Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 440 of 442 1 2 438 439 440 441 442
#4318390 - 12/08/16 05:20 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart ***** [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
Keep in mind that, historically speaking, the final awards and gongs wouldn't be presented until some time in mid-January, at least as far as the British Army and the RAF are concerned.

It also happened among the Central Powers that some gongs were awarded only after the war, for example Iron Crosses in Germany. And in Austria, people were still receiving awards in the 1930's for their actions in the Great War.

But some awards, like the Prussian PLM, had to be confirmed by the ruling monarch, and of course Kaiser Bill was no longer available after November 9. Bad luck if your application was still stuck in some bureaucrat's office on that date. smile

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4318992 - 12/11/16 11:40 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Yes, a lot of members stopped posting for a pilot who was dead and just carried on with the next guy. Then it is easy to see what happened. Lou, if you wish I can send you the excel spread sheet of ALL the captures I received. There is about 1120 of them! I normally sort the whole lot by capture date and then delete those of more than a month old. Then I remove the duplicates just keeping the latest ones for each pilot. One has to keep an eye out because one userid can have more than one pilot in the same month, normally with one dead one - but not always.

If any user wishes to get their own individual Excel sheet I can do that and put it on dropbox. Let me know if you want that.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4326592 - 01/07/17 11:51 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

ENGLAND AND THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH

His Majesty King George V hereby confers the following honours.

By decree, the following individual is hereby presented the Distinguished Flying Cross:

Pursuant to Army Order 204, dated 6 July 1916, the following individual is hereby presented the Wounded Stripe:

By Royal authorization, the following individuals are to be recognized for their faithful service by award of both the British War Medal and the Allied Victory Medal:

Lt. Colonel Artemus Burroughs
Major Jack Cairns
Major Albert Ward
Major Cadogan West
Lieutenant David Daggerty
2nd Lieutenant George Godwin

A grateful people thank you all for your heroic service and loyalty.

*************************************************************************************************************************
*************************************************************************************************************************

GERMANY

As prescribed by official promulgation the following individual is to be presented, and allowed to wear, the Silber Verwundetenabzeichen for wounds suffered during the War

The German people thank you for your sacrifice.

THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

President Woodrow Wilson is proud to present the Allied Victory Medal to the following individuls:

Lt. Colonel Abner Coleman
2nd Lieutenant Yancy Derringer

The people of the United States are sincerely grateful for your brave service. God Bless America.

Folks, here is the final chart for those who were still alive and fighting by the end of the conflict:

(right-click on image and open in new window to view it full size)

Well done Gentleman!

And last but most certainly not least, posted below are the names of the many brave pilots who were either killed in action or are still missing and presumed dead. It is a sobering tally

(right-click on image and open in new window to view it full size)

This was a long, hard-fought campaign and it illustrated just how thin the odds were for the pilots and aircrews to survive the Great War in the Air. We should again offer our utmost respect to those who actually had to do it.

Now on to bigger and grander things!

#4326593 - 01/07/17 12:06 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Thank you for your hard work as the Gong Fairy of this DID campaign, Lou! The artwork is once again stellar. I'm sure we all greatly appreciate your efforts. The campaign wouldn't have been the same without your awards. smile

Now, when can we start the next one? biggrin

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

#4326667 - 01/07/17 05:23 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Maeran Offline
Maeran  Offline

UK
salute

Wonderful! I have been waiting with eager anticipation for the final scores. Thankyou Lou and Jim for your work on the final scores.

And a round of applause for Olham for bring us this great campaign.

I always wanted to know what happened to Guenther Mahlow. Of course he must have survived, but where did fate take him?

#4326689 - 01/07/17 06:26 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Great stuff gentlemen! Thank you for all your hard work.

Deacon

#4326726 - 01/07/17 09:33 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hasse, you aptly wrapped up our thanks to Lou. His contributions to this campaign truly added significant realism and immersion.

A personal thanks to you Lou, and I raise my glass to all who participated for all their contributions.

Well done!

Cheers cheers

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4326728 - 01/07/17 09:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Maeran]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Originally Posted By: Maeran
salute

Wonderful! I have been waiting with eager anticipation for the final scores. Thankyou Lou and Jim for your work on the final scores.

I always wanted to know what happened to Guenther Mahlow. Of course he must have survived, but where did fate take him?

thumbsup +1

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4326748 - 01/07/17 10:44 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Maeran]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
salute

Well, not to steal this thread, but one of Mahlow's relatives is interred at Roucourt in the soon to be release Roucourt Mod. If you look closely while flying the field, you may just find his headstone. biggrin It's the least I could do in payment for all the historical input Olham gave me as an aid to developing the aerodrome.

Cheers

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 01/07/17 10:45 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4326823 - 01/08/17 09:32 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
well done everyone and big thanks to all those that ran this.
Whats next?

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4326825 - 01/08/17 09:43 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Olham Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Olham  Offline
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot

...a round of applause for Olham for bring us this great campaign.

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
Well, not to steal this thread, but one of Mahlow's relatives is interred at Roucourt in the soon to be release Roucourt Mod.
If you look closely while flying the field, you may just find his headstone. biggrin
It's the least I could do in payment for all the historical input Olham gave me as an aid to developing the aerodrome.

Flying that low over Roucourt cemetery would probably make you another resident there!
Thank you, Maeran, and thank you Robert, for all the patience you had with me!

Jim - thanks a lot for the tireless collecting and posting of the result charts.
Without your contrbution it would have been too hard a calculation-job!

Great job, Lou - thank you for carrying this all into the finals; good job!

As for Hasse's request: feel free to create another DiD Campaign, gentlemen.

Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
#4326883 - 01/08/17 03:36 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Lou, thank you not only for these wonderful gongs, but for your continuing support of WOFF and the WOFF community. Kudos, too, to Jim Attrill. The amount of attention his role demanded is not to be forgotten. Olham, thank you for all your work. Lou's recognition is well deserved and we all echo it, I'm sure.

I really loved this DiD campaign. Perhaps it was because it evolved into a real club of excellent storytellers who immersed themselves into their characters and into the period in a way that brought that long-lost generation and their world to life.

I for one would do anything it took (save computer skills for I have none) to start a new "storytellers' campaign." What ideas do the rest have? There is probably no need to change any of Olham's rules.

#4327103 - 01/09/17 08:53 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I'm willing to start a new DID any time. And I can think of only one change to the rules - being able to start as an officer for improved storytelling possibilities.

#4327150 - 01/09/17 01:22 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
JimAttrill Offline
JimAttrill  Offline

Johannesburg, South Africa
Here is a new URL to capture your flights. I presume you will start in August 1914 like last time, or maybe it would be better to start on today's date but in 1915 ie 9 Jan 1915. The aircraft are better in 1915 I reckon.

LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
#4327169 - 01/09/17 02:16 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

If someone starts a new DID, I'm in!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4327482 - 01/10/17 03:11 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Hasse]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hasse
I'm willing to start a new DID any time. And I can think of only one change to the rules - being able to start as an officer for improved storytelling possibilities.

Hasse, my last pilot (Cairns) began as a sergeant in-game in accordance with the rules, but in my stories I wrote of him as a second lieutenant from the beginning. I kept writing of him as a 2LT until he was promoted Lt in the game. It got me out of the rut of writing another "working class boy gets a commission" story, and the longer period as a 2Lt was more accurate historically.

I used the same idea in writing of his squadron mates. The flight commanders were always Captains in my stories, regardless of their in-game rank. When the game named a new pilot as a sergeant, I checked their backgrounds (at least for HAs). If they were NCO pilots in real life, I wrote of them as sergeants, but if they were officers I wrote of them as second lieutenants. Most non-HA pilots were written of as 2Lts. I referred to them as sergeants only if the squadron historically had a number of NCO pilots.

Occasionally the game will appoint a Major. I would write of that pilot as a captain unless he was the historical Squadron Leader.

I took some other liberties in the stories. Occasionally I changed the birthplace of non-HA characters, since the in-game biographies for British pilots drastically under-represent the pilots from the Dominions. So I'd create the odd Canadian or Austrialian, and in one case a Newfoundlander.

#4327483 - 01/10/17 03:13 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Anyone up for a February 1 start, with a 1 Feb 1916 campaign start?

#4327517 - 01/10/17 09:30 AM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

Raine, I suppose that's a good solution to the "from rags to riches" storytelling problem. I usually fly for Germany, and historically they did have quite a few NCO pilots also in frontline units, unlike the British. But I don't want all of my pilots to go through the same routine of starting as an NCO and then suddenly getting a promotion to a "Temporary Gentleman". smile

Count me in for a February 1 start! I already have a couple of tentative ideas for my new pilot.

#4327557 - 01/10/17 12:59 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I'd start again but we already have a "centenury" campaign going.
I think we all gota sit down and perhaps agree to run just one for the "Whole" Communtiy.
I can't fly two campaigns and the nice little RIR one too.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4327565 - 01/10/17 01:13 PM Re: The "DiD Campaign Revival" - Intro, Rules, Reports & Records Chart [Re: Olham]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

For what it's worth, if another DID is going to be started, it would be a nice change of pace to start it as early as WOFF allows which, if memory serves, is very early 1915. Just my feelings on it.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Page 440 of 442 1 2 438 439 440 441 442

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again