Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4329915 - 01/20/17 01:56 PM Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here?  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Posting this here for a wider audience than the Hardware/Software forum, I hope.

I need a printer bad, and probably two. I should have a little spare cash in a few weeks when I get my small amount of excess grant money and my small scholarship.

1. I need a "light duty" B & W printer for school and limited personal use. I am thinking a decent one with black ink only for school papers and correspondence that uses inexpensive ink and paper. 10 to 15 pages per week average.

2. A color printer that can take "limited amounts" of a much heavier paper than normal photo paper, as in good card stock and even heavier if possible. This will be used to learn and practice making greeting and occasion cards on a personal/student level. Not looking to do commercial quantities (yet). Photo quality color for this one, but again, a very limited budget. The heavier paper thing is important.

Looking for info, personal experience links to something besides "go look on Amazon or NewEgg". Kinda hoping for some expert advice if available.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4329956 - 01/20/17 04:33 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
Hardtale Offline
Hardtale  Offline

Hello Nixer.

For the B&W I recommend looking at the Brother printers as the are inexpensive and toner frequently goes on sale for $15-25.

Color printers, as you know, is where it gets expensive. All my recent experience with color has been on a Enterprise level so not much help to you there.

#4329957 - 01/20/17 04:35 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Good article and a few choices here: http://www.clark.com/shake-your-printer-cartridge-for-maximum-value

Remember that printer manufacturers no longer do any profit on the machines (not a significant one anyway), and the real expense is on the supplies.

A lot of people are moving towards refilling cartridges, which saves a good chunk of money, but in my experience, this causes issues on the mid-term on the life of the printers.

Epson sells expensive printers, but their cartridges are of lower cost than the competition.

http://www.clark.com/epson-printer-savebig-over-tim

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 01/20/17 04:37 PM.
#4329959 - 01/20/17 04:43 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
As for black and white, forget ink. Get a laser printer. It will save you a ton of money in ink, it doesn't let you down when you need it most since you can easily see your progress finishing the ink and the toner cartridges can be found cheap on amazon. For ours, we use a $55 cartridge a year, possibly printing more than you're talking about, but if you end up doing a lot more printing, there is a larger cartridge. Ink is no good for text printing. Most printers will continue to mix colors even for just making black and will drain other colors besides just black when printing text. A laser printer will save you a lot of money in the long run.

We have a Samsung ML-2850, which has done fine for around 5 years. I don't think you have to be as choosy with text and laser printers, mainly look to see which has cheaper toner. They're all going to be pretty fast. No need to use settings for darker text, all printing is done on toner saver settings and they come out perfectly fine.
Ours is a network printer, so it just connects to the router. Anyone can print to it just by installing the driver or an app. Most now have wifi which is even better.
The only thing I'd like to have is the ability to print legal size. I could probably buy another tray, but it isn't that big a deal.

Can't help on the color printer. I washed my hands of those things years ago in disgust. We print with online services or by sending to local stores and pick up later that day or the next.
The last photo printer I had was an HP that I liked as much as I could like one of those things. Probably my 3rd photo printer by that point.

edit: it was a Canon photo printer

Last edited by Raw Kryptonite; 01/20/17 06:15 PM.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4329971 - 01/20/17 05:49 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
There's definitely good advice already posted here, like going laser if you can.

For printing photo quality, keep in mind that regardless of the manufacturer, in most cases you'll really only get full photo quality if you use special photo paper. If you're not, then the inkjet printers may not be the quality you expect.

I have a color laser that does OK for photos, but again, it doesn't look like a photograph. I am not in front if it right now to confirm, but I think the one I have is this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-laserjet-...p?skuId=3566043

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4329981 - 01/20/17 06:11 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Arthonon]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
I have several printers. For high quality text we have an OKI B401d. Recommended.
For photos it's more tricky. I prefer the colour balance on Canon printers. Photo inkjet printers take heavier paper - photo paper is thick stuff compared to copy paper.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4330099 - 01/21/17 12:15 AM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: RedToo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thanks so much for the replies and info. It is greatly appreciated.

I would have never thought about a B&W laser printer. Great stuff and in the budget.

The color one is gonna be more difficult but so far with you guys input and other reading I am doing I am leaning towards the Epson color printers with pigment based ink but I have plenty of time to research that further.

For my more immediate needs a black and white laser from WalMart looks like a great idea so far.

Thanks again for the replies and great information.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4344138 - 03/13/17 10:31 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Hardtale]  
Ericlobo Offline
Ericlobo  Offline

BC
Originally Posted by HardTale
Hello Nixer.

For the B&W I recommend looking at the Brother printers as the are inexpensive and toner frequently goes on sale for $15-25. Unless you're into getting a color 3d printer which is something else. 3D printing companies are getting popular these days for sure.

Color printers, as you know, is where it gets expensive. All my recent experience with color has been on a Enterprise level so not much help to you there.

I second that. As far as the color printer goes, anything over $150 bucks by HP (Hewlett Packard) should do the trick. Affordable and quality prints. Unless you are looking to make your own then get a 3d Printer smile - Those little buggers are expensive though.

Last edited by Ericlobo; 12/02/17 08:43 AM.
#4344143 - 03/13/17 10:54 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Ericlobo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I got a nice Brother laser, with copier and scanner, and a fax if I ever get a landline.

Color is on hold till the fall probably.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4344165 - 03/14/17 12:00 AM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I'm a writer and I hate printers.

#4344212 - 03/14/17 05:05 AM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
As for black and white, forget ink. Get a laser printer. It will save you a ton of money in ink,

I bought an HP laser printer at Walmart for $100.00 CAD about 10 years ago and it is still on the same cartridge. I have an extra cartridge here but this is easily best bang-for-buck printer ever.

#4344292 - 03/14/17 03:02 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I must have missed this thread. I, too, am looking for a B&W-only printer and I never thought of going laser!

I had an HP Deskjet 520 in the 90's, loved it because it took a single big cartridge that seemed to last forever. I've been disappointed ever since.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4344310 - 03/14/17 04:29 PM Re: Any Printer Experts/Heavy Users here? [Re: Nixer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Sorry if a bit late on this thread... used to print out massive amounts of stuff. And by massive... DCS A10C manual.... 3x. DCS BS2 manual 2x. Tons and tons of RPG PDFs. And so on.

I used to print using an inkjet printer and do my own refills. I've now "upgraded" to a color laser printer and although I'm now buying official toner carts and not doing my own refills yet, it's way, way cheaper and I don't have to worry about ink smudging. My last printer was a Canon iP 9000 which can print up to A3 size and is very much considered to be a very good printer. Did my own refills for that and I still have some ink left.... but my printing needs has slowed down now....

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.