Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4322589 - 12/23/16 03:40 AM Inclusive HardCore MOD  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I have not had a chance to fiddle with MODS, so I will post what I've done so far because I don't know when I'll get another chance to work on this or other MODS.

In order to make this MOD most effective, workshop settings, fuel and throttle will need to be changed.

1. Workshop settings will need to be set as below.

2. Throttle control must be limited to full on or off. You can either do it yourself or follow what's HarryH posted in another thread. Please refer to FAQ & Reference thread on how to fly each plane in WOFF.

I am a firm believer that "Most combats were conducted at full engine speed with no thought of slowing down. Air fuel mixtures were often used in an attempt to conserve fuel in route to a target/mission objective. My guess for dogfights is that full power was always used. 'High energy' manoeuvers require airspeed. Also makes you harder to hit." - source:theaerodrome.com

3. You must start with only 40% - 50% or so fuel (depending on engine type) before each mission to accurately simulate fuel consumption. It would be ideal to have the entire flights on both sides in a campaign to start this way (I can do it manually through ME, but it's a PITA).

This MOD will attempt to change a few things which may or may not be already hard coded in WOFF:
Guns/Flak
- Range of front guns has been reduced to 100 meters.
- Range of rear guns were reduced to 300 meters.
- Bullet spread has been increased slightly in both front guns and rear guns (credit goes to Bucksnort for this idea)
- Flak rate has been moderately increased with somewhat better accuracy in late war.
- Range of Ground guns have been reduced to 650 meters.

Aircraft control
- Over G stress damage will happen a few seconds sooner for both player and AI aircraft.
- AI fighters will not start to shoot beyond 100 meters.
- AI now fly closer to ground and closer to other planes during combat.
- Random engine delayed start has been reduced to 60 secs. (credit goes to Bucksnort for this idea)

Download: here

To install:
Unzip contents of the file and drop into your JSGME MOD folder and activate.

Note: I've only tested it on WOFF UE v4.12.

Compatability:
- This mod is not compatible with other mods that alter bdp files in the difficulty directory or the simulation.xml file like both of Bucksnort's MODS mentioned above.
- Do not use with my other flak MODS.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention that you should also use a limited head movement mod.

EDIT2: added fuel consumption condition. WOFF does not simulate damage from over revving or overcooling in a dive, so that is why overG damage has been modified.

EDIT3: updated file with narrower spread.

Last edited by OldHat; 02/13/17 05:15 AM. Reason: Final Version
#4322596 - 12/23/16 04:12 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

In order to validate the claim to "conserve fuel enroute to the mission", I was looking up fuel consumption and it seems that WOFF does not model it correctly. I will test further and see if the fuel load needs to be cut in half before takeoff to give your plane only 1.5 to 2 hours of flight time.

According to a post in theaerodrome

"Endurance for fighter is based on fuel consumption of the engine at full power at a specific altitude.
If you look at the the specification for an engine they give the fuel consumption at so much grams, ounces or lbs per horse power per hour.
For example the 160 Ps (hp) Mercedes D.III data sheets gives the fuel consumption @ 230 grams or 230 / 1000 =.023kg per hour per hour and the oil consumption at 20 grams per Ps(hp)
You are the designer and you want your fighter to have a two hour flight duration at full power, it will require:
Fuel
2hrs x .230kg x 160 ps = 73.6 kg fuel.
Oil
2 hr. x .02 kg x 160 = 6.4 kg. oil generally engineers use 1/10 of the fuel to determine the oil require or in the case 7.2 kg of oil.
The 150 hp Hispano-Suiza Model A engine has a fuel consumption of .52 lbs per hour hour per hp =
150 x .52 = 78 lbs.
Gasoline weighs 7.2 lbs per gallon, 78/ 7.2 = 10.83 gallons or gallons x 4.545 = liters, 10.83 x 4.545 = 49.2 liters per hour.
If the fuel tank capacity is known you can then determine the duration.
The Spad VII DATAFILE on page 24 , gives tha endurance as 1 1/2 hours, by dropping the rpm from 1450 to a cruise rpm of1300 would lower the fuel consumption, horse power and extend the length of duration.
An aside The Spad VII with the 150 hp Type 8A Hispano-Suiza was a marginal fighter aircraft, it was too heavy. The problem was solved when SPAD went to the 180 Hp Hispano-Suiza Type 8Ab engine, then it WAS a fighter!
Blue skies,
Dan-San"

EDIT: After running the SPAD VII at full throttle for 2 hours, it still had 44% fuel remaining. Therefore, I have adjusted my recommendations further in the post above.

EDIT 2: Unfortunately, after several tests, I found that adjusting mixture control in WOFF has no effect on fuel consumption. It is the same fuel consumption whether you fly full rich or 50% lean.

