Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4332086 - 01/27/17 06:34 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I actually kind of enjoyed John Carter, but I'm not sure if that was because I had such low expectations going in based on all I'd heard about it prior and it surprised me. And, well, Lynn Collins looked pretty good in it smile.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4332087 - 01/27/17 06:38 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I enjoyed both of those SneakyPete,especially Equilibrium. Probably seen it 4 or 5 times now.Must be due another viewing soon smile

Last edited by Chucky; 01/27/17 06:38 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4332089 - 01/27/17 06:47 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I liked Equilibrium as well but I couldn't stop thinking that it was just a derivative of the Matrix and 1984.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4332440 - 01/28/17 06:51 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

popcorn

I also enjoyed the John Carter film. It had the flavor of the Barsoom books that I have read although, the added #@%& I could do without. As for, the lead Actress: She should have been a bit younger and some of her lines felt wrong for that situation. However, I do have to admit she was enjoyable to look at and seemed to be capable of making me suspend my reality and enjoy her work. popcorn

Last edited by carrick58; 01/28/17 06:52 PM.
#4332505 - 01/28/17 11:32 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
speedbump Offline
Hotshot
speedbump  Offline
Hotshot

Edgewood TX
The original Westworld. It's torture to sit through that but I did it for old times sake. The acting in it was just amazingly bad.

#4332582 - 01/29/17 03:55 AM Re: The absolute worst [Re: speedbump]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: speedbump
The original Westworld. It's torture to sit through that but I did it for old times sake. The acting in it was just amazingly bad.

While channel surfing I found Futureworld today. I finally made it through to the end. Though the years I would always get interrupted and have to go do something else. Peter Fonda, enough said. I had forgotten Yul was also in it as the Gunfighter.

#4332747 - 01/29/17 08:09 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: speedbump]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Originally Posted By: speedbump

This movie was a super hit in 1973, but I guess studios did not know how to capitalize on it since the blockbuster movie was still not a thing.

Budget
$1,250,000 (estimated)

Gross
$10,000,000 (USA) ( 1973)

#4332938 - 01/30/17 01:32 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If you're going to define "bad" by box office return, you have a clear inarguable marker. A movie made money or it didn't.

When you start saying things like "I couldn't stand this film" or "film X which made very little money and almost no one saw is so much better than film Y that made a ton of cash, spawned multiple sequels, and has been seen by half the free world", then it's just opinion and it turns into a "this is what I think!"/"No, I think different!" slog where some people look to offend the people who like what they hated as much as possible.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4332943 - 01/30/17 01:40 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
+1 Jedi

Box office performance is the only objective barometer that you can compare movies by.

There's also the topic of which films made a lasting impact on the industry and which ones were quickly forgotten. For the most part that can be pretty objective.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4332967 - 01/30/17 02:30 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Right. You may not like Star Wars or Jaws, but those films definitely made a ton of money, were seen by many people, and affected both popular culture and the film industry. That can't be denied, no matter your opinion of the worth of the efforts.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4332968 - 01/30/17 02:33 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Ohm...since I mentioned Box Office -

I did not state it as a matter of liking or disliking the film (I think Westworld is a classic, but it was not the point I wanted to argue).

I just stated the fact as a way to establish a contrasting perspective to the opinion that the film was bad, but not as a qualifier of the content.

If I thought that, then I would suggest to give the Michael Bay Transformers films all the Oscars ever conceived for anything.

#4333025 - 01/30/17 03:49 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
A film need not be award-winning quality to be a worthwhile way to spend a couple of hours.

The point is that while there are certain films that are universally agreed to be lame (Plan 9 From Outer Space), to call a blockbuster one of the worst films ever made is one of those internet-type statements that cannot be taken seriously. If they truly feel that way, and are not just stating it to be seen as either "in" or "out" with some prevailing attitude, they still have to know that their opinion is not in the majority.

