Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4326514 - 01/06/17 10:39 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
As for why people who own trucks but then don't use them for their "assumed" purpose I don't know. One would have to ask them. As RK said though often times they make for a really comfortable ride plain and simple.

I've always appreciated their extra visibility with the small cab and rear window to be able to see through myself.
When I was a tire tech I worked with a guy named Tony for five years. Tony was a 20 year Army vet in his 50s and 60s still mounting tires for a living for fifteen years. He's a simple man with simple needs. He owns a black, 2003 F-150. That's his only vehicle and his "baby" so to speak. He drives it because he likes trucks. He has simpler needs for he and his wife. A simple man with simple needs, his truck is his pride and joy and his hobby. He loves spending his very little personal time working on his truck, keeping it running right, fixing problems, ordering and installing replacement parts and washing it, changing the oil himself and so on. That's what he likes to do. It brings him enjoyment and satisfaction in maintaining it and taking pride in it. That's his therapy.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4326530 - 01/06/17 11:58 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The choice of car is as much a matter of functional requirements as it is an expression of identity. Car makers know very well that the decision "this is my car" is rarely a rational one. The irony is that people who are otherwise extremely aware of identity politics in other places cannot recognize it when it stares them in the eye, just from an unexpected angle.

#4326924 - 01/08/17 05:52 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I'm not a Texan, but I've owned pickups the majority of my life for the same reason I own firearms: when you need one, there is no substitute.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4326941 - 01/08/17 06:32 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: Dart]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Dart
I'm not a Texan, but I've owned pickups the majority of my life for the same reason I own firearms: when you need one, there is no substitute.

This is truth!!!
2 years was the length of time I didn't own a truck.
I don't drive it much but it is invaluable when we need it
burnout

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4326954 - 01/08/17 07:13 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Most people who live near a large city, don't own a small business & have 0.5 acres or less of land will do better by not having a PU truck. A good utility vehicle with detachable rear seats that fold flat and then attach to the interior left and right sides of the vehicle are nice. Not only is the ride likely to be more comfortable than a truck but also less costly in gas.

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4327022 - 01/09/17 12:05 AM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
mbeaver Offline
mbeaver  Offline

Arizona, USA
I've almost always had a PU truck. All were little four-bangers though except the first, a 1948 Chevy and my current 2016 Tacoma.

#4327025 - 01/09/17 12:12 AM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: Haggart
Most people who live near a large city, don't own a small business & have 0.5 acres or less of land will do better by not having a PU truck. A good utility vehicle with detachable rear seats that fold flat and then attach to the interior left and right sides of the vehicle are nice. Not only is the ride likely to be more comfortable than a truck but also less costly in gas.

What about .5123 acres? Potholes?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4327075 - 01/09/17 03:56 AM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
It's the same in Alberta, Canada. They buy pickup trucks because they think it makes them more "manly". I have this friend with a huge manly pickup truck but he is actually just a skinny little runt.

I'm the opposite, I'm a big guy but buy small efficient cars.

#4327096 - 01/09/17 07:58 AM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I have to admit that when I lived in Texas I also didn't understand the fascination with pickup trucks. That's also when I learned about a vehicle called a "Dually". biggrin

As for me personally, if I had to haul stuff around on a frequent basis I would definitely consider getting one but otherwise I'm perfectly happy with my Toyota Corolla.

From my time living in Texas I learned that the top 4 biggest passions there are,

1. Deer Hunting
2. Football
3. Jesus
4. Pickup trucks

And not necessarily in that order. wink

I thought in Florida plenty drove trucks to. I don't get it either. Unless you actually use it, I wouldn't want to pay the extra for gas and pain when it comes to finding parking.

#4327220 - 01/09/17 04:15 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
What I don't like is when people deliberately buy a truck larger than they need and then presume to impose their choice on the rest of us.

So you thought you, personally, needed an F-250? Not for your job, but for taking the kids to school, going out to dinner, and so on? Well, then you must accept that it won't fit in the near parking spaces and you're going to need to park in the farther spots of the lot and walk.
You're not allowed to take 2+ parking spots because you feel the need to buy a work vehicle for personal use. And I know it's personal and not work because
1) the truck is sparkly clean
2) the bed is empty, and clean

Taking up two close spaces with your oversized POS is exactly the same as telling people you're so important you deserve two spots.

You're NOT, and you DON'T.

Oh yeah, and stop backing into the compact cars that are behind you. My mother-in-law is in a near-accident almost monthly from trucks backing up with the "I didn't see you" excuse. If you couldn't see behind you, maybe you should drive another vehicle where you can.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4327223 - 01/09/17 04:21 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
+1,000 Jedi

I always get a very strong urge to key a pickup or some other oversized vehicle (SUV) that is taking up 2 parking spaces.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4327236 - 01/09/17 04:44 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS

Just get a minivan. Even more useful. That's what most SUV's are anyway. My wife has a VW wagon that we love, and yes, it's very useful. Personally, I'd rather have a truck since it's capable of larger items and her car covers the other duties.
This enters the area of the other trucks: Avalanche, Ridgeline, Explorer Sport Trac etc. Smaller bed, capable of large items but not full sheets of plywood, they offer some benefits for lifestyle over regular trucks. Personally, I'd love to find a well priced Avalanche. I like the rear cover and side storage the new Rams copied. Huge cab to boot.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4327241 - 01/09/17 04:59 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Quote:

Taking up two close spaces with your oversized POS is exactly the same as telling people you're so important you deserve two spots.

The same goes for the douchebag with a Mercedes, a Charger, or any other car they think deserves "extra space."

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4327272 - 01/09/17 06:11 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
We have been looking for a good used minivan for my father. Good lord they want a lot of money for them. $20,000 for a 2013 Dodge Caravan with 70,000 miles on it? I'll pass, thanks. And there aren't many on the lots either.

#4327274 - 01/09/17 06:15 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: Dart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Dart
Quote:

The same goes for the douchebag with a Mercedes, a Charger, or any other car they think deserves "extra space."

Absolutely!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4327284 - 01/09/17 06:33 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
I live in rural Texas and just to be different I drive a Mini Cooper S. Not the most practical car, but it sure is fun to drive. smile

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4327285 - 01/09/17 06:35 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
A Brit driving a Mini Cooper who lives in Texas.

Someone should make a movie based on that. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/09/17 06:43 PM.

#4327289 - 01/09/17 06:41 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
If you live in a rural Texas area and drive a Mini Cooper you could get roughed up

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4327295 - 01/09/17 06:52 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Paul Rix Offline
Paul Rix  Offline

NW of Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
A Brit driving a Mini Cooper who lives in Texas.

Someone should make a movie based on that. biggrin

And I fly a Canadian built airplane too. hahaha .

If you live in a rural Texas area and drive a Mini Cooper you could get roughed up

They would have to catch me first, and the Mini is far more nimble than a truck. neaner

wink

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
#4327315 - 01/09/17 07:53 PM Re: NY Times > trucks in Texas [Re: Haggart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA

Not hardly.

Everyone would want to know two things:

1) Where'd you get it?

2) What kind of rifle actually fits the gun rack in the back window?

[edit]

I actually have fishing poles in the gun rack of my truck. smile

Last edited by Dart; 01/09/17 07:54 PM.

From Laser:
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.