Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4343382 - 03/10/17 01:36 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: JakeR]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by JakeR

I wasn't defending their decision, was looking at it from a business standpoint and why they went the way they did to recoup the money invested.

I guess that we could also look at burglars/robbers from a business standpoint as well - Afterall they must recoup the money they invested in buying guns/bullets, knifes or whatever they use to steal people and on top of that they must earn to feed themselves, their families and even their addictions (alcohol, tobacco and/or other drugs). rolleyes
But in the end this is clearly and beyond any doubt a WRONG "practice".

What ED is doing here is also clearly and beyond any doubt WRONG! It may not be "criminally wrong" (but if we look into details it shouldn't be that far from that thin line between legal/illegal) but it "sure as hell" is "morally wrong"!

Thinking a bit more about it now, releasing the assets for free would have been a better idea?

It's not a matter of WWII assets being free or not.
If ED wants to release a WWII scenario the assets should be MANDATORY to be included in the product, period - there's no other way around (at least IMO).

A flight sim developer selling you a WWII scenario without assets is the same as a car dealer selling you a car without an engine!
You wouldn't buy a car without an engine would you? Why would you buy a WWII scenario without assets?

And people still wonder why combat flight sims is a dying genre, I wonder why... rolleyes

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4343389 - 03/10/17 02:02 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: ricnunes]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by ricnunes

A flight sim developer selling you a WWII scenario without assets is the same as a car dealer selling you a car without an engine!
You wouldn't buy a car without an engine would you? Why would you buy a WWII scenario without assets?

It is a map/terrain not a scenario. You can pretend it is any year that you wish.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4343407 - 03/10/17 02:51 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: ricnunes]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet

Why would you buy a WWII scenario without assets?

Because some/several people want the map for this this. smile

DCSW = DCS W'hat if. wink

#4343413 - 03/10/17 03:04 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: Speyer]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by Speyer
Did none of you support the failed WW2 kickstarter way back?

It didn't fail. The kickstarter was a success. It met it's goals. What failed was what came after ED fired RRG and took over. I backed it and many others did. That's not the point. You can't build a community with a "I'm all right jack" mentality. It's a cash grab that's going to split MP. One of the many reasons ED give for not releasing the SDK (another kickstarter broken promise) is how it would split MP as some folk wouldn't have the mods needed for certain servers. It's greed pure and simple, there is no other way to justify it.
If ED were anywhere near competent in their planning and choice of modules there would be no need for the cash grab. They could feed their families quite well if that's the argument for this policy. However with their many military contracts I'm sure they all eat fairly well. What we're seeing is the continued abuse of their fan base and I'm really surprised some folk are defending this and trying to justify it. I'm not surprised DCS online is so empty.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4343446 - 03/10/17 04:19 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
I dont know if this is a good idea or not, it might not be that bad, but what really amazes me is how many people just "forget" things and get "happy" just because an "announcement" has been done...am I the only one who seems to notice that:

1- They still NOT giving us a FORMAL RELEASE DATE (late may means nothing, especially coming from ED).

2- Even if they release the map in "late may" thats NOT the Q1 target they told (and even less end of 2016 biggrin ), so again one more Delay™.

3- Yesterday they said "late april", today they say "late MAY"...W T F??????????? screwy that could mean 3 damn months more!!!!!!! jawdrop and being ED you can bet on it (probably not even in "late may" )

Bonus 4- I really cant stop laughing about the hornet news announcement! rofl :

ED: "New news on the Hornet project will be made available a few weeks after the release of the Normandy 1944 map. In the meantime, the Hornet is under VERY active development."

-"few WEEKS" = 2 or more
-"after the RELEASE of the normandy map" = We dont even have a date for this but "late MAY"
-"VERY active development" = It wasnt until now

So basically Hornet news are EONS away from us...well entered june/july jawdrop ...ED, is this a joke??? why making that announcement about hornet news when you perfectly know its AGES away yet?? you cant be serious...

