Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31
#4338526 - 02/18/17 07:46 AM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Great work, guys. Would you, BuckeyeBob and OldHat, join your effort and negotiate on some final formulas/conditions, then I would be very glad to code some simple app for randomizing and implementing it into the campaign dynamic weather file.

#4338571 - 02/18/17 01:55 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I've already tested wind speeds in campaign mode.

9 or 10 are near gale force winds
7 or 8 are strong winds
6 or 7 are light wind
5 and below are barely noticeable

I can suggest you randomize based on the "OFFHistoricalWeather19XX.txt" located inside the campaigndata\weather folder.

4 <--- Look at this value
Still very poor, dud in places
None
None
EOR

It ranges from 1 to 6, so if the number is:
5 or 6 = 7 or 8
3 or 4 = 5 to 7
1 or 2= 4 and below
If description says "very strong winds" or "gale" then use 9 or 10

Then you can change the background weather speed as well as all the other wind speed values. If you can also change the wind direction, that would be great.

Last edited by OldHat; 02/18/17 02:01 PM.
#4338610 - 02/18/17 05:33 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: JJJ65]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JJJ65
Great work, guys. Would you, BuckeyeBob and OldHat, join your effort and negotiate on some final formulas/conditions, then I would be very glad to code some simple app for randomizing and implementing it into the campaign dynamic weather file.

JJ65;

That sounds promising! Can you explain in general how you expect the integration to work? I am very interested. I expect you are thinking of JAR as the mechanism to interface with the WOFF core code but this is just my personal thought. I love absorbing the details and find it informative.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4338618 - 02/18/17 06:11 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
The wildcard is the DynamicWeather file. I no longer have CFS3 on my computer. Is the DynamicWeather file a program created by OBD?

In any event, when using the Auto Weather dropdown box, the wind speed and wind direction come directly from the cloud type .xml file. What happens under the hood with the DynamicWeather file after that I am less sure about.

I need to do more testing later today before I can comment on what effect the variables in the historicalweather file have on wind speed and direction, although I'm sure they do interact with the DynamicWeather file program.

Sorry for the cross post.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4338622 - 02/18/17 06:24 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
JJJ65 Online cool
JJJ65  Online Cool

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Originally Posted By: JJJ65

JJ65;

That sounds promising! Can you explain in general how you expect the integration to work? I am very interested. I expect you are thinking of JAR as the mechanism to interface with the WOFF core code but this is just my personal thought. I love absorbing the details and find it informative.

Best Regards

Honestly, as already suggested by OldHat in his PM, I plan to implement this option as a new feature to Mission Editor. Also, I do not have any clue how to seamlessly attach it to WOFF, since WOFF is written in Visual Basic and I do not have access to its source code sigh .

#4338650 - 02/18/17 08:20 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

>>If you can also change the wind direction, that would be great.<<

As posted above..

I have been doing a bit of trial and error on the very simple and short "weather.xml" file in the "C:\OBDSoftware\WOFF\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields" folder.

There are lines that indicate 'wind speed and wind direction' with default values of 0'. I believe it is back ground weather. I assumed that it was in meters for speed, but I don't know. The direction line is probably compass point degrees.

I changed the vales from 0 to 5, then 15, and even 25; to see if there was a noticeable effect in flight.

I couldn't say that there a dramatic effect in wind speed, but I believe I noticed changes. Same for direction.

But then it could be the "placebo effect". It seemed very much more obvious in the cockpit view.

Perhaps those that are much more familiar with the weather files (I was just fooling around on my own, spurred on by this thread and others) know more about this xml file's use.

I have AI Weather Mode on in the workshop.

#4338775 - 02/19/17 03:41 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
DukeIronHand Offline
Hotshot
DukeIronHand  Offline
Hotshot

High over the Front
Nice work BuckeyeBob.
I didn't think it was possible for WOFF to be more awesome (or at least some awesome variety) but I guess I was wrong.
Always said modders are the key to any sims longevity and I am glad to see it happening here.
S!

#4339854 - 02/23/17 10:55 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Sorry for being AWOL for a few days. Had to deal with some family matters.

