Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4343209 - 03/09/17 08:15 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
OK,that was quite humorous yep

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4343215 - 03/09/17 08:28 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

This is what happens when you waste money on bad development, you just try to milk all fools out there with lame motivations!!!!

#4343223 - 03/09/17 08:40 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yes, it seems like the AI pack is basically CA: WWII edition.

There should be a cheaper version for people who do not own CA who just want targets to attack or protect while they fly, though.

People who do not have CA don't fly around Georgia with nothing but planes and buildings to shoot at.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4343243 - 03/09/17 09:28 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: Jedi Master]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Originally Posted by Jedi Master

There should be a cheaper version for people who do not own CA who just want targets to attack or protect while they fly, though.

People who do not have CA don't fly around Georgia with nothing but planes and buildings to shoot at.

The Jedi Master

No it should be free

CA WW2 for those that want to control WW2 stuff on the ground

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4343244 - 03/09/17 09:31 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Originally Posted by leaf_on_the_wind
Originally Posted by Jedi Master

The Jedi Master

No it should be free

CA WW2 for those that want to control WW2 stuff on the ground

+1

#4343245 - 03/09/17 09:32 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
My god, ED are outdoing themselves.

They can ram it.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4343256 - 03/09/17 10:14 PM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: ST0RM]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Could the morons who attack other posters and not the content that other posters make
please F*** off, I don't want this thread closed

Let's see how long this one lasts!! biggrin

Originally Posted by SkateZilla
If A User just wants WWII Assets why should he be forced to buy Normandy Too?
If A User just wants Normandy, why should he be forced to buy the Assets Too?
They are Split/Cheaper Options for Convenience.

What happens when SoH comes out? Or a Korean theatre? Will these be available as theatre/assets/bundle options as well? When does the milking stop?

Originally Posted by ST0RM
Will these WWII tanks be drivable using CA? That alone would be a factor in purchasing the add-on pack. If not, I dont see the use if I'm only looking at Normady for a Cold War map.

And what's the level of realism on the CA map? Are ground units bogged down by terrain depending on the unit being wheeled/tracked/etc? How about pew-pew between units? How long before people complain of ballistics and penetration inaccuracies?

- Ice
#4343282 - 03/10/17 12:34 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
JakeR Offline
JakeR  Offline

ED always had modules for sale, I assumed new ground units would just be another module because of all the work that went into it. Would have definitely been nice if it was released for free, except that's a lot to give away and still keep working on releasing more for free in the future.

How long would it take to just 3D model and texture the B-17G? That thing looks incredibly detailed, more than any WW2 plane I have ever see out there.

• Tanks and Mobile Artillery
o M4 Sherman Firefly
o M4A4 Sherman with "Rhino" hedge cutter
o Mk VIII Cromwell
o Jagdpanzer IV
o Sd.Kfz. 162
o Tiger I
o Tiger II
o Panther V
o Panzer IV
o Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166
o Jagdpanther G1

• Cars and Trucks
o Jeep Willys
o Truck CCKW 353
o Bedford MWD
o Kübelwagen 82
o Truck Blitz 36-6700A

• Steam Train and Cars
o DRG Class 86 locomotive
o Tank wagon
o G10 covered wagon
o DR 50 Ton Flat Wagon Type SSys

• Anti-Aircraft Artillery
o Bofors 40 mm gun
o 8.8 cm Flak Gun 18, 36, & 37
o 2 cm Flak 30/38/Flakvierling

• Ships
o LCVP Higgins
o LST Mk2
o USS Samuel Chase

• Infantry
o US soldier
o UK soldier
o German soldier

• Aircraft
o B-17G bomber

The DCS: World War II Assets Pack will continue to grow with DCS: Combined Arms compatibility and free asset additions that includes:

• New tanks
• SdKfz 234/2 "Puma"
• Sd.Kfz. 251
• Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad
• Horch staff car
• E-boat Schnellboot type S-130
• Uboat type 7
• German search lights
• Barrage balloons
• Avro Lancaster
• Hawker Typhoon
• C-47
• Ju-88
• Fw 190 A-6 and A-8
• Bf 109 G-6
• A-20 Havoc/Boston
• B-24
• B-25
• B-26

EDIT:
Could the morons who attack other posters and not the content that other posters make
please F*** off, I don't want this thread closed

Originally Posted by mudspike

Be polite to other subscribers and take any over-the-top negativity somewhere else.

