the one she thought was the most pure of her children. Remember what Cersei planned for the nun of the Sept (Septa Unella) that humiliated her turning her into a plaything for Zombie Mountain? I'd multiply that by 10. And the procedures will start by killing Tyenne in front of Ellaria and then playing "I'm crushing your head" with The Mountain.

Of course, Bron, and probably Jaimie will try to stop and reign in Cersei's wrath, but I think this is where Jamie will see the parallels with The Mad King and Cersei more clearly.

As for Theon...he did not do the smart thing. He did the only possible thing he could do. If Cersei saves Yara for dessert, he might have a chance to save her. But I think all he might have is a chance for revenge.

Now for a separate thing.

I think Euron found Yara's fleet because there is a traitor on Daenerys's group. And I think the traitor is Olenna Tyrell. Sure, she hates Cersei. But also, has no reason to support The Mother of Dragons on her claim. She is an ally of Lord Baelish. They both conspired in the assassination of a King, which was conveniently blamed on Tyrion (I just can't wait until someone tells him he is working with the person that framed him) and Sansa. She was looking for Dawn's support for revenge (and who best than the Dawn's assassins for that) and her own protection, not because she wants to support anyone else for the throne.She married her daughter to the King (twice , one a pretender, the other to the sitting King) for a reason. Her son was supposed to marry the only known heir to Ned Stark, grabbing the control of the North. She wants power. She wants to rule behind the throne. She's already advising Daenerys's to ignore Tyrion. She and Littlefinger are playing the same game. My only hope is that Varys discovers this in time.

Again, purely speculative. I could be very wrong on this.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 07/27/17 02:16 PM.
#4371439 - 07/28/17 02:33 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

#4371440 - 07/28/17 02:35 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I find it interesting how Sam is now getting his own version of "Jedi training" just like Arya got in season 6 when she was in Bravos. The only difference is that Sam is studying to be a Jedi Consular with Arya became a Jedi Guardian. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/28/17 02:36 PM.

#4371475 - 07/28/17 06:21 PM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I hope they come up with some other explanation why Sam is the only one wanting to try curing that disease. That was a little thin. It was done only once, it's documented, but none of them since has given it a shot and improved on safety measures? It didn't look exactly complicated from what they showed us.
It was a little too "Wesley Crusher" IMO. None of these adults know what to do, so let the ensign save the day behind their backs!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4371538 - 07/29/17 03:00 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Think the Master that Sam was apprenticed to explained it perfectly. They are highly entitled jerks who stay out if the fighting and rule over those who survived with the knowledge they keep to themselves, like Comstar in battletech.

#4371544 - 07/29/17 06:07 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I thought the Maister was spot on for why they don't f*ck around with grayscale.

It's insanely contagious (a simple touch of unexposed skin and you've got it), nearly impossible to cure, and turns the victim into a crazed reaver that will run around attacking and touching people in a berserker rage.

Nope. Not going to play that game.

What I don't understand why they send them to Valeria.* Chop their heads off and burn the bodies to ashes. Now. Do it now. Grayscale is too dangerous to let spread.

* I think that most folks in Essos who get grayscale exile themselves there.

Last edited by Dart; 07/29/17 06:08 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4371809 - 07/31/17 02:09 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Lot's of talk on this episode. Things did not advance much really from last week.

Jon Snow seems to be as headstrong as Ned. And makes his life more complicated because of it. I thought the experience with Mance had taught him that bending the knee can save time and lives. He got the dragon glass, but no dragons.

Bran in Winterfell was an emotional moment, but he kind of bummed out Sansa forcing her to remember her wedding night to Ramsay.

So not Olenna, but it is obvious someone is letting Daenerys plans out. Too convenient for Euron to be waiting for the Unsullied on The Rock. Hmmm...

Off screen deaths? Is this still Game of Thrones?

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 07/31/17 02:32 AM.
#4371819 - 07/31/17 09:35 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

If he bent the knee, he would have to commit himself to the war with Cersei Lannister while defenceless towards threat of the Night King.

#4371821 - 07/31/17 10:12 AM Re: Game of Thrones : Season 7 [Spoilers] [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
If he bent the knee, he would have nothing to come back to. The North would have proclamed Bran as ruler, with Sansa ruling in his name. Even now that is a possibility - regardless of what Bran wants. He is the heir.

I think alot happened - Tyrells are gone. Dorne are gone (but that mostly happened last time). Castlery Rock has fallen. The remainder of Daenerys fleet is sunk.

Jorah is back in play - should be interesting. I wish Meisandra had stayed for a fiery reunion with Davos and Jon.

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.