Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 49 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 48 49
#4319180 - 12/12/16 12:47 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Quote:
Here's an interesting start - Uzbek to Bukhara. There's bound to be an achievement or two here.

Did you get ironman sorted? That sounds like an interesting run. If you have a Nationalism CB over neighboring territory that could be quite useful, but maybe Nationalism is tech-locked?. After all this time I have yet to play any nation in that region. I'm too Euro-centric. But I have to say I don't seem to care much for nations that aren't on the technological leading edge, but I should expand my horizons. Looking forward to following that one.

A month or so ago I made post and said something along the lines of "I don't pay much attention to the dynastic side of the game, disputed successions and that sort of stuff". But then I thought, well why the hell not? There is probably no better way to grow in power and expand. PUs are incredibly powerful in most cases. So since saying that I have been paying very close attention to that aspect of the game. Claiming thrones, opportunistic RMs, that sort of stuff.

So when I decided to play Austria I went all in with the game of thrones. And it's paid off big time. The first PU was over Bohemia. That one's easy. A von Habsburg rises to throne from their interrugum in most cases. Once that occurs, you claim throne and go to war over it. I missed out on the Hungary throne as mentioned earlier. But we would get another shot at them later. Here is Austria just after inheriting Bohemia. Austria's ridiculously high Diplomatic Reputation gives a ridiculously high chance of inheriting on monarch death.

The biggest threat to my Austria, aside from Ottomans, was France. We were chipping away at them, and then they were a bit naughty and gobbled up a little too much territory. A coalition formed and I was only too eaager to join and then lead that coalition against them. Here you see the peace deal as France is forced to release a number of sovereign states including two HRE princes, Bar and Luxembourg. Nice.

I was able to forestall the League War through diplomacy and here you see the Diet of Wien, which declares Catholic as the official faith of the HRE. Nice.

Here the achievement The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword fires for having three Personal Unions at the same time as Austria. This time it's Palatinate, an elector.

And then another elector falls under a PU, Saxony. This Emperor stuff is easy smile My ally Spain contests the Union, but since I am the defender, all of my allies answer and it was never going to end well for my erstwhile Spanish friends. This is the second straight game that my ally Spain contests a PU with me. Will they never learn?

In the summer of 1651 the Empire is in such a state that all 39 princes agree to accept vassalization to the Emperor and we Revoke the Priveligia. Of all the decisions that can be made in EU IV, this one is arguably the single most powerful. Now all 39 of those nations fight for me, and pay half of their income as well. Nice.

Here is the diplo map showing these relations. We have Europe locked down. By this stage we had also inherited Brandenburg.

Reformation? What Reformation?

SDE you asked what I was doing about the heretics, and that screen likely shows the answer. I was relentless in hunting down and stamping out the heretics, not only from the Empire, but from Europe as a whole. I forced religion whenever available, even if the target wasn't in the HRE. I am the Crusader King!

Here you see the vassal swarm that Revoking affords. It's so powerful that in a subsequent war against France I simply forged claims then declared war. I then did nothing while my piranhas descended and stripped the carcass clean. It was awesome! Now we are gearing up to vassal swarm the Ottos. Hehe

And to illustrate the esteem in which the Holy Roman Emperor is held, get a load of the number of RMs being offered. I must be one sexy King!

In that shot you can see I have integrated Hungary. After missing out on the free PU in 1455, I eventually broke my alliance with them. I knew of the 'Decline of Hungary' mission. Austria gets a Restore PU mission and CB if Hungary loses territory. So I broke the alliance so that Poland or Ottos could grab some land from Hungary, which they did. Eventually this did appear and I took it. Of course they were now guaranteed by Ottomans, but so be it. I forced the PU and later integrated them, giving me a broad front against Ottos and we are staging for war as I write this.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4319748 - 12/14/16 12:56 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hear that St Thomas, err I mean France, is lovely this time of year biggrin. That's all that's left of the once mighty Big Blue Blob.

Here's Austria prior to flipping the switch and forming the HRE, uniting the empire.

After flipping the switch I gathered all of the troops from the vassal swarm to have a party and to see how many there were.

And the Holy Roman Empire.

A very fun and challenging run, but I think I say that about every game I play. This run saw the best I've ever done playing the game of thrones. Had at least 6 unions at one point or another. But I was never able to get Spain or Commonwealth under my thumb. I had a chance to force a PU on Spain when they had a weak heir, but I was involved in England at the time and I didn't do it. At the end only Sweden was in a PU with me.

