Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4131529 - 06/09/15 09:13 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: DudleyAz
Sokol,
Any chance that he is selling them? I'm getting a little push back from TM on selling me a replacement.

Just curious, on what ground are they pushing back on selling one to you? I mean, I could understand a bit more if it was push-back against free replacement.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4133887 - 06/14/15 02:59 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Quote:
...pushing back on selling one...

Similar history: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2220432&postcount=9

#4135893 - 06/18/15 09:48 AM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Maico Offline
Maico  Offline

Qatar
From a manufacturers point of view, you cant blame them. Its not good customer support but that is what they do... They Sell Stuff!
I had this same problem. It was not expensive to fix but they are a trial to talk to. Once I got the parts I was impressed with their support.
My WT is put away at the moment and I am on the X-55. I would rather be back on the WT or the X52 Pro. But it is what it is.
Good Luck Man! Don't blame yourself, you cant make an omelet if you don't crack a few eggs. However, you may think about investing in a cheap stick as a backup.

Food for thought.

Maico
i7 5930 @4.2Ghz
EVGA GTX1080 8GB Hybrid
DDR4 3000 x 32Gig
Fatal1ty x99x Mother
LG 34"UC97 Curved
Ultra Wide 3440x1440
TiR5, Thrustmaster Warthog,
Slaw Device Bf-109 Pedals
#4154427 - 08/06/15 05:51 AM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Just a quick update... After a few emails back and forth with customer support at TM, they agreed to sell me just the gimbal ball.

I believe a large portion of the problem was not knowing exactly what to call the item. It turns out, the ball in question is known as the 'Articulation Sphere' to Thrustmaster. Once I found that out and referred to it as such, they immediately offered to sell me one for 27 Euros, including shipping to me in Arizona. I jumped on it and it was at my door in about eight days. Which was a good thing because my repaired articulation sphere broke two days before the replacement showed up.

I greased and installed the new sphere in my Warthog (with the extension btw), and I am back to crashing... I mean flying again!

So, the secret word for today is 'Articulation Sphere'.

Thanks for all the input and advice!
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#4154458 - 08/06/15 10:16 AM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Times like this make us wish they just had a parts catalog for the Warthog, like Cougar World had and also like CH Products used to before the APEM acquisition and site overhaul, doesn't it?

I mean something like this, just with Warthog parts:
http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/warranty_parts.php

As for replacement metal articulation spheres, I dearly hope it's not cast metal. That just makes me think of the soft pot metal TM used in the past (FCS Pro, F-22 Pro, Cougar), and that's just asking for center play when it wears down in such a high-friction environment. PTFE would probably hold up better than that stuff.

#4213159 - 01/04/16 09:23 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

My Warthog gimbals replacement project is coming along... gonna be a few weeks until I have machine shop access again otherwise I would have a working example right now, but until I can mill a few slots in the support blocks I can't mount the printed part that holds the mx sensor in relation although I have the parts in hand.

Here's some pics so you can see where I'm going with this though. My initial gimbals use rocker arm/pendulum/tweezer centering like VKB/CH Products, except since Warthog has its sensor in the middle I was able to include provisions for centering mechanisms on both sides.

This allows higher spring tensions (there is a limit to how strong of a single spring you can use in this position) to deal with high mass grips like Warthog as well as extensions, although only a single set of centering mechanisms would be needed for normal centering strengths.

Current version fits in similar enclosure, but it will undergo another round of miniaturizing to make it fit better as well as be able to use the same bolt pattern, with the intent of being bolt-in replacement bases for existing installations.

Uses same form factor and overall dimensions and +/-20deg travel and relations between magnet/sensor, although due to the architecture will add roughly 1" to the arm of the throw of the stick even though it will sit at the same height (pivot point ~1" lower inside base to accommodate sensor etc), and my next generation of these will use cam centering.

#4213357 - 01/05/16 01:19 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
That looks amazing LocNar! How strong are the centering forces? The springs look pretty robust and I've found that having the stick center to forcefully, it makes it hard for me to do delicate tasks like midair refuel. I'm assuming it's all aluminum; are you seeing any interference or change in the hall sensor readings?
And of course the final question... Are you planning on selling these once you get it all dialed in? tuner

Keep up the good work!
Dud

#4213921 - 01/06/16 08:55 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

Thanks Dud, the springs in the pics are just placeholders from my local hardware store but centering forces are directly related to spring strength vs arm length and there is a variety available in this size, and with double mechanisms can accommodate sticks with extensions.

