#4342875 - 03/08/17 07:13 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Love southern rock!

That Molly Hatchet clip reminded me of that old Molly Hatchet joke:

"We were trying to get a Molly Hatchet cover band to play at our reunion, but they wanted too much money...so we got Molly Hatchet instead!" lol

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4342877 - 03/08/17 07:25 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: Force10]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Force10
Love southern rock!

That Molly Hatchet clip reminded me of that old Molly Hatchet joke:

"We were trying to get a Molly Hatchet cover band to play at our reunion, but they wanted too much money...so we got Molly Hatchet instead!" lol

That joke could be applied to SO many bands. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4342883 - 03/08/17 07:29 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Last time I heard Tuesday's Gone on the radio it was Metallica's cover.

Which is itself 20 years old now.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4342959 - 03/08/17 11:23 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Heh. "Freebird" is like "Stairway to Heaven". "Oh no, not again!" eek

Yet, without those songs in their appropriate themed playlists, they would be incomplete.

These overplayed songs will always have a place on my playlists and it never fails, I'm only tired of hearing them until I actually start hearing them again. In other words, I never truly tire of them. smile

++++++++++

Great stories, DBond! cheers I have a couple Skynyrd-related stories (none nearly as good as yours) and I'll come back after dinner and post them.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4342984 - 03/09/17 01:38 AM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ok, here goes (I'll keep it as short as possible)...

Story #1: Love interest, you knew this was coming. smile

Summer of '84, between 11th and 12th grade. Dating my wife (my only real girlfriend) for about half a school year and getting cold feet, feeling smothered. The real problem was that the relationship wasn't...progressing...like I wanted. Worse was that I was complaining to my friends about it, getting laughed at between tokes. Lol. Gave her the speech, "Let's take a break, a little space, I'll see you back at school after summer vacation." She took it ok (no drama), maybe more disappointed than I expected. Well, good, it would give her something to think about.

I was good for a couple of days but she called my bluff and made no attempt to contact me (remember corded phones?). Uh oh, did I fork up? Then about a week later, one fateful night after my parents had gone to bed, I locked my bedroom door and made a mistake...

I had two white matching pump hairspray bottles, one full of hairspray, the other full of whatever cheap hard liquor I could swipe from the cabinet (dad loved cheap K&B Drug Store gin, I'd replenish with water to the marked line). Popped in a Skynyrd 8-track (their debut “Pronounced...” I believe) and by the time “Tuesday's Gone” came around, I was kinda gone myself. Then it hit me and I knew, I was going to cave...completely.

Lesson is, if you're playing chicken with a relationship and you don't want to be the one who flinches, don't drink and listen to “Tuesday's Gone” (or modern day equivalent)! biggrin Seriously, that song will always be in my musical holy of most holies, one of only a handful that really send me back in time.

++++++++++

Story #2: Middle School (5th or 6th grade?), a good friend takes me into his older sister's room and shows me a concert ticket to see Lynyrd Skynyrd at LSU (Assuming the Assembly Center [basketball arena]). Their plane crashed on the way to that concert, she couldn't part with it for a refund (bet she still has it).

I remember the crash was a really big deal around these parts.

BTW, lot's of interesting connections between Lynyrd Skynyrd and 38 Special, besides Ronnie/Donnie Van Zant.

++++++++++

Not something I'd want to run or workout to, but what a great damn song (as are the other Skynyrd songs posted)!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWADo6KPzA

The sun is in the east
#4343029 - 03/09/17 01:32 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: DBond]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by NH2112

I can not STAND Lynyrd Skynyrd LOL

Haha, they're one of my favorites of all time. I've been playing guitar for almost 40 years, and I've always looked up to the guitarists in Skynyrd. For most of their existence they used three guitars. I love the way they wove those three together, without stepping on each other. It's beautiful really, in my view.

