Introducing An EAW Flashbacks thread.
Rules; no flames, no tit for tat, etc.
Just pure EAW please!

From the archives;
http://SimHQ.net/forum/ubbthreads.p...AW_Unified_Autoscript_f.html#Post1912318

Vintage OAW, OAWunified gups Autoscripts
A Somewhat random post I chose about OAW gup scripts by Ralf Knegel;

Hi,

Gup´s are supposed to be made by the OAW team!!

They need a exact Norm and many tests to provide a stressfree usage!

Gup´s are a special form of Autoscripts!
The advantage of the Gup´s is that OAW combine a relative smal number of Gup-Autoscripts to a much more big number of setups!
OAWunified1.01 include 10 x P**.gup + 18 x related S***.gup and 10 x M**.gup + 18 related T***.gup´s
P = Plane setup
M = Mission setup
S = skinsetup (summer/winter/desert)
T = terrain/groundobject setup(summer/winter/desert)

This 56 Gup´s the user can combine to 200 different playable setups, while he always only need to choose a M**.gup, P**.gup and the season.
With the OAWunified update we wanna add many more Gup´s. With some more Gup´s the number of playable setups increase MUCH more.

Additionally Gup´s can get loaded by a "magical number", together with a Ai setup and keycontroll setup, resulting in a very special, complicated setup, which get loaded by ONE click!

Never before the Gup system and specialy the 'magical number' system got developed, it was possible to load such extended, but flexible, setups by ONE click!

So: OAWunified1.01(its only a beginning), with a D/L size of only 47MB, provide 200 different "Gup" related setups to get loaded by ONE click and this setups can get combined with 30 different keycontroll setups and a endless number of Ai-plane setups to a endless number of "magical numbers". Every of this magical numbers will load a setup by one click.
Every 'magical number' can get stored, so it get can used later again!

Additionally every user can create own "Autoscripts". The easyest way to do this is to load one of the possible Gup setup, then its easy to change the planes, sky/horizons, cloudlayers, hills, terrains, etc. This new setup can get stored as Autoscript, to get loaded later again(by one click) and/or to share it with friends, to get played offline or online.

Customized "Autoscripts" can get created as many as the user want.

When we did develop the OAW folderstructure and the Autoscript system, our dream was to store ALL available EAW addons following this structure, to make them available for download.

If this would be the case, we would need to download and store every addone only ONE time. New setups could get offered in form of a "Autoscript". Every of this setups would stay flexible.
For example, if "FAW" would get released, the addons(skins, sky/horizons, hangerscreens etc) splitted into single folders, we would use this addons later in many different setups, like it already did happen today in the "turnfight_1" setup, where at least two "FAW Skins" got used.

"FAW" dont would lose anything, the at least four different "FAW" setups(Winterwar 1939, Continuation War 1941 Winter, Continuation War 1941 Summer, Soviet ofensive) still could get loaded by one click!

Mr.Jelly(or who ever) could create different additional homebase setups, fitting to the "FAW" World, to get used online. So by a very smal addotional D/L, "FAW" could get used online.

Thats almost impossible, if it get offered as complete setup, like most other campaigns.

Specialy big addons, like hangerscreens, skins, mainscreens, inflight maps, tree sets, groundobject sets, speach setups etc would be worth to get used in many different setups(online and offline).

Same count for SAW and other campaigns.

Later it also would be very easy(at least the D/L would be very smal) to create new campaigns, based on this splitted campaigns.

Ok, i just did start to dream again. rolleyes

But the OAW folderstructure already allow all this, it 'only' need to get accepted by the addon makers. It even dont would be much more work for the campaign makers, cause most campaigns already comes splitted into "skins", "screens", "sounds" etc, this splitting "only" would need to follow the OAW folderstructure and in the best case all get offered as "selfinstaller" including the needed Autoscripts etc, to load the campaign via OAW by one click(if there are different fontline, year or seasonal setups, more scripts can be available).

Ok, i just woke up,.............crap, it just was a dream. \:\(

Greetings,

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4341648 - 03/03/17 03:14 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Recovering DOM's "1940: Attack in the West" for OAW128
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend

Forum members who have been around for a while may remember DOM's "Attack in the West" scenario, his last great EAW work which modelled the May-June 1940 invasion of France, Belgium and the Netherlands. A little while back I did some work on updating it using hi-res aircraft models, additional French aircraft, new screens etc. Knegel provided an updated fm set and others chipped in in various ways. Here is the page on my site.