Last edited by OldHat; 12/23/16 04:03 PM. Reason: more comments
#4322798 - 12/23/16 10:20 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
So are you saying to just set your Auto Mixture to "ON" and forget it ???

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG32UQX 2160p G-sync
#4322799 - 12/23/16 10:22 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I just used this. Test run QM...Fokker EIV

Firing straight and level... no prob
pull the bus upwards to fire at a target and my MG's hit my own aircraft

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4322803 - 12/23/16 10:48 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

lederhosen, I almost fell off my chair laughing. That's good feedback, so, I've narrowed the spread slightly in the newer version and I hope you would consider trying it and letting me know.

PR, one other use of mixture is to cut the engine during a dive as it was done in RL... and not with blip switch.

#4322810 - 12/23/16 11:19 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
I do that by just cutting the throttle, while still using Auto Mixture.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4322830 - 12/24/16 12:15 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

That's fine how you enjoy to play the game and others will use the blip switch in a dive or a combination of both. However, if you want to fly the plane as they had done it back then there was no throttle on planes with engines of Gnome Monosoupape, Le Rhone, or Clerget. My understanding is that once you're engine was cranked, you were at full power. Then you'd either take off or use the blip switch to taxi. Or cut the engine by either the magnetos or the fuel in a prolonged dive.

one interesting comment from theaerodrome forum:

"Pilots could and did sometimes have to start the engine on their own, but it required some fancy footwork. He would have to throw the prop himself and then get into the cockpit of the moving aircraft before it picked up too much speed. This would require running away from the aeroplane to avoid the wing as it started forward, and then doubling back to get into the cockpit. He could also duck under the wing and let it pass over his head, I suppose, although that "strikes" me as rather risky. Too close to the prop if a wheel hit a bump and changed the direction of the aeroplane, and good chance of a whack on the head from the trailing edge of the wing.

This was done numerous times during the War following forced landings. If the engine was still warm, it would restart readily."

EDIT: and what I'm trying to accomplish with this MOD is to try to physically handicap the player to fly&shoot like it was recorded to have been done at that time according to my research.

#4322837 - 12/24/16 12:48 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
Monosoupape rotaries

It is often asserted that rotary engines had no carburetor and hence power could only be reduced by intermittently cutting the ignition using a "blip" switch. This was almost literally true of the "Monosoupape" (single valve) type, which took most of the air into the cylinder through the exhaust valve, which remained open for a portion of the downstroke of the piston. Thus the richness of the mixture in the cylinder could not be controlled via the crankcase intake. The "throttle" (fuel valve) of a monosoupape provided only a very limited degree of speed regulation, as opening it made the mixture too rich, while closing it made it too lean (in either case quickly stalling the engine, or damaging the cylinders). Early models featured a pioneering form of variable valve timing in an attempt to give greater control, but this caused the valves to burn and therefore it was abandoned.[5]

The only way of running a Monosoupape engine smoothly at reduced revs was with a switch that changed the normal firing sequence so that each cylinder fired only once per two or three engine revolutions, but the engine remained more or less in balance.[6] As with excessive use of the "blip" switch: running the engine on such a setting for too long resulted in large quantities of unburned fuel and oil in the exhaust, and gathering in the lower cowling, where it was a notorious fire hazard.

"Normal" rotaries

Most rotaries however, had normal inlet valves, so that the fuel (and lubricating oil) was taken into the cylinders already mixed with air - as in a normal four-stroke engine. Although a conventional carburetor, with the ability to keep the fuel/air ratio constant over a range of throttle openings, was precluded by the spinning crankcase; it was possible to adjust the air supply through a separate flap valve or "bloctube". The pilot needed to set the throttle to the desired setting (usually full open) and then adjust the fuel/air mixture to suit using a separate "fine adjustment" lever that controlled the air supply valve (in the manner of a manual choke control). Due to the rotary engine's large rotational inertia, it was possible to adjust the appropriate fuel/air mixture by trial and error without stalling it, although this varied between different types of engine, and in any case it required a good deal of practice to acquire the necessary knack. After starting the engine with a known setting that allowed it to idle, the air valve was opened until maximum engine speed was obtained.

Throttling a running engine back to reduce revs was possible by closing off the fuel valve to the required position while re-adjusting the fuel/air mixture to suit. This process was also tricky, so that throttling back, especially when landing, was often accomplished by intermittently cutting the ignition using the blip switch.

Cutting cylinders using ignition switches had the drawback of letting fuel continue to pass through the engine, oiling up the spark plugs and making smooth restarting problematic. Also, the raw oil-fuel mix could collect in the cowling. As this could cause a serious fire when the switch was released, it became common practice for part or all of the bottom of the basically circular cowling on most rotary engines to be cut away, or fitted with drainage slots.

