Hop To
#4338038 - 02/16/17 07:45 PM Powerline Adapters  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Anyone use one of these? I bought a house a few months ago. The router is installed near the front of the house, and I have a PC near the rear of the house. WiFi is spotty there at best. So I was considering a powerline adapter to get better internet at the rear location.

Just curious if anyone has any experience and what I should look, or look out, for? It seems a good solution but perhaps there are things I haven't considered.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4338060 - 02/16/17 08:59 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Get a gigabit one if you can. Something like this would work. Note that it also has a "passthrough" feature which means you can still use your outlet (goes without saying you don't plug this on an extension cord). Other kits don't have this and you're basically losing a wall outlet when using it. Here's a few kits that are available to me locally, my kit was like the one at £45, but with passthrough for both adapters. It's only 600Mbps which isn't an issue as far as internet speeds go (max of 200Mbps with my ISP), it's only an issue when trying to transfer files between computers outside of my game room... which luckily doesn't happen often.

- Ice
#4338097 - 02/16/17 10:53 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I tried one a couple of weeks ago. My router is across the kitchen from our bedroom, so there are fluorescents and a microwave directly in line with the device I was wanting to improve.
It was reportedly a gigabit device and was highly recommended on a few sites. The price was right so I gave it a shot.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0136Q9QJK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Our house was built in 1998, the wiring is fine. Not that big, a single breaker box.
In our bedroom, it was horrible. Any outlet, which of course are all on the same breaker, but a different breaker than where the router and source adapter was.
Tried it on the far side of the living room, about the same distance, but where it WAS on the same breaker as the source adapter and it worked brilliantly. I can't confirm it was 1Gb, but the status light confirmed a solid signal whereas in our BR it was weak but not the worst indicator. Strangely, the top status light only guaranteed 80Mbps, far from 1 Gb, so I don't know what it was really getting.

It wasn't going to work, so I sent it back. I DO think it's worth trying before going to more expensive options, like an AC router if you don't have one and/or a repeater.
Just be sure you can return it easily if it doesn't work in your situation, like with Amazon. Play around with placement some.

In the end, I managed to improve things moving my router about 5' and changing the height a foot or so. Now I get a good 5GHz signal which does better than a full 2.4Ghz signal when on a Steam Link. 2.4 Ghz just doesn't have the bandwidth for Steam Link.

*One thing I did not experiment with, that I should have, is running the adapter between the modem and the router. Using that to relocate the router might have made a huge difference and they could've stayed on the same breaker.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4338296 - 02/17/17 02:07 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Hi Derek, I was in the same situation ever since our last move to a new location over a year ago.

Went with those TP-Link powerline adapters with pretty good results.

Had some connection problems from time to time during online gaming but ever since a firmware update and switching off a hidden, not documented power saving feature in those adapters they work as advertised.

Of course a connection speed of 1200Mbps is not realistic. The most I can get in my home is around 500 Mbps.
Which is more than enough for my needs.

For online gaming activities I prefer them any day over a WiFi solution.

Time is the only luxury.
#4338321 - 02/17/17 03:00 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Frank!!!! Wow, great to see you. How have you been? Miss our old get togethers.

Thanks for the info gents. It was Ice who turned me on to these things. I had never heard of them before.

RK, could it have been because your house is relatively new and uses arc fault breakers? I understand those will kill the signal for these adapters? One concern I have is the house I bought was built in 1901 or thereabouts. Some of the wiring is quite old. I have an electrician coming Sunday to have a look and give me an estimate on getting it up to standard. Maybe I can have him bury some Cat 5 in the wall and run it to the back of the house. Otherwise, I'll have to get one of these powerline adapters.

#4338332 - 02/17/17 03:41 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
I've had mixed experience installing these in homes here,

New Homes (as in never lived in, newly complete) we installed Power Line Adapters, w/ brand new Romex etc, they worked great, especially in homes with great circuit layouts.

Older homes w/ smaller gauge wiring and confusing Circuit paths, not so much, We ended up running Cat5e in the walls and putting Network Wall Plates.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 02/17/17 03:42 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4338350 - 02/17/17 04:48 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
NimRud Offline
NimRud  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: DBond

Thanks for the info gents. It was Ice who turned me on to these things. I had never heard of them before.

RK, could it have been because your house is relatively new and uses arc fault breakers? I understand those will kill the signal for these adapters? One concern I have is the house I bought was built in 1901 or thereabouts. Some of the wiring is quite old. I have an electrician coming Sunday to have a look and give me an estimate on getting it up to standard. Maybe I can have him bury some Cat 5 in the wall and run it to the back of the house. Otherwise, I'll have to get one of these powerline adapters.

