Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4319814 - 12/14/16 05:33 PM Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

After a long time, I'll try to write an AAR again.
This virtual battle was played on 11dec16. Both sides are human controlled. Blue used german equipment and are in defence, RED uses british gear and is on the attack.

Blue Strength:
1 CO tank (Leo2A6)(Commanded by "Zipuli")
4 tanks (Leo2A6)
4 IFV Marder (PzGren platoon)
2 IFV Marder (equiped with Spike ATGM) as AT section
2 LUCHS , scout section
4 Mortars
CSS stuff

RED Strength:
1 CO tank (CR2) (Commanded by "Assassin-7")
8 tanks CR2 (2 tank troops)
8 IFV Warrior (2 MechInf platoons)
4 Mortars
Css stuff

Pic 1,Starting situation
Starting situation and "mission" are seen in pic 1. The battle area in centered around the towns of ANTTILA and NÄKKIMISTÖ in south-eastern Finland.

Both town are Objectives in this shootout, and as said, RED having superior numbers, is on the attack.

I myself was fighting on blue side as "boss" of the AT-section. My job was to use my 2 Marders and the dismount team to secure the forest area west of NÄKKIMISTÖ and provide flanking fire with the ATGMs into OBJ ANTTILA.
To my right was a tank platoon commanded by Colebrock.

And in front of me a recon section with 2 LUCHS recon manned by Duke and vehicles did some scouting.

The extreme right of our defensive line was manned by Wiglif's grenadier platoon

This promised to be an interesting fight. Our Marders 20mm guns, where basicly powerless against the Warriors. But their less then weapon mount could enable us to move in and kill them with hand held AT weapons...Or cry fro help from our tanks :-P

...to be continued

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 12/14/16 07:36 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4319852 - 12/14/16 07:35 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

...so we are spread out pretty thin, a main effort to the center right, the scouts an my section the meager left wing/flank.

As it starts out scouts move out on the left through NÄKKIMISTÖ, IOT try and establish contact with the enemy.

Sadly, that contact comes sooner then expected, and is closer then the scouts like.
In a brawl between a Challender 2 and a Luchs, there can be no doubt about the outcome.

Reverse driver and TC of one vehicle manage to jump out and fire their PzFst

Which detonates harmlessly on the CR2's thick front armour, the Scouts, to close to the impact get killed by it too.

The only thing positive on that engagement, was that one of the enemy attack-teams was spotted, and our Mortar crews spring to action.

This does not do much damage to the enemy AFVs (at least 4 CR2 and 4 Warrior are in the area), but causes casualties amoungst the british infantry.

So, with our recon team gone, there is not much but trees between me and the enemies right attacking force...I just hope Colebrocks men get some good flank shots

...tbc

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4320054 - 12/15/16 03:29 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the battle unfolded.
Kudos, to the panzer grenadier who took on the Cr-2 with a RPG he died a heros death. LoL

Last edited by marko1231123; 12/15/16 03:34 PM.
#4320514 - 12/16/16 09:01 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Marko, this was a Luchs, so they where Aufklärer(Scouts). Had it been Grenadiers, they 'd have rushed forward and beat the CR2 to death with their spades :-P

...ok, lets move on.
After our Recon effort on the left was squashed, RED made their own move in the center.
To Challengers moved in just south of NÄKKIMISTÖ, and one of them spotted our pickets near the open ground.
A grenadier section had taken an OP in a house...the brits sent their regards:

The house and the grenadier team where obliterated

Lucky for us, Zipuli spotted the muzzle flash of the UK tank and retaliated.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4320753 - 12/17/16 05:44 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Rinaldi_AARs Offline
Rinaldi_AARs  Offline

Watching this with great interest. Despite losing the Recce so early I'd say the Germans are off to a good start, with a Chally already in the bag!

#4320914 - 12/18/16 11:01 AM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Yes, the Luchs losses where disheartening, but the CR2 engagement by the "boss" himself cheered up a bit ...leading from the front at its finest ;-)

As it goes on, ASSASIN7 having succesfully blocked our recce, and establishing contact with our center, order his left wing to attack.
A combat team of 4 Warriors and 4 CR2 moved into the forest. southeast of ANTTILA

Close range fighting between the Infantry ensuded and our overstreched Grenadierplatoon was hard pressed.

As the Warrior moved forward, BADGERCORE and RAD moved their tank sligtly right. I assume IOT protect the right flank of the armoured infantry. But 2000m to the west , COLEBROOKS tank platoon mounted a reverse slope defence. In the following long range duel, the Challengers came out second:

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4321698 - 12/20/16 01:16 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Rinaldi_AARs]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rinaldi_AARs
Watching this with great interest. Despite losing the Recce so early I'd say the Germans are off to a good start, with a Chally already in the bag!

The CR-2 can match the Leo-2A6 in armour value but its ammunition cant. so my moneys on the leo-2
Unless the CR-2 manage to flank them.
Grenny I knew that was a recon scout but did not know the German word for scout the last time I used Google translate it did not work out well. LoL

#4321748 - 12/20/16 04:31 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: marko1231123]  
Rinaldi_AARs Offline
Rinaldi_AARs  Offline

Originally Posted By: marko1231123

Unless the CR-2 manage to flank them.

A definite challenge for the UK - British AFVs aren't known for their nimbleness. I'd have to give the edge to tactical mobility to the Leos.

That being said, the Germans are blind, given their loss of Recce. This could allow the British to break contact and strike at different points with much greater ease. Pry and claw for a way in on a flank.

Definitely hoping for more updates soon!

