Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4327492 - 01/10/17 04:08 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper
Who's going to sell the Craftsman trade marked things now (Kmart sold Craftsman stuff for a few years too)?

Stanley bought Black & Decker a couple of years ago to become Stanley Black & Decker

They also own Proto, Porter Cable, Vidmar, CribMaster, DeWalt, Bostitch, Mac Tools, Irwin, and some others.

3 days ago Stanley Black & Decker made a deal to pay $525 million when the transaction closes, which is expected to occur by year-end, and an additional $250 million at the end of the third year after closing. Sears will also collect a percentage of new Craftsman sales for 15 years after the deal closes. The transaction is now valued at $900 million.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4327494 - 01/10/17 04:21 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: JimK]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: JimK
Macy`s downtown store in Minneapolis just closed. Was the largest retail store
to close in MSP in years.

We had a K-mart that closed 6 years ago. Target closed 2 years ago. Our Ace True Value
store closed this past summer. The only giants of the retail industry holding their own
around here is Walmart and Menard`s. Running`s is our Mills Fleet Farm and holding their
own. The prices in there I wonder how long it will be before they go down to. Love looking
around there Guns and safes. They sell a line guns safes that start at $2800 all they way
up 12K. And you would need to build it into the house you are building. They are only moved
by heavy forklift in store. Built like a Tank.

Oh yes, we had a Pamida that closed 10 years ago. To many clearance and used stores taking
over those empty places. Not to sure if our Sears outlet store will close right away or not.
You know those mini Sears stores in outlet malls.

Just watching the 10 o'clock news, Macy's downtown is having their clearance sale now. They still have the Mall of America, Southdale, and Ridgedale stores.

Haven't thought about Pamida in years. googled my home town of Detroit Lakes... Closed. Alexandria MN, where I proprosed to my first wife when she worked there, Open.. lol

Still go to the Minneapolis Kmart for their Pharmacy. Still cheaper than Target/CVS and Walmart and Walgreens and the Regular CVS stores.

#4327496 - 01/10/17 04:51 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
knightgames Offline
Hotshot
knightgames  Offline
Hotshot

MA
KMART screwed up with Antonini back in 89 90. He stopped doing whatever KMART was successful at doing for better stocks. Some of their best money makers were the deli and the cafeterias. After 1992? Gone. They lost the war with Walmart regarding American made. Walmart had that SMILEY faced wrapped in the red white and blue, proclaiming American made only. KMART couldn't keep up with exported goods and their stock plummeted. They then were bought out by Sears. That has only extended the death of both entities. Once internet purchasing became reliable the death knell for KMART SEARS was rung.

Sadly, even Walmart stopped selling American made only.

#4327497 - 01/10/17 05:01 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
I really miss the old days, eating at Woolworths and Walgreens

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4327542 - 01/10/17 11:59 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: TerribleTwo]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
All stores die.
Definitely not Apple stores. At least not yet.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4327543 - 01/10/17 12:02 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: Tarnsman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Tarnsman
I know rationally speaking it is about those things, but to me its about the end of the broad American middle class. When I was growing up, every one of those stores were packed.

I think that's a perfectly normal visceral reaction. The irony is that many of these retailers have gone under not because of globalization but because other US-based retailers ate their lunch. Walmart and Target are really wiping the floor of the competition.

And of course you can't discount e-commerce. There's no doubt that many consumers have largely stopped shopping at brick and mortar stores because of the convenience of online shopping. I'm one of those consumers.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4327556 - 01/10/17 12:49 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Lately I've been buying from Amazon. Amazon prime membership - the boys order books from them for their studies and i order things plus stream whatever movies look interesting from their selection.

Sure beats the crowds & traffic at the mall around Christmas time

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4327563 - 01/10/17 01:09 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
2 hour Amazon delivery on some items. Amazing

#4327588 - 01/10/17 02:50 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Sears was killed by its stupid CEO

The man has sold off one of the most important brands sears held, the craftsman tool brand. Those tools don't cost a lot of money to make yet they have huge brand power and recognition, they could have kept it in the "consumer monopoly" zone. The CEO is an idiot.

Perhaps he is not an idiot, but just evil, as it is likely that he is driving it into the ground for his own personal gain - I wouldn't be surprised if he is shorting or will short his stock just before the company goes under, or some other kind of scheme that will profit only him and a few cronies.

Not a good guy

#4327599 - 01/10/17 03:23 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
It's all about the stock value now and not enough about what it will be in a few years.

