Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4331832 - 01/26/17 09:35 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Depends on your outlook.

If you preordered the Viggen expecting to play it on the day of its stated release...you shouldn't have.

If you preordered it because you know you will get it anyway, and wanted the 20% discount now because post-release it will be quite some time before a sale happens of that amount or more (based on historical precedent for LN's modules), then when it's actually ready on the release branch is a side issue.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4331847 - 01/26/17 10:12 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
bkthunder Offline
bkthunder  Offline

Hey come on, don't bash ED, they're just busy releasing the F-18 rofl via Imgflip Meme Generator

#4331853 - 01/26/17 10:35 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
popcorn

- Ice
#4331966 - 01/27/17 11:18 AM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

"update to open beta, take just few seconds..."

Kinda expected what's gonna happen. I started updating to open beta and once again DCS downloaded new updater to and stored it to users local temp folder in C:, then didn't use the .exe. The current updater just stayed "updating" and preventing me to open any other program in Windows, including task manager. Only solution was again to press reset button and start Windows again. Then I needed to locate the new Updater.exe, copy it from temp folder to DCS' bin folder and edit the command line and run it. This time it worked as should, but not before taking those steps mentioned before. Reason I knew what's going on is because when I re-installed DCS earlier long time ago, it made the same thing, (couldn't even install DCS), downloading the updater, and then to be able to access it and locking Windows.

Just a few clicks.... gee I wonder why people don't like messing around with DCS installs, looks like the installer always thinks DCS is installed on C: drive or something other crap.

Also basically forcing people to test their product is pretty lame, yes this forcing people to test it by making them install beta. I paid the product and was promised to gain access to it today, there's wasn't any mention about any prequisities. And yes ED & LN knew this long time ago, but didn't bother to tell, because that would have possibly affected pre-sales.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4332029 - 01/27/17 03:08 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Must've been either Windows itself, or antivirus getting too anal about mysterious executable being run off the Temp on system partition, 'cause I've never had updater failed on me in either of my three DCS copies.

But then I still use good ole' Win7 and non-intrusive AV program, while refusing to update to 10 until that thing is properly sorted biggrin.

#4332036 - 01/27/17 03:45 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

"But then I still use good ole' Win7 and non-intrusive AV program, while refusing to update to 10 until that thing is properly sorted"

Yea, well me too , but refuse to use 10 ever, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also my AV isn't blocking anything, nor I have any other "defender" on my system active, which could cause it. Also as running as admin all the time I certainly have all the priviledges needed. And this is the only happening with DCS.

But some people do have Windows (10) blocking those, should we now go to the question, what's the point pushing the files in locations where apps can't access them... When I'm running updater from K: there's absolutely no reason for updater to push files to Windows' system folders anyway.

Last edited by IceecI; 01/27/17 03:47 PM.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4332050 - 01/27/17 04:26 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
clarasdk Offline
clarasdk  Offline

Denmark
So if they would have put the Viggen in 1.5.5 and then the changes to the mission editor with new missile waypoints would have broken the mission editor for all players even those not using the Viggen would have been a better option?

I do not get the DCS players on this forum. You buy a beta product and then you cry because you have to use it in a beta version of DCS?

What does it matter if they told about this yesterday or one week ago? I do not see the big deal. At least they are stating what goes on and what does not work at the moment.

Just another reminder why I do not go to SimHQ that often anymore. Just to much crying about DCS and ED instead of discussing what is good and being constructive..... If the simulator is so bad why bother? Why not deinstall and fly something else? It is a hobby for crying out loud and nobody forces you do play DCS World or preorder the product!

Well I am happy that the Viggen came out on time today and I can live with using the app to switch versions depending on what I want to do.

Noob in current sims, but played tons of combat sims back in the 80's and 90's

Flying:
DCS World 2 Beta
Prepar3d primarily GA planes
Elite Dangerous

And I love games like XCOM, Fallout etc

System:
I7-2600k, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 gigs, 16 gigs memory,Thrustmaster Warthog, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek pro flight pedals and TrackIR 5
Saitek yoke, multipanel, radiopanel and switch panel
3* Dell U2414H

#4332066 - 01/27/17 05:23 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

clarasdk, I am quite sure you are aware ED sell it as release on 27th jan on 1.5 stable.
So, why are you trying to label people as crying?
(even without knowing above statement)

#4332071 - 01/27/17 05:36 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

You cannot release a module onto the Beta branch. You can only release a module onto the Release branch. THat is why it is called the Release branch! If a product is on a public testing branch then it is in public testing, not released.

#4332082 - 01/27/17 06:20 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: clarasdk]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: clarasdk

Just another reminder why I do not go to SimHQ that often anymore. Just to much crying about DCS and ED instead of discussing what is good and being constructive..... If the simulator is so bad why bother?

So...if you want to buy a car, toaster...whatever...you only want to hear the good and have the bad/issues swept under the rug?

Some members appreciate reading about things that might save them from making a bad purchase. If a module is not ready for
primetime...a lot of folks want to know this.

It just boggles the mind that people are too sensitive to handle reading about flaws in ED products. Especially since now they collect money for unfinished products.

Meh

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4332093 - 01/27/17 07:05 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: theOden]  
clarasdk Offline
clarasdk  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: theOden
clarasdk, I am quite sure you are aware ED sell it as release on 27th jan on 1.5 stable.

I do not see the big difference if it is release on 1.5.5 or 1.5.6 beta as it is a pre release beta aircraft anyhow.

As stated I think more people would be complaining if ED released on the stable version with new code that breaks it.

The Viggen update includes more than just the airplane but also changes to the mission editor etc. So that kind of stuff should always be released on a beta first to not potentially break the stable sim (that all people not having the Viggen from day 1 probably will stick with).

