Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4331991 - 01/27/17 01:31 PM Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
I added Panama Red's Thunder & Lightning mod. Immediately, I was pleased that I did so because the rumbling sound of thunder really adds so much to the atmosphere!

However, I did notice something strange. Every time the thunder roars (I've yet to see lightning), my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 stick vibrates. Sometimes too if I'm pitching up or doing some seemingly gentle maneuver, I can hear the sounds of my air frame stressing. It seems like the thunder is registering stress on my aircraft.

Unless there is a new weather phenomenon I've never heard of, this seems all wrong. The force feedback happened every single time thunder sounded, but the air frame stress sounds only happened every so often.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to fix this "bug"?

I'd hate to lose this wonderful feeling of thunder, but I don't think this is normal.

#4331995 - 01/27/17 01:39 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Guru

I also have a MS Force feedback stick. I don't think there are many of us here with one.
I haven"t used that mod since WOFF 3 and I don't recall that happening. I will test it out and report back.

Cheers

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4332005 - 01/27/17 01:51 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Guru

I also have a MS Force feedback stick. I don't think there are many of us here with one.
I haven"t used that mod since WOFF 3 and I don't recall that happening. I will test it out and report back.

Cheers

Thank you, Robert.

I have no idea what improvements (if any) have been made to the Ultimate Edition's weather engine, but thunder really, really adds so much to the sim. It would be a shame not to be able to use it. I can see it getting a little annoying after a while having feedback with every thunder strike.

Please let me know what you discover.

#4332024 - 01/27/17 02:43 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: The_3rd_Guru
Guru

Cheers

Thank you, Robert.

I have no idea what improvements (if any) have been made to the Ultimate Edition's weather engine, but thunder really, really adds so much to the sim. It would be a shame not to be able to use it. I can see it getting a little annoying after a while having feedback with every thunder strike.

Please let me know what you discover.

Guru;

I flew a QC mission with weather set to "Thunderheads" and when flying I heard the tunder but felt nothing on my stick. The only vibrations I got back during flight were a couple of shots when I approached stall speed while climbing up into the clouds. I was flying a Pup.

Maybe it is a scenario thing. What aircraft were you in and was it QC or Campaign mission?

(System_Specs)

#4332170 - 01/27/17 10:45 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Robert,

Oh . . . that's interesting.

I've been flying the B.E.2 training missions. Perhaps it's something to do with that.

I'll try another plane and see if this happens again. And I'll trying a Quick Combat fly around.

Thank you.

#4332203 - 01/28/17 01:00 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I used that mod a lot, but I noticed that when lightning struck my game would freeze momentarily. Have you had that happen to you?

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4332984 - 01/30/17 02:55 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
I flew a QC mission with weather set to "Thunderheads" and when flying I heard the tunder but felt nothing on my stick. The only vibrations I got back during flight were a couple of shots when I approached stall speed while climbing up into the clouds. I was flying a Pup.

Maybe it is a scenario thing. What aircraft were you in and was it QC or Campaign mission?

Hey, Robert. I just flew a Quick Combat with a Nieuport 10 during a thunderstorm, and the exact same thing that I described before happened.

However, I don't know why I hadn't realized this before, but it hit me that while I get force feedback when I'm taxing or landing on the ground and when I fire my guns, I don't get any force feedback at all when I'm flying. I can bank, turn, pitch up and down, but . . . nothing, no forces at all.

Perhaps the strange lightning problem is related not to this mod but to my force feedback in general.

When I use FSX, Rise of Flight, and Cliffs of Dover, I have full and complete force feedback.

#4333007 - 01/30/17 03:21 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Here's an addendum to my previous message.

Now that I realized that my force feedback wasn't working as it should, I did a search and found an old post about this in which Oldhat gave a solution .

He recommended changing the FFB values for the elevators and ailerons in each plane's xfm files to 160 and -160 respectively.

I did this, and - low and behold - I finally had force feedback when I'm flying! (Thank you, Oldhat! Your one-and-a-half-year-old advice has drastically improved my enjoyment of this sim!)

