Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4325230 - 01/02/17 05:24 AM Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . .  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I am new to this and I only finished one data delivery mission (I think). But if I am a newbie and am interested in these two things: a docking computer and mining technology (like mining droids), what would I do? I know this is not the sexy path of success that involves combat, but then I am different. smile I am asking how to get a docking computer and mining equipment. Please don't hate me.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4325233 - 01/02/17 06:31 AM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
The Nephilim Online tunes
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Online Tunes
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Hey what is cool about this game is you can do almost anything you want.. I don't think you can mine for droids but you can do trading If you get a Cobra to start..

To get a Docking computer you need to goto Outfitting and buy one there.. if the dock does not have 1 you need to locate a Dock that does..

Check Inara.cs website to find things like items and commodities..

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#4325234 - 01/02/17 07:01 AM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Forget the docking computer. Damned thing stupid enough to realize a huge floating ship in front of the slot and will happily plow you into it repeatedly as you amass fines for reckless flying.

As a fellow miner. you will need the following:

Multi slotted refineries, do not go for the cheap 2 bins refineries as you will regret ignoring several precious metals as you struggle to fill only two bins. Gold and platinum sells for a high price but difficult to find in rich veins while mid-range materials fills your hold much faster. Suggest you go looking for a 3C as it is cheap with six bins.

Mining laser, nuff said.

Prospector limpet controller, why ask to spend money on drones when you can mine alone? Drones are cheap and pay back with interest when doubling the amount of material you can get from asteroids with rich veins.

Collector drones, a must as you don't need to drag your ship all over to grab the broken off materials into your cargo hold.

Cargo hold, nuff said.

I suggest getting funds first for a Type 6 transport to mine as it has plenty of space, cheap, and able to fight off singular enemies when it comes down to that.
Another tip is don't get too greedy, sell off your wares repeatedly when you get around twenty tons as you'll drown yourself in booze when 60 tons of platinum explodes along with your ship.

Best place to mine easily is the hazardous mining sites located in the inner rings of the planets. Yes its full of pirates but if you fly away from the center, you'll find massive asteroids to mine without getting hassled from pirates.

#4325243 - 01/02/17 08:02 AM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Is the docking computer broken now? I loved it and it was very helpful back when I was trading!

letterboy1, mining is a good option and no shame in it at all! Given the right equipment and the right site, you may even make more per hour than those "glorious" pew-pew guys. However, as DaBBQ states, you may need a bigger ship and with it, you can fit bigger modules and bring more drones. All of that equates to more money. A Type-6 alone starts at around 1M credits... that's not much but it's a lot for a starting player. I'd offer to help you out but my sim rig is down for the moment, plus I'm not sure what's required now to transfer funds. Has ED sorted out a credit gifting system yet?

- Ice
#4325245 - 01/02/17 08:48 AM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
In the distant past the DC did manage to bump my ship a few times but it's been pretty perfect lately.

Letterboy,ditch the weapons if you want.I fly without any,just some counter-measures.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4325282 - 01/02/17 02:05 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
I have never done combat, and also mined loads of pricey metals.

The basics of mining:
1. Refinery
2. Mining laser
3. Cargo space

In a small ship, beam the mining laser on an asteroid and you'll see little chunks breaking loose and floating. Open the cargo scoop, and observe that the central-left HUD turns into an alignment display for your cargo hatch.

Now, target a piece of mined materials (you must target, I don't think you can scoop anything otherwise), and you'll see a graphic depiction on that HUD display. Align it with the central crosshairs, and move forward slowly until it's captured.

The refinery will sort the materials as best it can. When it gets full, dump out the stuff you aren't looking for.

When you've collected 100% of any material, the refinery will wrap it in a cargo canister, and store it in your cargo hold. Yours to sell for 100% profit!

NOTE ABOUT ASTERIODS: Asteroid ring types are Metallic (best), Metal Rich (good), rocky (ok), and ice (currently poor).

Each ring has a "quality" rating: Pristine Reserves (best), Major Reserves (good), Common Reserves (ok), Low (poor), Depleted (worst).

Pristine Metallic rings/asteroids are where the big money hides. Platinum, Palladium, Painite, all up to 50% (or more) per collected piece. These rings are rare in the bubble of occupied space. Metal rich are good, and a great place to start. I'd avoid ice mining until they get it finalized (it's new and still rough).

Happy mining!

EDIT: A good starter resource (though a touch out of date in a few places) on many things in Elite:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki

Last edited by adlabs6; 01/02/17 02:08 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4325338 - 01/02/17 05:34 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Why scoop when you can have collector limpets?

- Ice
#4325345 - 01/02/17 06:14 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
True, but I didn't have time to check whether those could be fit in a small ship like the Sidewinder and still have room for the critical modules.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4325361 - 01/02/17 07:18 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

It'll fit in a Cobra.

- Ice
#4325403 - 01/02/17 10:45 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Great advice, guys! I'm obviously still in a beginner's Sidewinder so I am taking on transport missions to build up funds and also because navigation and docking are still new. Also, simple things such as arriving and trying to figure out how to complete my mission - found some info that said go into the bulletin board and finish your assignment except I didn't know what that was.

Anyway, what I'm mainly getting here is to build up funds and get a class 6 - okay "Type 6" - (but Class 6 is the military name for a liquor store and it somehow suites me) biggrin . And when getting that, pay attention to cargo space and associated equipment such as mining lasers and collector droids.

Anyway, I'll be happy to mine for sure as it will still offer some combat opportunities if I want, but mostly I find it relaxing. My real combat fix comes from WW2 flight sims, so this is like fishing for me. Maybe override the in-game music with something from my personal playlists and just chill. As a matter of fact, mining was actually my choice in EVE Online, but I love the Solo option in Elite because I'm mostly a single player kind of gamer.

Guys, if I can get past the beginner's blues and establish myself I think papa's found a brand new bag! smile

#4325407 - 01/02/17 11:02 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: - Ice]  
bailout Offline
bailout  Offline

Devon
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Is the docking computer broken now? I loved it and it was very helpful back when I was trading!

I found it depended on the ship. I put one on my Clipper when I first got it and was doing ABA trading as it saved time and it never gave me any problems. However, on my T9 it would often overfly the slot and head for the cage or side of station if I didn't take back control.

leterboy1 - I would agree with the posters who told you to forget getting a docking computer. If you can't dock a sidewinder or other small ship manually then you need the practise biggrin

Also I would strongly advice you to stick with the stock sidewinder for a while. ED isn't as complex as a study sim but there is still a lot to learn just to operate your ship. Dying in a sidewinder is cheap so you can make mistakes and not worry about it.

In a week or two check out the Community Goals. FD set up new ones on Thursday afternoons. See previous ones here http://inara.cz/galaxy-communitygoals A trade CG will earn you 700k - 1m credits for delivering 1t of goods. They are a great way of earning money as a noob.

Make sure you learn how to respond to being interdicted before you buy an expensive ship or start carrying lots of cargo.

Don't get too caught up in grinding credits for bigger and better ships. You can do anything in ED in the smaller ships so just do what you want to and let the money come to you. Otherwise you will end up as one of those people who either complain about the grind or just stop playing when they have bought the biggest ships.

#4325594 - 01/03/17 06:22 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: bailout]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bailout
stop playing when they have bought the biggest ships.

Sounds like me smile

Interesting to note how the docking computer behaves differently based on ship.... however, I used it exclusively on my T9 and later on my Anaconda with no issues. They must've fiddled with the docking computer? Maybe it just goes berserk depending on which station you're in? I normally fly to get into position in the front area of the station, then engage the DC... heck, I even use it on my Asp on Robigo runs, fly manual just before the slot, let it take over once in the slot; I find it's quicker than I am at finding, rotating, and docking the ship once inside the station.

- Ice
#4325608 - 01/03/17 06:41 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: bailout]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: bailout

Don't get too caught up in grinding credits for bigger and better ships. You can do anything in ED in the smaller ships so just do what you want to and let the money come to you. Otherwise you will end up as one of those people who either complain about the grind or just stop playing when they have bought the biggest ships.

True. Do what's fun. Money happens along the way.

#4325629 - 01/03/17 07:00 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Lies, lies, all lies!! Stop lying to the new guy!