No one would be here if you added the mudspike forum rules hehe.

#4343285 - 03/10/17 01:25 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: JakeR]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by JakeR
ED always had modules for sale, I assumed new ground units would just be another module because of all the work that went into it. Would have definitely been nice if it was released for free, except that's a lot to give away and still keep working on releasing more for free in the future.

How long would it take to just 3D model and texture the B-17G? That thing looks incredibly detailed, more than any WW2 plane I have ever see out there.

Sorry, but I don't think they're making DCS M4 Sherman or DCS Jagdpanzer IV, so why the need to pay for it? The ground assets should be included in the price of the theatre. Unless something special has been planned, these won't be any different from the ground units we already have in the game but will obviously be WWII assets....

Next thing you know we'll have DCS Hangar Bay and DCS Runway Lighting System.... and the naval aviator's favorite, the DCS Meatball. biggrin

- Ice
#4343287 - 03/10/17 01:27 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Here's the leaked business plan for ED 2017:

[Linked Image]

- Ice
#4343289 - 03/10/17 01:36 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: - Ice]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted by - Ice

Sorry, but I don't think they're making DCS M4 Sherman or DCS Jagdpanzer IV, so why the need to pay for it? The ground assets should be included in the price of the theatre.

But it is. That's why you can get the bundle for $60. You get the choice of purchasing the full theater, or going a la carte (e.g. if you want to use WW2 units in NTTR/North Africa and don't care about Normandy or vice versa). Ask yourself this: if ED announced the Normandy theater for $60 without mentioning the asset pack, would there be this much drama?

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4343301 - 03/10/17 01:58 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: JakeR]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

That argument is moot when they're going to give more away in the future for free. One would probably be able to pick up the asset pack in a sale for $5 in the future. How much does CA go for in a sale $10? It's not the point though. The point is they're charging for every piece of a module that ever other developer bundles into one product. Giving it's size and If the quality of the NTTR textures and the vast empty spaces of that theatre are any indication of what's to come from Normandy the price of the map alone would warrant including the ground units. And as others have said, this business model is going to kill DCS online. Not that DCS online is all that healthy right now.

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 03/10/17 02:10 AM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4343303 - 03/10/17 02:11 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: HomeFries]  
xXNightEagleXx Offline
xXNightEagleXx  Offline

Originally Posted by HomeFries

Sorry, but I don't think they're making DCS M4 Sherman or DCS Jagdpanzer IV, so why the need to pay for it? The ground assets should be included in the price of the theatre.

But it is. That's why you can get the bundle for $60. You get the choice of purchasing the full theater, or going a la carte (e.g. if you want to use WW2 units in NTTR/North Africa and don't care about Normandy or vice versa). Ask yourself this: if ED announced the Normandy theater for $60 without mentioning the asset pack, would there be this much drama?

60 bucks for a map is way too much, simply as that and this is regardless this new way to milk fanboys. If ED productivity is too low up to the point to increase the cost of their map addons, well this is their own problem. That being said, it is not about the map or bundle price, it is about asking money for AI units. What is sad, is the fact that worshipers will simply buy into this because this is the typical modern gamer/fanboy stereotype who accept really bad business practice just to play their beloved game/console.

Last edited by xXNightEagleXx; 03/10/17 02:13 AM.
#4343308 - 03/10/17 02:25 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
JakeR Offline
JakeR  Offline

Do you think they should have just priced the lot at say $59.99 and be done with it? That way everyone has all the assets on their system ready for MP, I do get they want some sort of return for the work involved. Perhaps in hindsight releasing the assets would bring in more sales for being the nice guy? hehe

DCS: Normandy 1944 Map and DCS: World War II Assets Pack bundle will be sold for $59.99, and the stand-alone DCS: Normandy 1944 Map for $44.99 and the stand-alone DCS: World War II Assets pack for $29.99.

