Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4334752 - 02/05/17 02:52 AM AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
On Day 1, it had played well, but it wasnt impressive, Les said. Whats impressive is how this thing has learned and evolved, how much better it has gotten every day.

"Machines have learned a lot about how to play games. Twenty years ago, they figured out checkers, and 10 years ago they toppled the Russian grandmasters of chess. Even Chinas game of go has been solved. But poker remained firmly in the hands of humans"

By the end of the 20-day competition, the AI called "Libratus" was declared the winner, up more than $1.7 million in chips. This is a major milestone for AI, said Andrew Ng, a computer scientist at Stanford University who followed the tournament.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/how-computers-were-finally-able-to-best-poker-pros/2017/02/03/3d1fd8c8-e7fa-11e6-b82f-687d6e6a3e7c_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_poker-830pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4334798 - 02/05/17 01:07 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
AI is serious trouble for competitive advantages

it's worth investing heavily into AI companies, but you might want to use AI to analyze your stock purchase first.. seriously!

#4335288 - 02/07/17 01:32 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Interesting thought VF9_L. For years of course brokers and others have been using software programs to assist them in making client investment decisions. The extent to which more advanced AI may someday make buy, sell or hold calls though is intriguing.

#4335289 - 02/07/17 01:39 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Were they trying to make that woman look like Caprica Six in that pic? She looks a bit like Tricia Helfer.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/07/17 01:39 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4335467 - 02/08/17 12:28 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
The matter with AI playing these sort of games, being it chess or cards (including poker) is that these games (or other similar ones) have a limited number of possible moves and as such there's also a limited number of possible actions (even if we're talking about large thousands of possible moves) and therefore you can compute all those possible moves and actions into a dedicated "AI" and since computers can access memory banks (where the moves/actions are stored) much faster than humans then there's no surprise that an AI can beat the "best humans" in such games.

However if we're talking about games which aren't limited by a number of strict moves/actions and where you can always devise and come up with new and very different actions like for example in an open world simulator than I'm sure the result would be far different (and definitely not favourable to the AI).

Honestly I don't think that we're seeing that much of an AI evolution nowadays as the media likes to report. To be honest I don't think we're having an evolution at all in terms of AI - We just need to look at computer games which traditionally are the "vanguard" of AI technology and if we look at this example (computer games) I would even say there's a stagnation or even a small step backwards in terms of AI evolution.

Now the great technological advance of nowadays is IMO the electronic component miniaturization or the so called nanotechnology which allows for example an AI that previously in order to run it would require a somehow big computer like a desktop or even bigger now this same AI can be fitted in much smaller computers that can be fitted inside the head of humanoid robots or even inside a small drone/UAV.
As such I believe that many people confuse this with an actual AI technological advancement.

#4335517 - 02/08/17 03:23 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It's this an annual AI event of some sort? I believe 2/10 is the anniversary of the Big Blue chess win.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4335765 - 02/09/17 02:33 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Nanotechnology in my opinion is not the only significant technology helping to advance AI. We're also making significant advancements in physical mobility of machines as well as technology designed to make processing units aware of their surrounding physical environments

The AI evolution is under way and when you start looking around at companies like Nvidia and other tech companies whose stock is really beginning to surge you start to see the trend

#4335866 - 02/09/17 08:08 PM Re: AI Beats Some of the Worlds Best Poker Players As The Computer Began To Learn More and More Each Day of the Tournament [Re: Haggart]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Haggart
Nanotechnology in my opinion is not the only significant technology helping to advance AI. We're also making significant advancements in physical mobility of machines as well as technology designed to make processing units aware of their surrounding physical environments

Well I believe that you are actually agreeing with me, albeit and apparently a bit "unconsciously".
We already had excellent AIs in the recent past (likely better than many AIs developed today) which were well aware of their surroundings. For example I like to mention the AI from SWAT 3 and 4.
However this AI is only aware of their surroundings in a virtual world/map.

However nanotechnology allows the development of much better sensors while at the same time being much more compact/smaller which makes the AI much more "aware" of a real world surrounding and at the same time nanotechnology also allows the development of much better and again much more compact/smaller and effecient actuators which together with the ability to store the AI routines in very small spaces and together with the previously mentioned superior and compact sensors allows the AI a much better mobility in the real world.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.