Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4331279 - 01/25/17 01:04 PM found this article by accident... makes you think abit *****  
lederhosen Online content
lederhosen  Online Content

Germany
Near La Bassée in the slit trenches we lay and in front of us we had the French trenches, dug in, dug out, we really didn’t know anymore what was the first trench, the front trench and what were the reverse trenches.

One day we got orders to storm a French position. We got in and my comrades fell right and left of me, but then I was confronted by a French Corporal. He with his bayonet at the ready and I with my bayonet at the ready.

For a moment I felt the fear of death and in a fraction of a second I realised that he was after my life exactly as I was after his. I was quicker than he was. I tossed his rifle away and I ran my bayonet through his chest He fell, put his hand on the place were I had hit him and then I thrust again. Blood came out of his mouth and he died.

I felt physically ill. I nearly vomited. My knees were shaking and I was quite frankly ashamed of myself. My comrades, I was a corporal there then, were absolutely undisturbed by what had happened. One of them boasted that he had killed a poilu with the butt of his rifle, another one had strangled a captain, a French captain.

A third one had hit somebody over the head with his spade and they were ordinary men like me. One of them was a tram conductor, another one a commercial traveller, two were students, the rest were farm workers, ordinary people who never would have thought to do any harm to anyone.

How did it come about that they were so cruel? I remembered then that we were told that the good soldier kills without thinking of his adversary as a human being. The very moment he sees in him a fellow man, he is not a good soldier anymore. But I had in front of me the dead man, the dead French soldier and how would I liked him to have raised his hand.

I would have shaken his hand and we would have been the best of friends. Because he was nothing like me but a poor boy who had to fight, who had to go in with the most cruel weapons against a man who had nothing against him personally, who only wore the uniform of another nation, who spoke another language, but a man who had a father and mother and a family perhaps and so I felt.

I woke up at night sometimes drenched in sweat because I saw the eyes of my fallen adversary, of the enemy, and I tried to convince myself what would have happened to me if I wouldn’t have been quicker than he, what would have happened to me if I wouldn’t have thrust my bayonet first into his belly.

What was it that we soldiers stabbed each other, strangled each other, went for each other like mad dogs? What was it that we, who had nothing against them personally, fought with them to the very end and death?
We were civilised people after all. But I felt that the culture we boasted so much about is only a very thin lacquer which chipped off the very moment we come in contact with cruel things like real war. To fire at each other from a distance, to drop bombs is something impersonal.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4331292 - 01/25/17 01:57 PM Re: found this article by accident... makes you think abit [Re: lederhosen]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
I think of my father (and how many more like him) who went to his grave without ever talking of the things he saw.

We will remember them.
#4331379 - 01/25/17 05:43 PM Re: found this article by accident... makes you think abit [Re: lederhosen]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Wow, that's powerful. Where is it from?

#4331416 - 01/25/17 07:19 PM Re: found this article by accident... makes you think abit [Re: lederhosen]  
lederhosen Online content
lederhosen  Online Content

Germany

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4331467 - 01/25/17 10:32 PM Re: found this article by accident... makes you think abit [Re: lederhosen]  
Blackard Offline
Blackard  Offline

Originally Posted By: lederhosen

I remembered then that we were told that the good soldier kills without thinking of his adversary as a human being. The very moment he sees in him a fellow man, he is not a good soldier anymore.

That would be those that create, declare, or profit from war while sitting safely away from such. Just a bunch of words to those who have lived battle, and carry it with them.

#4331473 - 01/25/17 10:38 PM Re: found this article by accident... makes you think abit [Re: Shredward]  
Blackard Offline
Blackard  Offline

Originally Posted By: Shredward
I think of my father (and how many more like him) who went to his grave without ever talking of the things he saw.

True that.

My dad did, after I returned from a tour in the Marines. The man was awarded a purple heart in each theater of operation as well as a bronze star. He was first hit June the 6th, 1944.

The man was a freaking hero, yet no one new cept for a very few. Hell, they all were.

#4331572 - 01/26/17 03:31 AM Re: found this article by accident... makes you think abit [Re: lederhosen]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
My dad fought in WWII, but I guess he was the exception because he told me countless war stories. Maybe, telling the stories made it easier for him or maybe he wasn't as bothered by it as some of the others. I loved his story about banging on the side of a Sherman one night looking for some chow, they gave him a chicken and a little while later, still hungry, he happened to return to the same tank looking for something else. This time they weren't quite as friendly.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM