Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4329949 - 01/20/17 04:04 PM Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Here is the new video showcasing the single player aspects of the game.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4329979 - 01/20/17 06:09 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Ratcatcher Offline
Ratcatcher  Offline

North Yorkshire, UK
I managed to watch up till 1.23.

That looks truly, truly awful.

#4330238 - 01/21/17 08:25 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Randomly clicked on the timeline, watched for 15 seconds at about the 8.58 minute mark.

Stupid crap, as expected, as designed.

#4330247 - 01/21/17 09:03 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
This looks good, actually, as long as you can play in first person. I don't like third person shooters.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#4330275 - 01/21/17 11:11 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Ghost Recon-Far Cry, as expected. Looks good to me.
Anyone expecting something like the game that was out 15 years ago is wasting their time. It's long gone.
I judge Clancy games now on their own merits.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4330316 - 01/22/17 02:47 AM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

Why is the player and his team dressed like hipsters going on a stroll through Central Park?

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
#4330649 - 01/23/17 03:37 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Third person is the console influence. Because playing on a TV across the room requires a different FOV than you need from a monitor in your face, they go with third.
I see the iron sight view is first at least, because third person aiming sucks.

This does remind me of playing Just Cause or Far Cry, and with coop MP that's fine by me.
Ghost Recon and Tom Clancy are meaningless dead names now, do not allow your opinion to be affected by marketing terms. If you expect that because Ghost Recon is used it MUST be like game X, you will be disappointed. That doesn't happen anymore. That era died 10 years ago.
Judge the game on its own merits and don't worry about whether it should be called this or that because it's irrelevant.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4331849 - 01/26/17 10:17 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
Here is another video, a straight walkthrough without commentary:

I would be interested to know your thoughts. Mine are as follows:

- A sincere attempt appears to have been made to bring back team-level tactical gameplay but the player's mistakes in this walkthrough -- he opens fire apparently by mistake in the middle of the village but fails to provoke the defenders, preserving stealth -- seems to reveal that the tactical gameplay is of the strictly cinematic variety and too forgiving.

- The graphics look very crude to me, even accepting that this is a PS4 sample.

- The third-person viewpoint looks like GTA from several iterations back. Are we sure there's an option to play in first-person?

- Can drones really be this invisible to defenders from about ten feet below?

- What is the approach to cover? I hope there is "sticky" cover, or at least lean/peek out commands but I cannot tell from this. A tac-shooter without decent cover mechanics is just a shooter.

- The voice acting is average and the dialogue cringe-inducing. This is what happens when non English-speaking dev teams attempt to reproduce American military slang. These spec ops types do not talk like elite infantry, there are too many inane wisecracks and it will jeopardise immersion if what we are expecting is any sense of tactical fidelity. If they can reproduce a semblance of disciplined radio comms and intra-team banter amongst spec ops troopers on TV, why can they not do it here? It's like a bad Bruce Willis movie from the '90s.

I will still play the Beta (I expect to be tapped on the shoulder for that) but I will not preorder the game and will not buy it at all if the Beta is not significantly better on PC than this PS4 walkthrough.

Thoughts?

#4332002 - 01/27/17 01:50 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Bahger]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bahger

I would be interested to know your thoughts. Mine are as follows:

- A sincere attempt appears to have been made to bring back team-level tactical gameplay but the player's mistakes in this walkthrough -- he opens fire apparently by mistake in the middle of the village but fails to provoke the defenders, preserving stealth -- seems to reveal that the tactical gameplay is of the strictly cinematic variety and too forgiving.

- The graphics look very crude to me, even accepting that this is a PS4 sample.

- The third-person viewpoint looks like GTA from several iterations back. Are we sure there's an option to play in first-person?

- Can drones really be this invisible to defenders from about ten feet below?

- What is the approach to cover? I hope there is "sticky" cover, or at least lean/peek out commands but I cannot tell from this. A tac-shooter without decent cover mechanics is just a shooter.

