Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 49 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 48 49
#4317296 - 12/04/16 08:23 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

"Random musings about my runs, in case anyone might care."

wink if nothing else you are keeping me from bothering other forums LOL. That is a joke related to a 4th grade report card that says I have problems bothering others. While I still argue that I do not have a problem with that exercise, the original assessment of me still shines true.

I enjoy reading the thread, SDE's games just as much. If I had hardware that could run the game, I would purchase the game. I posted before that I do not do Steam and the min Windows version is above mine. Since my ancestry is Finnish, most of my time would be spent building and expanding a Scandinavian empire.

As to the best TV show ever, I am a rivet counter so there is no best. Maybe St.Peter and I can discuss best when that time comes. I do enjoy Family Guy as much as I enjoy the Simpsons. The way that the Simpsons placed the Canyonaro skit at the end of the show was brilliant, even better then the uncut version of the first Ren and Stimpy episode.

Sorry if my post was of subject, but asked if anyone cared.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4317376 - 12/04/16 09:16 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
Security_Device_Enclosed Offline
Security_Device_Enclosed  Offline

Victoria
I still think Simpsons season 2 - 8 is the greatest animated show of all time and one of the best non-British comedies.
Seasons 10 onwards are an abomination though. What are they up to now, 30? deadhorse

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4317450 - 12/05/16 01:41 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Quote:

This sounds really interesting, if you can keep Sweden and/or integrate Norway it seems very possible. Build up a strong navy and land a small force in Scotland to draw the English armies up North, then blockade them on an island while your main force sieges down the rest of the country?
Alternately conquer Scotland before England can and use it as a base to pick on England when they're fighting France/Spain. This way keeping hold of big, bad Sweden is less important. I think?

Yes, the bait and trap idea is perfect. I decided to integrate Sweden first. I thought I'd keep Norway around for a few reasons.

1. They are historical friends and easy to control
2. They have good naval ideas and I will need a strong navy when taking on England
3. An event fired and I chose the option which gave Norway permanent claims on northern Scotland
4. I'm hoping they take exploration. But I think that AIs under player PUs will not.

Aldo, have you played the demo? Would be great to have you join the discussion. You can bother us haha

SDE, that's cool that you formed Egypt. Did you get any special bonuses for doing so? And thanks for including the GUI. I learn so much more about your games with that info. Nice, meticulous trade fleet protection for example smile

And I think there is no question that the Simpsons is among the greatest TV shows. I quote the Simpsons just about everyday.

Homer JAY Simpson biggrin

Me fail English? That's unpossible. -- Ralph Wiggum

It's a boy! And what a boy! Umm, that's the umbilical cord. -- Homer

Shoplifting is a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark. -- Nelson

Lisa, if I’ve learned anything, it’s that life is just one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead -- Homer

Brothers and sisters are natural enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland! -Groundskeeper Willie

They're fighting like Iran and Iraq!" "Who?" "*sigh* Persia and Mesopotamia, sir. -Smithers and Mr. Burns

Some folk'll never lose a toe, but then again some folk'll. Like Cletus the slack-jawed yokel!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4317559 - 12/05/16 09:02 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
*Full post to be added after work*

Just a quick question, is corruption a real problem on harder difficulties? I play on normal and it's never the slightest problem, other than minor increases by events or just bad luck it never really climbs much. Just a minor gold sink for a few months and you're back to 0...

Edit: A large part of those trade fleets was built for the 'Naval race versvs France' mission.

This is Bobby Rahal, thanks for playing the trial version of Microsoft's CART Precision Racing
#4317568 - 12/05/16 09:41 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't play harder difficulties, just ironman Lucky Nations, which has it's own err, difficulties.

I've not had corruption over 2. That can be a fair sized ducat-sink though.

#4318049 - 12/07/16 03:18 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, so I'm trying for the Iron Price achievement. It's going fairly well. But there are things in the current version that are driving me mad. Ally AI is wonky. I'm allied to France. France gets in alot of wars and I am constantly called in. I need them to give weight to my alliance to keep aggressive nations (Commonwealth, Ottos and Muscovy) at bay. So I have to keep answering their calls. But it is frustrating. For example...