By 1918 a Clerget handbook advised maintaining all necessary control by using the fuel and air controls, and starting and stopping the engine by turning the fuel on and off. The recommended landing procedure involved shutting off the fuel using the fuel lever, while leaving the blip switch on. The windmilling propeller made the engine continue to spin without delivering any power as the aircraft descended. It was important to leave the ignition on to allow the spark plugs to continue to spark and keep them from oiling up, so that the engine could (if all went well) be restarted simply by re-opening the fuel valve. Pilots were advised to not use an ignition cut out switch, as it would eventually damage the engine.[5]

Pilots of surviving or reproduction aircraft fitted with rotary engines still find, however, that the blip switch is useful while landing, as it provides a more reliable, quicker way to initiate power if needed, rather than risk a sudden engine stall, or the failure of a windmilling engine to restart at the worst possible moment.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4322919 - 12/24/16 08:41 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted By: OldHat
lederhosen, I almost fell off my chair laughing. That's good feedback, so, I've narrowed the spread slightly in the newer version and I hope you would consider trying it and letting me know.

PR, one other use of mixture is to cut the engine during a dive as it was done in RL... and not with blip switch.

link...can't seem to find it

#4322927 - 12/24/16 09:29 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

It should be the same as the one in the OP. I changed the file link there. I hope the link isn't broken.

Did you try to click on the word "file" under the install topic?

Last edited by OldHat; 12/24/16 09:30 AM.
#4322928 - 12/24/16 09:52 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Thanks for that info PR. So, let me try to get my head around this whole thing. Here's my understanding of how it happened.

The throttle was actually a fuel/air valve in the carburetor. The valve was attached to a lever to open or close. The valve was set by the engineers on the ground to allow the right amount of mixture to the engine when opened. The "fine adjustment" lever (small one) was used to control the amount of fuel at altitudes usually above 5,000 ft to 10,000 ft and above due to thinning air.

Starting the rotary.
Fine adjustment lever would be at max (Full Rich), magnetos turned off, propeller cranked a few times, magnetos turned on (pilot yells "contact!"), (mechanic yells "contact!") propeller cranked and engine starts. Throttle would then be opened.

Takeoff.
No throttle or fine adjustments done. Just let the plane gain speed.

en-route to destination and combat.
play with fine adjustment as needed. Pilot would look down at markings when making adjustments (not sure?)

Landing.
fine adjustment lever set to min (Full lean) and glide ...or
Blip engine.

#4322963 - 12/24/16 12:16 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
danke

#4322981 - 12/24/16 01:42 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (WIP) [Re: OldHat]  
Panama Red Offline
Panama Red  Offline

Irmo, SC, USA
OldHat:
Looks like you have your work cut out for you getting this mod correct, especially since there are at least 3 types of aircraft engines in the game, In-line, Monosoupape Rotaries and "Normal" Rotaries.

CPU = i9 11900K
GPU = RTX 3080 Ti
#4327695 - 01/10/17 08:21 PM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (Beta) [Re: OldHat]  
HarryH Offline
HarryH  Offline

Originally Posted By: OldHat
[size:12pt]

I am a firm believer that "Most combats were conducted at full engine speed with no thought of slowing down. Air fuel mixtures were often used in an attempt to conserve fuel in route to a target/mission objective. My guess for dogfights is that full power was always used. 'High energy' manoeuvers require airspeed. Also makes you harder to hit." - source:theaerodrome.com

This is great work, OldHat. I will have a chance to test this later today. One lingering concern for me is this issue of full throttle in combat. Especially with the Bristol Scout, which I've been flying a lot recently, I find that maintaining full engine speed combat is detrimental to success! This is because any attempt at a tight turn has the nose lifting dramatically, resulting in the craft stalling and falling away to the opposite side of the turn. However, with just a little leaning of the mixture the craft becomes much more maneuverable. In a dive, you have to lean out the mixture, as you have already mentioned, to avoid excessive speeds damaging the machine. Therefore I'm inclined to tinker with the mixture during combat, even if it's not historically accurate smile

H

H

System: i5 8600K @ 3.6GHz,16GB DDR4 @2666MHz. RTX2080, MSI Z370 mobo, Dell 27" G-SYNC @ 144Hz. 2560x1440

#4327814 - 01/11/17 05:54 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (Beta) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

I agree with your comments. Wherever we can apply real world situations in WOFF, that's a bonus.

IMHO it's good to have a choice to deal with frustrations and limitations that were there back then like getting the engine to manually start, not using the blip in combat, starting an engine already at half throttle, shooting at 100 yards or less, etc...

I did read that most pilots didn't choose to fiddle with the mixture during combat when fighting for their lives (adrenaline, scared, anger - all at the same time) and needed a quick escape.

#4336785 - 02/13/17 05:16 AM Re: Inclusive HardCore MOD (Beta) [Re: OldHat]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Final version in OP.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.