Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 64 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 63 64
#4325291 - 01/02/17 02:30 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Just read this whole thread, great read and wicked build Dart! Loved the vid, you got more head movement than Ali biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4328901 - 01/16/17 06:29 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Why SpazCam(tm)?

1) Since it's a plane I built, I'm always making sure it's not coming apart. wink
2) Lots of no radio (NORDO) operations at the fields I fly at, and so I keep my head on a swivel.
3) Force of habit from too many flight sims!

Flying this aircraft is an exercise in straight up stick-and-rudder piloting. Outside of the slip indicator, the only gauge on the dash I look at is the oil temp. Mostly it's sight and sound for altitude, airspeed, and navigation. At 60 mph and 2,000 feet above the ground the finer points of precision flight are somewhat dulled, excepting the aforementioned slip.

The lack of a vertical stabilizer means that she'll tend to develop a slip on her own. It's subtle, and the inclination to a slight roll is to adjust with the ailerons in the opposite direction. Without realizing it one can get cross controlled!

If you watch the rearward view video, you'll notice the rudder is always a bit to the left. This isn't a design flaw or a feature, it just is what it is.

Anyhow, an update on the aircraft:

Wing transitions done:

Wavy tape down:

Wavy tape up:

It's not even close to historically correct, but I think it looks pretty good and was a simple solution.

Now for the non-historically correct blue trim and the dead on the money roundels!

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4329019 - 01/17/17 05:33 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

smile you must be working hard. That place is a mess. Just kidding clapping

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4329122 - 01/17/17 04:40 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It's a disaster zone!

Once painting is done I can pull everything out and sweep it up; until then the dirt and dust stay on the floor.

smile

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4329298 - 01/18/17 05:25 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Funny how I didn't even notice the mess until you pointed it out and only saw the wings.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4337267 - 02/14/17 02:11 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Dart, as a fellow taildragger and biplane pilot (and maybe some day an aviator, not just a mere pilot..), I love your dedication and skill. Your plane looks great!

Four of our five Tiger Moths do not have brakes. We usually land on the grass next to the runway, as that allows the tail skid to dig in and offer some control.
Do you usually wheel your plane in, or do you three-point her? Is she nervous around the yaw axis while on the ground?

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4337363 - 02/14/17 06:48 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Originally Posted By: Dart
It's a disaster zone!

Once painting is done I can pull everything out and sweep it up; until then the dirt and dust stay on the floor.

smile

I can come up and help you clean and organize your hangar like mine.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4337752 - 02/15/17 11:03 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
That's unnatural.

smile

Crankshaft is bent, or at least out of true to where I'm going to replace it.

So I have to order a new one and then do the whole tear down, replace, and rebuild thing.

What's another three hundred bucks, right?

From Laser:
#4338048 - 02/16/17 08:24 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
That's unnatural.

smile

Crankshaft is bent, or at least out of true to where I'm going to replace it.

So I have to order a new one and then do the whole tear down, replace, and rebuild thing.

What's another three hundred bucks, right?

Lol, gotta agree. I never see any hangars at Chino that are as clean as OG's. Most of them look ten times worse than yours.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4338093 - 02/16/17 10:41 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
OG, are you going to tell them, or shall I?

#4338121 - 02/17/17 12:26 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: CyBerkut]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
yep

Inquiring minds want to know?

edit: Sorry about the crank Dart...

You are in for another learning experience with a rebuild.

Too bad you don't know any Germans....oh wait.... fearful

Last edited by Nixer; 02/17/17 12:29 AM. Reason: Cranked

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4338122 - 02/17/17 12:30 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
He is alluding to the girls that I have clean the hangar in exchange for sight-seeing flights.

He can't keep things quiet.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4338124 - 02/17/17 12:34 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Sailors...loose lips sink ships and all that.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4338398 - 02/17/17 08:04 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: semmern]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted By: semmern
Dart, as a fellow taildragger and biplane pilot (and maybe some day an aviator, not just a mere pilot..), I love your dedication and skill. Your plane looks great!

Four of our five Tiger Moths do not have brakes. We usually land on the grass next to the runway, as that allows the tail skid to dig in and offer some control.
Do you usually wheel your plane in, or do you three-point her? Is she nervous around the yaw axis while on the ground?

Short wheel base = squirrelly on three pointers, so it's wheel landings, and letting the tail drop on her own and then pasting it there. Kind of funny that I almost exclusively three pointed the Champ.