I then did another flight through thunderheads, but - yet again - force feedback and air frame stress registered for every thunder strike.

I don't understand what would be causing this. I looked through all the files in Panama Red's mod, but none of them seemed related in any way to force feedback.

Last edited by The_3rd_Guru; 01/30/17 03:31 PM.
#4333285 - 01/31/17 09:22 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
All my Thunder and Lightning Mod did was bring back the original CFS3 thunder and lightning.

I did tweak it so the thunder and lightning was at longer interval times between each strike versus the original thunder and lightning which was about every 10 seconds in CFS3.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4333332 - 01/31/17 01:06 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: Panama Red]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Originally Posted By: Panama Red
All my Thunder and Lightning Mod did was bring back the original CFS3 thunder and lightning.

I did tweak it so the thunder and lightning was at longer interval times between each strike versus the original thunder and lightning which was about every 10 seconds in CFS3.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, I don't think what I'm experiencing is directly related to your mod, per say. It seems like the native thunder effects are triggering some kind of aircraft stress. Some how when thunder sounds some information is telling the sim to apply stress to my plane. This in turn causes the force feedback.

I just don't know how to correct this, and it's even more perplexing because I seem to be the only person experiencing this!

#4333349 - 01/31/17 01:55 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

Hey, Robert. I just flew a Quick Combat with a Nieuport 10 during a thunderstorm, and the exact same thing that I described before happened.

However, I don't know why I hadn't realized this before, but it hit me that while I get force feedback when I'm taxing or landing on the ground and when I fire my guns, I don't get any force feedback at all when I'm flying. I can bank, turn, pitch up and down, but . . . nothing, no forces at all.

Sorry I missed the activity on this thread lately.

I don't know why you are having these experiences but I just realized that I have a custom flight model active in which I have adjusted th force feedback for aircraft I normally fly. I will have to try flying without this mod to see if I get the same results you do. I will report back probably late this evening

Cheers mate

Perhaps the strange lightning problem is related not to this mod but to my force feedback in general.

When I use FSX, Rise of Flight, and Cliffs of Dover, I have full and complete force feedback.

(System_Specs)

#4333444 - 01/31/17 05:59 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Perhaps the lightning-related FFB reactions are being caused by the sudden change in barometric pressure produced by the rapid heating of the air in the lightning channel. I'm sure the devs modeled this into the sim engine.

winkngrin just kidding

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4333585 - 02/01/17 02:02 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada

Sorry I missed the activity on this thread lately.

I don't know why you are having these experiences but I just realized that I have a custom flight model active in which I have adjusted th force feedback for aircraft I normally fly. I will have to try flying without this mod to see if I get the same results you do. I will report back probably late this evening

Cheers mate

This probably won't help you much but here is the result of my test. I flew an Albatros DIII (for my friend Olham biggrin ), with thunderstorms on and I deactivated my special flight FM so I was flying with stock WOFF UE FM's. I had force feedback effects on take off (ground bumps) and force feedback resistance when banking (this varies with the type of aircraft you fly and some have almost no feedback when banking.) I didn't however get any force feedback effects during lightning or thunder.

So what is the answer you ask? I really don't no. I would suspect that possibly you need to go back to complete stock WOFF UE and try it if you haven't already. Also try flying an Albatros DIII to experience banking resistance. If you don't get any then something is wrong and I suspect it is something with activated mods but that is just a guess.

Let me know how things go.

(System_Specs)

#4333588 - 02/01/17 02:27 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Robert,

Thank you so much for trying. I really appreciate your help here.

Yeah . . . I think (sometime) I'll try to deactivate everything and try different planes. I guess I can live without thunder if needs be.

By the way, can I ask you an additional question?

I wasn't getting any force feedback under stock FMs. However, when I altered the xfm files for the planes I was flying, I finally got force feedback. This came from the post I mentioned before that suggested changing the FFB values from 30 and -30 to 160 and -160.

This was for the Nieuports and I did the same for all Nieuports in the game. However, when I checked the Spads xfm files I noticed that there the FFB values were originally 78 and -80.