France declares war on Austria. France is strong. They have a 45k stack with a two star general and a 55k stack with a three-star general. The war kicks off and I send an army and we begin battles and sieging. But the 55k French stack sits in Paris, with a three-star general mind. And They. Never. Move. There is a 38k Austrian stack sieging the province next to Paris! Don't move. So eventually they are forced to release Burgundy and other concessions. They could have easily won the war, but lost. Because they didn't move their army. I am seeing this sort of stuff alot in the current version. In 3 separate games Spain has had Catalonia secede due to rebels. And Spain has a huge army (suffering month after month of attrition) just a few provinces away.

That cost me 10 years at least of wasted effort. Stuff like this is aggravating. The enemy AI has no such trouble. Their ability to reinforce battles while the friendly AI runs around with 5k stacks getting wiped is a sight to see.

To further aggravate me, I got two PUs in this Denmark run. OPM Palatinate (lost elector) and OPM whatever the nation next to Holstein that starts with a D. The second drew me in to a succession war with my ally Spain and put me over dip relations limit for good measure. All over a single 10-development province that I wanted nothing to do with. I don't even know what they are called! I had never RM'd them. I guess they shared my dynasty. So then it costs me 25 prestige to abandon the PU. The player should have a chance to decline a PU, not just get roped in to it.

#4318294 - 12/08/16 08:58 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Yeah, I hate ally wars. It's one thing to start a war on your own terms (or even get invaded by the Ottos) but when you're trying to help allies and have to do all the work, only to have them sit idly by and let the enemy siege down their provinces is a pain. Then they go and concede at something like +/- 30 warscore. But of course the AI would never accept your own peace deals...

In 1715 Morocco formed Andalusia, I have never seen such a thing. Ugly borders though.

In the 1720s I took some provinces off the Ottomans, they were having a bad time with Bulgaria and it only got worse after I declared as Austria joined the party (You can see them sieging in Greece)
Formed a client state just to be different.

#4318316 - 12/08/16 12:59 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

That's my Denmark in 1729. I was wrong about needing England gone from Europe to change the culture of English provinces. As a result, it wasn't too hard to get the achievement. I released Leinster hoping to vassalize but they don't care for that arrangement.

I hadn't played Denmark since I first got the game three years ago. Denmark has a fine navy. 15% Light Ship CA is nice as it lets you build more of them knowing they can hold their own in combat. Denmark also gets +1 yearly navy tradition, +5% ship durability, -10% naval maintenance and +50% naval force limit. All this means that I was able to match up with England without taking either naval idea group.

The flip side is there are no army bonuses. I took Defensive, Offensive and Quality to help correct that deficiency. There is an event called something like 'Foreign Drill Instructor' that gives +20 army tradition. I got it two times in the span of a couple of years and my AT hit about 90. That allowed me to roll some damn fine generals and the Danish troops were a match for anyone as a result.

You can see that Norway still lives. I've kept them around for a few reasons, not least of which is the fact they get a colonist in their NIs. So they've been happily colonizing the new world while I deal with affairs closer to home. I could integrate them and form Scandinavia, but chose not to since I would lose any Danish flavor events.

Iberia has been interesting. The Wedding fired and I just clicked the notice away, but without realizing that whichever nation got it, they declined! So Portugal, Castile and Aragon have all been enemies with one another the whole way. Pretty cool, and a nice change from the usual Wedding + alliance with Portugal. I don't show it in this shot, but both Castile and Portugal own huge swaths of interior Africa. This, I guess, has allowed the tiny Portugal you do see, to have a land force limit of 140k!

The wars with England were not all that difficult to be honest. Their troops suck almost as much as Danish troops do smile But as I said I managed to field a capable army through idea groups and AT. I'm not sure I will play this one much longer, but if I do I will move my capital to London and integrate Norway for their CNs.

Denmark is fun. You have a challenging start. Good allies and keeping your unions in order are the key. A rebellious Sweden is a huge headache and if they declare Independence that puts the brakes on any plans you might have, so keeping them content is vital. The primary drawbacks are dirt-poor land and slow institution spread. As a result manpower and ducats are always in short supply. Once I had London, and England in general, those troubles came to an end, But until then, the economy and manpower will hamstring Denmark's ability to grow.

