Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
#4317760 - 12/06/16 03:24 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Yeah, the score for the S6 finale was outstanding. To be honest though, nothing from Westworld stands out to me except for the main theme.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4318214 - 12/07/16 11:09 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jerkzilla Offline
Ay dios mio
Jerkzilla  Offline
Ay dios mio

I really liked the Rolling Stones cover in the first episode, though I suppose that doesn't really count.

Good ending, brought it all together brilliantly.

ShogunWorld was cool, but given the current trends in pop culture, I half expected a Zombie or STALKERworld biggrin .

Last edited by Jerkzilla; 12/07/16 11:10 PM.
#4318361 - 12/08/16 03:44 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Actually, all the hosts coming out at the end sort of looked like zombies. smile

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4318369 - 12/08/16 04:17 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I just rewatched the final scene, and noticed that despite being hit in the arm, old William didn't really seem to have any pain - at least not pain I'd associate with a gunshot wound. Which begs the question: what kind of ammo are the hosts using, or did Ford code them in a way that they spare William?

And yes, definitely Zombie like, or at least "feral". smile

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4318377 - 12/08/16 04:51 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Hosts shouldn't be able to do much to the humans but cause a little pain. Gunshots are supposed to hurt, but not break the skin when a host shoots a human. Shoot a host and it's full power. They didn't ever explain how that really works that I remember. Since the hosts are either mechanical or synthetic humans, it would SEEM something changes in the gun based on some part of the host being able to tell the difference, even if they don't know it's going on. The bullet shouldn't have penetrated, except for what's going on in Dolores and the new narrative hosts. Not to mention the one that killed Ford that definitely penetrated. LOL

I wonder what the deal was with MiB's pistol? We saw it that one time and it was very unique. I thought there would be some kind of meaning behind it, at least some kind of origin.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4318381 - 12/08/16 05:03 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The whole deal with when do gunshots hurt guests and when they don't did seem kind of convoluted. There's also the issue of where you might have several human guests involved in the same shootout story/scenario. How can they tell the difference between the human guests and the non-human hosts? I think it would be confusing.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4318386 - 12/08/16 05:11 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
The whole deal with when do gunshots hurt guests and when they don't did seem kind of convoluted. There's also the issue of where you might have several human guests involved in the same shootout story/scenario. How can they tell the difference between the human guests and the non-human hosts? I think it would be confusing.

That part wasn't really very well described (if it was even described at all), I guess you just have to accept there is some mechanism that allows for full strength bullets on robots, but soft impacts for humans (eyes notwithstanding :/)

I might also have imagined that robots are physically a lot weaker than humans as a basic safety precaution.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4318407 - 12/08/16 05:50 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
The gun Ford gave to Dolores (which was the same that Arnold gave her 30 years before) was capable of shooting - and killing - humans. I just don't know whether Ford also gave "real" guns to that "Zombie horde" as well.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4318409 - 12/08/16 05:53 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: DM]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: DM

I might also have imagined that robots are physically a lot weaker than humans as a basic safety precaution.

Yet the breakout scene suggested that they (or at least some) seem to be a lot stronger, faster and more resilient than humans, like the Nexus models from Blade Runner. Also better shots. Or Delos Security personnel is extremely inept. smile

Which reminds me: why were those security guards issued "real" firearms, if the "host ammo" would have been sufficient to kill them, but hosts could not have used their own weapons against them?

Also, some hosts seem to have been programmed to shoot guests, but others do not have the ability to point a gun at a guest and pull the trigger (both Dolores and Teddy had to "unlock" that feature first).

#4318415 - 12/08/16 06:00 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Delos probably outsources their security.

#4318416 - 12/08/16 06:01 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Delos probably outsources their security.

Or they were using Stormtrooper hosts from "Star Wars World". smile

#4318458 - 12/08/16 08:29 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Hosts shouldn't be able to do much to the humans but cause a little pain. Gunshots are supposed to hurt, but not break the skin when a host shoots a human. Shoot a host and it's full power. They didn't ever explain how that really works that I remember. Since the hosts are either mechanical or synthetic humans, it would SEEM something changes in the gun based on some part of the host being able to tell the difference, even if they don't know it's going on. The bullet shouldn't have penetrated, except for what's going on in Dolores and the new narrative hosts. Not to mention the one that killed Ford that definitely penetrated. LOL

I wonder what the deal was with MiB's pistol? We saw it that one time and it was very unique. I thought there would be some kind of meaning behind it, at least some kind of origin.