Sure, some people didn't like it. A lot of people did. So while it's not an Oscar contender, it likewise cannot be in the same class as some of these others which have no redeeming qualities besides pointing at it and laughing. Or curling up in a ball and crying "turn it off! TURN IT OFF!". Like Virus will make you do.

The Jedi Master

#4333221 - 01/31/17 01:37 AM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Box office performance is the only objective barometer that you can compare movies by.

a) ROI would be another good metric - how much profit generated compared to the production (plus marketing) budget, but harder to come by
b) Arguably however, box office success is only a metric for sales of tickets, in other words, purchasing decisions made by the audience without actually having seen it yet. Of course there's still word of mouth propaganda that contributes to the box office success, but still - a metric can be objective, and yet still be off the mark
c) Finally, where's the fun in an objective metric in the first place when the thread title (in an internet forum, of all places) specifically asks for an opinion? Arguably, introducing box office results is off-topic in that case. We're not here to demonstrate our ability to research financial data (which for most would boil down to nothing more than an IMDB query) and then to compile a ranking order of the biggest box office bombs of all time.

I mean, Cleopatra:
Was it a bad film? No. (Not one of the greatest ever, but still not "bad")
Did it make a profit at the box office? No.
But that was not because the film wasn't "successful", it made a LOT of money. It's just that its production had cost so much MORE.

So, where's your god of objectivity now?
Muahaha!

#4333282 - 01/31/17 08:43 AM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
The most objective metric to judge the popularity of a movie would be long-term home entertainment sales, IMO.

Box office returns are not that objective, because - as Ssnake pointed out - people can be tricked (=marketing) into going to the theater, but may still hate the movie they just saw (yet the ticket has been sold nevertheless).

Blade Runner and Dune tanked at the box office, yet are considered good movies; because they still "live on" through home entertainment.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4333307 - 01/31/17 11:53 AM Re: The absolute worst [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Ssnake

I mean, Cleopatra:
Was it a bad film? No. (Not one of the greatest ever, but still not "bad")
Did it make a profit at the box office? No.
But that was not because the film wasn't "successful", it made a LOT of money. It's just that its production had cost so much MORE.

A little bit of trivia for you: Cleopatra was the first Hollywood film where an actor/actress was paid one million dollars for their role.

#4333308 - 01/31/17 11:54 AM Re: The absolute worst [Re: Jayhawk]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
The most objective metric to judge the popularity of a movie would be long-term home entertainment sales, IMO.

Box office returns are not that objective, because - as Ssnake pointed out - people can be tricked (=marketing) into going to the theater, but may still hate the movie they just saw (yet the ticket has been sold nevertheless).

Blade Runner and Dune tanked at the box office, yet are considered good movies; because they still "live on" through home entertainment.

Excellent points Jayhawk and Ssnake.

#4333320 - 01/31/17 12:25 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Blade Runner is to me not only a good film (because I love Film Noir, and Science Fiction, and Blade Runner created a brilliant mix), but a great one because it raised relevant questions about humanity and (strong) Artificial Intelligence when it still appeared very much to be a mere fantasy of science-fiction writers. If we are the sum of all our memories, and a technology to implant memories is developed, how can anyone be certain of his own identity?
Granted, Philip K. Dick suffered from Amphetamine induced paranoia, and his work shows that as a recurring theme, but still, the movie is one of my all-time favourites. It raises questions but doesn't try to force an answer on the audience.

I suppose I'll have to watch it again some time soon.

#4333321 - 01/31/17 12:28 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
It raises questions but doesn't try to force an answer on the audience.

Films that do this are among my favorite. It seems that most people want films that explain everything and give a definitive answer.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/31/17 02:06 PM.

#4333347 - 01/31/17 01:50 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Watch Lost and you'll change your tune.

The Jedi Master

#4333359 - 01/31/17 02:07 PM Re: The absolute worst [Re: Jedi Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Watch Lost and you'll change your tune.

The Jedi Master
Lost is "make shi* up along the way and hope it sticks later". That's a far cry from a film that intentionally leaves some open ended questions that challenge the viewer to think about what they saw. smile

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.