I moved early to take territory that would prevent Muscovy from forming Russia. That made them game long rivals. But allowing them to form Russia means their manpower and army will double or triple in size. So it is another key to a good Denmark game.

Check out the HRE blob-a-thon. Nice police work there Emperor rolleyes

For non-military idea groups I took Humanist (life-saver in this game for the religious unity and unrest in general), Influence and Trade.

#4318344 - 12/08/16 02:54 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted By: Security_Device_Enclosed
Yeah, I hate ally wars. It's one thing to start a war on your own terms (or even get invaded by the Ottos) but when you're trying to help allies and have to do all the work, only to have them sit idly by and let the enemy siege down their provinces is a pain. Then they go and concede at something like +/- 30 warscore. But of course the AI would never accept your own peace deals...

In 1715 Morocco formed Andalusia, I have never seen such a thing. Ugly borders though.

That is very cool what Morocco did. Never saw anything like that either. Matter of fact, Morocco usually gets eaten in my games.

About the ally wars. Same thing I complained about earlier happened a few more times. But in my last war against England my allies were amazing. It was Denmark, Castile and France against England, Portugal and Aragon. France and Castile put the stomp on Portugal and Aragon. Their armies moved together and just crushed everything in their path. It was beautiful man. Here's what I think is going on, at least in part. When AI nations go to war, sometimes they decide to embark their armies to make a landing somewhere. But something goes wrong, and the navy can't or won't show up to pick them up. So they just wait, and wait and wait. Usually they are in a coastal province awaiting the arrival of the ships. Doesn't explain perfectly the case I mentioned earlier with France static in Paris. But I suspect it's something like this.

#4318622 - 12/09/16 12:07 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Originally Posted By: DBond
[img:gal:3035849593c6be21]You can see that Norway still lives. I've kept them around for a few reasons, not least of which is the fact they get a colonist in their NIs. So they've been happily colonizing the new world while I deal with affairs closer to home. I could integrate them and form Scandinavia, but chose not to since I would lose any Danish flavor events.

----------------

Check out the HRE blob-a-thon. Nice police work there Emperor rolleyes

For non-military idea groups I took Humanist (life-saver in this game for the religious unity and unrest in general), Influence and Trade.

Humanist is a great idea set, I usually take when playing in Europe, other continents get Religious ideas. The lowered unrest and idea cost is pretty good too.

Are there no Scandinavia events? I would have thought a Swedish company like Paradox would have loved to add plenty of united north flavour.

Beta Israel/Egypt goes well, it's 1751 and I'm just slowing moving through Africa colonising one province at a time (Expansion ideas) and taking native land here and there. The Middle East is pretty stable, I'd like unify Arabia but Qara Qoyloonooloolo is allied to the Timurids. So am I. Don't really want to lose such a nice, happy ally so I'll just focus on Africa. I could push West fighting Tunis and Andalus, should be pretty easy I guess. They're only allied to each other and I have the third highest manpower after Russia and Japan.

Sometimes fighting the natives doesn't quite seem fair... biggrin How's my army composition? I think far too heavy on the cav/arty considering you merge armies once wars start. Artillery does good damage.

Edit: It's 1754, and the Mughals have formed. Never seen this either!

#4318633 - 12/09/16 02:03 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Humanist is a great idea set, I usually take when playing in Europe, other continents get Religious ideas. The lowered unrest and idea cost is pretty good too.

Are there no Scandinavia events? I would have thought a Swedish company like Paradox would have loved to add plenty of united north flavour.

It's been so long since I've been Scandinavia that I don't know honestly. But judging by comments on the Paradox boards there are few Scandinavian events. And yes Humanist is great. It's funny but I'm the opposite of you. I tend to take Religious when primarily expanding in heretic lands, and Humanist when expanding in Heathen lands. But it's situational and sometimes I even take both. The Humanist finisher is excellent, yes. In that Denmark game due to that and other modifiers I was paying 300 points per idea. That's really good.