Btw, anybody else bet for a new "Normandy Live stream" Delay™??? rofl

Last edited by watermanpc; 03/10/17 04:31 PM.

i7 6700K/// Z170X-UD3 /// GB GTX 1070G1 /// 16Gb@2800 /// SSD + 1Tb Barracuda x2 (DCS here) /// NOX Hummer M750 /// HOTAS WartHog /// DIY IR Clip+Opentrack+PS3 EYE 60-120fps /// Win10 pro 64

#4343447 - 03/10/17 04:22 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Q1 Fiscal Year is not always January - March for all businesses

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4343449 - 03/10/17 04:24 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: SkateZilla]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
Originally Posted by SkateZilla
Q1 Fiscal Year is not always January - March for all businesses

Of course, which is what customers use as reference, nice "fair" play...My god rofl

Last edited by watermanpc; 03/10/17 04:27 PM.

i7 6700K/// Z170X-UD3 /// GB GTX 1070G1 /// 16Gb@2800 /// SSD + 1Tb Barracuda x2 (DCS here) /// NOX Hummer M750 /// HOTAS WartHog /// DIY IR Clip+Opentrack+PS3 EYE 60-120fps /// Win10 pro 64

#4343451 - 03/10/17 04:29 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
And what does this mean??:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

is there anything we should know?? biggrin

Last edited by watermanpc; 03/10/17 04:30 PM.

#4343469 - 03/10/17 05:24 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: JakeR]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Do you think they should have just priced the lot at say $59.99 and be done with it? That way everyone has all the assets on their system ready for MP, I do get they want some sort of return for the work involved. Perhaps in hindsight releasing the assets would bring in more sales for being the nice guy? hehe

DCS: Normandy 1944 Map and DCS: World War II Assets Pack bundle will be sold for $59.99, and the stand-alone DCS: Normandy 1944 Map for $44.99 and the stand-alone DCS: World War II Assets pack for $29.99.

Could be worse at $2.50 each like some devs do on steam

$2.50 Tanks and Mobile Artillery
$2.50 M4 Sherman Firefly
$2.50 M4A4 Sherman with "Rhino" hedge cutter
$2.50 Mk VIII Cromwell
$2.50 Jagdpanzer IV
$2.50 Sd.Kfz. 162
$2.50 Tiger I
$2.50 Tiger II
$2.50 Panther V
$2.50 Panzer IV
$2.50 Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166
$2.50 Jagdpanther G1

I still hope ED is gearing up to put more money and development into the consumer side by doing all this, instead of relying on 70%?? income from commercial and military contracts. We may get more priority things done and have a full-time team working on the consumer side.

In a fair business model you would get the base software (which includes AI) then a map with a given campaign, and if you want to you can buy new maps/missions (which is where DEVS used to milk, by producing). Are you that blind/fanboy to not see where this is heading to? Base software with nothing and then you have to pay for anything.

I'm done... for me ED can shut their door. I said goodbye to many games due to abusive business practice and ED will not be an exception....DCS in overall is not that great and if you add this i see no point to given them even a penny!

#4343485 - 03/10/17 05:58 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: xXNightEagleXx]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx

In a fair business model you would get the base software (which includes AI) then a map with a given campaign, and if you want to you can buy new maps/missions (which is where DEVS used to milk, by producing). Are you that blind/fanboy to not see where this is heading to? Base software with nothing and then you have to pay for anything.

I'm done... for me ED can shut their door. I said goodbye to many games due to abusive business practice and ED will not be an exception....DCS in overall is not that great and if you add this i see no point to given them even a penny!

+1

I fully agree with every word you said!

#4343489 - 03/10/17 06:19 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: watermanpc]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by HomeFries
Originally Posted by - Ice

Sorry, but I don't think they're making DCS M4 Sherman or DCS Jagdpanzer IV, so why the need to pay for it? The ground assets should be included in the price of the theatre.

But it is.

No it isn't. They're not making DCS-level ground units.

Originally Posted by HomeFries
That's why you can get the bundle for $60. You get the choice of purchasing the full theater, or going a la carte (e.g. if you want to use WW2 units in NTTR/North Africa and don't care about Normandy or vice versa). Ask yourself this: if ED announced the Normandy theater for $60 without mentioning the asset pack, would there be this much drama?

Ask yourself this: Why is there a need to separate WWII units with a WWII theatre? What happens when they make a Korean theatre? Then we'll have Korean theatre and Korean theatre units?

Originally Posted by Johnny_Redd
[That argument is moot when they're going to give more away in the future for free.

What they're doing in the future should have no basis on the pricing now... especially as we all know how quickly ED moves towards this "brighter future" they speak of.

Originally Posted by Johnny_Redd
The point is they're charging for every piece of a module that ever other developer bundles into one product.

Spot on!

