Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4337223 - 02/14/17 10:41 AM EAW on Linux in Wine AppDB rating now..  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

EAW 1.28e accepted for Silver rating - Wine 1.6.2

That means it works, but multiplayer is not yet tested really or it would be Gold.
Platinum is the highest and means everything works out of the box 100 %
To get that you have to have no errors and no configuration changes so the extracted string files (see my page about errors) would need to be included. Also it has to be a complete download to qualify.

Category: Main Games Simulation Games Racing & Flight Simulation European Air War

ASAP I will get to later versions like 1.29 1.30
later 160 maybe.

Test rigs; ----------
I'm shuffling around pc parts and linux versions for some other tests, so again a delay before I do much other.
Wine 2.1 is now out and available via ubuntu wine staging https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/Installation
I did try Wine 2.1 on my old test machine. Not yet on my laptop maybe tomorrow I can get a quick test.

It worked poorly (2-10fps) on my old p4 1.7 single core + 1GB RAM + radeon hd2400 - which now I have Mint Mate 18.1 Serena on - with a d3d err and clogged framerate.
Maybe my driver or need extra settings on the Wine interface. Wine 2.1 has some test settings I have not tried yet. And not debugged output yet.
Also overhead is a bit pushed on the 1 GB Ram

Thats with the Ubuntu/Mint stock X.org 1.18.1 driver and GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
Its not an AMD supplied driver, etc.

I may swap cards to nVidia as my old FX5700VE is supported by the nVidia driver made by nVidia and I'd like to try that. Also I like to get my horizon fog back on! It actually gets horizon fog on XP with that card, same pc.
--
My Toshiba Laptop has np so it should work fine on it. I would just like to get a network test with the other setup and see if mulitplayer tcp/ip works. I'm sure it does if I install DX into Wine o other tweaks I see no issue as EAW era DirectPlay is fairly standard old POC that works mostly anyway.

As to testing Glide I think it would require the wrapper. Have to check if the nVidia card I think supported glide well

I move slowly toward the goal.

Currently here is #1 rated in this category:

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/14/17 10:56 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4338525 - 02/18/17 07:38 AM Re: EAW on Linux in Wine AppDB rating now.. [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Interesting to note the list of Microprose games which people have submitted test results:

from https://appdb.winehq.org/
Browse by Developer
Microprose

Rating ------------ Tested Wine version
B-17 Flying Fortress 2
1.0 Garbage 1.5.18
2.0 Garbage 1.1.44
GOG.com Garbage 1.8.1

Civilization II: Multiplayer Gold Edition
1.3 Silver 1.6.2

Dark Earth
1.0 Garbage 1.1.43
1.1 Bronze 1.9.18

Diplomacy
Hasbro (1999) Bronze 1.4.1

-------------------------
European Air War
1 Garbage 0.9.34.
1.2 Garbage 0.9.8.
1.28e Silver 1.6.2
1.29 Basic Bronze 1.6.2
-------------------------------------

Grand Prix 2
1.0B Garbage 1.6.1

Grand Prix 4
0.96 Garbage 1.1.39
German Budget Silver 1.1.18
v1.0 Gold 1.5.22

Grand Prix World
1.01 Bronze 1.3.6

Gunship!
1 Garbage 0.9.40.

M1 Tank Platoon 2
1.2 Bronze 1.1.38

Magic: The Gathering - Shandalar - Manalink
1.0 Duels of the Planeswalkers Garbage 1.0-rc4
1.25 Bronze 1.3.37
1.3.2 Garbage 1.6.2
manalink 2.0 Garbage 1.1.11

Microprose GP500
1.0.1185a Platinum 1.5.8

Rollercoaster Tycoon
1.x Platinum 1.8.1
GOG Platinum 1.8.2

Sid Meier's Civilization
1.0 Gold 1.5.6

Sid Meier's Civilization II
1.0 Bronze 1.4.1
2.42 Bronze 1.6
II Bronze 1.3.5
Test of Time: 1.1 Silver 1.3.16
Ultimate Classic Collection Silver 1.4.1

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
1.0.2 Silver 1.5.23

Star Trek: Generations
1.0 Garbage 1.6

Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard
1.1 Garbage 1.9.1
Demo Platinum 1.0-rc4

Transport Tycoon
1.x Platinum 0.9.37.

UFO: Enemy Unknown
UFO: Enemy Unknown GOLD Garbage 1.1.15

X-COM: Apocalypse
1.x Gold 1.4.1

X-COM: Interceptor
1.0 Platinum 1.0.0
1.2 Bronze 1.1.35

X-COM: Terror From the Deep
Collector's Edition Bronze 1.2-rc5
standard Silver 1.6-rc4

Most EAW version not tested yet. Particularly with fix for .str not found errors, etc.
Results will be Gold if multiplayer works.
I'm sure multiplayer can work.
I have not yet tested since I am redoing my network here at home and still working on some Linux pcs.