With only a single one of these spring per axis it's a bit soft with a Warty grip on it but it will right itself in the x axis, but the fore-aft weight difference on the nose heavy Warthog grip is noticeable and it will stay pitched down if I let go. At those lower forces however the mechanism does feel quite precise even when crossing the centers.

All the metal in proximity to the Mx sensor is non ferrous and my next versions will have less steel yet. I've played around with a live MX to gauge how sensitive it is to ferrous disturbances and any steel is outside the interference proximity I determined, but I have to mill 2 slots before I can mount the sensor and test it live.

That said, for how highly regarded this thing is I was surprised at how affected the MX was to stray steel. The other Halls I've worked with (Alegro) are resistant to such interference (unaffected by ferrous metal) and even stray magnets had to be surprisingly close to cause a problem.

On my mechanisms I played around with direct metal/metal contact as well as with mylar buffers and it was much quieter with the mylar so will be incorporating this and again will also be delving further into cams.

I do plan on making these available once I've got the details worked out, as well as much needed Cougar gimbals. Contemplating extensions with an offset also, for correcting balance as well as the same ergonomic reasons real planes have them but I digress...

#4219580 - 01/20/16 09:10 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Rumpelhardt Offline
Rumpelhardt  Offline

Maine
I think this might be what happened to mine. The gimbal rotates inside the base. I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know for sure.

Resident Bitter Clinger
#4219696 - 01/21/16 05:35 AM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Rumplehart,
If you have a lot of rotational movement in the stick, or if it suddenly isn't accurate at all in the x or y axis, then it is likely the 'articulation sphere' that has cracked or broken on you. I would recommend taking the base apart and checking it out. If it is cracked or broken, take a couple pictures of it, then contact Thrustmaster Customer Support and tell them you broke it and would like to purchase a replacement 'articulation sphere'.

They may try to sell you on the idea that you need a whole new base for $150 +/-, but just keep bringing them back to just the articulation sphere and they should finally cave.

Good luck!

#4282472 - 07/27/16 07:23 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
nka_ Offline
nka_  Offline

Quebec, Canada
LocNar, my TM Cougar gimbal is broken and I'm trying to find solutions.

Are you going to sell this gimbal soon?

Thanks! (I'll also send a PM in case).

#4323670 - 12/27/16 02:55 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Announced in Il-2(ru) forum - flea market (need loguin) - Bronze "Articulation Sphere".

image hosting over 5mb
https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/5297-sharnir-dlya-vartoga/

2.000 Rubbles

#4323897 - 12/28/16 03:43 AM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Does that price include shipping to the US?

#4323999 - 12/28/16 04:39 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
No, is just the piece.

FYI - The piece require fine "tuning" with sandpaper.

A guy in ED say that will offer similar option, "soon":

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2998716&postcount=27

#4324493 - 12/30/16 04:39 AM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: Sokol1]  
LocNar Offline
LocNar  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
No, is just the piece.

FYI - The piece require fine "tuning" with sandpaper.

A guy in ED say that will offer similar option, "soon":

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2998716&postcount=27

That's me, I will be offering metal articulation spheres soon. First in pewter (budget model!), later bronze. One slight modification I am going to make is adding the wire relief notch to both sides so there will be no chance of putting it on 'backwards' and pinching wires. It's a few months out, so if anyone is in a pinch pick up one of the bronze ones, it's a reasonable price for how much work it takes to investment cast those things...

I'm working on a z-axis twist mechanism to that will retrofit into Warthog grips in the form of an alternate tailpiece/locknut, but will req mods to the base to accommodate. A metal sphere to handle the torque loads and optional alternate miniDIN to keep the wiring cleanly. Optional with its own USB, but would still req the metal sphere or different gimbals.

#4329067 - 01/17/17 02:23 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
That isn't bad at ~$34 each US cost of manufacturing. Sokol1 do you think the guy still has any? I have zero clue how to navigate Cyrillic and that link you had there is coming up as not available. I have no idea how old this thread is either since SimHQ doesn't put dates in the post that I know of.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#4329091 - 01/17/17 03:08 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
ThatGuy Offline
ThatGuy  Offline

@Sokol1 For what he's selling I thought it would be sanded and ready to go. Or am I mistaken?

#4329348 - 01/18/17 12:53 PM Re: My Broken TM Warthog Stick Gimbal [Re: DudleyAz]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Seem this, the ball need a polish for use (I don't know Russian too).

But seems the guy cancel the sales.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.