Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4324427 - 12/30/16 12:31 AM No Bombing missions in WOFF UE?  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
So far I've been playing WOFF UE campaigns mostly with the British RNAS-8 flying the Stutter 1/2 and the American 166th Bombing squadron flying the DH-4 but so far I've yet to see a single bombing mission or resuming all missions that I get with both squadrons and aircraft are recon or artillery spotting missions.

Then I decided to take a deeper look at the Workshops options and found the Historical Mission Types which was "ON" and then I set them to "OFF" with the hope that this would solve my problem. However this unfortunately didn't solve my problem and still only get recon or artillery spotting mission types while playing with the American 166th Bombing squadron.

Therefore, I'm asking here for help in order to "solve" this issue. For me getting bombing missions would make the game much more interesting for me, specially when flying with bomber type aircraft such as the DH-4.

Thanks in advance for replies...

#4324473 - 12/30/16 03:02 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Raine Online content
Raine  Online Content

New Brunswick, Canada
You will definitely get bombing missions. With historical missions on, you may not see them if the squadron you are with was historically assigned to reconnaissance or spotting duty. The frequency of bombing missions will increase as the war goes on.

Even scouts will get ground attack missions, although the likelihood increases if you are flying an aircraft that was favoured for "low jobs" like the DH5 or Camel.

Also, you can adjust your loadout to include bombs on any aircraft capable of carrying them. If you are the leader you can then search for and destroy targets of opportunity along your route.

#4324586 - 12/30/16 01:53 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: Raine]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Raine
With historical missions on, you may not see them if the squadron you are with was historically assigned to reconnaissance or spotting duty. The frequency of bombing missions will increase as the war goes on.

Yes, I imagined that the lack of bombing missions in WOFF UE could be due to the Historical Missions option being set to "ON".
However and in case you missed that my first post, I changed this option (Historical Missions) to "OFF" and I didn't notice any changes at all.

Also yes, we should get more bombing missions towards the end of the war and that's why I played with the American 166th Bombing squadron (whose specialty seems to be Bombing) which starts in August 1918 (which is near the end of the war) and even with the Historical Missions option set to "OFF" I simply can't get any Bombing mission.

#4324784 - 12/31/16 12:16 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
I did some further tests about this situation and I'm starting to believe that there's probably a bug/issue here.

What I did was the following:

First, I have the Historical Missions option set to "OFF". In theory this should help spawning bombing missions even if the recon/bombing squadron that I'm playing with didn't or wasn't supposed to perform such missions in a given time/period.
Next, I created a pilot with some different British and American squadrons flying the either the DH4, Fe2B or the Re8.
After this I accessed the mission briefing several times, either by exiting the briefing and the campaign screen altogether and returning back (and thus generating new missions) and also by advancing the campaign (by flight, day and even month) which also generates new missions and I did this countless times but not even in a single occasion a bombing mission was ever created/spawned!

Can someone confirm my findings or do I have to activate/deactivate some option that I'm unaware of?

Oh and by the way, I playing WOFF UE patched to version 4.11

#4324804 - 12/31/16 02:34 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Hi ricnunes, I played around with the 166th for one week and only received recon and spotting missions.

Will experiment more tomorrow.

To my knowledge - no there should be nothing you have to activate/deactivate.
I've not flown a bomber, perhaps since WOFF 2.
I know others have while testing the bomb sight mod.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4324807 - 12/31/16 02:53 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
There definitely are bombing missions in WOFF UE. I'm running a career in Sept. 1916 with 70 RFC in a Strutter and we're bombing left and right. My suggestion is to create a career with this outfit and see if you get any bombing missions to eliminate any technical issues.
I've looked at the enlistment page for the 166th Aero and what stood out for me is that their attitude is defensive all the way to Armistice. Perhaps this is why WOFF is not generating offensive missions? No matter if the historic missions are on or off. Just a guess, since 166th did fly bombing sorties according to Wikipedia. All 13 of them.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4324843 - 12/31/16 12:41 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Another way to approach having an historically accurate bombing campaign on a day-by-day, mission-by-mission basis is to use JJJ65's outstanding Mission Editor facility. With this you can go in and adjust the parameters of any and all missions you choose, allowing you to build them along historically documented lines. IMHO this is one of the best mods ever to come along for WOFF, and that's saying something as there are a lot of great ones out there.