Bucksnort and DukeIronHand, thank you very much! I'm glad you are enjoying the weather mod. I am working with PanamaRed to release some new cloud types in a week or so, which will hopefully add even more realistic type weather into the game.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4339860 - 02/23/17 11:31 PM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: OldHat]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by OldHat
I've already tested wind speeds in campaign mode.

9 or 10 are near gale force winds
7 or 8 are strong winds
6 or 7 are light wind
5 and below are barely noticeable

I can suggest you randomize based on the "OFFHistoricalWeather19XX.txt" located inside the campaigndata\weather folder.

4 <--- Look at this value
Still very poor, dud in places
None
None
EOR

Be careful playing around with the historical weather file. The number 4 noted above controls which weather type is loaded into the game, with 1= Good 2 = Light 3 = Medium 4 = Variable 5 = Heavy and 6 = Precipitation. As Oldhat points out, the higher numbers result in higher wind speeds being loaded by the DynamicWeather file. However, the number (1 - 6) also determines what cloud type will be loaded. But, not all cloud types are in each weather pattern. Furthermore, each cloud type has a setting for both wind direction and wind speed. However, it also appears the DynamicWeather file overrides the wind speed settings found in the various cloud type files. As far as I can tell, the wind speeds loaded by the DynamicWeather file only come in three flavors: 3, 6, and 8 mph.

Interestingly, I noticed if you load a specific cloud type using the Auto Weather button in the Briefing screen, you will get exactly the wind direction and wind speed set in that cloud file. So, for example, I was able to create a 40 mph wind by altering the wind speed setting in the cloud file. As I said, however, the DynamicWeather file overrides this if you don't use the Auto Weather button.

#4340585 - 02/27/17 02:08 AM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks Buckeye Bob,im using your mod along with Triple J,s editor which incorporates OldHats wind mod..they work perfect

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4340591 - 02/27/17 02:21 AM Re: Weather Mod -- Part One [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thanks, Adger. Great to hear.

I expect that the cloud mod that I and Panama Red have been working on will be out in a few days.

#4342227 - 03/05/17 09:12 PM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Version 1.25 of the Weather mod is now available by clicking on the link in the first post in this thread.

Changes include:
1) Changing the name of the mod from "WOFFUE Weather Mod" to WOFF UE Historical Weather Mod."
2) Fixing a small error to the OFFHistoricalWeather1917.txt file. Weather from July to 31 December 1917 is now working as designed. Thanks, JJJ65 for catching this error!
3) Adding a short readme file to the zip file.

The mod is JSGME ready. Just unzip into your WOFF\Over Flanders Fields\Mods folder. Enjoy!

#4342235 - 03/05/17 09:40 PM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
WOFF UE Optional Clouds Mod Now Available!

After much work and with the advice and assistance of Panama Red, the WOFF UE Optional Clouds Mod is now available. This mod is designed to be used either as a separate mod or as a compliment to my WOFF UE Historical Weather mod, which has just been updated to version 1.25.

From the readme file:
The WOFF UE Optional Clouds mod adds 44 cloud types (more than doubling the number of cloud types found in the original game). Eighteen of these additional clouds are from Panama Red's Weather Additional Types 1.1 mod, eighteen are from my new mod, and eight are original files from PR's mod that I modified slightly to include new, improved fog and mist effects -- thank you, Panama Red, for kindly granting me the permission to use these clouds from your earlier mod.

Although the current mod is specifically designed to be used together with my WOFF UE Historical Weather Mod, it can just as easily be used separately as a standalone mod with the stock WOFF UE game. When used with the WOFF UE Historical Weather mod, the additional clouds contained in this mod should more realistically depict the build-up and passing of weather fronts in the game. Clear or fair weather clouds should gradually give way to increasing clouds and eventual precipitation, with clouds then generally decreasing after the passing of each front.* Overall, the user should notice that fair weather periods have a greater variety of fair weather clouds, while heavy or wet weather will have a greater variety of thicker and more threatening clouds.

