Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4337092 - 02/13/17 10:52 PM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Brigstock]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The easiest solution is to select custom weather at the campaign briefing screen before you click Go to Field. From the drop down menu, select either one of the three Clear Sky clouds or Few Wispy Clouds High. Done!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4337213 - 02/14/17 09:51 AM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Brigstock]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I'd still like some variation in weather etc, just not with clouds that lower than 2500-3000m

#4337487 - 02/14/17 11:56 PM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Brigstock]  
Sowercrowd Offline
Sowercrowd  Offline

Thuringia
...flying RoF and Il-2 CUP, i never missed the volumetric clouds in WoFF ,on the contrary ,i like the dramatic skies in woff being displayed with no performance loss when running 4 x SSAA, (but of course i'm limited by a 770 gtx). If you intend to fly in mostly clear weather, here's a little tweak you might try. Since WoFF 1 iirc, OBD decided to not use the old weather precip states of cfs3 any longer, but in fact, they still can be activated to some degree....I've been using them ever since ...so here's my suggestion: 1. Go to your OBD/Wings over Flanders Fields_UE/OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields/weather folder and make a backup of 'weather' folder (!) then 2. Open ' weather ' folder , go to ' Off_Clear Sky.xml' change: precipType ="HeavyRain" into :
precipType="NoRain", do likewise with ' Off_Clear Sky2.xml ' . 3. Open ' Off_Clear Sky3.xml ',change precipType to precipType="LightRain".
Obviously , you can go on with other fair weather xml files, 'Off_Few Fluffy Clouds.xml' , 'Few Wispy Clouds' etc. (but i don't think it makes sense to change any 'bad weather' states; these are linked with 'Off_ThickClouds-box.xml ). In general ,i think WoFF stock weather is best it in 80 percent of the time.It's a matter of taste in the end. 4. Enable 'Persistent Weather Stats ' in WoFF Workshop and 5. enable Custom Weather according to weather report. That's it. You'll now have expanded far horizon view that matches RoF ( LightRain) view distances or even supercedes them (NoRain). However, since these states are unoptimised heritage of cfs3 ,there are some issues, on my rig, i experienced flickering on the sea tiles and some rough terrain rendering in mountainous territory ,mainly Verdun et alsace lorraine .Again , it's a matter of taste. Best regards.

#4337506 - 02/15/17 12:55 AM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Brigstock]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Thanks Sowercrowd. I hate the fog on the horizon. Just got rid off it with your tip. Time to test ...

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4337533 - 02/15/17 03:29 AM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Hellshade]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Then again, 3D clouds tend to look very 'generic' from far away, but are more exciting to fly through. Kind of a mixed bag either way, IMHO.

^ This. smile

I have never seen volumetric clouds that come close to the photographic realism "at distance" of jpg clouds. And if given an "either/or" choice, I would choose jpg clouds in WOFF because I don't live in the clouds in WOFF, I spend more time looking at the clouds.

In a civilian flight sim I prefer volumetric clouds where my entire flight might be under IFR conditions.

But I find the volumetric "cotton balls" at distance to be just as much an immersion issue as being close to a jpg cloud. And the volumetric clouds are getting better. But to me they still look like cotton balls stretched in different directions when you aren't flying inside them or right next to them.

I think the volumetric/jpg cloud question cuts equally in both directions. One day maybe we can have the best of both worlds! thumbsup

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4337542 - 02/15/17 04:15 AM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Brigstock]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
If we could just virtually 3D print the WOFF UE jpg clouds inside the sim in real time, everything would be fine. biggrin

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4337657 - 02/15/17 03:05 PM Re: Volumetric Clouds [Re: Brigstock]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
I don't think RoF does a bad job with it's clouds. But I do agree the cotton ball puff clouds that used to be in IL2 are not ideal.

I too like the look of the WOFF JPG clouds, just not up close wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80