With Jel's great new version of the EAW manager OAW128 it is possible to load up these early campaigns which seem to work okay under EAW128C.

Following Jel's lead I have made a "JelliedMog" OAW128-ready version of AITW 1.5 which is available here for anyone who wants to try it out.

You just unzip this in your OAW128 EAW folder and it creates all the necessary subfolders and gives you an Attack in the West" selection. The files for the scenario are installed in an AITW folder under your EAW folder. Within this you will find the W40 folder which contains the two Managers. The managers are the heart of AITW. You always start there. You set up or continue your campaign there, or you set up your single mission there. Then you go to OAW to select "1940 Attack in the West" start EAW and fly.

Remember the AITW drill:

(1) Campaigns: use the "main" manager (in the W40 folder under the AITW folder) to set up a career - follow DOM's instructions in the manager - especially about setting up the next mission in the manager rather than within EAW. You never click on "next mission" in EAW.

(2) Singles: use the "singl" manager to set up single missions for any given day of the campaign. You can do this without disturbing an ongoing aitw career.

I'm working, time permitting, on a similar installation for Dunkirk.

RAF Chattenden
The Gen Home of the EAW Code Group

#2990236 - 04/07/10 Recovering DOM's "1940: Attack in the West" for OAW128

Last edited by FsFOOT; 03/03/17 05:12 AM.
#4341652 - 03/03/17 03:22 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

#2991158 - 04/08/10 Goodbye to another WWII Flyer
Wudpecker Offline
Hotshot

Santa Cruz, CA

"Woody" Beegle-at top of picture-during pilot training in 1943. Looks like a biplane, possibly a PT-17 or PT-13A.

He was called 'Woody', as I often am. One of my strong, silent uncles. No more. He died April 1, after a fall that broke his hip and led to pneumonia. He lived into his '80s. Salute!

Woodrow W. Beegle was a quiet, capable guy who was both pilot and co-pilot. He flew in the last year of the war in the South Pacific and Far Eastern Air Force (FEAF). He was so quiet he never spoke of herding his B-24 Liberator over the Philippines and elsewhere and facing combat. Or winning any awards. I wish he had told me some flying stories, but I didn't dare ask.

For years after the war I thought he switched to flying B-47 jet bombers. His daughter, Trudy, got the official records that set me straight. He piloted the massive B-50 "Superfortress", the follow-up to B-17's and B-29's that pre-dated the jets.

B-50 Superfortress, the follow-up to the B-29. Last used as an aerial tanker in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

The terse, dense official records on "Woody" tell their own story:
Quote:
Woodrow W. Beegle
A fire destroyed many veterans records from 1912 to 1959, the National Personnel Records Center cautioned, but most were reconstructed from back-up files. Privacy limits records released.

Joined USAAF (Army Air Forces) October 20, 1942. Retired July 28, 1955 from U.S.A.F. Reserve. First Lieutenant.
Training:
Trained at Cleveland, Ohio; Maxwell Field, Alabama; Orangeburg, South Carolina; Shaw Field, Georgia; Turner Field, Georgia.
Basic training 1 Feb. 1943 to July, 1943 ; Trained in PT-17, PT-13A, and AT-10. 250 hours.
Pilot fully qualified 23 May, 1944. (Wings awarded)

Student officer, Maxwell Field, Alabama, July, 1944. Flying B-24 (Liberator) 55 hours.
Assigned Tonopah, Nevada, Co-pilot B-24, Sept. 1944, 116 hours.

Combat
Served: Far Eastern Air Force (FEAF)
Combat training Jan, 1945-- 38th Air Services Group, 18:10 hours
Combat Feb- July, 1945 529th Bomber Squadron, 380 B Group., co-pilot B-24. 245
combat hours, 23 combat missions.
APO 321, 30 June, 1945 Flying hours 269:15
1 July, 1945; 24 combat hours, 2 combat missions.
APO 321 & 337 16 September, 1945,
RAD 21 November, 1945, AAF McClellan Field, California (released from active service)
Rejoined active service in 1951.