Ottomans has been dealt with and Persia emerged as a force in that vacuum. Commonwealth was a rock and a game-long ally. Spain was as well, but I attacked them late on because they held a fairly deep salient in my lines in southern France. Took Naples from them for good measure.

I ended up getting the achievements for 3 unions as Austria, 8 thrones with your dynasty and having the most trade power in Venice, Genoa and English Channel. I also got the Vasa or Wettin achievement for getting a Habsburg on the Polish throne.

Unions with Spain, Commonwealth, Russia and Ethiopia were all quite close at one time or another. This could have been quite impressive had things broken better for me, but it wasn't to be as an heir would be born just before the old geezer kicked off.

#4319749 - 12/14/16 12:58 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
Originally Posted By: DBond
Did you get ironman sorted? That sounds like an interesting run. If you have a Nationalism CB over neighboring territory that could be quite useful, but maybe Nationalism is tech-locked?. After all this time I have yet to play any nation in that region. I'm too Euro-centric. But I have to say I don't seem to care much for nations that aren't on the technological leading edge.

Nope. Still no ironman. Not sure about nationalism as my run fell apart around 1500. Tried to convert to Orthodox via rebels. Bad move.

Nice HRE. How'd you go with England/GB?

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4319774 - 12/14/16 01:55 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed

Nope. Still no ironman. Not sure about nationalism as my run fell apart around 1500. Tried to convert to Orthodox via rebels. Bad move.

Nice HRE. How'd you go with England/GB?

OK that's a shame. I was looking forward to following your ironman run.

How did I go with England? It wasn't a union anyway. They were friendly for the first half of the game, but as my borders crept closer they became threatened and eventually rivals. So we invaded. It took three wars but the Isles are now Austrian. I've said it before, but England's troops suck, and if yours are any good at all you can roll right over the English stacks. Their navy's a beast though. So getting troops on their island is a big challenge. Once there though, one can run roughshod.

#4319881 - 12/14/16 09:32 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Here's what I've been up to, random new world, Aztec culture. Things got off to a shaky start when all my provinces were occupied by 1445 (shortest run ever!) but luckily my ally pulled me out of that and I was offered a white peace, which I accepted of course. Eventually managed to come back and get revenge, vassalizing them.

It's interesting seeing all the new Mesoamerican events and trying out the doom mechanics.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4320167 - 12/15/16 08:28 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That's actually a cool RNW. The ones I tried all looked like s h i t. I wonder if you could take all of that so that there's nothing for the Euros to colonize?

#4320224 - 12/15/16 10:52 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
That's the plan smile

I also want to take aristocratic and influence ideas at some point so I can become a republic. Haven't played one in a while and thought it's be interesting to be an Aztec Republic.

Need 5 vassals to reform the religion. Unfortunately the other nations are on islands and we lack the technology to build boats. Guess I'll have to release a nation. Doom really starts creeping up quickly once you take more than a handful of provinces.

Passing reforms is like climbing a mountain, only you hack your legs off when you reach the summit.

That wasn't so bad. Being a republic means no stab loss on ruler death. So I guess that makes doom completely pointless. Well other than the tech loss. But being Meso, I wasn't really putting any points into tech anyway. To become republic you have to fill up two idea groups (aristocratic and influence) Yeah, it takes a long time but it's not too bad, definitely better than playing around with rebels.

Oh and I've seen a few Anglo and Portuguese ships pass by. It begins.

Worst consul ever!

Edit: I take back my words, turns out that if doom hits 100 you lose your reforms, so all that time spent managing alliances, fighting wars, dealing with exhaustion and making vassals is all for nothing.
Since I'm a republic I'm tempted to ignore the whole doom mechanic completely and play 'normally' rather than the 'buildup-falldown vassal swarm' that doom encourages. (Doom increases the more provinces you own and is lowered by winning battles and occupying provinces, every now and again you can sacrifice vassal heirs and rulers which makes them understandable hate you)
You're also to a large extent a slave to the Aztec flavour events. Many have options that raise or lower doom but often at a price i.e 50 adm.

Last edited by Security_Device_Enclosed; 12/16/16 12:19 PM.

#4320370 - 12/16/16 01:39 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Your whole post is painful. But good on ya for doing it. I'd probably go the republic route too but then I'd think well then why aren't I playing Venice or sumpin'. Interesting, your game, But painful indeed. I hope your sacrifices aren't in vain smile

We have been cursed! God have mercy on us all.