- The voice acting is average and the dialogue cringe-inducing. This is what happens when non English-speaking dev teams attempt to reproduce American military slang. These spec ops types do not talk like elite infantry, there are too many inane wisecracks and it will jeopardise immersion if what we are expecting is any sense of tactical fidelity. If they can reproduce a semblance of disciplined radio comms and intra-team banter amongst spec ops troopers on TV, why can they not do it here? It's like a bad Bruce Willis movie from the '90s.

I will still play the Beta (I expect to be tapped on the shoulder for that) but I will not preorder the game and will not buy it at all if the Beta is not significantly better on PC than this PS4 walkthrough.

Thoughts?

Here are my thoughts after taking part in the last "Tech Test" on PC a few months ago and I will try to answer some of your questions.

Like many others have stated this is not the GR of years past so get that out of your head right now, that ship has sailed and is not coming back.

With that being said the game is as "tactical" as you the player/s make it. The 3 AI companions work well enough but at the end of the day they are still just AI. The game really comes into its own when playing with 3 other like minded friends. You can go in guns blazing if you like or you can get your Frogman on and go the stealth route. The way the game is designed always leaves the choice in the players hands.

The GFX on PC looked very good to me and I was running it at max settings (dual GTX 1080s). I would say its comparable to The Division in looks and aesthetics. Infiltrating an enemy camp in the jungle at night in a thunderstorm was a treat for the eyes. Some textures in the tech test were place holders so I cannot speak for the final quality with the end product but I can say that what I was able to experience looked great.

3rd person is well 3rd person. Again its more akin to The Division in that regard. There is no traditional 1st person view. You can iron sight and move around but once you come off the sights/scope its back to 3rd person.

Drones. Like them or hate them they are in this game. I personally thought the drones in Future Soldier were too gimmicky and made the game far to easy. They are toned down in GRWL by use of a cooldown timer between uses but still allow the player to scope out an area. You can also upgrade it in the tech tree with things like longer range, battery life etc. As for the realism of small drones not being detected by troops in close proximity I cannot say, but I will offer up this video showing off what rebel troops are doing right now with self made drones in the Middle East. Now obviously these are not 10' away but just goes to show the viability of the application of the tech. Keep in mind these are crudely made DIY drones and not the ultra tech drones the West has.

Insurgent Drone Video

There is no dedicated "cover" button or peak/lean movements, at least not in the version of the game I played in.

I agree with the voice acting. It is very action movie dialogue although the banter between you AI teammates is funny at times. This is a moot thing as I really suggest playing the game with 3 friends (not that the commentary will have any less dick/fart jokes) but because everything is better when your friends tag along. biggrin

So at the end of the day the game is fun (more so with friends). For those of you who want a more "realistic" game here are my suggestions.

1. Play with 3 like minded friends
2. Turn the HUD off
3. Play on the Ghost setting (single bullets can and will kill you outright)
4. Play the game how you want to play it. The game is designed to give the player/s the choice in how they want to approach things.
5. Remember to have fun. After all that is why we play video games right?

#4332017 - 01/27/17 02:34 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
How accurate do you recall the AI being? Friendly and enemy?

In some games I would tend to leave AI teammates behind because they'd take out every threat before I could even see it, in others because they would get in my way and die really fast for stupid reasons so I wouldn't have them when I needed them. It's been rare to have a teammate that was effective but not too effective.

Are the drones not like the ones in GRAW? I liked those, they just hover and give you LOS info from wherever they are.

I hope I will get to try the beta weekend, I'd like to see more about how it will play before I make a decision.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4332028 - 01/27/17 03:01 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Jedi Master]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
How accurate do you recall the AI being? Friendly and enemy?

In some games I would tend to leave AI teammates behind because they'd take out every threat before I could even see it, in others because they would get in my way and die really fast for stupid reasons so I wouldn't have them when I needed them. It's been rare to have a teammate that was effective but not too effective.

Are the drones not like the ones in GRAW? I liked those, they just hover and give you LOS info from wherever they are.

I hope I will get to try the beta weekend, I'd like to see more about how it will play before I make a decision.

