Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4332434 - 01/28/17 06:21 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: Vaderini]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Again:

Originally Posted By: Vaderini
The rudder issue is only there for people with twist sticks.

Most YouTubers that cover DCS have invested much more into flight sims and often are rocking a TM Warthog and comparable devices. It is perfectly understandable that they haven't encountered the bug and you really go too far by dragging them through the mud.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4332450 - 01/28/17 07:39 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Indeed. Don't know how many guys from flightsim website/streaming/youtube part of community got "promo" pre-release copies, but I know for certain that YoYo, Ralfidude, EinsteinEP and Bunyap use Warthogs with Saitek or MFG pedals, so how exactly would they report a bug affecting a hardware they don't own?

That would make the most possible scenario No. 3, but I guess it's not dramatic and evil enough for Straycat.

The question remains how long the LN and/or ED knew before admitting the bug a couple of days before release. I'd hazard a guess much earlier, but hitting the release deadline got priority.

#4332455 - 01/28/17 07:48 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

The Viggen hasn't been released yet.

#4332457 - 01/28/17 07:56 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25533-dcs-news/page-14 Post 637

Guy named nirvi from Switzerland

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 01/28/17 07:56 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4332468 - 01/28/17 08:21 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: KraziKanuK]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25533-dcs-news/page-14 Post 637

Guy named nirvi from Switzerland

Oooo, Normandy map IS getting the south of England ?...hope it isn't a five year wait like Las Vegas.

#4332524 - 01/29/17 12:16 AM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Yah and is not detailed on the English side.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4332543 - 01/29/17 01:02 AM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK
Best you can expect from ED given their current form if that's all they plan to do...more like a reluctant gesture on their part due to demand, "technically" it's the south of England...disappointing.

#4332550 - 01/29/17 01:33 AM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Another change of direction?

Further delays?

Probably!

No surprise!

Same old.

It's good in a way that Normandy includes this....but doesn't the Normandy map have a higher priority than the 2.5 merger!.......meaning the 2.5 release goes even further back assuming this change of direction adds more development time. I'm sure this features in ED's non-existent road map somewhere and probably meticulously planned years ago. Not.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4332595 - 01/29/17 05:00 AM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: FartHog]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted By: FartHog
Best you can expect from ED given their current form if that's all they plan to do...more like a reluctant gesture on their part due to demand, "technically" it's the south of England...disappointing.

That should be a 'small segment of the south coast of England'.

#4332631 - 01/29/17 12:28 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: FartHog]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
...I can think of something else that streams, it's yellow...and ED takes the greatest share.

LOL yep

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4332686 - 01/29/17 05:27 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: KraziKanuK]  
FartHog Offline
FartHog  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK

That should be a 'small segment of the south coast of England'.

Bet your bottom dollar when the deluded ED PR machine kicks in it will sound a whole lot more winkngrin

...rather pathetic after all these years the *actual* world this static non-combat training sim has is indeed a tiny one.

...if we could fly empty promises it would be good times.

#4332858 - 01/30/17 07:27 AM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: FartHog]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

[quote=KraziKanuK]

...if we could fly empty promises it would be good times.

I have to say thats quite a catchy line lol

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4332954 - 01/30/17 02:06 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I think this is unnecessarily harsh for an early access release on a beta branch.

The MiG-21 has been out a long time, its issues are hardly acceptable at this point, although depending on how you fly you may not encounter some of them (I would never notice the AOA thing because I would never try to fly like that, for instance).

The Viggen has not been released. It's not on the stable branch. It's not done, it's not claimed to be done. Why are people judging it as if it is? Don't bring up the MiG-21, because that's a different case. While in the end we may see that 2 years from now the Viggen still has issues, and that a pattern is forming, it's far too soon to claim it's already here. You can't say that whatever problems exist right now are indicative of how it will be when they stop work on it. That's a prediction, not a fact.

I think there is an ever-growing segment of the population who don't understand what early access is. Unfortunately, this also applies to some developers out there, I admit, so you need to be careful about which ones you purchase from.

The definition of early access is "in return for preordering the product you get to use an earlier development build before it's ready for release." This development build will be unfinished, unpolished, and in some cases unplayable depending on where they are in the process (maybe a fix to one system could suddenly break the landing gear making it blow up 100% of the time on take off and landing). That is to be EXPECTED.

What is NOT acceptable is for these issues to exist when it is released. That is when there should be nothing preventing you from flying and completing missions, although minor things like radio or nav quirks may still persist for awhile.

Now we have seen a disturbing trend, in DCS and elsewhere, of products spending as long in early access as most others spend in their entire life cycle. If it takes over 12 months from early access beginning to final release, well, early access began WAY too soon. Sometimes we see a product just suddenly get named release even though pretty much nothing changed from the previous build but the dev just wants to move on.

In these cases, they are treating release like it's the end of the cycle and they're not patching it anymore. That is the WRONG way to do it. Steam is full of early access titles that were still awful on release and in some cases were actually abandoned and never reached full release. That needs to stop.

EA should be what it was meant to be--customers granted beta access in return for preordering. As soon as it becomes two different things to the customers and producers--a way to make money on unfinished software that is secretly never planned to be completed while the customers expect the same product as a completed release and wail and gnash their teeth at every issue, even ones that make it unusable (which again should be EXPECTED), then EA should be stopped.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4332965 - 01/30/17 02:24 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
straycat Offline
straycat  Offline

I don't care. If I get a working rudder on an F5 on release day then I expect the same on a viggen. LN used to be that one 3rd party that was not a screwup. But that trust is gone now. Cobra released a broken rudder on release day. He decided this to be good enough for a 60€ price tag on release day which says a lot about Cobras work ethic and respect towards customers.