Got that right. There's nothing Grand about that Consul at all. Except his name, which is epic.

A quick update on my own adventures. So I finished the Austria game. Got five achievements which was better than I had hoped for. That was a very fun and interesting run. I'll come back to the HRE soon. I like the whole Emperor thing.

So then what to do? Never formed the Netherlands. So I start a game as Holland. Got France and Austria to support my independence and declared. My new King was a 0/5/0. Not as bad as your consul SDE, but still rather disappointing. We crushed Burgundy and I won independence plus nabbed Breda since it's needed to form the Netherlands. But I thought that was easy, let's just do it again and I'll get a better King. Repeated the procedure but before I could declare, Burgundy abandoned the union! Well, that was easy. Got a 3/2/3. better but still meh. I then took Utrecht, and later vassalized Flanders. Then took Breda from Burgundy while they were getting the beat-down by France.

Coalition out the ying yang. Crushed like so many grapes. They changed the peace deal screen and it showed no coalitions. But everyone ignored that and did it anyway. So I quit and will have a re-think.

Having shown I am an expert at getting out of unions I started a game as Naples. Same thing. I got France, Spain and Hungary to support me and before I could declare (like the next action I would have done) Aragon abandons the union. So I'm cast adrift as a sovereign with a good 6/4/2 King. Later took back my cores in Sicily and also annexed Sardinia and Malta. The goal is to get Naples on the great powers list for the achievement. But I'm now sort of hemmed in with difficult choices on where to expand to. The Balkans make the most sense, but then I'm butting heads with Ottos. I would love to jump on the Italian minors that leave with the Shadow Kingdom, but I can't fabricate on any of them. If Paradox had just drawn the dividing line between the Gulf of Venice and the Adriatic a little further south I could claim on 5 different nations. That centimeter makes a world of difference.

Oh and almost forgot....played a quick Portugal game to 1522 in order to be the first to circumnavigate the globe. Kinda hard to believe that I hadn't accomplished that in all the time I've played this game. Same with the World Discoverer achievement, which you get when there is no Terra Incognita left. Quick anecdote...

So I was nearing the end of that Austria>HRE game. I looked at the achievement list and saw that I was just 4 provinces from the achievement. These four were in eastern Siberia. So I started clicking through all of the nations in that region to see if anyone could or would sell me maps. There was one nation that started with a K who had knowledge of the territory in question, and better yet, were willing to sell me those maps. Great, let's just do a deal then.

But it's greyed out. You need to have a unit adjacent. Good grief. So I send an army to walk all the way across Asia. Finally they get there and I go to buy the maps. Red X. What the? During the time it took me to walk there, the nation beginning with K decided to take Expansion as their 8th and final idea group in 1811. As a colonizer they no longer wish to sell me their maps. Grrr....

So I trade in Aristocratic and take Exploration, get the Conquistador and attach him to that far east army. At that moment my ally Commonwealth is attacked by Russia (or the other way around) and I answer. Well that just exiled my far east army, and you can't explore with an exiled army. So I then had to march another army all the way to Siberia, through a hostile Russia no less. Zones of Control and long treks to Siberia do not go well together. Grrr...

To make a long story longer, I eventually get there and 'discover' the TI with about 4 years to go.

#4320691 - 12/17/16 01:42 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I would love to jump on the Italian minors that leave with the Shadow Kingdom, but I can't fabricate on any of them. If Paradox had just drawn the dividing line between the Gulf of Venice and the Adriatic a little further south I could claim on 5 different nations. That centimeter makes a world of difference.

Pro tip. Italy actually has a west coast too and if one happens to own Sardinia, you would also have the ability to fabricate on Sienna, Florence, Genoa and Savoy. D'oh!

#4321703 - 12/20/16 01:44 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
The biggest pain going from Austria into Corsica/Sardinia is the lack of boats, you need to build up a navy from scratch just to invade two stupid islands.

Speaking of ti, the terra incognita system has it's flaws, I don't have knowledge about the existence of Europe, but I know exactly what's going on in the HRE

I hope your sacrifices aren't in vain smile

Well...

#4322355 - 12/22/16 01:03 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Well I became a protectorate. Spain was colonising hard and fast and started eating up neighbours, I noticed Britain had a 'protective' attitude towards me so I started building relations with them hoping to get an alliance or something. Then I saw the 'Become Protectorate' option and thought. Why not? I lose a bit of trade power and force limit but now Spain is their problem. Hopefully.