The Jedi Master

Both the Friendly and Enemy AI are what you would expect in a modern game these days. They are not going to do anything that will blow your mind. Once the rounds start flying around the Friendly AI does a decent enough job at attracting fire and killing but you as the Player will be filling most of the body bags. On the other hand the Enemy AI gets very aggressive once provoked and loves to call in reinforcements. Think along the lines of the "Wanted" levels in GTA.

The drones functions much the same as it did in past GR titles that had them gathering "ISR" Once you spot and enemy with the drone it will place a marker on its head for all players to see. As I said previously you can "upgrade" your drone (along with your character) with various talents and improvements.

#4332102 - 01/27/17 07:20 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
Thanks for such a well-informed response to my post, xIGuNDoCIx.

I noticed in the walkthrough with developer commentary that the player opens fire deliberately in the middle of the village to "distract" an enemy patrol and slip past them. Hmmmm.

I am sure I will find quite a lot to enjoy about this game as long as I do not fall into the trap of expecting a "pure" tac-shooter from the pre-console, PC golden age. The idiotic banter will drive me crazy, though; they are just trying too hard with this, which makes its coarseness and stupidity even more jarring.

I'd be interested to know whether the game is designed in such a way as to make the mission in the walkthrough winnable by stealth, or, if not, whether it allows for a "no-alarm" playthrough where enemies can be taken out by stealth without roiling up their buddies. IRL, my fairly educated assumption is that a team this small would not want to get into a prolonged firefight against a village full of well-armed, competent sicarios defending their own territory and would exercise strict fire discipline for as long as they kept the initiative. There is no doubt in my mind that in the playthrough, the more shooting there is, the more unrealistic it gets.

#4332125 - 01/27/17 08:30 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Bahger]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Thanks for such a well-informed response to my post, xIGuNDoCIx.

I noticed in the walkthrough with developer commentary that the player opens fire deliberately in the middle of the village to "distract" an enemy patrol and slip past them. Hmmmm.

I am sure I will find quite a lot to enjoy about this game as long as I do not fall into the trap of expecting a "pure" tac-shooter from the pre-console, PC golden age. The idiotic banter will drive me crazy, though; they are just trying too hard with this, which makes its coarseness and stupidity even more jarring.

I'd be interested to know whether the game is designed in such a way as to make the mission in the walkthrough winnable by stealth, or, if not, whether it allows for a "no-alarm" playthrough where enemies can be taken out by stealth without roiling up their buddies. IRL, my fairly educated assumption is that a team this small would not want to get into a prolonged firefight against a village full of well-armed, competent sicarios defending their own territory and would exercise strict fire discipline for as long as they kept the initiative. There is no doubt in my mind that in the playthrough, the more shooting there is, the more unrealistic it gets.

Yes if you are very careful you can complete missions without alerting the AI. You can disable alarms like in the Far Cry series to lessen the impact of the AI's reinforcements if they are alerted as well. Keep in mind that your 3 AI buddies can be "seen" as well so make sure the orders you give them are sound and thought out. You could get away with just ordering your AI teammates in Future Soldier anywhere you wanted them without repercussion, in Wildlands they are just as "visible" as you are.

#4332503 - 01/28/17 11:11 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Bahger]  
James McKenzie-Smith Offline
James McKenzie-Smith  Offline

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Yes, and when the player does slip past, no reaction whatsoever from the villager twenty feet away looking right at him, not even a solitary cluck from the chickens he brushes aside. Later, after the Ghosts shoot some guards, the player gets EXPERIENCE POINTS that are allocated then and there; a result of which is the player can now use the explosive drone, which he then does.

Was this supposedly well-trained soldier carrying the drone the whole time, hoping to gain experience enough to use it mid-mission, by doing a few suppressed head shots and brushing aside cluckless chickens?

Good posts by everybody here, some really good points.

#4332556 - 01/29/17 02:18 AM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: James McKenzie-Smith]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: James McKenzie-Smith

Yes, and when the player does slip past, no reaction whatsoever from the villager twenty feet away looking right at him, not even a solitary cluck from the chickens he brushes aside. Later, after the Ghosts shoot some guards, the player gets EXPERIENCE POINTS that are allocated then and there; a result of which is the player can now use the explosive drone, which he then does.

Was this supposedly well-trained soldier carrying the drone the whole time, hoping to gain experience enough to use it mid-mission, by doing a few suppressed head shots and brushing aside cluckless chickens?

Good posts by everybody here, some really good points.

Honestly I think the main purpose of the Dev doing that is to show that the AI will/can react to player made changes in the environment. I think its a pretty neat thing and it would be ten times worse if the AI didn't react at all. I do agree with the NPC AI being completely oblivious to either the enemies or your group, then again most games are designed that way so their reaction or lack thereof should not be a surprise to anyone who had played a game in the last 5-10 years.

The XP system. I have a feeling this is where the biggest contention will be among die hard sim fans. It's in the game to give the players something to work towards. As this game is clearly not designed for the hard core ARMA players in mind it instead focuses its aim at the more causal crowd who like to play shooters but dont want the ultra realism. I see and understand you point about the "shooting chickens" for XP and why on Earth a highly trained Tier 1 Operative would need to level up. You are absolutely right in that regard that it makes no sense whatsoever from a realistic standpoint. But here is the catch. It's a video game! Authenticity, accuracy, common sense, and realism goes right out the window once you start it up.

#4332697 - 01/29/17 05:49 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Exactly, it's a game. Not a training simulator. GR never was.
More fun to play it and enjoy it for what it is, than to sit back, criticize what it isn't supposed to be and have nothing.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4332785 - 01/29/17 10:38 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Exactly, it's a game. Not a training simulator. GR never was.
More fun to play it and enjoy it for what it is, than to sit back, criticize what it isn't supposed to be and have nothing.

Exactly! thumbsup

#4332961 - 01/30/17 02:16 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
I'll likely just call this game Wildlands and eschew referring to it with any of the misleading "G" or "R" letters. smile

I called GRAW simply "GRAW" because it wasn't Ghost Recon. I called R6 Vegas "Vegas" because it wasn't R6.

Oh, and I called Double Agent "DA" because it sure as hell wasn't Splinter Cell. smile

The Jedi Master

#4332969 - 01/30/17 02:35 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Jedi Master]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

I'll likely just call this game Wildlands and eschew referring to it with any of the misleading "G" or "R" letters. smile

I called GRAW simply "GRAW" because it wasn't Ghost Recon. I called R6 Vegas "Vegas" because it wasn't R6.

Oh, and I called Double Agent "DA" because it sure as hell wasn't Splinter Cell. smile

The Jedi Master

In all honesty me and the regular guys I play games with refer to it as the new "Mercenaries" game! smile

#4333029 - 01/30/17 03:53 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Never played those games, so I have no point of comparison there!

The Jedi Master

#4333042 - 01/30/17 04:28 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Jedi Master]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Never played those games, so I have no point of comparison there!

The Jedi Master

The two games are very similar. For good and bad.

#4333170 - 01/30/17 10:49 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The first Mercenaries game was extremely good. Dark, gritty, cool setting. One of the games on the original Xbox I most would like to see remade and updated on pc.
There's nothing boring about calling in a bunker buster on a N. Korean stronghold.
Mercs 2....snoozefest, obnoxious, I could barely play it for the few hours I put into it hoping it would pick up somehow.

Splinter Cell DA...it couldn't win. Chaos Theory was too perfect. Adopting the storyline they did was a mistake, but I get why they brought in the daylight bit. The ending started the Ubisoft melodrama crap direction they took Clancy games in for a few years there. Fortunately they've emerged from that stage, or so it seems for now. DA on Xbox was better than 360 or pc, it did away with the annoying minigames in the base. The insipid arming the bombs bit goes down in history as one of the dumbest and most annoying minigames of all time.

GRAW MP was still good on console, but on pc it sucked. Very robust host options for a console game. The first case of WTF?! expensive dlc I remember. Prior to that it was usually free, other than some RSix Black Arrow map packs.

Vegas...horrible campaign, HATED the environments, the F bombs were ridiculous and out of control. Played MP with the 2 free dlc's for about a year. Didn't like the unlocking with rank crap, and the graphics generally sucked, but MP gameplay was good.

#4333274 - 01/31/17 06:13 AM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
I think Blacklist qualifies as a mainly decent Splinter Cell game worthy of the name but it wasn't entirely free of scripted sequences, cinematics and all the usual console-driven gameplay. I enjoyed the heck out of GRO/GRP, too, until they got greedy and turned it into a pay-to-win bonanza. If there is one thing that these Clancy derivatives have in common is that, alongside some genuine concessions to the legacy purists, there's always a certain amount of either greed and/or cinematic pandering that smacks more of publisher input than developer input. To me, Wildlands, at least on the basis of the playthough, epitomises this, too. If you have AI that can follow a certain range of movement/fire orders including, possibly, effective suppression and even a bit of flanking here and there, well that's in the tradition of "classic" GR. The problem is that these people can never resist pandering to the attention-challenged with dopey banter, over-cooked dialogue and cinematic gameplay. Look at the exfil from that village, for example: being able to get out quietly would be impressive but of course there has to be the mother of all gunfights with a turret-mounted MG on a moving vehicle and the rally point is about half a mile away because Heaven forbid the player gets bored with the time and distance involved in a realistic exfil from deep behind enemy lines. I know, I know, we must judge it purely on its own merits, etc., etc., and it's not ArmA but the pandering isn't merely irritating, it is, I would argue, unnecessary. I think it signals a loss of nerve... but that's just my theory.

#4333353 - 01/31/17 02:00 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Bahger]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

I think Blacklist qualifies as a mainly decent Splinter Cell game worthy of the name but it wasn't entirely free of scripted sequences, cinematics and all the usual console-driven gameplay. I enjoyed the heck out of GRO/GRP, too, until they got greedy and turned it into a pay-to-win bonanza. If there is one thing that these Clancy derivatives have in common is that, alongside some genuine concessions to the legacy purists, there's always a certain amount of either greed and/or cinematic pandering that smacks more of publisher input than developer input. To me, Wildlands, at least on the basis of the playthough, epitomises this, too. If you have AI that can follow a certain range of movement/fire orders including, possibly, effective suppression and even a bit of flanking here and there, well that's in the tradition of "classic" GR. The problem is that these people can never resist pandering to the attention-challenged with dopey banter, over-cooked dialogue and cinematic gameplay. Look at the exfil from that village, for example: being able to get out quietly would be impressive but of course there has to be the mother of all gunfights with a turret-mounted MG on a moving vehicle and the rally point is about half a mile away because Heaven forbid the player gets bored with the time and distance involved in a realistic exfil from deep behind enemy lines. I know, I know, we must judge it purely on its own merits, etc., etc., and it's not ArmA but the pandering isn't merely irritating, it is, I would argue, unnecessary. I think it signals a loss of nerve... but that's just my theory.

From a business standpoint it is very necessary and you are correct, money talks and it will always speak louder than the cries from a small percentage of players.

Unfortunately these games are not made for hard core fans of the series anymore. If you want to sell games you sell to the largest demographic and don't place arbitrary limits on your sales just because you want to keep a small percentage of customers happy. These games (Tom Clancy "titled") are no longer part of small developers and Ubi certainly is not the small publisher it was when both R6 and GR came out 10-15 years ago. They now have investors and I am more than certain those investors want profits, especially in the now multi billion dollar video game industry. Devs like Bohemia Interactive and ESims can go for the ultra hardcore realism players because I'm fairly certain that the majority of their money comes from government contracts for the specialty software they create, they are not solely dependent on normal sales like Ubi and EA.

As for the "demo" video being very Jerry Bruckhiemer-esque, I think you hit the nail no the head. It was done intentionally to market to a larger audience (again for sales). Most 10 year olds don't usually have the attention span to watch someone trek through the landscape silently for 5 hours to exfil. Neither do I for that matter even after doing it in the Army for 10 years. smile

Like it or not that is how it is.

Here is a thought, if we have games that already do the "mil-sim" thing extremely well (Arma), is it really that bad for GRWL to be more casual when we already have a game that does everything most milsim fans want ask for?