Forming Scandinavia would have given me a cultural union and some prestige but not really needed at that stage.

Quote:
How's my army composition? I think far too heavy on the cav/arty considering you merge armies once wars start. Artillery does good damage.

Looks good. As a general rule I try to do this. I build infantry to 2-4 under combat width and fill the rest of the front line with cav. Then as much arty on the back line as I can afford. Ideally to combat width, but expense usually precludes that. So for example if combat width is 20 I would make it 16 infantry, 4 cavalry and 20 artillery. But in practice it's more like 10 artillery due to the maintenance cost. If I'm playing a cavalry nation, say Poland, Hungary or Ottomans I will go much heavier on cav. I remember a Polish game and I think the cav CA was around +70%, so we were very cav-heavy. Some nations like Poland don't suffer the 50% imbalanced army malus so you can really go all in on cavalry.

Nice Egypt. You must be raking in the gold. Did any of the east Africa land that you colonized give gold production? Good on Bulgaria eh? Doing well. And looks like you've got a Super Pope of your own.

#4318676 - 12/09/16 04:43 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
As we all know, I'm an achievement whore. They provide my motivation and direction, and cause me to play nations and set goals that I would never have otherwise. But the problem is that once I fire the achievement(s) I'm after it's good game and all the air is out of my sails. And so it was that I couldn't be arsed to conquer the rest of England, even though it would have been a formality.

So for about the 6th time in the past month I started an Austria game. You might recall my excommunication troubles in the last run, so this time I decided I would just forget about stopping the Shadow Kingdom. I need good Papal relations so probably a good idea not to attack them. I thought instead I would focus on unions and go for a few achievements I haven't gotten. There are at least three I think I could get as Austria that I have yet to.

Full House -- Have 3 Vassals and 2 Marches at the same time.

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword -- Have three unions at the same time as Austria.

One Family to Rule Them All -- Have your dynasty on 8 thrones at the same time.

There are several more that are possible in this run, but those three are the ones I'll try to get.

I swear I have the worst luck in this game. Confirmation bias, perhaps. But things just don't seem to break my way. For example I started the game and installed the union over Bohemia. But then my King dies and Bohemia broke the union due to negative opinion. So I restarted and this time he didn't die before I could raise their opinion. Then got the von Habsburg on the throne of Hungary by event and nothing happened. Hungary's event to choose a union or go with their own King never fired. I mean it's got like a 20-month MTTH and everyone gets it. But not me and some Hungarian local yokel took the throne. Grrr.

So at least I have the Burgundian Inheritance to look forward to. You'd think so. But it of course never fired as France and Burgundy haven't fought yet. It's 1510 for crying out loud! What are ya waiting for?! That's just strange.

On the plus side I got my dynasty on the Castilian throne so maybe 267 years from now that will pay off.

So I have a union over Bohemia. That's nice. The good King of Brandenburg died heirless and he left his nation to Poland. Poland? No sir, not having that! To war! We beat Poland and Lithuania in the war and now have Brandenburg in a union. We then allied Saxony to give us a union over two electors and and an alliance with a third. That should seal the Emperorship for a while. Well at least until the Reformation hits and it all goes to s h i t. Just need a third union now to get that achievement.

We crushed Venice for their local provinces and now we will look to reclaim the lands that left with the Shadow Kingdom. Leave the Empire will ya? Now there is a price to pay! smile

SDE have you ever played as Mamluks? I want to get the achievement for forming Arabia and leading the world in coffee production. They seem like the best candidate. Just curious if you have any experience playing them.

#4318752 - 12/09/16 11:01 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Originally Posted By: DBond
Looks good. As a general rule I try to do this. I build infantry to 2-4 under combat width and fill the rest of the front line with cav. Then as much arty on the back line as I can afford. Ideally to combat width, but expense usually precludes that. So for example if combat width is 20 I would make it 16 infantry, 4 cavalry and 20 artillery. But in practice it's more like 10 artillery due to the maintenance cost. If I'm playing a cavalry nation, say Poland, Hungary or Ottomans I will go much heavier on cav. I remember a Polish game and I think the cav CA was around +70%, so we were very cav-heavy. Some nations like Poland don't suffer the 50% imbalanced army malus so you can really go all in on cavalry.

