Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3877958 - 12/16/13 02:58 PM changes in pilot dossier  
manfas Offline
manfas  Offline

Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to change a name of a pilot during the campaign? I've completed three RFC missions and claimed some kills but I've noticed that I had typed my pilot's name in small letters. I would like to correct this mistake but I wouldn't like to start a new campaign.

#3877975 - 12/16/13 03:41 PM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: manfas]  
Winding Man Offline
Winding Man  Offline

Jhb, South Africa
Originally Posted By: manfas
Maybe a stupid question but is it possible to change a name of a pilot during the campaign? I've completed three RFC missions and claimed some kills but I've noticed that I had typed my pilot's name in small letters. I would like to correct this mistake but I wouldn't like to start a new campaign.

Sorry no not possible at the moment...

HTH

WM

OBD Software
#3878004 - 12/16/13 04:32 PM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: manfas]  
chrispdm1 Offline
chrispdm1  Offline

NE Saskatchewan
In OFF I remember changing things like that in the pilot txt documents. Not sure if it is possible in WOFF and if so, its definitely do at your own risk, very possible to royally mess up your pilot and his career. Backup of the document is always a must. I haven't checked to see if its the same in WOFF.

#4331694 - 01/26/17 03:28 PM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: manfas]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
It seems like people on internet forums hate it when someone "necroposts" or whatever the heck they call it. But these same people also seem to hate it when someone asks a question that has already been brought up before. They'll angrily respond to the repeated question by saying, "Why don't you search the damn forums?!"

So . . . I do not know what to do! I neither want to anger you guys by "necroposting" nor by asking something that has already been asked before. I've decided to do the "necropost" thing. Forgive me if this offends.

Anyway, I created a pilot and have since been meticulously following the training before joining my squadron. I've put a lot of time into this (all of it real time), and then today I noticed that I had mistakenly put 1985 instead of 1885 for my pilot's birth date! I can't believe I did this.

I've invested too much time in this pilot to just make a new one. I wanted to ask if there was any way I could alter this date in my pilot dossier. I checked the pilotdossier1.txt file, but all the information is encrypted. I spent the whole afternoon trying to find a way to decode this using online base64, ascii, hex, and many other decryption methods, all to no avail.

I even created an identical pilot in every way except this date and then carefully compared the two pilot dossier files, thinking I could just add whatever data was different. However, this was sadly all in vain as the data was completely different in this second file.

Please tell me there is a way to do this. This post that I'm adding to above was from three years ago, so maybe there has been some progress made in the intervening years in altering our pilot dossiers?

(I even found an old combatace forum post where the person posting seemed to have decrypted their pilot dossier file and was able to make some changes. However, there were no instructions there on how to do this.)

Please help me!

#4331717 - 01/26/17 04:55 PM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: manfas]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I too have been down the trial and error path and I hate to advise you that I also was unable to successfully decrypt the file. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I wish it was easier but those are the hard facts from my end.

Best regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4331893 - 01/27/17 02:12 AM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: manfas]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
I guess that OBD holds all the cards here. Hopefully, they'll make it possible to do this one day in the future.

To be honest, besides preventing people from cheating (which really only matters in multiplayer games), I don't see any logic to not allowing our pilot dossiers to be revised or changed. (Unless, of course, doing so upsets all the other coding.)

All I'd like to do is change the date of my permanent pilot as he obviously wasn't born a hundred years after the war! This kind of inaccuracy drives me batty!

But thank you, Robert.

#4331908 - 01/27/17 03:10 AM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: The_3rd_Guru]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: The_3rd_Guru
I guess that OBD holds all the cards here. Hopefully, they'll make it possible to do this one day in the future.

To be honest, besides preventing people from cheating (which really only matters in multiplayer games), I don't see any logic to not allowing our pilot dossiers to be revised or changed. (Unless, of course, doing so upsets all the other coding.)

All I'd like to do is change the date of my permanent pilot as he obviously wasn't born a hundred years after the war! This kind of inaccuracy drives me batty!

But thank you, Robert.

Actually one of my long term pilots having served through 3 years of the war lost his rank of Major and it was just blank. I lived with it a long time and some how down the road the rank got reset back to Major again. Strange things happen in the midnight sun to the men who moil for WOFF!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4331917 - 01/27/17 03:27 AM Re: changes in pilot dossier [Re: manfas]  
The_3rd_Guru Offline
The_3rd_Guru  Offline

Tokyo
Ha! You were lucky there, but I have trouble believing a hundred years will suddenly disappear from my guy's birth date.

But for the moment I'm just role playing that the French authorities made a mistake on my brevet. That would certainly have been possible in the hectic nature of this war. And that adds a bit of uniqueness to my character which my squadron mates would have latched onto. Perhaps they would have nicknamed me "Futureman" or something like that. (Which in turn would have eventually given Wes Anderson the idea for the character in Bottle Rocket, hence placing my character firmly in a cogent timeline of history!)

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.