But it's your typical "lazy" wheel landing, in that it's tail low with just a touch of power, so it could turn into a three pointer if she wanted it, and since the Nieuport is one big exercise in drag, once the mains are down the stick doesn't need to go full forward. She'll settle and track straight for about 200 feet and the tail's down at just a little forward of neutral.

I'm still landing her a little hot, but it's a long runway and airspeed is my friend.

Hell, one could keep the stick there or just a bit behind neutral and be just fine all the way to the hangar.*

Indeed, landing her was easy to figure out - I was takeoffs that I had to seriously work through. It took a few flights to figure out that it's stick back about a four inches from neutral and let her takeoff from a three point configuration. My Flight #2 video is what happens if the tail comes up too soon. Loads of elevator, so it'll come up before the rudder has authority.

* My Nieuport in many ways is just a fat ultralight, so it's super VFR low winds kind of plane. I had one eight knot wind crosswind landing - no video, naturally - that I actually nailed, but no damned fun at all. I considered taking the WWII strip that is officially a taxiway/access road if I had to bail out of it, as it's 90 degrees to the official one.

Using the grass at my field is a no go unless one has a bush plane. Plowed fields have fewer ruts and holes. Plus the mowing is so inconsistent that it's a crap shoot. The airfield cuts the grass between the runways and on the outsides o the VASI lights, and the Speedway cuts it past that. In my wreck, if they had cut the grass past that tiny strip there wouldn't have been a wreck...but the grass was over knee high instead.

Last edited by Dart; 02/17/17 08:05 PM.

From Laser:
#4338485 - 02/18/17 01:41 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: oldgrognard]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
He is alluding to the girls that I have clean the hangar in exchange for sight-seeing flights.

He can't keep things quiet.

This is who oldgrognard imagines he has cleaning his hangar:

This is who he actually has cleaning his hangar:

#4338700 - 02/19/17 12:19 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Yeah, but the "range girl" more than makes up for it.

From Laser:
#4338714 - 02/19/17 01:20 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Dart understands.

#4338722 - 02/19/17 02:31 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Uh-huh...

wink

#4339177 - 02/21/17 10:22 AM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway

Short wheel base = squirrelly on three pointers, so it's wheel landings, and letting the tail drop on her own and then pasting it there. Kind of funny that I almost exclusively three pointed the Champ.

But it's your typical "lazy" wheel landing, in that it's tail low with just a touch of power, so it could turn into a three pointer if she wanted it, and since the Nieuport is one big exercise in drag, once the mains are down the stick doesn't need to go full forward. She'll settle and track straight for about 200 feet and the tail's down at just a little forward of neutral.

I'm still landing her a little hot, but it's a long runway and airspeed is my friend.

Hell, one could keep the stick there or just a bit behind neutral and be just fine all the way to the hangar.*

Indeed, landing her was easy to figure out - I was takeoffs that I had to seriously work through. It took a few flights to figure out that it's stick back about a four inches from neutral and let her takeoff from a three point configuration. My Flight #2 video is what happens if the tail comes up too soon. Loads of elevator, so it'll come up before the rudder has authority.

* My Nieuport in many ways is just a fat ultralight, so it's super VFR low winds kind of plane. I had one eight knot wind crosswind landing - no video, naturally - that I actually nailed, but no damned fun at all. I considered taking the WWII strip that is officially a taxiway/access road if I had to bail out of it, as it's 90 degrees to the official one.

Using the grass at my field is a no go unless one has a bush plane. Plowed fields have fewer ruts and holes. Plus the mowing is so inconsistent that it's a crap shoot. The airfield cuts the grass between the runways and on the outsides o the VASI lights, and the Speedway cuts it past that. In my wreck, if they had cut the grass past that tiny strip there wouldn't have been a wreck...but the grass was over knee high instead.

I'd like to have a go in a Nieuport to see what it's like.
There is a guy in Sweden, Mikael Carlsson, who specializes in WWI-era planes, and even earlier. He has crossed the English Channel in his Bleriot, and performed at several shows here with it. He also has a Fokker Dr.I and a D.VII.

A former colleague of mine also commissioned a Bleriot XI replica, similar to the one used by Norwegian Tryggve Gran, who was the first person to cross the North Sea in an aeroplane in 1914. Check this out: http://warbirds.no/fly/bleriot.htm

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4339224 - 02/21/17 01:55 PM Re: 7/8 scale Nieuport 11. [Re: Dart]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
You crazy young men and your flying machines!

Page 30 of 64 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 63 64

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.