Could be worse at $2.50 each like some devs do on steam

So since it "could be worse," we're supposed to be happy about it? Since it "could be worse," is that supposed to paint ED in a better light? "AAA titles miss their deadlines all the time, so what's wrong when ED does it??"

I still hope ED is gearing up to put more money and development into the consumer side by doing all this, instead of relying on 70%?? income from commercial and military contracts. We may get more priority things done and have a full-time team working on the consumer side.

I hope you're not holding your breath on that one. We've been hoping for ED to see the light for a while now.

I wasn't defending their decision, was looking at it from a business standpoint and why they went the way they did to recoup the money invested. Thinking a bit more about it now, releasing the assets for free would have been a better idea? and made ED more money and would get even more off the fence to join in with the ww2. Once in there is more they could potentially be interested in and buy in the ED shop now, like other (ww2 planes) and in the future, A-10C etc. I mean having much more people in would be better long term than a quick profit recoup now perhaps?

From a business standpoint, you'd want your ROI back ASAP. That means a quick production period and get the thing on the shelves ASAP.... not be in production for 5+ years. From a business standpoint, you'd have a much clearer business plan, time estimates, and features to be included. None of this feature creep. None of this 3 dev branches. ED is making a lot of mistakes and bad decisions and is asking the consumer to pay for it.

Originally Posted by Speyer
Did none of you support the failed WW2 kickstarter way back?

And how is that relevant? The project may have FAILED to deliver, but it didn't fail to raise funds.

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
It is a map/terrain not a scenario. You can pretend it is any year that you wish.

And people will buy Nevada to pretend it's Iraq? No. It's for scenarios set in Normandy. Now what scenarios are set in Normandy? WW3? Cold war?

Originally Posted by watermanpc
1- They still NOT giving us a FORMAL RELEASE DATE (late may means nothing, especially coming from ED).

To be fair, they're learning... even if it's at a snail's pace. After their failures of 2016 promises, I hope they've learned to keep their mouth shut if they can't deliver. You should've seen the "but ED doesn't set deadlines" argument here before!! biggrin

Originally Posted by watermanpc
ED: "New news on the Hornet project will be made available a few weeks after the release of the Normandy 1944 map. In the meantime, the Hornet is under VERY active development."

That just means there's one guy making sure the zip files for the Hornet are in a properly-labelled external hard drive. From a business perpective, why would you prioritize a WWII project that only has a couple of aircraft? Why would you build a map and assets for WWII? If you consider the Hornet, it could fly in the map they have now, and go up against the assets it has now. But no, they choose to concentrate on the bigger project. Anybody else still think ED has a clue of how a "business" should work? I guess I should re-classify that as "profitable" business...

- Ice
#4343505 - 03/10/17 07:26 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
kaboki Offline
kaboki  Offline

Hey guys, I now seek refugee in sim hq, just got banned for 1year[b][/b] just for e few not even over the top critic posts about the asset #%&*$#. Way to go ED, I wasnt gonna buy ww2 after todays #%&*$# news, but after the ban I sure hell not gonna buy anything from ED ever again. I also planned to lobby some of my steam buddies to buy into ED(after 2.5 release) now i wont reccomend DCS to anyone. Loosing 1 customer can have impact on 20 potential customers, keep pissing off enough people and it will crash and burn.

Last edited by kaboki; 03/10/17 07:28 PM.
#4343510 - 03/10/17 07:51 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: ricnunes]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx

+1

I fully agree with every word you said!

Am at the point that I'm not even sure I'll buy the F-18....
Havent touched the sim in nearly a year and seeing how things are going I've some big doubts for the future...

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4343511 - 03/10/17 07:54 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Maybe there is an upside to this after all......perhaps we can relinquish the assets in Caucasus v1.5 and 2.x and the assets in NTTR for a refund if this is how ED wants to carve up their product!

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4343513 - 03/10/17 07:56 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: Paradaz]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by Paradaz
Maybe there is an upside to this after all......perhaps we can relinquish the assets in Caucasus v1.5 and 2.x and the assets in NTTR for a refund if this is how ED wants to carve up their product!

Since you got them for free, then your refund will be....?

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4343521 - 03/10/17 08:12 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
You missed the sarcasm. If ED want to try and invent a method of ripping off their customers............