#4338528 - 02/18/17 08:22 AM Re: EAW on Linux in Wine AppDB rating now.. [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Note that games may work even if they don't appear in that list.
The list is submitted/accepted test results by end users / testers.

Wheteher any games working or not in Linux, just as Windows or any OS depends on the right Video Card driver.
Of course Linux is a bit complex and not Windows so there are often other issues.

Hardware mfg. support. (Intel is now well supported (but has closed drivers only they have the source to),
AMD weak and nVidia usually OK but not always) depends on what card you have.
And to some extent the type of Linux, Unix-based or Mac and hardware used.
In Linux there are various drivers, some supplied by mfr. some by mfr. releasing code, some by collaboarations, independent open source.

Currently, there is a lot of great progress.
But frankly due to money and mfg. monoply games the current situation is hard to predict.

You may or not know the huge stuff going on with the major players Intel, AMD, nVidia, Microsoft, Red_Hat Linux, Suse Linux, IBM, etc.

For sure there will be a lot better situation overall, (technology advancing and graphics and drivers) with some big caveats that;
no one knows exactly what the results of the monopoly game shifts will be next year or two specifically per all the drivers, other than those that have code released.

You see AMD is being stingy with their driver stuff and well.. they all do or don't do stuff depending on what deals are in the works.
AMD is making a big deal with Microsoft or is it? Intel??). Microsoft is trying to of course stop Linux but they can't so they have made deals trying to block some stuff. On the other hand they release some stuff to some people since they have other deals.
-Ususually they get something in return -- some technology developed by Red-Hat Linux, other companies, programmers, knowledge, etc.

Interesting M$ now has ability to use the BASH shell (basically the long term commandline tools of unix / Linux.
Basically like the Powershell in Windows and more really.

This is very interesting. And actually might solve a problem we have in EAW.
You see MrJelly's tools almost all are coded in Visual Basic, which is a M$ thing really and not supported on Linux.
(Wine can run some VB programs to some degree but frankly its an ugly thing I would not try to support)

But really the same things for example OAW Selector does or any 'skin manager' and a lot more can be done by just using a script with the shell / commandline.
In Linux a ton of stuff is configured by BASH scripts. Often also Python programming scripts are used also in conjunction since python is well supported across Linux / Unix world.

So we would need someone to use BASH on Windows to run the later EAW's. Or Tony to reveal his programs details.
Then, assuming M$ has not made too much hacking of BASH then once you have a BASH script it should work on Linux with some adjustments probably.

Otherwise code in another cross platform language.

Also note that its not needed to use like dirset utility, etc. on Linux there are tons of tools for such things.
And anything that Tony's programs can do in VB can be done.

Whoops - Just to clarify; no disrespect to Tony or his programs and they are certainly more than just skin or file-managers.
I mean in terms of getting the game set up and useful on Linux (and btw of wine can also apply to MAC and so forth).
The idea is not replace Tony or useful stuff, but to just apply what is needed to a cross-platform method.
This is needed if EAW would advance on non-M$ OS.
It also will be very handy later because if some want to go to the cloud and an app type of approach someday.

IMO idea EAW can actually be spilt and installs to server and client. There are multiple ways.
In conventional ways a good Linux / Unix server could for example run various terminals where some could login into a server running EAW multiplayer Host server connected to EAW clients on the server, as a process or in a VM (Virtual Machine). Or simply the files could be stored. Also in the cloud.

Anyway, just some thoughts..
We need to literally 'dig up' some open source geek recruits to 'seed the torrents' of the future,

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/18/17 09:19 AM. Reason: Whoopsie
#4339133 - 02/21/17 05:12 AM Re: EAW on Linux in Wine AppDB rating now.. [Re: FsFOOT]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

The EAW 1.28e appDB area has screenshots I uploaded.
https://appdb.winehq.org/screenshots.php?iAppId=4841

Here's a couple I like the most.

All of these on Linux. Most of these on Intel Graphics on my laptop.
Also note good framerates.

#4339606 - 02/23/17 01:27 AM Re: EAW on Linux in Wine AppDB rating now.. [Re: FsFOOT]  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri - USA
I will have to check this out as I have several PCs on Linux.

Race you to the Mucky Duck!
#4340374 - 02/26/17 02:21 AM Re: EAW on Linux in Wine AppDB rating now.. [Re: FsFOOT]  
Uriah Offline
Uriah  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri - USA
So FsFOOT, tell me what I might need to do. I may not have any EAW disc anymore.

Race you to the Mucky Duck!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.