Awards:
Asiatic Pacific Theatre ribbon, February, 1945
Philippines Liberation ribbon with bronze star, 5 February, 1945
South Philippines Battle Star, 1 May, 1945
Air medal, 26 June, 1945
3 OI.C on 9 July, 1945 (don't know what this award is)
WWII Victory medal

Other service and overseas :

May, 1951, Pilot, B-50
December 1951, United Kingdom
Pilot, bombing and recon, HQ 98th Bomb Wing, FAFB, Kansas
May, 1953, Alaska

------------

--------------------
--------------------

#2991793 - 04/09/10 Re: Goodbye to another WWII Flyer
RAF_Roy Offline
EAW Bodger

So. California - U.S.A.
S! to Uncle Wuddy and condolences mate, I know he meant a lot to you!

I did some research and found some ribbons and info for you to look up;

Far East Air Force

from this page;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Air_Force#US_Far_East_Air_Forces

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

nice information here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiatic-Pacific_Campaign_Medal

Couldn't find a specific ribbon for this.However if your uncle still had the ribbon or medal you can probaly identify it and its placement.
found a general quote about it though,"Bronze Star Device Criteria: A service star, also referred to as a battle star.."
It may be they tacked another star onto the above originally
http://www.foxfall.com/fm-plm.htm

Air medal, 26 June, 1945

this would have been for heroism or for meritorious service during the battles

3 OI.C on 9 July, 1945 (don't know what this award is);

researched it a bit
The data is just after the end of the battle of Okinawa, but also about the conclusion of all operations that were still mopping up the Phillipines.
at first I thought 3 OI.C would mean OLC meaning Oak Leaf Clusters
however I think the answer is in the documentation here:
http://armyawards.com/am.shtml
which states:
"Bronze Arabic Numerals, starting with 2, will be used to denote second and subsequent awards of the Air Medal."
so that would be the 3 OI.c indicating 3 times the award or in other words: III
which is same equivalent as 3 oak leaf cluster on other medals/ribbons.
My guess is this refers to 3 seperate actions or/awards in the 3 theate campaigns or sub-campign operations at the time he flew in, since service stars according to this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_star
"denotes participation in military campaigns or multiple bestowals of the same award"
(and)... "The United States Army also occasionally issues award numerals or oak leaf clusters, instead of service stars, to denote multiple awards of certain ribbon decorations"

WWII Victory medal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Victory_Medal_(United_States)

Probaly you could reseach and figure out some of the operations he flew in, (mostly by process of eliminate of those his group would not have been assigned to) but it isn't easy. The documentation is scare.This pages has some info about the qualifiers for the campaign medal;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiatic-Pacific_Campaign_Medal
and the dates of actions, and although the specific squadron operational sortie history I could not find documented except it is the fifth air force,

and as you said FEAF, 529th Bomber Squadron, 380 B Group
there is also some referal to grouping at times could have come under what was the "V group' for some operations. So its fairly confusing to narrow down.

You uncle obviously flew in the phillipines and as the island secured from the there, most probaly in support of the other island hopping which could include various small combats up to Iwo Jima, to Okinawa,

This page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/380th_Expeditionary_Operations_Group#World_War_II
list confusingly though:
"From the end of May 1944 until it moved to Murtha Field, San Jose, Mindoro, Philippines in February 1945, the 380th BMG concentrated on neutralizing enemy bases, installations and industrial compounds in the southern and central East Indies. In April 1945, Far East Air Force relieved the 380th of its ground support commitments in the Philippines. During the month, the Group flew the first heavy bomber strikes against targets in China and French Indochina. In June 1945, the 380th was placed under the operational control of the 13th Air Force for pre-invasion attacks against Labuan and on the oil refineries at Balikpapan in Borneo. For nearly two weeks, the Group's Liberators kept these targets under a state of aerial siege. After the Borneo raids, the 380th flew its last combat missions to Taiwan."
However frankly I don't think its particularly accurate (China and French Indochina), as I would think those were secondary missions compared to the local attacks on the islands which were more critical, not all secured and the operations were in full swing at that time.
S!