#4332973 - 01/30/17 02:40 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
So, while you guys are getting all wound up (again) with something new to bash (actually just the same old stuff as usual), I have been working my way through the Viggen tutorials, which now work much better in VR than before. After getting to grips with the most important systems I flew an anti-ship mission involving a low level ingress through mountain valleys, broke from cover at the coast, found the target on the (new) ground radar, closed to firing range of the (new) Rb04 anti-ship missiles while avoiding a barrage of SAMs fired by the target, launched them and high tailed it back to the cover of the mountains. All in VR (the Viggen cockpit is awesome in VR).. I landed with a huge grin on my face. It was awesome.

But yeah, this early access module sucks. Leatherneck sucks. Eagle Dynamics sucks. thumbsup

Btw, the rudder issue has been fixed for the next release (along with a host of other items). In the meantime, it can be tamed by switching off SPAK (as mentioned further up this thread by Skatezilla), or you can tune the rudder axis curve to negate most of the problem.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4332974 - 01/30/17 02:42 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
So what exactly is an EARLY ACCESS product on the BETA BRANCH? As opposed to an EARLY ACCESS product on the RELEASE BRANCH? Is there such a thing? If it's EARLY ACCESS, then it's beta. If it's released, then it's released.

You're making it sound that EA on BETA should have more leeway than any other EA product.

- Ice
#4332990 - 01/30/17 03:03 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I consider Early Access to be exactly that. It implies that the product isn't completely finished. Call it Beta, or even Alpha. It WILL have some rough edges, bugs etc. It is entirely your choice if you want to buy now, or wait until the module matures or you can choose to not buy it at all. Completely your choice.

Personally I don't care what branch it runs on. I never used the Beta branch before but it was a very simple process to switch to the beta build (maybe 3 or 4 clicks of the mouse when using Skatezilla's excellent utility). It was my choice to do that. Nobody forced me. I was up and flying the Viggen on the day they said it would be possible to do so, and it was a blast to fly.

I get that many here don't like the whole early access thing, but the bottom line is that you don't have to subscribe to it if you don't want to. Ultimately you can vote with your feet and not hand over your money until it is officially complete (and then you have more right to complain if it doesn't work as advertised).

Last edited by Paul Rix; 01/30/17 03:14 PM.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4332998 - 01/30/17 03:11 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: Jedi Master]  
bkthunder Offline
bkthunder  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I think this is unnecessarily harsh for an early access release on a beta branch.

The MiG-21 has been out a long time, its issues are hardly acceptable at this point, although depending on how you fly you may not encounter some of them (I would never notice the AOA thing because I would never try to fly like that, for instance).

The Viggen has not been released. It's not on the stable branch. It's not done, it's not claimed to be done. Why are people judging it as if it is? Don't bring up the MiG-21, because that's a different case. While in the end we may see that 2 years from now the Viggen still has issues, and that a pattern is forming, it's far too soon to claim it's already here. You can't say that whatever problems exist right now are indicative of how it will be when they stop work on it. That's a prediction, not a fact.

I think there is an ever-growing segment of the population who don't understand what early access is. Unfortunately, this also applies to some developers out there, I admit, so you need to be careful about which ones you purchase from.

The definition of early access is "in return for preordering the product you get to use an earlier development build before it's ready for release." This development build will be unfinished, unpolished, and in some cases unplayable depending on where they are in the process (maybe a fix to one system could suddenly break the landing gear making it blow up 100% of the time on take off and landing). That is to be EXPECTED.

What is NOT acceptable is for these issues to exist when it is released. That is when there should be nothing preventing you from flying and completing missions, although minor things like radio or nav quirks may still persist for awhile.

Now we have seen a disturbing trend, in DCS and elsewhere, of products spending as long in early access as most others spend in their entire life cycle. If it takes over 12 months from early access beginning to final release, well, early access began WAY too soon. Sometimes we see a product just suddenly get named release even though pretty much nothing changed from the previous build but the dev just wants to move on.

In these cases, they are treating release like it's the end of the cycle and they're not patching it anymore. That is the WRONG way to do it. Steam is full of early access titles that were still awful on release and in some cases were actually abandoned and never reached full release. That needs to stop.

EA should be what it was meant to be--customers granted beta access in return for preordering. As soon as it becomes two different things to the customers and producers--a way to make money on unfinished software that is secretly never planned to be completed while the customers expect the same product as a completed release and wail and gnash their teeth at every issue, even ones that make it unusable (which again should be EXPECTED), then EA should be stopped.

The Jedi Master

+1

#4333004 - 01/30/17 03:19 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
bkthunder Offline
bkthunder  Offline

I don't have the Viggen (and I'm not planning to buy it unless heavily discounted), but it's already giving me issues.
Any MP server hosting the Viggens now have #%&*$# a good chunk of my previously decent FPS.
The MiG-21 had exactly the same problem, seems that LN's 3d models are not optimized as much as those from other 3rd parties, or ED itself.

#4333011 - 01/30/17 03:27 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
You know when people say "what makes you think this DLC or campaign or module is pulling ED resources away from 2.5??"

Maybe they're right. DLCs and campaigns and modules do NOT take resources away from core ED, and that's why stuff is broken all the time. One side is not talking to the other, and we can see the result. So much for giving them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they would test stuff before they release it.

- Ice
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.