I wouldn't say they were free anyway.....all of ED's products undoubtedly cover a mark-up based on the complete and utter waste of resources they have already made in their shoddy development decisions. i.e. 3 active development branches, feature creep, not identifying milestones amongst 2 million other poor decisions they've made over the years.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4343523 - 03/10/17 08:30 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: cichlidfan]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
Originally Posted by Paradaz

Since you got them for free, then your refund will be....?

Well we don't know that for sure. Don't forget they're redoing the Caucasus for the new engine. Whose to say they wont be selling the assets for that theatre once they unify everything? Once they see how many folk are willing to pay for this stuff who knows what's going to happen.
Oh and welcome kaboki.

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 03/10/17 08:38 PM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4343530 - 03/10/17 09:09 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
kaboki Offline
kaboki  Offline

Yup, what I feared Is already happening, now to play on Georgian spring Korea server I have to buy the asset pack, got dammit I hate ED.

QUOTE from georgian spring website:

"Looks like it will be available for purchase on Friday and download in six or seven weeks!
For those confused by the various options, I recommend that you purchase the DCS: Normandy 1944 Map and DCS: World War II Assets Pack bundle. The Map on its own would eliminate you from most WWII servers and the WWII assets will be useful in other maps like Georgian Spring!"

Not that DCS MP really thrives at the moment, but it has been worse in the past, but this asset s.h.i.t has the potensial to ruin it completly. The georgian spring server just lost atleast 1 player now. The new ww2 assets should have just went into the free asset pool we already have so it would't restrict players not having it playing on servers they always played on... I cant really fathom the fanboys defending this, if they cared about the MP scene in this game too grow, some bells should have ringed in their head with this news. Oh man this is so bad:(

Last edited by kaboki; 03/10/17 09:41 PM.
#4343547 - 03/10/17 09:51 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: kaboki]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
Originally Posted by kaboki
Hey guys, I now seek refugee in sim hq, just got banned for 1year[b][/b] just for e few not even over the top critic posts about the asset #%&*$#. Way to go ED, I wasnt gonna buy ww2 after todays #%&*$# news, but after the ban I sure hell not gonna buy anything from ED ever again. I also planned to lobby some of my steam buddies to buy into ED(after 2.5 release) now i wont reccomend DCS to anyone. Loosing 1 customer can have impact on 20 potential customers, keep pissing off enough people and it will crash and burn.

I know how you feel bro, as most of us here thumbsup ... I were banned a few days ago. The last thing I said was that the NTTR was forgotten which I think is a FACT!!...Personally I cant find on earth a single reason to PRE-purchase the Normandy map. I really cant understand people giving their money MONTHS before the release and completelly blind...WHY?????is the map going to run out of stock or what??? rofl

I purchased the NTTR more than a year ago (out of pre-purchase) and you know what?, after all this time the map is just a pity, plegued with bugs and I cant find the "high quality" of the product they are always talking about...just Las Vegas is well detailed, other than that the map is just a low quality flat blurry mess and week after week for the las 4/5 months we are just getting garbage updates fixing one (random) thing and breaking 3 instead, but looks like I cant complain after all this time since my purchase because its a WIP™. And thats their nasty excuse, you cant complain about a WIP™ product because its that, a "WIP™ product" so you just have to keep it in that state for the next 10 years and no one can complain any more (well or "posting rights revoqued" ) , great plan! .

So what prevents Normandy to become the new NTTR????...when finally they release the Normandy map, it will be in "alpha state" for years, meanwhile they will be "working" on other new maps an so on...

Last edited by watermanpc; 03/10/17 11:30 PM.

#4343555 - 03/10/17 10:12 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
kaboki Offline
kaboki  Offline

Yeah, I also made the mistake of buying NTTR, and the map quality seems too get worse every patch, also right now I cant even take off with my mirage 2000, because after takeoff its just goes out of control for no apparent reason. Yeah and the overall photo scenery sucks, i can even mod my old FSX too look a million times better. Their reason for not having better photo scenery was that they didn't want the download file to get too big, for me the bigger the better because then i know they would have had alot better quality photo scenery, not this low detail s.h.i.t we got now. And yeah, the waiting that never ends, how hard can it be too make a map, small scenery devs in FSX can make scenery alot faster even with just 1 guy doing all the work..

But i guess they can do probably whatever they want, even if unpopular, because they have no competition in the market, they know that all combat simmers will gather around their product like flies on a fresh pile of s.h.i.t

Last edited by kaboki; 03/10/17 10:21 PM.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.