Last edited by RAF_Roy; 04/09/10 Reason: China and French Indochina comment

Awards:
Air medal, 26 June, 1945
3 OI.C on 9 July, 1945 (don't know what this award is)
WWII Victory medal

Other service and overseas :

May, 1951, Pilot, B-50
December 1951, United Kingdom
Pilot, bombing and recon, HQ 98th Bomb Wing, FAFB, Kansas
May, 1953, Alaska

------------

#4341661 - 03/03/17 04:55 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

VonBeerhofen Offline

Loc: Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands

03/19/08
After 6 months of heavy fighting in the 'Bulge' area, attacks are now concentrating on Berlin and the northern part of Germany. The allies are attacking the Rheinland and the area of Remagen coming up to Dortmund and Dusseldorf.

More attacks come from the region of Hamburg and Bremen and our dimminished group of fighters is being send there to disrupt the enemy approach:

Here is a picture of an attack on a U_Boat penn close to the railroad station at Ostermoor:

result: both attacking fighters were destroyed but mannaged to destroy the penn and the railroad station and trains coming from this area.

AFB is now two parts, 1st part is the main package meant to work online and offline with 1.2 campaigns and single missions.
2nd part is for online and offline single missions only and works as standalone without AFB too.
This part holds the current theatre and changes to the AFB world and targets and should be installed over the first part.

Basically the package is turning into a fully independend addon and is best installed into a seperate 1.2 install of EAW, also because a .LDR is included which will activate special AFB extras by modifying your eaw.exe.

VonBeerhofen

#4341662 - 03/03/17 04:57 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

03/17/08
Loadout script for OAW : "xxx.lox" file vs "xxx.lo1" + "xxx.lo2" files
Lolo Kramp Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
I'm currently working on a new loadout for a japanese plane.

I've got M. Jelly Loadout editor and it works fine.

My concern is how to make a OAW compatible script with late RP FM. I can generate "xxx.lox" file with M. Jelly Loadout editor but it seems that the current standard (OAW V450 - Knegel RP 2.6V10) are "xxx.lo1" and "xxx.lo2" files.

How can I generate this "xxx.lo1" and "xxx.lo2" files - Any new utility needed ?

Any help is welcome

Lolo

#2471929 - 03/17/08 Re: Loadout script for OAW : "xxx.lox" file vs "xxx.lo1" + "xxx.lo2" files [Re: Lolo Kramp]
Knegel Offline

Hi Lolo,

there are 2005LOEdit.exe and 2006LOEdit.exe around. They create new lo1/lo2 files or convert lox files to lo1/lo2 files.

They never got realy finished(they have some bugs), but they are usable.

I can E-Mail them to you, if you dont find them on a other location.

Greetings,

Knegel

#4341663 - 03/03/17 05:04 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

03/14/08 OT - News from Norwegian woods and Hungarian lakes
Fran_Zee Offline

Loc: Bavaria
I´d like to point you to the site of the Norsk Luftfartmuseum with all those treasures scattered throughout the Norwegian wilderness...

Go to the pages "Donations" and "Projects". There you´ll read about RAF Fairey Albacores, Soviet Petlyakov Pe-2s, Glacier Auntie Jus, Bf 109G-2s and a recent Hungarian production site for a new Ju 88 series

Enjoy!

Code
note; 2017 - FsFOOT updated link: note this is the link now

http://luftfartsmuseum.no/en/

Fran

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish;
let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."
(Proverbs 31:6-7)

#4341664 - 03/03/17 05:07 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

02/28/08 Cool Day.....in EAW...
AngleOff Offline

Just cruising around the EAW world and enjoying the view....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2SPo643AQI

My hats off to all the skinners and modders who make all the beautiful
planes, terrains, and skies. They can truly put you in the mood....
My mother always told me that colors are like music......
AO