*Note: Due to the design of the CFS3 game engine, it is impossible to have total control over the weather patterns in the game. Actually, this is a good thing, because it introduces a degree of randomness to the weather you will see on any particular day as you play different pilot careers.

Features:

Clouds: 44 additional cloud types, including 1 clear, 2 cirrus, 6 cirrocumulus, 2 altocumulus, 3 light cumulus, 11 medium and medium-heavy cumulus, 6 heavy or overcast, 5 rain, and 2 mixed cloud types, along with new fog effects.

The original WOFF UE contains approximately 30 different cloud types. However, a majority of these types are variations on different cumulus cloud formations, particularly light cumulus clouds. Therefore, this mod significantly increases the variety of different cloud types you will encounter in each of your pilot careers.

Wind: Although wind speed values largely conform to those from the original game, they should now be somewhat more variable. Wind direction is also slightly more variable, so that winds from a westerly direction (SW, W, and NW) now occur approximately 74% of the time instead of 82%.

Miscellaneous: While this mod is compatible with OldHat's Strong Wind mod and Panama Red's Thunder and Lightening mod, it is not currently compatible with PanamaRed's Weather Additional Types mod. Activating this mod will overwrite several settings in the Additional Types mod, so it is recommended that you deactivate that mod before you use the WOFF UE Optional Clouds mod.

A link to the mod can be found below and at the end of the first post in this thread. Finally, thanks again to Panama Red, who was the original source of inspiration for this mod, and who very kindly lent me both his advice and assistance, as well as his permission to use several clouds from his original mod. A tip of the bowler to Panama Red!

WOFF UE Optional Clouds Mod 1.0

#4342263 - 03/06/17 01:20 AM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

BB
Will your cloud mod work with 4L0M's latest Cloud Mod or SkyBox Mod?

#4342268 - 03/06/17 02:01 AM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
It should, since 4LOM's mod only changes the .dds files.

#4342271 - 03/06/17 02:44 AM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks BuckeyeBob for this,il try it out later when I get in from work.
I've already downloaded and enabled with JSGME and it doesn't overwrite any of 4LOMS work so I'm also assuming it works fine.
Thanks again pal.

We will remember them.
#4342283 - 03/06/17 04:50 AM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
cptroyce Offline
cptroyce  Offline

Buckeye thanks. Looks like a great mod addition to WOFF UE

#4342544 - 03/07/17 02:04 PM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Just a quick heads up BB,1st of all thank you for this mod some of the settings in game look great. I am having a slight issue however mate.

I get a flickering horizontal line when ANY fog is selected in the weather option in QC mode mate..The mist options and all the others are fine but the fog ones give me this issue.

Ive tried Trackir on/off disabled 4LOMS clouds,tried different times of the day in game,Sweetfx on/off and i still get this just with fog,im wondering if this issue replicates itself at your end?
Best Regards
Adger

We will remember them.
#4342577 - 03/07/17 04:06 PM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: Adger]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Hi, Adger. Always great to get feedback, even if reporting a problem.

Can you describe the problem in more detail? When do you notice the line? Are you increasing/decreasing altitude, what altitude are you at, etc? I've noticed this "line" sometimes in other cases, particularly when flying through a thin layer of clouds, so I'm wondering if this is when you are seeing it, too? Also, is it a white line or a gray line?

There are several files that use the fog effect, including four types of "plain" fog and two cloud and fog files. Do you see the problem in all six files? Thanks.

#4342613 - 03/07/17 06:27 PM Re: Historical Weather Mod -- Now With Optional Clouds [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi BB..the line is noticable even during takeoff mate. I also have noticed the line when flying through clouds etc.

Id say its more of a white line,and its like 2 different colored textures of the game below and above the line,and it seems to me at least to be occuring with all 6 "Fog" files..the 4 fog ones and the 2 that incorporate the clouds.

Its a strange one because every other type is fine including the mist files,im just wondering if anybody else who uses your mod is seeing the same issue Pal.

Thanks again BuckeyeBob cheers

We will remember them.
Page 2 of 31 1 2 3 4 30 31

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.