Nowadays about the only thing made in America at Walmart is the food, and even there it's only about half. Grapes from Chile, bananas from Mexico, and so on and so on...

The reason why is easy...people valued cheap prices over quality. The stores that sold the items for less got the business, forcing the competition to either lower their prices (by getting cheaper goods) or fold.

Although Target and Walmart are the two busiest stores in my area, they're still not what they were. Both opened about 15 years ago to much fanfare with like 2 dozen checkout lines each. Not counting holiday sales, on average when you go in there now it's amazing to see more than 6 lines open, even on "busy" days. The massive parking lots are usually about 3/4 empty.

Now there are some mitigating circumstances. People can order stuff online very easily now, even from Target and Walmart (if you didn't know, both stores sell items online you can't get in their stores because of low volume). Also, while on the one hand people lament stuff being cheaper and not made to last, that doesn't really apply to everything.

How often do you buy furniture? How long do you keep it? How often are you buying a TV or computer or refrigerator or lamp or clothing? There isn't a lot of new features to drive us to keep buying these things if we have one that works.
True, repairmen are a dying breed as stuff is often tossed instead of fixed, but usually that stuff lasts longer before it breaks. Instead of getting your TV fixed every 3 or so years, you keep it 10 and then toss it.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4327600 - 01/10/17 03:28 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Just look at what you can order from Walmart online. They use a re-seller.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ford-Performa...=aff#about-item

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4327602 - 01/10/17 03:36 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The advent of e-commerce is no doubt the number one factor behind the decline of the brick and mortar stores. That's why the brick & mortar retailers were pushing so hard for States to start levying sales tax on online sales so that they would have a better chance of competing.

#4327618 - 01/10/17 04:39 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
there are plenty of american companies which did not whore themselves out or ship off their entire labor division overseas.

look at some of the big companies in warren buffett's portfolio

bad leadership kills companies

#4327625 - 01/10/17 04:52 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Here we don't have many e-shops, not even Amazon smile
The two main ones we have are Cool Blue and the other is Bol.com, Cool Blue has just started advertising physical retail shops as well as their online retail.

Most banks here do not have the bank debit cards enabled for online transactions, and we have to go through an online bank transfer system based on the paper system, these have been standardised across all banks and the forms are identical.

We are not allowed to make a cash transaction for more than 999 once you get to 1000 it has to be done with the bank card, this is to eliminate "black market" transactions wink

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4327812 - 01/11/17 05:45 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: Warbirds]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Warbirds
Amazon, the great killer of brick and morter stores.

Yep, people may go to the brick and mortar store to look at an item but they will then go online to buy it for the cheaper price.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4327846 - 01/11/17 11:55 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Yep, people may go to the brick and mortar store to look at an item but they will then go online to buy it for the cheaper price.

Wheels
They call that the "Best Buy Effect". biggrin

#4327881 - 01/11/17 02:46 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If it's something that has to be delivered anyway, why not?

If it's something I can carry home from the store with me, I won't bother unless the online price is significantly lower. By that I mean it has to be at least $10 on cheap items and $100+ on expensive stuff.
I've had too many instances of poor packaging/shipping resulting in something in less than stellar condition being delivered while I can see in the store the condition it's in.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4328026 - 01/12/17 01:49 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: Falstar]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Falstar
Who's going to sell the Craftsman trade marked things now (Kmart sold Craftsman stuff for a few years too)?

Stanley bought Black & Decker a couple of years ago to become Stanley Black & Decker

They also own Proto, Porter Cable, Vidmar, CribMaster, DeWalt, Bostitch, Mac Tools, Irwin, and some others.

3 days ago Stanley Black & Decker made a deal to pay $525 million when the transaction closes, which is expected to occur by year-end, and an additional $250 million at the end of the third year after closing. Sears will also collect a percentage of new Craftsman sales for 15 years after the deal closes. The transaction is now valued at $900 million.

Thanks for that! Wow, Stanley was always the crappiest tools so they just went out and bought all of the good tool companies...lol.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4328027 - 01/12/17 01:55 AM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted By: Falstar

Thanks for that! Wow, Stanley was always the crappiest tools so they just went out and bought all of the good tool companies...lol.

Yep, it's the American way. If you can't beat them, buy them, then liquidate them.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4328099 - 01/12/17 02:28 PM Re: The death of Sears & Kmart [Re: LukeFF]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Bill Gates became one of the world's richest men doing that.

The Jedi Master

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.