#4341665 - 03/03/17 05:11 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

02/18/08 Another lost sheep
Whitelightning Offline

Loc: The Bluegrass

Hi everyone.
I, like others am revisiting EAW again. I will never give up on getting it to run with my PC. I am back after a year or so lay off and as usual, I need help.
I am running a Asus motherboard with dual striped raid hard drives and 4 GB of ram, Pentium IV processor, nvidia GT6600 game card, and 17" Dell flat panel display.
I have of course been through the wiki , the starting gate, and I think tried everything mentioned in the first few post here. I did the "no adjusted pitch" reg edit for the screen problem along with a clean install to a new folder using the 4th option XP. I am now running the newest oaw unified with OAWrt. I also tried the JIMMSN7217.
My goal is to be able to get through career pilot campaigns without CTD's so I can enjoy the game and eventually try my luck with you experts online...but alas, I can not get around crashing to a black screen with the micro so soft reporting message and frozen mouse when loading career pilot. I can run the game fine in single missions, start a career OK, but during the campaign or when loading a career pilot I get the CTD. I also mention that when I mouse click on screens I hear a funny sound like a distorted rattle. Click-DDDDLLDDLDD>>> then it will either go to the correct place or CTD in the career campaign.
All of you are doing a great job and if there is no help for this I can wait for the new exe??? that I heard the Colonel talking about that is being tested??? Again thank you all.

#2451583 - 02/19/08 Re: Another lost sheep [Re: Whitelightning]
BPNZ Offline

Loc: New Zealand

Hi Whitelightening,

Welcome aboard again \:\)

Sorry to hear of your problems.

OK so everything works fine with single missions?
That's a good sign and probably rules out many of the common hardware compatibility issue.

Background:
The 7217 error usually occurs when you first try to start the game. This error number covers a few situations but has mainly been link to later Nvidia cards as from after 60 series drivers they don't support some of the first screens of the game. I understand the 7217 fix substitutes screens whosse formats are supported by later drivers. Bascially once you get flying there is no problems for most vid card drivers, its mainly the intro / prebriefing screens which are causing the problem.
I have a Leadtek 6600GT PCIE card that works fine with 60 series drivers. I understand the AGP version of 6000 cards are not supported by 60 series drivers, so they have little choice but to use Mr Jelly's great fix.

Now about your problem..........It might help some of the more knowledgable members of the community (not me!) to know if it happens mostly with only one type of plane or year.
I'm sure others will chip in with suggestions soon.

The only way to get ready for online flying is to fly online \:\)
That is the best way by far!!!

I assume you are in Kentucky (Location: The Bluegrass). The 352FG are a great bunch of guys and are always looking to helpout flyers. As most of there members are US based their flight times should also suit. Guys please update the link if it is wrong.

http://352fg.turma.net/

We are all looking forward to the new exe, and I have the privilege of playing a small part in its development. Hope to see you in the air soon \:\)

#4341666 - 03/03/17 05:19 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

02/20/08 Calling Pobs re: tanks in eaw
Baron Von Martin Offline

Loc: Peenemuende, MB.
Hello Pobs,

Being a German pilot in a 109 I don't get to attack German armoured columns ever, but I do have a question.

Do the ground objects change as time passes? Is there a panzer I, II, III and IV in the beginning of th gamea tiger tank available in mid to end of game?

S!

BVM

#2452805 - 02/20/08 Re: Calling Pobs re: tanks in eaw [Re: Baron Von Martin]
VonBeerhofen Offline

Loc: Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Hi BVM,

the armoured columns appear with the interdiction selection. I'm not entirely sure when or where they appear but either there is a random switch in the EXE which selects a truck convoy or an armoured column, or it depends on the area (target/frontline) you select. The convoy's size and composition are randomly created by the EXE.

VonBeerhofen

#2452816 - 02/20/08 Re: Calling Pobs re: tanks in eaw [Re: VonBeerhofen]
Pobs Offline

Loc: North Wales, UK
Hi BVM,

further to VB's answer, there are two types of columns, there is the interdiction convoy and there are 'tank columns' the latter only appear after 1944 I think and are characterised by being just Panthers (or Shermans for the allies). The tank types don't adapt as the war goes on there is only one model per slot available, so panther tanks are always panther tanks unless you load something else as part of your campaign package. We do now have PzII, PzIII, Kingtigers, T34's and T26's available as well as the shermans and Panthers but they have to be loaded and overwrite the existing ones.

for the new exe jelly has also found that there is a new interdiction type, that is 'armour' this gives a moving body of mixed vehicles spread over the landscape and looks very nice...

cheers,

Pobs

#4341713 - 03/03/17 11:57 AM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
?

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4341817 - 03/03/17 05:06 PM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: Rotton50]  
AngleOff Offline
AngleOff  Offline

PA., USA
Interesting stuff!

