Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#432258 - 09/20/04 01:28 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Spadeace Offline
Spadeace  Offline

Baltimore, MD USA
LOMAC is a good product. It just need someone to do some fine tuning. The game at it present state require you to micro manage all aspects of the battle.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#432259 - 09/20/04 06:16 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Played FA/18, Falcon 4.0. etc..and I can say LOMAC has the best flight model of all these sims. The feeling of flying the jet that is..

Oh yeah..the graphics => no match.

All we need is a campaign.. ;\)

Breadfan

#432260 - 09/22/04 06:29 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Steelcity_VMF257 Offline
Steelcity_VMF257  Offline

US East Coast
Keep in mind that I haven't tried the newest patch. I"m still lookin for info on what was updated.

But as hard as I tried this sim just kept letting me down. So many key aspects were either missing or not close enough to keep my flying.

I'm more of an air to air type person. And the way people were spoofing missiles was making me sick. There were no proximity explosions. And 99% of the hosted games were with all external views enabled. Add to the fact that you could beat someone down to the ground and put them into a position where they had no "E" only to have them peg the throttles and escape just annoyed me so much I just haven't bothered to look at LOMAC again.

Hopefully the patch addressed some of these issues. I see some very very nice artwork. I"ll keep lookin for that patch info and maybe I'll be surprised but I don't have my hopes up.

Asus A7N8X Dlx. 1.06 (1004 Uber/SATA)|XP1700+ OC'd to 2341mhz|512mb XMS3500
ATI AIW 9700 pro 340/310 (Currently running Cat 3.10's)|WD 120gig SE
SoundStorm|Nvidia NIC|LiteOn 52x24x52|LiteOn 16x DVD
Antec 1000 AMG LE|460 Enermax
#432261 - 09/22/04 06:46 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Uh, patch. PATCH NOW. Then talk.

Until you patch to 1.02, we're not talking about the same game.

BTW, the patch info is ... in the patch. And it's a VERY long list.

--
44th VFW
#432262 - 09/22/04 08:30 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

I printed it out, it's over 60 pages.

#432263 - 09/22/04 10:07 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Operator Offline
Operator  Offline

This thread is full of people under the delusion that LOMAC can compare to something like Janes F-15 or even Falcon 4.0.

#432264 - 09/22/04 10:47 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have been flying it, and enjoying it. Taking my time learning it, but having fun as I go. Thanks for all the help.

As for you Operator, go troll somewhere else.

#432265 - 09/22/04 11:21 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
DayGlow Offline
DayGlow  Offline

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Operator:
This thread is full of people under the delusion that LOMAC can compare to something like Janes F-15 or even Falcon 4.0.
How does switchology=simulation fidelity? Now it is part of the puzzle and F4 and JF-15/18 does an amazing job, but also part and parcel is flight dynmaics and avionics fidelity, etc. LOMAC has a very complex radar model underneath that adds a lot to the sim aspect. I have yet to see a sim that models missile dynamics and missile burn as well as the Flanker/LOMAC series.

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong...I'm not a big man." Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives
#432266 - 09/22/04 11:44 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Quote:
This thread is full of people under the delusion that LOMAC can compare to something like Janes F-15 or even Falcon 4.0
LOMAC does not need to have the same fidelity that FA18 or F4 has because it does not need it !

When flying the FA18 you are flying a fighter that has a far more complex radar - and you therefore need a clickable cockpit.

I don't miss it in LOMAC because I don't need it.

Falcon4 is a completely different sim - it is a mature game that has been around for some years and recently has been thoroughly updated - and cannot be compared to Lock-on.

#432267 - 09/26/04 03:57 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
609 Recon Offline
609 Recon  Offline

for jets I'd like something in between, not too complex, not too arcade.

sounds like Lomac might fit then.

I like to play multiplayer - I'm not sure if Lomac is more of single player game or a multiplayer oriented game?

S!
Recon
#432268 - 09/26/04 10:09 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
D-scythe Offline
D-scythe  Offline

Canada
Quote:
LOMAC does not need to have the same fidelity that FA18 or F4 has because it does not need it !

When flying the FA18 you are flying a fighter that has a far more complex radar - and you therefore need a clickable cockpit.
Far more complex radar? Heh, radars don't get a lot more complex than the air-to-air tailored AN/APG-70. While LOMAC does a good job in the physical simulation of how a radar works, it does a very poor job on simulating the APG-70.

Quote:

I don't miss it in LOMAC because I don't need it.
Missing what from JF-18? There's a plethora of things missing - you're gonna need to be a lot more specific. For example, I think any air combat sim would need the radio comms, AI and some elements of the mission builder of F/A-18 at least.

But Eagle Dynamics is a small company, so if you're expecting them to turn out a game with all the bells and whistles like Janes Combat Sims did in the 90s you'll be sadly mistaken.

#432269 - 09/27/04 02:00 AM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Stormin Offline
Stormin  Offline

Republic of Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathscythe:
Far more complex radar? Heh, radars don't get a lot more complex than the air-to-air tailored AN/APG-70. While LOMAC does a good job in the physical simulation of how a radar works, it does a very poor job on simulating the APG-70.
You need to do some research so that you know what in the hell you are talking about: The F-15C modeled in Lock On uses the APG-63 radar NOT the APG-70.

Quote:

But Eagle Dynamics is a small company, so if you're expecting them to turn out a game with all the bells and whistles like Janes Combat Sims did in the 90s you'll be sadly mistaken.
Again, you really don't know what you are saying as you know nothing about Eagle Dynamics.

Carl

#432270 - 09/27/04 02:26 AM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormin:
You need to do some research so that you know what in the hell you are talking about: The F-15C modeled in Lock On uses the APG-63 radar NOT the APG-70.
In that case you guys did a horrible job of modeling the APG-70............. \:D

Muahahaha, I friggin' love it when you come on here Stormin'. All these know it all pilot types that got all of their jet knowledge from flying on passenger airliners and from the movie Top Gun.

Remember folks, when putting on the "brakes" in an F14 you slam the throttle forward.

Stormin'

#432271 - 09/27/04 02:38 AM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Stormin Offline
Stormin  Offline

Republic of Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ruggbutt:
Remember folks, when putting on the "brakes" in an F14 you slam the throttle forward.
And remember to "shove it into overdrive..."

#432272 - 09/27/04 03:19 AM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
D-scythe Offline
D-scythe  Offline

Canada
Stormin, I'm sorry if I offended you, but it's just how I see it. To the extent of my knowledge, the F-15 modelled in LOMAC is either MSIP II or hybrid MSIP F-15C, but the bottomline is, even if it is the AN/APG-63, or -70, it doesn't model it with the fidelity that both radars deserve. Janes F-15 did a good job modelling an Eagle radar...even you have to sorta admit that the two BVR radar modes in LOMAC for the F-15C, RWS and TWS, doesn't do it justice. There's at least 5 main search modes, RWS, RGH, VCTR, VS and TWS on both the APG-63 and -70, AFAIK, as well as their associated sub-modes.

Oh, and btw, it should be the AN/APG-70. MSIP F-15C Eagles are the only Charlies with the MPCD, so far as I know, and since the MPCD is in the bottomleft of the cockpit Eagle pit in LOMAC, I think it was reasonable to assume that the APG-70 was modelled in LOMAC. The APG-70, like the MPCD, are features of the MSIP upgrade.

Quote:
Again, you really don't know what you are saying as you know nothing about Eagle Dynamics.
Wow, this coming from the guy who told me, and a lot of other people, that ED just doesn't have the resources to model things like more radio comms and accurate naval combat when I inquired about them?

Honestly, you told me everything I said. I'm not looking for a fight here, but face it, in some aspects, such as AI and avionics modelling, LOMAC cannot compare to JF-15 or F4. Yes, LOMAC has its selling points, but there's also some areas that could use improvement. For example, it would be ridiculous to compare the graphics of LOMAC to JF-15, just as it is ridiculous to compare the avionics modelling of the two games.

Quote:
All these know it all pilot types that got all of their jet knowledge from flying on passenger airliners and from the movie Top Gun
Wow, where did that come from? I was merely giving my opinion on this piece of software that I own, not teaching people how to fly. If you don't agree, or choose to pretend that LOMAC is perfect, than that is fine with me. I'd rather continue to try to make LOMAC as good as it can be, even if it means provoking the wrath of Stormin'

#432273 - 09/27/04 04:10 AM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Wags Offline
Wags  Offline

Ahwatukee, AZ. USA
The design goal of the F-15C radar system was NEVER to go to the extent of JF-15. The original design was based on a 12 month dev cycle and doing multiple aircraft, not just the Eagle. As such, the F-15C radar was a somewhat stream-lined version of the APG-63/70 that gave a good operator's feel of what's it's like to use the system and its strengths and weaknesses. Given that it ended up taking two additional years to even get this streamlined version in the game (albeit still having a few bugs at release), I believe the right choice was taken.

Can't please everyone; but given the time, design objective, personnel and resources, I think Eagle did a very good job.

As to the original question of it being arcade: sure, if you play it in easy radar mode with all the other assists on. However, without the assists, I believe the product gives a good overall reprentation of modern air combat.

-Matt

Matt Wagner
Producer, TFC/Eagle Dynamics
#432274 - 09/27/04 08:06 AM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Nice to see you posting here Wags. I spend alot of time w/LOMAC and appreciate all that you gave us. And you saved me the hassle of using a noCD "patch".

#432275 - 09/28/04 05:29 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Stormin Offline
Stormin  Offline

Republic of Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathscythe:
Stormin, I'm sorry if I offended you, but it's just how I see it.
I'm not "offended". I just don't like seeing people say things online that are totally incorrect.

Quote:

To the extent of my knowledge, the F-15 modelled in LOMAC is either MSIP II or hybrid MSIP F-15C, but the bottomline is, even if it is the AN/APG-63, or -70, it doesn't model it with the fidelity that both radars deserve. Janes F-15 did a good job modelling an Eagle radar...even you have to sorta admit that the two BVR radar modes in LOMAC for the F-15C, RWS and TWS, doesn't do it justice. There's at least 5 main search modes, RWS, RGH, VCTR, VS and TWS on both the APG-63 and -70, AFAIK, as well as their associated sub-modes.
As Wags has already stated, Lock On models a modified version of the APG-63. I totally disagree with your assessment of the RWS and TWS, particularly after the V1.02 patch. Several sub-modes were purposely left out.

Quote:

Oh, and btw, it should be the AN/APG-70.
Thanks, but I know the full designation and I also know what "AN" stands for.

Quote:

MSIP F-15C Eagles are the only Charlies with the MPCD, so far as I know, and since the MPCD is in the bottomleft of the cockpit Eagle pit in LOMAC, I think it was reasonable to assume that the APG-70 was modelled in LOMAC. The APG-70, like the MPCD, are features of the MSIP upgrade.
Lock On's F-15C does not have a Multi-Purpose Color Display in the bottom-left of the cockpit because we did not model it. There were phases in the MSIP upgrade program. MPCD and other upgrades, including data links, were not until later. We did not model those on purpose.

Quote:
Wow, this coming from the guy who told me, and a lot of other people, that ED just doesn't have the resources to model things like more radio comms and accurate naval combat when I inquired about them?

Honestly, you told me everything I said. I'm not looking for a fight here, but face it, in some aspects, such as AI and avionics modelling, LOMAC cannot compare to JF-15 or F4. Yes, LOMAC has its selling points, but there's also some areas that could use improvement. For example, it would be ridiculous to compare the graphics of LOMAC to JF-15, just as it is ridiculous to compare the avionics modelling of the two games.
You are, again, mistaken. I have stated that we did not fully model naval operations because Lock On was an air combat game. I know all about naval games having worked on many. Sure, we had limited resouces (BUDGET, MONEY, MOOLAH) but Eagle Dyanmics is very capable of creating a simulation product equal or greater to anything that was done by EA/Janes given the money and time. If you compare project budgets between what a Janes' title had and what LOMAC had then you have your answer. I have no doubt that the next sim project from Eagle will be outstanding.

I don't recall extensive modeling of naval operations in either Falcon nor in Janes' F-15, by the way.

You make the common mistake in assuming that Lock On was trying to be either a Falcon or a Janes' F-15. It was not.

Quote:
I'd rather continue to try to make LOMAC as good as it can be, even if it means provoking the wrath of Stormin'
This exchange was hardly a display of my "wrath". You're making this more than it really is. Just because I disagree with you and point out where you are incorrect doesn't mean I am "offended" or that you have conjured up my "wrath".

Carl

#432276 - 09/28/04 06:16 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
DayGlow Offline
DayGlow  Offline

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think the problem Stormin is when people talk with you, this is the image in their head

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong...I'm not a big man." Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives
#432277 - 09/28/04 07:22 PM Re: Lockon Arcade Sim?  
Stormin Offline
Stormin  Offline

Republic of Texas, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DayGlow:
I think the problem Stormin is when people talk with you, this is the image in their head

Hey, I didn't have anyone standing at attention nor did anyone drop and do push-ups. \:D

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.