Derek, still thinking about the good times we had together on those virtual circuits in GPL and GTR2 all those years back! And we were old even then! driving old_simmer

Got caught by the racing bug again after a break of several years and spending all my gaming time on a xB1 console during that time almost exclusively.
Now I´m back in full swing into PC gaming and trying out old and new games from different genres. Plus the costly hardware upgrades that are suddenly needed much to the joy of my wife. biggrin

If you ever would like to play a game we both can agree on count me in!
Maybe something slower like a turn based strategy game played by e-mail for a start? smile2

Time is the only luxury.
#4338351 - 02/17/17 04:50 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS

I don't know anything about home wiring to answer that, but it wouldn't make much sense to me for them to create the technology that wouldn't work with a standard breaker box. Sometimes you just have to get creative and move things to get "around" the problem area. Like I described, even moving the router a foot or two up/down or around can make a difference in certain situations.
There are simple repeaters that might get you fixed up. Plug in an outlet and sync up, maybe go into a menu to configure some options. I used this one for a while:
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-Wireles...7ZWNXNQ2Q6E70JA
It was great for getting around the problem area for HD streaming to the bedroom. It just wasn't quite enough for the steam link, which is very demanding. Once I moved the router around, that was enough for the 5GHz. I had hoped the powerline adapter would be a better option, but for me it wasn't.

I'd still give the powerline adapter a shot. You can always return it. If it works, it may be your best bet. You could even hook up a wifi access point to it instead of just your device to get wifi around the house. Cheaper than an hour of labor for an electrician.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4338370 - 02/17/17 06:48 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Note that there are powerline adapters that also function as WiFi extenders....

- Ice
#4338427 - 02/17/17 09:41 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: NimRud]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: NimRud
Plus the costly hardware upgrades that are suddenly needed

Just built a new box a month back, the details are in a thread a little lower down the list. I was pretty much only playing strat games and RPGs the last few years, but with the new PC I got back in to F4 and that's what I've been playing lately. The only racing sim I've driven the past few years is Asseto Corsa, which I see you also have? I do miss the competition in our GPL leagues.

Yes, count me in too, it will be good to catch up. I don't know what to suggest. Do you fly F4? smile Maybe some PBEM Combat Mission or something like that?

As for the powerline adapter I appreciate the feedback. I'm not looking for blazing speed, just a stable connection for flying F4 and other MP stuff. The PC won't be in this room forever, I am converting another room to an office/guitar room/driving-flying 'pit. But that's far from done.

These things aren't too expensive so seems worth a punt. I'll know more after the electrician on Sunday.

#4338445 - 02/17/17 10:27 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Push comes to shove, run a cable from the router to the PC via the ceiling or something...

- Ice
#4338569 - 02/18/17 01:48 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, we'll make that plan B biggrin

I have to have the wiring upgraded in certain rooms of the house, and who knows what the electrician will find. That's not up my alley so I need a pro. The previous owner upgraded the electric in some rooms --kitchen, master bedroom--, but not others so it's sort of a mish-mash. I need to get that taken care of ASAP as it worries me. Need to get it up to standard. I don't see why he couldn't or wouldn't run some Cat 5 while he's at it.

But if for some reason he won't, I'll get a powerline adapter.

#4338580 - 02/18/17 02:53 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Just curious but wouldn't these power line adapters be putting your hardware at risk from a power surge not protected by your surge protector/ups?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4338643 - 02/18/17 08:07 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Nixer
Just curious but wouldn't these power line adapters be putting your hardware at risk from a power surge not protected by your surge protector/ups?

Not sure what you mean. With a passthrough adapter, the adapter itself is plugged onto the wall socket, then I plug the surge protector/UPS into the adapter. If there is a power surge, the adapter might go poof! but I don't see how the rest of the hardware is at risk.

I don't see why he couldn't or wouldn't run some Cat 5 while he's at it.

Is there a certain distance after which the cables lose signal or degrades in performance?

- Ice
#4338666 - 02/18/17 08:59 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: - Ice]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Originally Posted By: Nixer

Not sure what you mean. With a passthrough adapter, the adapter itself is plugged onto the wall socket, then I plug the surge protector/UPS into the adapter. If there is a power surge, the adapter might go poof! but I don't see how the rest of the hardware is at risk.

I don't see why he couldn't or wouldn't run some Cat 5 while he's at it.

Is there a certain distance after which the cables lose signal or degrades in performance?

Most answers out there say Cat 5 limit is 100 meters. Cat 6 limit is considerably longer, but I would imagine Cat 5 should be sufficient for nearly every home installation.

#4338973 - 02/20/17 06:34 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks CB, that will be more than adequate for my home.

Update: So the first electrician declined the job. Not a good sign. Need to get number two in soon.

As for Nixer's question, which is a good one, truth is I don't know. From what I've rad most (some?) of these powerline adapters are fused. And there is also the option to run the Cat 5 through surge arresters or something similar.

But it's a fair question that I really should know the answer to.

#4338996 - 02/20/17 07:40 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
They also advise you to plug the adapter directly to the outlet, not through a surge protector.

#4339263 - 02/21/17 03:35 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Living in central FL lightning country I run all my important electronics thru DUAL surge protectors.

Prolly overkill but oh well.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4339307 - 02/21/17 06:54 PM Re: Powerline Adapters [Re: DBond]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I got FPL surge protection, on the outside of the house.

Since then, I've not had a single device lost to lightning. Of course, the last time I did it came through the cable, not the power lines. Fried my hub and my network card in my PC, although somehow the cable modem itself survived.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.