Money **CAN** buy happiness. Were you ever sad when you upgraded to a new, shiny, bigger ship? My point exactly. Were you ever sad when you finally bought those A-rated modules and had your ship outfitted exactly as you wanted it? Ding ding ding ding! Two points! Were you ever sad when you lost a ship, modules and cargo included, then looked at your credit balance and realized that you could buy 20 more of those babies and not even break a sweat? Boom!! -Ice goess three for three!! biggrin

behindcouch

- Ice
#4325645 - 01/03/17 07:31 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: - Ice]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Lies, lies, all lies!! Stop lying to the new guy!

Money **CAN** buy happiness. Were you ever sad when you upgraded to a new, shiny, bigger ship? My point exactly. Were you ever sad when you finally bought those A-rated modules and had your ship outfitted exactly as you wanted it? Ding ding ding ding! Two points! Were you ever sad when you lost a ship, modules and cargo included, then looked at your credit balance and realized that you could buy 20 more of those babies and not even break a sweat? Boom!! -Ice goess three for three!! biggrin

behindcouch

biggrin Good points.

I must admit, that I was disappointed a bit in the cockpit of the Anaconda and Clipper. I sold both after a brief trial.

Still, even as a billionaire, I fly my Cobra Mk3 more than any ship. Viper Mk4 is also an ace for my play.

#4325675 - 01/03/17 09:17 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I think I'll read up on navigation next because even that can be challenging to a noob like me. I got a mission to a station that didn't appear on my left side menu and already I was lost. I think I found it in the galactic map but could't figure out how to lock it in.

#4325694 - 01/03/17 10:20 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
When you hover on something on the Galaxy/System maps, you'll see a pop-up menu. The zigzag line is "plot route". The map pin will focus that object on the HUD.

Note that a plotted course may not be navigable. You'll need to ensure you've got enough fuel. The plotted route will give you a hint, the plotted route line will be solid as long as you *should* have enough fuel. If the line is dotted/dashed, then the plotter thinks you will not have enough fuel (and you probably won't).

So you'll have to make arrangements for fuel. Either a fuel scoop (and an appropriate star type: O, B, A, F, G, K, M) or else stop in a station to refuel (not all outposts have refueling... double check!)

#4325702 - 01/03/17 11:08 PM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Just don't give up if you find yourself overwhelmed by what to do.I nearly quit this game as a noobie because I was totally lost at times.I asked many,many questions and the good folks here put me right.

TIP: Map a key to 75% throttle. When in Super-Cruise and you are 10-12 secs from destination hit the key and you will arrive safely,no embarrassing over-shoots.

TIP: Map a key to "Target Next System In Route".That way if you decide to stop and explore a system on the way to your final destination you just press that key and can then jump out.Saves going into the map system and can be a boon if you need to exit the system in a hurry.

Last edited by Chucky; 01/03/17 11:15 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4325749 - 01/04/17 02:58 AM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Gee, you would think that if I find my destination the computer would Google-Map it the rest of the way. Hitting "Plot Route" doesn't give me a response except Plot Failed or something like that.

Unless I'm mistaken, the range on a default Sidewinder is about 5 Light Years. The distances on this map are 5 or six times that much to any nearby systems. I saw a post on the forums where a dude was recommending what to do as a noob to start making money and he said to go to LH 3447, Eravate, Trvithick Dock. LH 3447 is so far away (from Eranin) I don't think I'd ever make it there in my real lifetime. What am I not getting here?

At my current location I can only get missions that are too far away.

#4325752 - 01/04/17 03:07 AM Re: Okay, I know this is no going to make me look cool, but . . . [Re: letterboy1]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Those systems are the *last* place I'd go, especially in Open play.

That said, you can make good cash nearly anywhere in the "bubble", IMO. There is no real magic area.

And yes, the jump range on your Sidewinder is short to begin with, but that's OK. Did you start with the Sidewinder that included the SRV buggy? On my CMDR career reset (I reset on purpose to enjoy the early phase of gameplay again), I used the SRV to do surface salvage missions all within just a 10 or 20 kilometers of my starting base. Earned a good chunk of cash doing that.

I think I (re)started at Asellus Primus, in a little surface base in a crater, IIRC.

If you want to strike it out in space, then just jump between systems you can reach, doing some non-mission trade. Buy/sell on the Commodities markets and try to earn a profit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.