Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4341317 - 03/01/17 04:12 PM Suncom SFS conversion and Matrix scanning tutorial  
homicdalbrainiac Offline
homicdalbrainiac  Offline

NV
Hello!

I just started my own flightsim cab build and decided to roll my own USB joystick controller, which could also be adapted to handle other flight sim input controls like landing gear, com/nav buttons, etc. It's still a work in progress, but I would appreciate any feedback you guys can provide. I'll use the ideas I get back over the next week to help improve the content, which will hopefully be a good resource for others attempting to convert or make their own flightsim controls.

Key matrix scanning:
http://weirdscience.us/index.php/2017/02/27/matrix-scanning/

SFS conversion:
http://weirdscience.us/index.php/2017/02/26/200/

Eventually I will incorporate outputs on the controller, for things like geardown lights, master caution, buzzers, buttshakers, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited by homicdalbrainiac; 03/01/17 04:19 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4341334 - 03/01/17 05:51 PM Re: Suncom SFS conversion and Matrix scanning tutorial [Re: homicdalbrainiac]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Suncom USB conversion is easy to do and have some samples around, e.g using MMjoy2 can be done with little money, or with ready to use Leo Bodnar Bu08336A, DSD boards... or custom PCB like this, besides the sample that you link.

The problem is Suncom "Saturn Ring" gimbal that don't allow easy install of contactless sensors (HALL, mag'resistance...) and the used pot' seems a proprietary type, due gimbal construction need be replace with same type - that is no longer available....

In the end is more easy use only their "F-15'ish" grip in other gimbal, DIY, borrow from other joy or Baur BRD, etc.

#4341476 - 03/02/17 01:49 PM Re: Suncom SFS conversion and Matrix scanning tutorial [Re: Sokol1]  
homicdalbrainiac Offline

NV
Hi Sokol1,

I wasn't aware of your work with MMJoy- really cool! It looks like you put a lot of work into it and made it feature rich. Will it ever support feedback or HID outputs for lights or sounds?

I noticed the problem you mentioned with the gimbal and pots. It's exactly as you said (the grip is probably the thing that interests people most); however, I do really like the feel of the spring return instead of using the cams most gimbals use. I think I will try machining a new gimbal but use the same kind of centering mechanism. I would also like to replace the linear pots on the SFS throttle with rotary ones, due to the huge dead spot around the half throttle setting.

#4341601 - 03/02/17 10:52 PM Re: Suncom SFS conversion and Matrix scanning tutorial [Re: homicdalbrainiac]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Originally Posted by homicdalbrainiac
Hi Sokol1,

I wasn't aware of your work with MMJoy- really cool! It looks like you put a lot of work into it and made it feature rich.

MMjoy2 firmware is done by Mega_MOZG - hats off for them. thumbsup

Since he is Russian and have difficult with English I did the topic for spread the idea. wink

MMjoy2 is only for input (axis, buttons/encoders), no Force Feedback support, has limited output for LED, but this depends on simulator export data - is compatible with War Thunder.

Suncom SFS throttle is very easy to convert for USB, their grips use 2 diode matrix, basically need add one wire - optional for utilize button 22, in original Suncom wire just replicate button 21.

Can replace the sliding pot by rotary using R/C ball link connectors, but will need use gears for make pot turn all course ~270º - since "joystick" pot with ~30/60º is very hard to find.

#4342040 - 03/04/17 05:16 PM Re: Suncom SFS conversion and Matrix scanning tutorial [Re: Sokol1]  
homicdalbrainiac Offline

NV
That's really cool! Yeah the throttle conversion was amazingly easy once I figured out how diode matrix scanning works. The ball link connector idea sounds easier than what I had in mind, I might just give that a try. smile Thanks!

I'll post more once I get a rough simulator cabinet up. I plan on making two, one which has a very arcade machine feel to it for all my favorite flight sims on MAME and another one which is more realistic for military simulations on the PC (Warthunder, DCS, etc.)

Last edited by homicdalbrainiac; 03/04/17 05:21 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.