Sure, Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird get too much airplay, and I bet the vast majority of folks couldn't name another Skynyrd song. Well, maybe Simple Man, That Smell or Gimme Back My Bullets, but beyond that I have my doubt. But there is so much more to them than the mainstream hits. I'll name a few of my (not-so-well-known) favorites

Needle and the Spoon
You Got That Right
I Know a Little
Saturday Night Special
On the Hunt
Cry for the Bad Man
Ballad of Curtiss Loew
Preacher's Daughter
Poison Whiskey

So many more. Great band. Top three for me. But I get that others won't agree.

Semi-interesting sidebar.... Ed King (Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabama et al) attended my grandma's church after he left the band. The man himself showed me Sweet Home Alabama, and showed me how he played all of the little fills in that song.

It's kind of funny, maybe 20 years or so ago I had a few of their CDs, and a 3-disc best of set that had all the songs you listed and then some (Double Trouble, White Dove, a shortened acoustic version of Free Bird, etc), and it was almost like one day I put a disc in and said "I don't like any of these songs any more!"

The classic rock stations up here play all the songs you listed. In fact, you can tune in to them and odds are that at least one of them will be playing Skynyrd, Aerosmith, AC/DC, The Doobie Brothers, or 1 or 2 other bands. That's the main reason I don't listen to the radio, I doubt I like 1 in 50 songs they play. Aerosmith in their drug years is the only band of those 4 that I can somewhat stomach LOL.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4343064 - 03/09/17 03:13 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's cool Phil. There's no accounting for taste. I don't like the Grateful Dead or Kiss, but everyone else seems to like them.

MarkG, I'm afraid that's my only cool Skynyrd story. Wait there's one more...

Back in like 1992 we were playing a gig and some drunk guy in the crowd starts yelling Free Bird. We were essentially a grunge cover band playing Nirvana, STP, Pearl Jam and that sort of stuff. We were in the middle of Black Hole Sun if I recall correctly. Well, the guy keeps saying it and soon half the crowd is chanting/screaming Free Bird. On stage, we're all looking at each other with grins on our faces. I mean, Free Bird is a jam we've played a thousand times in the practice cave.

The singer smiles and nods and I unplugged and jumped off stage to find a beer bottle. I mean there's no slide in grunge and I didn't have one with me. So I find a hot chick with a beer, I ask her for it (manners, you see) she gives me the bottle, I guzzle what's left and break it over the corner of my Marshall stack. So rock and roll. I take the bottle neck and slip it over my finger and the whole band stops dead. It;s like we had rehearsed it. At this point I'm laughing hysterically. I have a beer bottle slide with a very jagged edge over my finger. The jagged part is at such an angle that if I hold it normally it would play the adjacent strings and it would sound like crap. So I have to extend the wrist out and away so the slide just contacts the E string so I plug the Les Paul back in and start playing Free Bird's opening. The place goes freakin' nuts. I mean, we are a grunge band and everyone there is for that music, as it's the in-thing back then. But when they heard the opening notes to Free Bird they just went crazy. What a night smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4343072 - 03/09/17 03:17 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I don't like the Grateful Dead or Kiss, but everyone else seems to like them.

I've tried a few times to get into the Dead but they're just not my cup of tea. As far as Kiss goes I only like their hit songs.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4343074 - 03/09/17 03:19 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Ditto. The Dead just leave me wondering "what's the big fuss?"

I feel the same about KISS' showmanship, but I liked a handful of their songs.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4343101 - 03/09/17 04:13 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh in follow-up to the story in my last post, we ended up just taking requests for the rest of the night. We thought the bar's owner would be pissed as he paid us to play the grunge stuff. But when we were loading the truck afterwards he came up to us and told us that our version of Kashmir was the best he'd heard and it was his favorite song. Gave us an extra $100 and invited us back in two weeks. He wanted us to do a Zep set. So we did. I love Zep smile

#4343109 - 03/09/17 04:39 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: DBond]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
It's cool Phil. There's no accounting for taste.

Hey, I think Rush is the best band of all time, more than anyone else I know what it's like to hear people say they don't like your favorite band LOL

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4343112 - 03/09/17 04:53 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: NH2112]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NH2112

Hey, I think Rush is the best band of all time, more than anyone else I know what it's like to hear people say they don't like your favorite band LOL

LOL

Personally I love Rush even though they've really not made anything memorable in my opinion after about the year 2000. I remember listening to "Clockwork Angels" and then about 2 weeks later I could barely remember what I listened to. None of it stuck.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/09/17 04:54 PM.