AO

#4341866 - 03/03/17 07:39 PM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

The idea is sort of a trivia thread, somewhat random but some posts with som elost details or showing what was going on in EAW at the time, ex. OAW, RP, Skins, 3DZ, whatever.

The reason i started this was digging for lost readme's. Specificlly there is no definitive EAW 1.28e release readme - with list of the changes.
Then I realized it was just interesting and might generate some good or fun posts.
The forum here tends to stagnate at times as everyone knows. I see no new people coming in at all really and not hardly a returner that ever posts. Of course I'm not an online player and am away for long periods.

Also shows some of the posts still available and what is left of the archives. These may be useful for MarkEAW, or anyone's fyi.
Note that the archives remaining may not stay forever. The 'lost archives' are both those prior, and those lost in a years past SimHQ server change or something. Even some chunks of the later than 2008 stuff was also lost.

Then of course the surprise announcement of Sandbagger's closure affects the EAW future, at least of the huge contributions of many people especially pre OAW and EAW 128 era and its a bit sad. And also will make it hard for anyone to play the old game campaigns, skins, etc.

Nostalgia may be productive. I like nostalgia with tech retro to a degree.
'retro' games are a rising genre and EAW undoubtedly will fit in the post dos / windows 3.11 to windows 95 era. People will want our ancient machines to fly just like an old car.
Also I speculate the new arm64 platform shoud be able to play EAW.. with Linux or ? so that is nice.

Anyone feel free to post some pure EAW trivia here. Or one can always just browse or ignore it as they please. I won't be posting much here soon as too time consuming anymore to login forums, etc. plus my website and linux land tech learning.
I'm over browsers really also as useful as they are. All the internet junk that goes with it.
And I don't like much mixing windows anymore. I don't use windows anymore. Even my dual-boots rarely I use XP for some old stuff.
Once I get set up my main flagship laptop removing win 8 forever and using linux etc. I don't need it anymore. Other than XP is useful for migrations of EAW and so forth.
Anyway.. sorry a bit OT but then again this is in a way EAW trivia.

EAW is really about the whole thing the people the place(s) the eras the real wwii, old to new society internet, technology, and not so much 'gaming for the masses' - as you can see they all fly WOFF now etc. IL2 is ancient and so forth.
This forum is dying slowly, now its a practical ghost-town. How much longer people think it will last before it dies or SimHQ archives it read-only>
There is some other forums. Obviously some (few remaining) members formerly here are using thos exclusively now.
I find it hard to separate Sandbagger's or this SimHQ forum from EAW and the people that are or were once here.

I would have never played EAW had I bought the IL2 but that day at the store I was a bit short of pocket change and also video card and ram needed some upgrading. I built my humble EAW PC and replaced 486DX2-66 I was using. EAW was the first game I really liked that was usable with budget hardware. It still runs to this day and can play EAW albeit slowly with its 256MB RAM running XP.
More trivia? Funny at the time at work I was loading 64bit 12 core processor PCIEx 600 lb massive servers. Funny the same technology we use today was developed 15-20 years ago.

Anyway, getting long post and going somewhat OT..

Last edited by FsFOOT; 03/03/17 07:46 PM. Reason: sent from my linux mint 18 mate / ubuntu 16.04 LTS daily OS
#4341875 - 03/03/17 07:59 PM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
I disagree with the statement that we're dying off and it's only a matter of time until we're archived. At least I hope they aren't shutting us down.

Two days ago I posted a thread about upgrading more planes to the 1.6 standard. It now has 340 views. If you look at the past week there have been over 3200 views on about ten threads.

In fact, if you go to the SimHQ forums page you can see the number of views and threads for some period. I don't know what that period is but I assume the numbers are for the same time period for each board.

Our numbers are middle of the pack which is not too bad for a 20 year old sim.

It is true that we don't have many posters but I've said many times that we have a lot of lurkers and based on the number of downloads Mr. Jelly has been tabulating we have a small but dedicated following.

So with those numbers in mind I'd rather be an optimist than a naysayer.

Thanks.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4342407 - 03/06/17 07:15 PM Re: Vintage EAW Flashbacks threads [Re: FsFOOT]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I came to SimHQ because of EAW. I'm pretty sure Murphy did too.

Still on my hardrive and is the only flight sim I still fire up.

So you do have some friends.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.