Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4339786 - 02/23/17 05:15 PM Looking for headset recommendations  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
It seems that it's one of those parts of my PC that has gotten very little love. I'm using a Plantronics Gamecom 380 which I bought a few years ago when my older Plantronics Gamecom 360 bit the dust. I went with these primarily due to pricing and was satisfied with the old one that I just bought the "upgraded version" when it came to it.

I've been reading up on reviews and watching YT videos but I'd like to hear from those of you that have gaming headsets. I'm hoping to get a wireless one this time around and was looking to get a Steelseries Siberia 840 but there seems to be none in stock in the UK; closest stores that has it on stock is France and Poland. I'm not really looking for THE MOST EXPENSIVE headset; I am willing to spend a bit of money if the product warrants that extra cash.

As I said earlier, I'm looking for something wireless this time around but I'd also want a good mic --- the Sibera 840 and the 800/H series before it seems to fail in this category. Well, not fail exactly, but not what I'd expect from a headset of that price. I'm guessing most good headsets should also have positional audio.... way back when, I used to have a cheap headset (Logi?) and I was playing KOTOR and for some reason, I always thought someone was behind me washing dishes or something and I would always look behind my chair to find nobody's there. I realized that my in-game character was in the bar and it was the sounds of the bar that I was hearing. Super cool!

I'd like to hear recommendations from personal experience and if anyone has any experience jumping from a cheap headset to a quality one, I'd like to hear those as well!

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4339842 - 02/23/17 09:32 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I reviewed the Logitech 933's last year. I still LOVE these things. I know you'll like this: they've got RGB but it can all be disabled. LOL
I paid $175 and they were easily worth it. Looks like they're listed at $135 today.

My review:
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4267751/1

933's:
933 at Amazon

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4339845 - 02/23/17 09:45 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
This old thread might be a good starting point:

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3861181/need-a-wireless-gaming-headset

When I finally could not jury rig the broken Logitech G930 headset any further, I bought a Corsair H2100. It has held up physically much better, not having the brittle plastic that the Logitech had in a couple of key parts. The Corsair's battery life is not quite as good as the Logitech 's was, but it isn't bad.

As for the sound quality, I would advise looking for opinions on that from somebody else. I like mine just fine, but my hearing is quite compromised, courtesy of submarine engine room noise.

#4339849 - 02/23/17 10:08 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the input, RK! I kept hearing about the "Artemis" on the review sites but didn't peg this for the Logi 933s. Thanks for the review! How are they now? Any new thoughts?

Cy, wow, that's an old, old, OLD thread there dude! As for sound quality, I'm still interested in hearing people's input... I guess the only bit that would disqualify anyone is if they were deaf to start with, but why are they using headphones in the first place!??! biggrin

- Ice
#4339862 - 02/23/17 11:38 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I didn't really think about the "Artemis" part either. LOL
I really like them. If you want great sound, get some true headphones and add a Mod Mic or something like that to them. Gaming headphones will always fall short of similarly priced "real" headphones. That said, these are as good as any others I've had other than one set I had many years ago, the Turtlebeach AXT's. Those were a mess of wires, one of the first made for the original Xbox. It had a great amp, nice drivers and actually plugged into an outlet to power them. LOL
These are nice and the eq lets you tailor the sound. The mic is convenient, stows away so nicely I can't always find it. It mutes with either the button or putting up the mic boom. Volume is easy to find, even if not as convenient as the old G35's with the large cylinder.

On some video reviews, it was mentioned that these slipped off of some peoples' heads too easily. That hasn't been my experience, although I did have that experience with some others. They are VERY comfortable. These cups are probably the only ones I've had that actually go around my ears, not on them at all. Even most "over ear" headphones would still rest on my ears some, getting uncomfortable after a while. These are still very nice to use.
Battery life is still excellent. Full charge is good for 12 hours according to the config utility with my settings, 13 hours with all lighting off. I leave the G logo lighting on so when I take them off I know if they're on/off.

I'm picky, that's why I went through so many. I'm settled on these. If the dog tore them up I'd buy another set.
thumbsup

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4339865 - 02/23/17 11:55 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by - Ice
Thanks for the input, RK! I kept hearing about the "Artemis" on the review sites but didn't peg this for the Logi 933s. Thanks for the review! How are they now? Any new thoughts?

Cy, wow, that's an old, old, OLD thread there dude! As for sound quality, I'm still interested in hearing people's input... I guess the only bit that would disqualify anyone is if they were deaf to start with, but why are they using headphones in the first place!??! biggrin

Naaah... I'm old. That thread isn't even old enough to get into kindergarten yet! winkngrin

The headphones are to keep me out of legal difficulties (AKA divorce) when I want/need to listen to things at a higher volume... or way too often when the dialog is at one level and then the sound effects or music are WAAAAY louder. My bride does not need me inflicting that upon her. smile

#4339897 - 02/24/17 02:57 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: CyBerkut]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
I really like them. If you want great sound, get some true headphones and add a Mod Mic or something like that to them. Gaming headphones will always fall short of similarly priced "real" headphones.