Last edited by Rinaldi_AARs; 12/20/16 04:32 PM.
#4321883 - 12/20/16 10:03 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Sry for the late reply, but I'm serious short in time nowadays :-/

To continue, the UK side pushed what turned out to be their main effort on their left against our PzGren Plt.
They where spread out to far...and the Marders 20mm is useless against the Warriors armour.
So the made good way into the forest, killing serveral grenadiers and 2 Marder on their way

The only thing stopping them, was again the CO himselft in his tank...beeing guided by our infantry, he was able to find several of the Warriors.

The 30mm Rader is just as useless against Frontal armour of the Leopard.
And at short range

The DM53 goes right trough

And still kills (provided it hits something squishy or bangy inside the IFV)

But Finaly, Forester in his CR2 was able to bypass and gut Zipuli's tank

But the Enemy Main effort was blunted in tha area. And the grenadiers where able to bring their AT weapons on targets that had slowed down:

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4322612 - 12/23/16 08:28 AM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

At roughly the same time, in the sector north of ANTTILA a Warrior is send southwest, probably on a recon mission.
The tank are able to spot some infantry moving in the wood and engage with MG.

A few minutes later, manning my picket, I spot the Warrior moving about 150-200m lo my left.(I could not get a clear shot at it)

I informed Duke(who was now playing as my wingman after losing the Recon section). An he positioned his infantry team to my left. So either way, one of us would be able to get a flank shot at the enemy ITV

My team was still getting into position when the enemy stumbled into Duke grunts:

Thus we had left flank secured for the moment.

The situation a few minuted later:

Zipuli made some very good decisions here:
The Grenadierplatoon was entangled with the enemy and had to pull out, or be destroyed.
The Leopard paltoon in the center, would then be outflanked by the enemy, se he pulled them out to.
This way he had good force of 4 tanks and 2 IFV+a few grunts just south of ANTTILA and ready to counterattack, while my section was still able to guard the left flank and support the counterattack with missile fire...

PS.: The gaping hole in our center is in fact a perfect trap, but Assassin7 beeing no rooky, didn't take the bait ;-)

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 12/23/16 08:30 AM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4322683 - 12/23/16 03:32 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Its unfortunate for team UK they have no heavy Arty to bring to bear
To clear a path through you lines.
They seem to be losing the battle of attrition.

Last edited by marko1231123; 12/23/16 03:33 PM.
#4322893 - 12/24/16 05:08 AM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

tanksalot

Good Reading.

#4326519 - 01/06/17 11:14 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

1st, my appologies for not getting anything done between the years, time to wörk again:

The Last post had the situation in my sector cleared, Grenadier and Tank platoon bruised but in fighting shape, disengaged in the center...

The RED side was still going for the OBJ ANTTILA, so finaly, my section got to do what is was originaly signed up for...bring down some SPIKE ATGM :-)

A pair of CR2s was spotted in the OBJ...and we let it fly.

Our target survived, but is combatineffective now.
My position came under arty fire minutes later, taking casualties, so we had to pull out.

But now e haved stopped the enemy attack and we KNOW their positions(and they are not very organized)!! Our Commander would be a tool if he didn't exploit that: COUNTERATTACK

Our tanks make a jab north and decide the battle within minutes:

After that, RED retreated what ever unit was still mobile back to the northern OBJ, and set up a defence there.

We held our line and neutralized the attacking force :-)

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org
#4327202 - 01/09/17 03:30 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Rinaldi_AARs Offline
Rinaldi_AARs  Offline

Thanks for following up so diligently, great AAR

#4327250 - 01/09/17 05:25 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Rinaldi_AARs]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rinaldi_AARs
Thanks for following up so diligently, great AAR

+1

Looking at the mission From a different perspective.
What way would you have conducted the Team UK attack Ronin.?

#4327429 - 01/10/17 12:31 AM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Thank you for the great AAR's. I am always on the fence about getting back into this title and when I see the lengthy and detailed AARs such as this one, makes me want to get into it even more.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4327515 - 01/10/17 09:18 AM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I might have put a tank platoon into the northern objective, facing south, and thus covering about half of the space between PL YORK and PL ESSEX by fire, denying the attempt of Blue to dash across. Also, I think I would have attempted to send one tank platoon in support of the mech platoon's northern attack, from the northern objective towwards the knob about 1000 south of the northern OBJ.
This knob appears the crucial terrain element that offers cover and a wide enough base for up to two tank platoons facing south (the ground to the west, and to the northeast of the knob).

Going over the top of the hill of the southern OBJ turned out to be a terrible mistake because it denies quick mobility, restricts visibility to the hill slope, and negates any standoff range advantage that you might otherwise have. Sending recce forces through that hill complex in the south was a good idea, but only if they find the area undefended to the objective it would allow to commit the reserve mech platoon through that space. Otherwise, keep pushing from the north.

Now, of course the Spike missile makes using hills for cover more difficult; only forested space may provide cover against a divinf missile - provided that you know that it's in the air (most of the time you would not, I guess). Launching an attack without proper artillery support may be the crucial element missing from Red's force to be able to win this in the first place.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4327612 - 01/10/17 04:05 PM Re: Steelbeasts UK<>GE battle in FINLAND [Re: Ronin_GE]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

I must say the terrain is pretty much in favour of the defender here. A week earlier we did an attack the ouhter way around, wuith me as blue_CO.
I tried to use ad cover the open grounds, by my offensive got slaugthered by Javelin ATGMs.
Infantry is the king here!!

So in this sense Assasins approach worked better then mine...he avoided the open areas and tried to use the tanks in very close cooperation with the infantry.
But this is very hard to coordinate for the company and platoon leaders...and this coordination falied in more then one place, giving the defenders an edge.

nec cupias, nec metuas

www.steelbeasts.com
www.steelbeasts.org

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.