Edit: That didn't last long, less than 20 years and Britain gets the civil war. So we become independent again. Didn't know Cromwell had close Russian ties. wink

I did get a couple of free buildings and the printing press out of it, so not all bad. Actually quite good.

#4323569 - 12/27/16 02:05 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
The Great Colonial War of 1738

#4323575 - 12/27/16 02:48 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Well done Britain, almost a million men died and all you got out of it was 350 bucks.

#4324595 - 12/30/16 02:19 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The AI does fairly well with it's peace deals. But sometimes they do not. I am playing a Holland game at the moment. Aragon went to war with Castile over the Navarran succession and got crushed. Their entire nation was occupied and Navarra peaced out for war reps. They could have quadrupled in size.

#4325044 - 01/01/17 05:39 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Holland sounds interesting. Trying to unite the Netherlands and re-create the colonial empire? Or are you going to 'blob' in Europe? I can't remember playing as the Dutch, might have some trouble with so many big powers wanting a piece of the pie...

I finished my Pultico game, the last century was rather boring so I've stopped early. Aliied with Britain and kept good relations with them so no one tried to steal my Aztec land. Had a little colonial race against the Ottomans to fill out my Northern borders.

unAmerica

North unAmerica

South unAmerica

Europa Europasalis

Africa. Ethiopia currently being eaten by Turks.

Middle East

Bonjour, mate! I'll slip an extra frog on the barbie.

Didn't come anywhere near great power status. (Slightly outdated screenshot from 1750

#4328060 - 01/12/17 08:36 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Things you don't see everyday. From my (slow) Manipur game.

#4328173 - 01/12/17 07:53 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've been seeing colonial Mamluks much more often as well. Not sure when it was changed, but there is so much more competition, especially in the East Indies.

Recently did a Holland to Netherlands run as mentioned. Was Emperor for a while, until I formed Netherlands. Republics can't be Emperor. Got the achievement for forming having started as Dutch culture, and then the one pictured here for having Orangists in power, 100% RT (had to spend significant MIL to strengthen the gubment and raise RT. And it required a core in China. Declared on Tidore and took Taiwan from them.

And we had a hell of a League War. It had looked for a long time like it wouldn't fire, then Brandenburg lost league leader to Bohemia who wasted little time in starting the festivities.

#4331715 - 01/26/17 04:48 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Just popping in. Built a new box a few weeks back and installed Witcher 3 so I could finally see it looking good. Also installed F4 BMS and that's what I'm in to right now. But I did put EU IV on, and it runs so much better! Loads in like 12 seconds and the autosaves are blink-and-you-missed-it fast. Looks and runs great. But I'm having so much fun flying F4 again that EU IV is on the back burner. I imagine you've found a new game as well SDE. Well, I can see in Steam activity smile

But I'll be back. Honestly I need some new Euro-centric achievements to go for. So if an new DLC is released I'll fire it back up. Maybe before.

#4331857 - 01/26/17 10:56 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Nice, you must have an SSD to get EUIV to load up so damn quick.

Witcher 3 is a fantastic game, definitely one of the all time greats. Shame the enhanced edition update broke my game half way through Blood and Wine...

Yes I have been busy elsewhere. I've had plenty of gaming time since I switched to a part time position. Too much infact.

Will update with Manipur screens soon. It's been a slow but steady game, once I got a few provinces (the first was given by an ally after helping in war) I managed to build up and start taking on my neighbours, most were already quite large, such as Ayutthaya. So I was always heavily outgunned and relied almost entirely on strong allies to save the day.
My manpower and monarch points were always near zero. It sounds like a challenge but it wasn't hard just slow.
Especially waiting for institutions. Manipur starts animist and without feudalism, while all my neighbours are Buddhists with higher tech. I got converted to Buddhism by rebels before 1500. No problem really, I wanted to convert anyway.

The Americas have just been revealed, of course we find the Portuguese USA cohabiting with the 14 colonies. Somehow.

#4331990 - 01/27/17 01:29 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed
Nice, you must have an SSD to get EUIV to load up so damn quick.

I do, but I didn't put EU IV on it. I put it on the Barracuda. It's funny because EU IV was on an SSD on the previous box. Still, it runs much faster. I put it down to a far better proc and newer buses.

That sucks about your W3 save. To put all that time in and get that far only to have it break is so frustrating. I agree it's a fantastic game. It's actually my third playthrough. The first two were done at minimum graphics and 18 fps. Now it runs at 70 with everything maxxed. What a difference.

Page 21 of 49 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 48 49

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.