What I'm wondering is should I change the Spad values to 160 and -160 like the Nieuports or is there some determined ratio that I need to calculate and follow. 30:160 or something like that?

Thank you in advance if you can help. (And thanks again for the thunder experiment.)

#4333603 - 02/01/17 03:56 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Robert,

Thank you so much for trying. I really appreciate your help here.

Yeah . . . I think (sometime) I'll try to deactivate everything and try different planes. I guess I can live without thunder if needs be.

By the way, can I ask you an additional question?

I wasn't getting any force feedback under stock FMs. However, when I altered the xfm files for the planes I was flying, I finally got force feedback. This came from the post I mentioned before that suggested changing the FFB values from 30 and -30 to 160 and -160.

This was for the Nieuports and I did the same for all Nieuports in the game. However, when I checked the Spads xfm files I noticed that there the FFB values were originally 78 and -80.

What I'm wondering is should I change the Spad values to 160 and -160 like the Nieuports or is there some determined ratio that I need to calculate and follow. 30:160 or something like that?

Thank you in advance if you can help. (And thanks again for the thunder experiment.)

The ForceFeedback setting are something you have to play with to determine an acceptable level. It really just needs to be strong enough to give you the feeling that there is a force at play when you move the stick and of course is very useful when approaching stall speed as it gives you a very positive input that you best take appropriate action. Without feedback you have no warning and must watch carefully your air speed indicator. Generally when landing or taking off, I generally don't wrap my hand fully around the stick and this avoids all the strong vibration that you would normally get and I believe prevents unnecessary stress on the stick. (I think you will understand this last point and how to achieve it.)

Here is a link to my dropbox that contains custom FM's for select aircraft. It is in JSGME Mod format so just put the folder into your mods folder and activate it to test. I suggest first you look into the folder to see which aircraft I have modded and then test them out. You should see some subtle feedback difference but also I have changed the flight handling characteristics for these aircraft but the new WOFF UE closely resembles those changes so you may not notice it. The changes primarily were to allow for more sustained side slip to reduce airspeed when landing. At any rate you can look at the files to see what the feedback settings are.

Best Regards;
Modded FM's

(System_Specs)

#4333606 - 02/01/17 04:25 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Robert,

Thank you so much. I'll try those out.

Interestingly, I too noticed that side slips were a bit . . . well . . . ineffective compared to my experiences in sims like Rise of Flight and FSX. There are times when you are trying to land in limited conditions, but side slips, which I've used quite effectively elsewhere, just weren't doing what I expected them to be doing.

I'm eager to try out your changes.

#4333637 - 02/01/17 09:26 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
AnKor Offline
AnKor  Offline

Russia
Interestingly, I too noticed that side slips were a bit . . . well . . . ineffective compared to my experiences in sims like Rise of Flight and FSX.

That's an issue with certain aircrafts in WOFF that has bothered me for quite a while now. It just feels so wrong that it breaks any kind of "immersion" whenever I use rudder -- and ROF taught me to use rudder a lot frown

I know what causes it, I've spent hours trying to fix it by editing XFM files, but either it is a fundamental flaw or I'm missing something.

#4333662 - 02/01/17 12:28 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning Mod with Force Feedback [Re: AnKor]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: AnKor
Interestingly, I too noticed that side slips were a bit . . . well . . . ineffective compared to my experiences in sims like Rise of Flight and FSX.

That's an issue with certain aircrafts in WOFF that has bothered me for quite a while now. It just feels so wrong that it breaks any kind of "immersion" whenever I use rudder -- and ROF taught me to use rudder a lot frown

I know what causes it, I've spent hours trying to fix it by editing XFM files, but either it is a fundamental flaw or I'm missing something.

Ankor if you look at my FM's you will see what I changed and I have been able to model sustained side slip. I do believe that OBD have modelled this more realistically in WOFF UE for the most part, at least for the aircraft I fly. I haven't tried them all and my FM is set up for specific aircraft. You can do likewise for any you wish to test.

Any questions just PM me.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 02/01/17 12:30 PM.

(System_Specs)

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.