#4343123 - 03/09/17 05:18 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
DBond, that last story was awesome! biggrin

BTW, we did a Zep tribute band last year (ZoSo) and thought they were great.

Musician board discussing this band (with nice pics)...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/saw-zoso-last-night-zep-tribute-band.1639438/

When I have time, I need to update (replace) some broken-linked pics in a few threads here.

++++++++++

Rush sucks. Lol.

I know people who *really* dislike anything Rush. That's cool, there's allot of music I don't like, it's all preferences. When asked what's the appeal, I guess because I was a messed up weird kid (not uncommon) and Rush was kinda weird. It was by chance, really, had a cousin ditching all his 8-tracks (including all Rush through Moving Pictures), sold them to me cheap. Hey, what's this? That's pretty good.

PM, I've said it before, I wish you would have gone to the previous "Time Machine" concert vs. "Clockwork Angels", you would have enjoyed it allot more. Still, CA was worth it to me to make the trip to Orlando, also spent a day Disney. Probably my last since they no longer cater to people who want to walk.

++++++++++

I'm listening to Skynyrd and .38 Special all day today while I hang blinds and shudders. tuner

The sun is in the east
#4343131 - 03/09/17 05:30 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by MarkG
DBond, that last story was awesome! biggrin

BTW, we did a Zep tribute band last year (ZoSo) and thought they were great.

Musician board discussing this band (with nice pics)...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/saw-zoso-last-night-zep-tribute-band.1639438/

Thanks.

Tell me more. You play?

I'm a member at the Gear Page too but I haven't posted there in a long time. Skimmed over that thread. My Marshall is a JCM800 too. 2203 100 watt monster of tone!! biggrin

#4343132 - 03/09/17 05:33 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

Probably my last since they no longer cater to people who want to walk.

LOL! Yeah the demographics of the audience for the Rush concert I went to in Ft. Lauderdale was interesting. It was entirely white and I'd say the median age was probably around 40-45.

#4343147 - 03/09/17 05:52 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Is Southern Rock still alive today? And I mean with mainstream audiences and not underground local band stuff.

It's kind of getting lost/mixed with mainstream/outlaw country...but there is still some.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4343218 - 03/09/17 08:30 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I agree Weez, and do not forget one of the current best at it bands, The Cadillac Three (previously The Cadillac Black, American Bang & Bang Bang Bang dizzy )

The South

I'm Southern

Party Like You

White Lightning

The Sticks

Last edited by David Kennard; 03/09/17 08:30 PM.

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4343220 - 03/09/17 08:33 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: MarkG]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
TBH any song that is well-liked and really quite good can be ruined by overexposure.

I know of many songs that I've heard people say they hate and the ONLY reason they could express as to why was "heard it too much." Often they'll admit they liked it the first few times they heard it, but after the dozenth time got sick of it.

The Jedi Master

#4343227 - 03/09/17 08:53 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: DBond]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
DBond, I don't play, only a Fender acoustic to unwind, and I'm not very good (no rhythm or sense of timing). I had an Ibanez once with a Peavey amp, sold it (and quit guitar lessons) to buy an engagement ring. I sucked anyway, but I do miss trying. Now I'm playing around on my mom's keyboard in my man cave, I suck at that too. smile

However, I really do enjoy live performances, looking on with appreciation and envy.

I found that webpage because I was looking for reviews before seeing ZoSo.

The sun is in the east
#4343230 - 03/09/17 09:00 PM Re: Southern Rock, Hell Yeah! [Re: Jedi Master]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Jedi Master
TBH any song that is well-liked and really quite good can be ruined by overexposure.

I know of many songs that I've heard people say they hate and the ONLY reason they could express as to why was "heard it too much." Often they'll admit they liked it the first few times they heard it, but after the dozenth time got sick of it.

Personality? I'm simple (it would *really* show in PWEC) and when I find something I like, I usually don't tire of it, at least not indefinitely.

The sun is in the east
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.