I understand competition is a good thing but lets face it Arma is where it is at in that particular area of expertise and it would take an exceptional game/sim to dethrone it (which I do not see happening anytime soon.)

Last edited by xIGuNDoCIx; 01/31/17 02:02 PM.
#4333363 - 01/31/17 02:29 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
There is the question of editing...will it always be like that video or is that one of the more spectacular ones that they cherry-picked for marketing?

Stealth games like SC, Thief, and Dishonored are best played slowly and quietly, yet marketing videos always show the most explosive sequences or someone deliberately playing it "wrong" just because heavy action looks better than slowly moving in the shadows does.

I would like it if these games had a separate setting that wasn't just some sop to players like "HUD off" but actually switched between Hollywood action film and realistic tactics required.

Anyone remember when F-117 Stealth Fighter 2 came out? The reality of the F-117 was far duller than the excitement that MPS postulated with the F-19 in the first game, so you had a choice of flying the "real" F-117 or the fictional F-19 with A2A radar, afterburners, gun, A2A missiles, and 4 weapons bays.

I flew the real 117 a few times, flew the waypoints, bombed the targets, flew home, never seen or threatened, and got bored. Went back to the more easily seen but also more capable F-19 immediately. smile These games should offer us that choice as well.

The Jedi Master

#4333365 - 01/31/17 02:41 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Jedi Master]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

There is the question of editing...will it always be like that video or is that one of the more spectacular ones that they cherry-picked for marketing?

Stealth games like SC, Thief, and Dishonored are best played slowly and quietly, yet marketing videos always show the most explosive sequences or someone deliberately playing it "wrong" just because heavy action looks better than slowly moving in the shadows does.

I would like it if these games had a separate setting that wasn't just some sop to players like "HUD off" but actually switched between Hollywood action film and realistic tactics required.

Anyone remember when F-117 Stealth Fighter 2 came out? The reality of the F-117 was far duller than the excitement that MPS postulated with the F-19 in the first game, so you had a choice of flying the "real" F-117 or the fictional F-19 with A2A radar, afterburners, gun, A2A missiles, and 4 weapons bays.

I flew the real 117 a few times, flew the waypoints, bombed the targets, flew home, never seen or threatened, and got bored. Went back to the more easily seen but also more capable F-19 immediately. smile These games should offer us that choice as well.

The Jedi Master

The choice is in the players hands.

After spending time with the game I can attest to the "play it your way" design the devs were going for. If you and your team, either 3 other players or AI, want to go in guns blazing you can. or if you want to recon the area and attack under the cover of night ninja style you can do that too. Some mission objectives do require you to "go loud" like when you have to blow up a SAM site. Even still there is a lot left up to the players on how to go about accomplishing this task. Steal a truck, plow through the gates, go Rambo, kill everything that moves, fire rocket into Sam OR sneak in, plant C4, sneak out, detonate from afar, go home and have a cold one. Again its all up to how you want to play the game.

Yes you can turn the HUD elements off and you can set the difficulty to what equate to 1-shot kills (Ghost difficulty).

Last edited by xIGuNDoCIx; 01/31/17 02:42 PM.
#4335110 - 02/06/17 05:23 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Help me out here. Are y'all saying it plays like FarCry 4? Splinter Cell:Blacklist?
Super Mario?

How was the MP COOP play?

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4335168 - 02/06/17 09:03 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The videos I've seen were very promising looking.
One group, played cautious, methodical and assaulted quietly never causing alarm. The other group...it was ugly, many deaths...but it was kinda funny. I think the 2nd group was trying to break the game, but it handled it reasonably well.

It's another slightly different variant of what Ubisoft has found to be a winner of a game concept. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, SC Blacklist (to a degree)...just slightly different approaches to scenarios that are pretty open to how you want to handle them. AC, FC and now GR do so in an open environment that gamers want these days. It's hardly a COD approach, it isn't a reflex shooter but takes some thought. (or so I take it from watching)

#4335178 - 02/06/17 09:46 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Bahger Offline
Bahger  Offline

LA, CA, USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
The videos I've seen were very promising looking.
One group, played cautious, methodical and assaulted quietly never causing alarm. The other group...it was ugly, many deaths...but it was kinda funny. I think the 2nd group was trying to break the game, but it handled it reasonably well.