Well by that time he had drank half a bottle of booze. Shot in one arm, the other one broken, not a good combination.

Not the origin story of the gun, but I found this interesting...

Maybe the Ghost Nation got a hold of some security rounds and guns.

#4318487 - 12/08/16 09:28 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Remember when he lit the device to break Lawrence out there was that "request for pyrotechnic effect", which implies it has nothing to do with hosts, but rather that the ammo and other dangerous objects are controlled remotely by a central system.
There must be a massive supercomputer running things like that which prevents guests from being hurt but allows hosts to be. Ford just had to change that code to eliminate the safeties, like they loved to do on the holodeck on TNG. smile

Also remember the one time we saw a guest try to stab another guest with a knife and a host quickly intervened.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4318513 - 12/08/16 10:11 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
I was just puzzled by Ed Harris being hit in the arm but not being overtly concerned with that. Also, couldn't the host girl shoot better or wouldn't she?

My take on the scene is that Dolores (and only Dolores) was allowed to actually kill non-hosts, specifically Ford (?) and the members of the board...except William. My interpretation of William being shot in the arm was more like a warning shot. I don't think he was killed off just yet (off camera, by the advancing Zombie horde).

Before that scene, bullets fired by hosts just didn't seem to penetrate the guest's skins (like airsoft/pellet/paintball guns), while they not only penetrated but sometimes passed right through host bodies. How does one change the ballistic effect of a projectile remotely, on the spot? And within a tiny fraction of a second? That supercomputer would need to determine whether the bullet fired would hit a host or a guest and change the molecular integrity of the projectile in time (or the velocity??). And that's not even accounting for ricochets or shrapnel.

On the Holodeck, at least everything but the humans and the props they brought into the holodeck were holographic projections that somehow become solid (which is iffy enough; didn't Picard kill some Borg with a Thompson from one of his Dixon Hill holostories?) . Everything in Westworld seems to be all physical objects.

William's sleeve (at least) got torn by that shot in the arm, but he just looked at it and seemed to shrug it off.

I think the best answer is: the guns are controlled by "plot technology". smile

I noticed the security guards pistols (also the one Maeve put into her purse) have a red ring around the muzzle. Was that for the benefit of the audience to indicate that those guns would be lethal to anyone?

#4318533 - 12/08/16 11:19 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
We don't know the year do we? Could be far in the future. Electrically fired guns, the powder and noise just for effect. Dial down the power based on the target.
Hell, I don't know. LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4318542 - 12/08/16 11:52 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
We don't know the year do we?

I was wondering about that. From the "Arnold era" technology we get to see (during Elsie's investigation for example) I deducted that it must have been around our present time, give or take 5 years.

So IMO the show takes place sometime in the 2040's/2050's. Apart from the hosts, their abilities and manufacturing process, the technology they are using does not seem to be too advanced: better (slimmer) tablets and slightly advanced smartphones, super fast (MagLev?) trains, holographic projection of the park map and so on.

#4318555 - 12/09/16 01:08 AM Re: Mark4875 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
google turned up this

Its not the guns, Nolan said. Its the bullets. We thought a lot about this. In the original film, the guns wont operate guest on guest, but we felt like the guests would want to have a more visceral experience here. So when theyre shot it has sort of the impact. Theyre called simunitions. The U.S. military trains with rounds like the ones were talking about. But theres a bit of an impact, a bit of a sting. So its not entirely consequence-free for the guests.

And from the Delos website.

(c) All weapons and equipment used within Delos parks are the exclusive property of Delos, Inc. Gun ammunition contains proprietary safeguards related to bullet velocity, and tampering with gun safety features or ammunition automatically transfers liability to you and absolves Delos, Inc. of any injury or death that may occur as a result.

#4318561 - 12/09/16 01:52 AM Re: Westworld - HBO series [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
I remember watching this and thinking "what is Ford planning now" LOL

#4318575 - 12/09/16 04:07 AM Re: Mark4875 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
We don't know the year do we? Could be far in the future. Electrically fired guns, the powder and noise just for effect. Dial down the power based on the target.
Hell, I don't know. LOL

On the Delos website they had security video dated 6/15/2052 but now that date has been replaced by XX/XX/XXXX

#4318624 - 12/09/16 12:13 PM Re: Mark4875 [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Hell, I don't know. LOL

Westworld actually takes place 150,000 years ago! In the season 2 finale we'll see the human survivors of the theme park escape in spaceships as they try to find some sanctuary planet that was mentioned in one of Arnold's journals....

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/09/16 03:07 PM.

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.