Nice Egypt. You must be raking in the gold. Did any of the east Africa land that you colonized give gold production? Good on Bulgaria eh? Doing well. And looks like you've got a Super Pope of your own.

Yeah, I've heard similar advice on the forums, I guess I just like having 'balanced' armies. i.e. No 13/2/5 setups.

Yes, I have five gold producing provinces, 3 were conqured, one from colonisation and one from abolishing slavery.

I have played as the Mamluks but it was one of my first games, so no good advice. The latest patch split up East Africa and they're mostly infidels, so expansion south should be easy, the coffee producing provinces are quite a way down though. So you'll probably have to deal with the Turks 2 or 3 times before you get there.

Some oddities

Venice somehow became part of France. (Also it's supposed to be Rosbif, not Rospig wink )

Blockading straits apparently doesn't work if they have a friendly province to retreat to

We're number two! We're number two!

I find it weird that who blobs in the HRE seems completely random.

#4318815 - 12/10/16 12:48 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, so all the crying I did about things not going my way paid off and I inherited Bohemia when one of my Kings kicked the bucket. That's like really good. Not only does it almost double my size, it makes me an elector. Sweet. The downside is that is one less dynasty on the throne and one less union, making the achievements harder to get. Austria is really fun to play. So much to do, not only pilot your own nation, but defend the HRE, work on Imperial Authority, pass reforms and reclaim lost HRE lands.

I had also cried in the last post about not getting the Burgundian Inheritance. But now, it's a good thing because France got nothing. Burgundy and I were good friends, but they held HRE territory that needed to be returned. Since they wouldn't do it simply by asking, I waited until the time was right, when they had no allies willing to answer and we struck. Here you see the map at the start of the war. It's a pretty nice Burgundy actually, seemed a shame to break it apart. But my stalled IA said otherwise.

Got forts much? rolleyes

And shortly after...

One of the great things about being such a diplomatic powerhouse is that you can forge a fantastic alliance. Everyone wants to be your friend, and with several extra diplomatic relations slots the alliance is vast, so no matter the situation you're almost guaranteed to have a few allies willing to jump in.

Once we reached 100% warscore I peaced them out, taking Franch-Compte for myself and releasing 4 princes. This action reduced unlawful Imperial lands to about 3 provinces, and IA started ticking up once again. So far we've managed to pass 3 reforms.

When I started this run and had decided not to pursue the Shadow Kingdom, I knew that the Reformation would probably be my biggest challenge. In anticipation I had made Religious my second idea group after Influence. Religious unity is very important to keep the IA ticking. The first Protestant CoR (Center of Reformation) popped up next door in Ravensburg. I quickly declared war and forced them to convert back, which removes the CoR. Permanently! That's really strong.

A little later we did it again to Switzerland and erased a Reformed CoR. So that reduced the strength of the Reformation by a third. In this shot you can see another Reformed CoR has popped up in Lucca, and that should be gone shortly. The Leagues are forming, and with my success so far against the Reformation, the sides are unbalanced. Far fewer nations have aligned with Protestant than usually do, though there is still time. Unfortunately, France, England and Ottomans are in for Protestant. But we have Commonwealth and Spain on our side. My elector ally Saxony flipped and broke our alliance. We will have to punish such insolence! I admit I was a little fearful of what would happen to my nation and Emperor status when the Reformation hit, but so far we've managed to keep it more or less in check.

Here is the state of affairs in 1554. Spain, Commonwealth, The Pope are allies, and Brandenburg is in a union. Having just lost Saxony as ally I will find another or two. No shortage of suitors. When I started the game having decided not to contest the Shadow Kingdom I planned to then eat through the dearly departed and you can see I'm pushing through Milan and next into Savoy. That will broaden my front against France.

#4318822 - 12/10/16 01:59 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: Security_Device_Enclosed]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Blockading straits apparently doesn't work if they have a friendly province to retreat to

Yes, that was changed. You now need to control one side of the strait in order to block it off with ships.

How did Venice end up in a union? They are a Republic. Did they change their gubment? They had to if they are in a union and have an heir. I guess most likely they had noble rebels who turned it in to a monarchy. If their RT dropped enough that would happen.

Quote:
I find it weird that who blobs in the HRE seems completely random.

Yes, and that sort of random unpredictability is one of the best things about this game isn't it?

#4318928 - 12/11/16 12:24 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Good work. Austria and Italy usually seem pretty immune to the reformation, should help a lot once things calm down. Do you plan on suppressing the reformation by invading and either, annexing or vassalising Protestant states? If you win the league war that is, or just let them be?

I have no idea how Venice happened but they've been a part of France since 1740 or so. They've never lost any territory so Noble rebels seems most likely. Haven't seen that before. (How many times have I said that this run?)

It's 1787 and the Ottomans look weak, I think it's time to strike. It wasn't part of the original plan but I'd really like an Anatolian client state.

Just after this screen was taken the Bulgarians and Russians declared war. Excellent.

So it begins, hopefully Bulgaria peaces out and I can get a full occupation

Bulgaria chooses to take everything. I'm at 99% warscore because there is a single Ottoman province on a Greek island.

A war with no battles. How dull.

Final result. Kebab (mostly) removed by 1790.

Plans for the final decades:
Neaten up borders, mostly via colonisation in Africa.
Blow some gold on manufactories in Coffee and Spice producing provinces (Let's pretend I'm trying to get an acheivement)
Conquer what's left of Arabia
Get legitimacy above 50

#4318988 - 12/11/16 10:50 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
1809, Qara has reformed as Persia and the once mighty Mughals have fallen.

Then just to make things weirder, France has integrated Venice and gained a PU over Genoa.

#4319004 - 12/11/16 01:07 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
1821. Done.

Let's turn off terra incognita and take a look at the world as it ends with a bang.

#4319034 - 12/11/16 04:36 PM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great job. France did really well. And for you to take Egypt to second on the GP list is great. And you played right to the end. That might be the strongest Bulgaria in the history of EU IV lol.

Quote:
Do you plan on suppressing the reformation by invading and either, annexing or vassalising Protestant states? If you win the league war that is, or just let them be?

Yes, that's what I've been doing since the Reformation hit. If I have a CB I attack the heretic prince and force religion through the peace deal. It's gone well. I erased four CoRs, all three Reformed and one Protestant. The last two are in England and Denmark and I've not been able to conjure a way to take them out. I successfully forestalled the League War by improving relations with whichever nation took the war leader position. So they never declared and around 1589 the Diet was called and Catholic is official. I am having a problem with the free cities though. They won't accept enforce religion. So I will need to figure out a way to DoW their allies as I try to maximize IA since I share no borders with the remaining heretic ones.

When I started this game I had little faith that I would be able to be a good emperor. I mean, I thought I could pass 3 reforms, but that reclaiming the wayward HRE land would be difficult. But I've been alot more successful than I guessed. I played Austria a couple years ago and was able to pass all reforms and unify the HRE. But alot has changed, and it's much more difficult to get IA now.

Austria is a blast since there's just so much more to do than other nations.

#4319113 - 12/12/16 05:26 AM Re: Europa Universalis, why no love 'round here? [Re: DBond]  

Victoria
Here's an interesting start - Uzbek to Bukhara. There's bound to be an achievement or two here.

On paper it seems simple enough, in order to form Bukhara Uzbek needs just one province, Bukhara. Unfortunately that province is in the hands of the most powerful central Asian state, Timurids.
You start with a decent army but poor provinces, all your fellow Hordes hate you so it might take a few restarts to get a good run. Your neighbours will almost immediately start their own wars so you can probably steal a few provinces using the 'tribal feud' casus belli.

Uzbek is rather unique as the only nation I know of that does not start with their own primary culture, all Uzbek culture provinces are in the hands of the Timurids and many of your own provinces are Tengri heathens. There are a number of releasable vassals though, including Sibir which can make for interesting gameplay. You can do as hordes do and raid and loot or you can try the 'civilized' method of colonising the steppe.

Page 20 of 49 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 48 49

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.