Yeah, I've heard of Mod Mic but that's a wired setup again which kinda negates the point of a wireless headset frown Are there any "mod mic" wireless solutions?

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
I'm picky, that's why I went through so many. I'm settled on these. If the dog tore them up I'd buy another set.

How exactly did you "go through so many"?? Did you buy them then return them? Or buy them and sell off the ones you didn't like?

Thanks for your update regarding the headset though! I really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by CyBerkut
The headphones are to keep me out of legal difficulties (AKA divorce) when I want/need to listen to things at a higher volume... or way too often when the dialog is at one level and then the sound effects or music are WAAAAY louder. My bride does not need me inflicting that upon her. smile

Translation: I don't want her to know when I'm watching pr0n! biggrin biggrin biggrin Hehehehe...

With the gaming room now including my two sons' computers, I don't really want to be flying BMS with the sound blaring over the speakers so I want to use the headset. However, having bought a UTC Mk II (wireless TrackIR active sensors), I want to go wireless with the new headset.

- Ice
#4339901 - 02/24/17 03:11 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Some I've kept until something happened to them, or I upgraded but there have been some I tried for a while but returned.
True about the Mod Mic, it's wired. Or last I checked. Mine was.

#4339905 - 02/24/17 03:17 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Just checked the Mod Mic website now... still wired frown

I'm still not familiar enough or comfortable enough with the "return policy" here... plus I think I'll pay for the return shipping anyway so I'll still be out-of-pocket even if I return a headset. I could go to the local brick-and-mortar but I don't think they'll look too kindly on me opening 2-3 boxes and trying out the headsets.... even though they can't really say anything.

- Ice
#4339926 - 02/24/17 05:10 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I pretty much only buy on amazon, so returns are no big deal. There aren't many local stores for this stuff, much less competitively priced.

#4340036 - 02/24/17 03:11 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ice, I use a Steel Series. It's wired though. I like the pull-out mic, since I can hide it when not in use so the kids don't break it. The ear cans are very comfortable. Sound quality is excellent, if a little light on bass. Biggest downside is noise cancellation, but that's not an issue for me unless the dog is going nuts barking at a squirrel or something. I also don't like the placement of the volume/mute switch so far down the cord, but I never have to use it so not a big deal.

I think my model is Siberia 350.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4340174 - 02/24/17 10:32 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks DBond! I've been checking out the H or Siberia 800... there's no place to get a Siberia 840 locally frown I'd totally be all over this but the issue with the poor mic (considering the price!!) is what's keeping me away. I've watched a few videos and I don't really want to sound like an airline pilot over the cabin PA system.

Check out 3:25 in this video:

linky

- Ice
#4340191 - 02/25/17 12:27 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
...HUH...

Charlie Foxtrot Uniform I can't read you. WTF over?

smile

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4340526 - 02/26/17 09:36 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I am looking at the Siberia 800 series myself. Seen some reviews that really tear into the mic others have said it's just an average mic.

I keep getting distracted by the Arctis 7 though, every time I start looking at the siberia I get distracted by the Arctis. That's been getting positive reviews on most pages and priced around the £160 mark, which is a lot better than the Siberia H.

I tried a 930 and found it to be a little uncomfortable, thinking the 933 might be the same.

#4340533 - 02/26/17 09:52 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

What is it about the Arctis 7 that distracts you? I've not come across it on the review sites I've been to.

- Ice
#4340542 - 02/26/17 10:56 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Looks very nice, Uses Ski Band for over the head padding plus the price.

And all reviews I've seen so far have been positive

#4340556 - 02/26/17 11:58 PM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Which ones? Mic demo didn't sound very good.

@ 1:50 of this video:

linky

Then again, I wasn't too impressed with the review.

- Ice
#4340557 - 02/27/17 12:03 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
He goes from studio quality mic to the headset mic.

That will always standout.
Most other reviews I've seen have been good and I'm starting to look at them seriously

#4340558 - 02/27/17 12:09 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, that's the problem. That's why I like the Man O'War vs. Siberia 800 video above, a direct comparison between headset mics and the 800s is clearly inferior.

For the price of an Arctis 7, have you considered the Man O'War?
Also, can you link the good reviews you're reading? Thanks!

- Ice
#4340564 - 02/27/17 12:44 AM Re: Looking for headset recommendations [Re: - Ice]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Yeah, I've looked at those, one of the cons for me on the Man o war and the 800 come to mention it, is they both look quite bulky.

I use a set of wired HyperX cloud at the moment which are a good wired headset for the price, good sound and mic and slightly discreet looking.
But most importantly light and the most comfortable headset I've ever had.

However the Mano War are a lot cheaper than I expected, on Amazon for £130. I had assumed they were in the £200+ bracket

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.