It's another slightly different variant of what Ubisoft has found to be a winner of a game concept. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, SC Blacklist (to a degree)...just slightly different approaches to scenarios that are pretty open to how you want to handle them. AC, FC and now GR do so in an open environment that gamers want these days. It's hardly a COD approach, it isn't a reflex shooter but takes some thought. (or so I take it from watching)

Agreed that this was their aim, RK, but I think they bungled it horribly. Every aspect of tactical gameplay, including cover mechanics, tac-AI and mission balance, has been bungled by these devs, to the point at which The Division looks like a masterpiece and Metal Gear Solid V perfection itself. Perhaps coop plays better but in SP the bad combat, messy, unreliable stealth and all the tedious driving and grinding for skill/equipment upgrades puts it firmly in the "life's too short" category for me. I have no objection to this format (open world, persistent, RPG aspects, blah, blah) but Wildlands is an awful mess. I played the Closed Beta in SP for four hours, after which I realised I would never touch it again.

#4335190 - 02/06/17 11:19 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
That's unfortunate. Will have to keep an ear to the ground to see if they take any of it to heart before releasing. Kind of late for major changes.

#4335282 - 02/07/17 12:59 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
xIGuNDoCIx Offline
xIGuNDoCIx  Offline

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I know me and the fellas who played it in Coop had a blast and will be picking it up. We had no problem going full Ninja mode on the Ghost setting and pulling those missions off were very fun. The grind/level up is a a "video game" convention that is found in most games these days (for better or worse depending on your outlook) I personally don't mind it even if it makes no sense in the context of the games story. Why? Because I know its a video game. MGSV had a grind to it for equipment and base building as well. Its there to keep the players vested in the game to work towards a goal.

On a technical note the game played beautifully on my PC at max settings. I did not get any crashes but there were some semi-long load times when first starting up the game. After you get into the world I did not get any load times but then again this was only 1 out of 21 areas so I cannot say if there will be loading when switching areas. The playable area in the Beta was absolutely HUGE and if the other 20 area are on the same scale then the playable area for the entire game is going to be massive. On the Xbox One the game ran and looked great too. Obviously it looked much better on the PC than its console brethren.

The AI is AI so expect them to do dumb things. As I have stated before the game is much better when playing with like minded friends. There could have been a little more "hand holding" at the start to explain certain things to players (ie controls, icons etc) but in reality it wasn't that hard to figure out.

This is a game where you will want to grab a few beers, loosen the screws, and relax with friends.

#4338602 - 02/18/17 04:35 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Actually I kinda liked what I saw in Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Of course it isn't the good old original Ghost Recon - How I would love to see this game "resurrected"! But as others already said there's no hope for this. At least coming from a major "AAA" studio/developer like Ubisoft. Maybe someday some smaller developer (yet to be "born") could end up doing something like the original Ghost Recon? In the meanwhile there's always ArmA.

With this being said, again I liked what I saw in Ghost Recon Wildlands. I specially liked that this game will have a SINGLE PLAYER mode in mind or resuming that single player won't be an "afterthought" like in many other games nowadays such as the latest Rainbow 6 (Siege, if I'm not mistaken). On top of that it seems that you can play the single player game in Co-Op (instead of having AI teams mates you'll have Human team mates) which IMO is always a "blast".

Finally and as "the cherry on top of the cake" you can adjust the difficulty of the game so that you can be killed with a single shot/hit like happened in the original Ghost Recon game.
And there's also the open world "a la Far Cry 3 and 4" where you can man vehicles such as helicopters, "technicals", etc...
To me, it looks like a "winning recipe", lets hope that the implementation looks as good as the "recipe".

#4338921 - 02/20/17 02:40 PM Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands SP Walkthrough [Re: xIGuNDoCIx]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
There's definitely nothing wrong with the concept. It's all about the execution.
The open beta this coming weekend should be a good opportunity to judge.

The Jedi Master

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.