Could be worse at $2.50 each like some devs do on steam

$2.50 Tanks and Mobile Artillery
$2.50 M4 Sherman Firefly
$2.50 M4A4 Sherman with "Rhino" hedge cutter
$2.50 Mk VIII Cromwell
$2.50 Jagdpanzer IV
$2.50 Sd.Kfz. 162
$2.50 Tiger I
$2.50 Tiger II
$2.50 Panther V
$2.50 Panzer IV
$2.50 Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166
$2.50 Jagdpanther G1

I still hope ED is gearing up to put more money and development into the consumer side by doing all this, instead of relying on 70%?? income from commercial and military contracts. We may get more priority things done and have a full-time team working on the consumer side.

#4343310 - 03/10/17 02:30 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Oh dear god... While I sort of keep some cautious optimism for what DCS could still be for ww2 simulation, this is really hard to defend. Ice's meme with the burger before and now is spot on really. I'll get that stuff since I was foolish enough to back the ww2 KS, but I can't imagine that this will sell well with that strategy. If that's really the way they see themselves handling their ww2 side, that's got to be good news for IL2!

#4343346 - 03/10/17 10:05 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: JakeR]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Do you think they should have just priced the lot at say $59.99 and be done with it? That way everyone has all the assets on their system ready for MP, I do get they want some sort of return for the work involved. Perhaps in hindsight releasing the assets would bring in more sales for being the nice guy? hehe

DCS: Normandy 1944 Map and DCS: World War II Assets Pack bundle will be sold for $59.99, and the stand-alone DCS: Normandy 1944 Map for $44.99 and the stand-alone DCS: World War II Assets pack for $29.99.

Could be worse at $2.50 each like some devs do on steam

$2.50 Tanks and Mobile Artillery
$2.50 M4 Sherman Firefly
$2.50 M4A4 Sherman with "Rhino" hedge cutter
$2.50 Mk VIII Cromwell
$2.50 Jagdpanzer IV
$2.50 Sd.Kfz. 162
$2.50 Tiger I
$2.50 Tiger II
$2.50 Panther V
$2.50 Panzer IV
$2.50 Sturmpanzer IV Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166
$2.50 Jagdpanther G1

I still hope ED is gearing up to put more money and development into the consumer side by doing all this, instead of relying on 70%?? income from commercial and military contracts. We may get more priority things done and have a full-time team working on the consumer side.

Think about what that would do to multiplayer, there would be people who haven't paid/don't want certain assets for whatever reason. Either you wouldn't be able to join a multiplayer game because of incompatibilities or you will see other players attacking units you can't see or can't fire at. The way they're going is just a less volatile version of what you suggest....either way it's absolutely nuts and will harm them more in disgruntled users more than it will their own greed in trying to milk the fans.

#4343350 - 03/10/17 10:53 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: - Ice]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
whats next ?

this maybe ?

http://i.imgur.com/ouw8ubU.png

[Linked Image]

LoL biggrin biggrin biggrin
and at the same time, so spot on!

Maybe I'm being "narrow-minded" but it's unbelievable that there are people defending this kind of business but "whatever suits your fancy" - Guess there are people who likes being "robbed". Perhaps a "masochism" tendency??

#4343356 - 03/10/17 11:28 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Did none of you support the failed WW2 kickstarter way back?

#4343360 - 03/10/17 11:40 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: ricnunes]  
JakeR Offline
JakeR  Offline

Originally Posted by ricnunes

Maybe I'm being "narrow-minded" but it's unbelievable that there are people defending this kind of business but "whatever suits your fancy" - Guess there are people who likes being "robbed". Perhaps a "masochism" tendency??

I wasn't defending their decision, was looking at it from a business standpoint and why they went the way they did to recoup the money invested. Thinking a bit more about it now, releasing the assets for free would have been a better idea? and made ED more money and would get even more off the fence to join in with the ww2. Once in there is more they could potentially be interested in and buy in the ED shop now, like other (ww2 planes) and in the future, A-10C etc. I mean having much more people in would be better long term than a quick profit recoup now perhaps?

#4343361 - 03/10/17 11:42 AM Re: Normandy and AI units to be sold separately [Re: ricnunes]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by ricnunes
whats next ?

this maybe ?

http://i.imgur.com/ouw8ubU.png

[Linked Image]

LoL biggrin biggrin biggrin
and at the same time, so spot on!

LOL, I didn't notice the fries missing.....is that intentional or are they in alpha and we'll never get to see the edible end-product?

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.