Flying:
DCS World 2 Beta
Elite Dangerous

System:
I7-2600k, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8 gigs, 16 gigs memory,Thrustmaster Warthog, Thrustmaster MFD, Saitek pro flight pedals and TrackIR 5
3* Dell U2414H

#4332094 - 01/27/17 07:06 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: Frederf]  
clarasdk Offline
clarasdk  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: Frederf
You cannot release a module onto the Beta branch. You can only release a module onto the Release branch. THat is why it is called the Release branch! If a product is on a public testing branch then it is in public testing, not released.

So you think early access is = to a fully released airplane?

To me it is cleary a beta release and therefore it belongs on a beta branch. Else I do not know why there should be a beta branch at all?

Flying:
DCS World 2 Beta
Elite Dangerous

System:
3* Dell U2414H

#4332096 - 01/27/17 07:13 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: Force10]  
clarasdk Offline
clarasdk  Offline

Denmark
Originally Posted By: Force10

Just another reminder why I do not go to SimHQ that often anymore. Just to much crying about DCS and ED instead of discussing what is good and being constructive..... If the simulator is so bad why bother?

So...if you want to buy a car, toaster...whatever...you only want to hear the good and have the bad/issues swept under the rug?

Some members appreciate reading about things that might save them from making a bad purchase. If a module is not ready for
primetime...a lot of folks want to know this.

It just boggles the mind that people are too sensitive to handle reading about flaws in ED products. Especially since now they collect money for unfinished products.

Meh

No if I buy something I want all the facts. The good and the bad. On SimHQ I find that many threada about DCS end up into being more negative than good. When somebody says something nice about the product or a module it takes like 5 second and then it is a discussion about how bad something is, how much better the dynamics campaign is in BMS etc.

Do I think that DCS is perfect? No, Does it have errors and missing features that needs to be added? Yes, Are ED good at keeping deadlines? No

But at the end of the day I still believe DCS is the best military sim around with the most potential and I really do believe that ED and the Third party vendors are doing their best to make it better.

My 5 cents is just that I do not get that people can get so pissed of about a game that they are not forced to buy/play. I would much rather use my time on being constructive and focus on what is good. That is not because I am naive or ignorant. I just prefare seing the cup half full, especially because I myself decided to use DCS products instead for other sims.

Flying:
DCS World 2 Beta
Elite Dangerous

System:
3* Dell U2414H

#4332103 - 01/27/17 07:23 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

its like you are having a discussion with yourself

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4332107 - 01/27/17 07:32 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Quote:
But at the end of the day I still believe DCS is the best military sim around with the most potential and I really do believe that ED and the Third party vendors are doing their best to make it better.

You will be long dead before that potential is reached.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4332117 - 01/27/17 08:10 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

Even so, what aircraft sim is better? I tried BMS, FSX and Birds of Prey, and none of them are in the same league as DCS. Too bad ED is run by a couple of chipmunks, since if the current roadmap could ever be completed, it would be a pretty interesting environment to fly in

#4332146 - 01/27/17 09:52 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: clarasdk]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
"Bah, you guys keep complaining, this is why I don't go to SimHQ forums anymore"
...then proceeds to post some more...
thumbsup

"No, no, I want all the facts, the good and the bad... but I don't want YOUR bad facts because it's too negative."
duh

That is not because I am naive or ignorant. I just prefare seing the cup half full, especially because I myself decided to use DCS products instead for other sims.

You chose to have a point-of-view. You chose to use DCS products. Please do not then be such a hypocrite to call us out because of our WIDER point-of-view, those of us that take the bigger picture before deciding which flight sim product to use. Thank you for your time.

- Ice
#4332149 - 01/27/17 10:02 PM Broken rudder on release day. LN should be ashamed of this embarassing disappointment.  
straycat Offline
straycat  Offline

Broken rudder on release day.

LN should be ashamed of this embarassing disappointment.
Is it possible to get a refund?

Last edited by straycat; 01/27/17 10:03 PM.
#4332153 - 01/27/17 10:07 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: clarasdk]  
straycat Offline
straycat  Offline

Originally Posted By: theOden

I do not see the big difference if it is release on 1.5.5 or 1.5.6 beta as it is a pre release beta aircraft anyhow.

As stated I think more people would be complaining if ED released on the stable version with new code that breaks it.

The Viggen update includes more than just the airplane but also changes to the mission editor etc. So that kind of stuff should always be released on a beta first to not potentially break the stable sim (that all people not having the Viggen from day 1 probably will stick with).

Wrong, that #%&*$# should be cleared by their testers and released to customers. I dont get where flight sim people got conditioned by DCS to accept weeks or months of broken features.

#4332155 - 01/27/17 10:09 PM Re: I am calling BS on LN waiting until one day before release to tell players it won't be on release branch. [Re: straycat]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Nobody said you're ignorant, and you're certainly allowed your own opinion. It's just some of us have been waiting 5+ years for DCS F/A-18, or a dynamic campaign (not going to happen), or feature "X". Furthermore, ED has banned these same people for presenting decently constructive criticism and posting proof of bugs. Given that it only takes a minute to post here, of course they're going to vent occasionally. I do.

In the end I think those of us who post negatively do so because we're bitter about the bigger picture. Virtually the only show in town for modern combat flight simming is a poorly run company going in 10 different directions at once. Meanwhile, FPS games (Call of Duty, Overwatch, etc.) have the most resources in gifted programmers and boatloads of funding available to them.

As for BMS not being in the same league as DCS, you're correct - except for graphics BMS blows anything ED does out of the water wink It is certainly dated looking though, and I think in due time (okay, overdue time) DCS will become the standard bearer in modern combat flight simming. I just thought that day would have arrived by now.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.