I believe this is the most recent link for the mod and for HarryH's well-written tutorial:

JJJ65's Mission Editor

I highly recommend you give it a try.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4324880 - 12/31/16 02:59 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
@Stache

Thanks for the giving a try. I'll be waiting for more findings on your part and also thanks for the info about WOFF UE options.

@Fullofit

Thanks for the heads up, as soon as possible I'll try running a career in Sept. 1916 with 70 RFC flying the Strutter.
Regarding the 166th Bombing squadron (note the name "Bombing" on that squadron's name) I believe that even having a "defensive role" (whatever that might be for a Bomber squadron) and specially with the Historical Missions set to "OFF" that bombing missions should spawn and like you said even with the Historical Missions set to "ON" bombing missions should still spawn with the 166th.

@RAF_Louvert

Thanks for the heads up, that mission editor certainly looks great! I intend to give it a try once I sort out (or find the reason of) this issue.

#4324943 - 12/31/16 07:16 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: Fullofit]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Fullofit
There definitely are bombing missions in WOFF UE. I'm running a career in Sept. 1916 with 70 RFC in a Strutter and we're bombing left and right. My suggestion is to create a career with this outfit and see if you get any bombing missions to eliminate any technical issues.
I've looked at the enlistment page for the 166th Aero and what stood out for me is that their attitude is defensive all the way to Armistice. Perhaps this is why WOFF is not generating offensive missions? No matter if the historic missions are on or off. Just a guess, since 166th did fly bombing sorties according to Wikipedia. All 13 of them.

Ok, I did some extensive tests running a career in Sept. 1916 with 70 RFC flying with the Strutter and I came up with the exact same results - NO bombing missions ever spawned to me.

The test again involved a combination of getting in and out from the briefing and campaign screens several and countless times (thus forcing the generation of new missions) as well as advancing the campaign manually several and countless times either by flight, day and week and again the result was the same frown

Really, I believe I'm running out of ideas for further tests. But in the meanwhile I'll see what I can come up in terms of ideas for future testing...

#4324956 - 12/31/16 08:38 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

ricnunes, if others are seeing bombing missions OK, then it suggests your install is broken. Remove all mods,remove WOFF UE and reinstall using the FAQ section 17.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4324959 - 12/31/16 08:45 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
I agree with Pol. There probably is something weird with the install. Try a fresh one with no mods.
As a side note, I've enlisted in 166th to see if I can get any bombing missions. I only had patience for the first 14 days, so no definitive conclusions, but was assigned only arty spotting and recon missions.

#4324973 - 12/31/16 09:49 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
I doubt it is bad installation - it would bring some kind of errors. IMHO, it can be squad's defensive attitude generating only defensive recon and arty spotting missions. But, of course, I may be wrong.

#4324976 - 12/31/16 09:58 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Another way to approach having an historically accurate bombing campaign on a day-by-day, mission-by-mission basis is to use JJJ65's outstanding Mission Editor facility. With this you can go in and adjust the parameters of any and all missions you choose, allowing you to build them along historically documented lines. IMHO this is one of the best mods ever to come along for WOFF, and that's saying something as there are a lot of great ones out there.

I believe this is the most recent link for the mod and for HarryH's well-written tutorial:

JJJ65's Mission Editor

I highly recommend you give it a try.

Thank you, Lou, for such compliment. It is even more encouraging to listen it from WOFF's modding hero as you are.

BTW, happy new year to every WOFFer here cheers.

#4324998 - 01/01/17 12:11 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Lanzfeld Offline
Lanzfeld  Offline

About bombing.....
Not to steal the thread but I was just assigned my first bombing mission in a morane. I noticed that my wing man bomb from altitude and miss horribly. Do you guys get down on the deck to bomb or do you just fly to the target drop the bombs, miss and go home?

I select a target and hit the "A" Key so my wing man attack different ground targets. But they never hit.

#4325005 - 01/01/17 01:41 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Are you using the bombsite mod ???

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4325012 - 01/01/17 02:06 AM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Lanzfeld Offline
Lanzfeld  Offline

No...not one on morane

#4325277 - 01/02/17 01:48 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: Polovski]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted By: Polovski
ricnunes, if others are seeing bombing missions OK, then it suggests your install is broken. Remove all mods,remove WOFF UE and reinstall using the FAQ section 17.

I never installed any mods in WOFF so my WOFF installation was always unmodded and as such I followed your advise of reinstalling WOFF using FAQ section 17 and after this I run the same/similar sequence of tests as described by me before using a British pilot from the RFC 70 starting from September 1916 and flying the Stutter 1/2 and an another pilot this one American from the 166th Aero (Bombardment squadron) starting from the beginning (August 1918) and flying the DH4 and my finding were exactly the same - Or resuming, no Bombing mission ever spawned.

Regarding other players reporting here that bombing missions do spawn, I must also remind that other players seem to confirm my findings as well.
I can't speak for other players/posters here but it seems to me that by reading the posts from players that "confirm" the spawning of bombing missions are either speaking of careers/campaigns with single seat scouts such as the DH5 (which I haven't played with so far in WOFF UE - so I can't confirm these findings with such type of aircraft) or it seems they are talking about the past - perhaps a previous version of WOFF UE or even WOFF 3? For example I remember that I never had this problem with WOFF1.

I would also like to mention Stache and Fullofit where the later even seems to agree with you that there could be a problem with my installation but the fact is that both still haven't had any bombing missions spawned to them while flying with the 166th Aero.
In particular I find Fullofit's finding (and screenshot posting) very interesting - While he's clearly cautions about drawing a conclusion here (which is understandable) I believe that this by itself is already an indication that something isn't probably quite right here. I would say that in 14 (fourteen) missions that at least a very few bombing missions (perhaps a couple or even more) should have spawned by now.

Even if for some reason I'm mistaken and bombing missions do really spawn with Allied 2 seater aircraft, I would say that Fullofit's finding as well as mine (and as others such as Stache) at least shows that bombing missions should spawn much more often in the current version of WOFF UE with this kind of squadrons and/or aircraft (again like happened in WOFF 1 - which was the last and only version of WOFF that I played).

Anyway, I believe that this issue should at least be investigated and as such I would like to urge other members/players here to find out if Bombing missions do really spawn (or not) with Allied two (2) Seater aircraft, namely the DH4 and the Strutter 1/2 (or even other such as the Fe2b or Re8) while playing with the current version of WOFF - version 4.11 UNmodded.

#4325313 - 01/02/17 03:37 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
I am flying German two seaters (Roland CII and Aviatik CI) with almost 50 percent bombing (strike) missions in year 1916. For Entente units I do not have campaign bomber pilot.

#4325314 - 01/02/17 03:38 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Ricnunes, there are 2 separate issues here. First, it's been established that you probably will not get bombing missions in 166th because the squadron's attitude is set to defensive. Second is the actual problem that you are encountering, which is WOFF not generating bombing missions for you in any squad, as you say.
I've created a brand spanking new pilot in RAF 70 to show you that bombing missions are generated. Occurred on the 3rd day of the career (WOFF UE 4.11):

I suspect you are just unlucky and getting the "boring" missions.

May I suggest something? Create a Gotha pilot and see what kind of missions you are getting.

If you won't get bombing missions there, then there is definitely something up and that's probably something that only the Devs could answer. Good luck!

#4325319 - 01/02/17 04:19 PM Re: No Bombing missions in WOFF UE? [Re: ricnunes]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Yeah, I am not sure about the 166th, but I have an old pilot in the 8th.
Fired him up again and he did get a railyard bombing mission.

I created a new pilot in the 8th, he too eventually, got a railyard bombing mission.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM