Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4320471 - 12/16/16 06:48 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
As a purchaser of SB Pro many years ago I knew that if I completely lost the dongle that was it,game over.I had never spent $125 on a game before and I was going to make damn sure the dongle was somewhere safe at all times. Mine actually failed and after a quick chat with Ssnake (either on here or the official forum,I can't remember now) it was duly sent off for free replacement.

It's unfortunate the dongle was lost,but starting a hate campaign against Esim wasn't the best way to go about this imho .Losing the dongle is like losing the DVD for a PC game,you have to take personal responsibility for that.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4320501 - 12/16/16 07:57 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: Chucky]  
PaladinSix Offline
PaladinSix  Offline

New York, USA
Originally Posted By: Chucky
As a purchaser of SB Pro many years ago I knew that if I completely lost the dongle that was it,game over.I had never spent $125 on a game before and I was going to make damn sure the dongle was somewhere safe at all times. Mine actually failed and after a quick chat with Ssnake (either on here or the official forum,I can't remember now) it was duly sent off for free replacement.

It's unfortunate the dongle was lost,but starting a hate campaign against Esim wasn't the best way to go about this imho .Losing the dongle is like losing the DVD for a PC game,you have to take personal responsibility for that.

Likewise, I've always understood that if I lost the dongle, I was SOL. I've always thought of the cost of SB as $125 plus the cost of a replacement dongle ($125) times the probability that I would have to purchase the replacement. So, assuming there's about a 5% chance I might lose it, the cost is $125 + ($125 x .05) = $125 + $6.25 = $131.25.

Given the hundreds of hours I've spent both playing the sim and using the mission editor, the price still comes out to pennies per hour of enjoyment. A huge bargain.

Last edited by PaladinSix; 12/16/16 10:52 PM.
#4320509 - 12/16/16 08:29 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: Sturmtiger]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Originally Posted By: Sturmtiger
I would point out that RyanE fully expected to pay for the dongle.

Where his argument is, he was being told he would have to repurchase the entire game for $125.

That was because he couldn't prove the dongle was no longer in his possession.

The dongle is just thee DRM for the game, not the game.

So it would be like charging him for the full razor when all he needed was the charging cord.

The software, as with all software *is* the license. Which is in this case held on the CM stick.

Replacement options seem fair to me. Replacement of a returned licence/license holder, but not a duplication of one which may be in the wild.
Nils agreed to place a block on the CM container's license, but asked for patience to see if this was effective.

The ultimate cause of the loss was also not eSim's fault, and the liability was with and remains with the carrier and airport that lost his luggage (and himself for placing the small, light and valuable CM stick into checked baggage rather than his hand luggage or pocket).

It should be noted that eSim's use of the CM stick permits end users a great deal more flexibility in how they use, share and transfer licences (sets) to new users than almost any other controlled licensing method.

#4320658 - 12/17/16 08:05 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
What he doesn't seem to grasp was that he had other options.
Quote:
You spent $200 which provided you over 3 years of entertainment. That's $66 per year. Ssnake was asking you if a $40 per year time-based license would not be a better option. I don't see how his suggestion was NOT a better deal. $66 per year vs. $40 per year.

Interesting how he stopped posting here once he started getting questioned. He really wasn't interested in any other solutions unless it was on his terms.

- Ice
#4320660 - 12/17/16 08:20 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: - Ice]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice
What he doesn't seem to grasp was that he had other options.
Quote:
You spent $200 which provided you over 3 years of entertainment. That's $66 per year. Ssnake was asking you if a $40 per year time-based license would not be a better option. I don't see how his suggestion was NOT a better deal. $66 per year vs. $40 per year.

Interesting how he stopped posting here once he started getting questioned. He really wasn't interested in any other solutions unless it was on his terms.

I can undestand he was angry. Losing a valued item realy sucks. Also the post mabe by Mr. Morrison here was realy helpful IMO. I think wwe should see the issue as settled and NOT start pocking the OP.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4320662 - 12/17/16 08:32 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
He was angry, sure, but he also seemed to have an underlying motive. I'm going by his posts (and tone) over on the other forums, not just by his posts here.

Sure, it's painful to be told you may have to fork out $125, but was the yearly license of $40 really an unreasonable option? Both in terms of cost and security?

- Ice
#4321776 - 12/20/16 05:57 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Sturmtiger Offline
Sturmtiger  Offline

USA
I am not on anyone's side. I just posted to make it clear what the guy was asking for and saying.

As I posted he never said it was Esims fault or that they were supposed to send him something for free.

Some posters after him made it seem that way.

I guess it is a DRM issue. A lot of people won't touch any games/sims with any kind of DRM and only buy the DVD/CD of the game. Their thinking is that I own it if it is in my hands.

Technically they are mistaken, because every legal write up says that the company is 'allowing' you to use the software.

I have gone back and forth in my mind about Steel Beasts. I could get the yearly license for relatively cheap, however i am still playing games from 15 years ago, so that would make it not so cheap.

I think when I do buy it I will go the dongle way. I would just make sure that it never left the house.

#4321822 - 12/20/16 07:23 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Gibsonm Offline
Gibsonm  Offline

Sydney, NSW
Also the dongle gives you mobility.

If you have it installed on say a desktop and a laptop you can use the same license, just move the dongle from box to box.

The time limited license is linked to a specific machine.

Same thing applies to upgrading / replacement machine - just plug the dongle in. If you buy a new machine, you have to buy a new time limited license as again its linked to specific machine (in this case your old one).

Mark (}-:
LTCOL RAAC
IAW the Defence Communication Manual 2016, Chapter 3, paragraphs 3.28 - 3.30 - The views expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of the Department of Defence.
#4321888 - 12/20/16 10:13 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Sturmtiger Offline
Sturmtiger  Offline

USA
I wasn't aware that the limited license was tied to a computer. Thank you very much.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole then.

I upgrade and play with my computer too much to risk that.

Its bad enough I have to prove to MS that it is still really the same computer.

#4322008 - 12/21/16 09:02 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Sturmtiger
I wasn't aware that the limited license was tied to a computer.

It says as much on our web shop page. Given that we offer short-term licenses as well, they reduce the loss risk. But ultimately we're giving everybody a choice, so you can decide which option works best for you. Mere hardware upgrades will be tolerated by the license mechanism, BTW. Reinstalling Windows, on the other hand, is a problem. Even then, if it can be scheduled, we've usually been able to work something out. Just contact us in advance.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4322040 - 12/21/16 12:18 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Sturmtiger Offline
Sturmtiger  Offline

USA
In reading this "Limited to single license per PC" I thought it was like other games I have where you have to unlicense one computer to then install it on another. Not that it was tied forever to one computer.

Sorry, my mistake.

#4322055 - 12/21/16 01:50 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Right now our licenses do not support "unlicensing".
If we offered unlimited licenses without CM stick I would certainly consider making license transfers possible with a high priority.

From our perspective: Twelve one-month licenses cost 114.- USD
One one-year license costs 39.50.- USD. That constitutes a massive discount in excess of 65%. There are two justifications for it, one: We want to create an incentive for longer license use. Two: This reflects the risk of a loss of the license, which of course increases over time.

With that in mind I think that the pricing and the combination with licenses that expire are perfectly fine, and fair. After all there is no subscription involved. It's four months before the summer holidays? Get a four-month license, then leave the computer alone until, maybe half a year later, you feel like playing again for a month. Total costs that year: $34.-
Then take a year off, until a new update comes out. Play four months again, $24.50, then decide if you want to play another four months, or more, or less. In my opinion these options give everybody a great deal of flexibility. If you just know that you're going to play it all the time, for years, you again have the choice between great flexibility (a CM USB stick that stores the license independently from the computer), or less flexibility at lower costs by binding a one-year license to your machine.

#4322861 - 12/24/16 02:18 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: marko1231123]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: marko1231123
Originally Posted By: - Ice
I wonder if you're going after the airline with such energy as well? If you complain about eSim's rules and your loyalty to SB, did you make the same pitch to the airline regarding their rules and how many times you've flown with them?

While I see your point, Ssnake is correct --- they did not lose the dongle, the product is not defective, so how is this their fault? Suxx to be in your situation, yes, totally, but that's not eSim's fault.

Another point you seem to be missing --- you can buy a replacement dongle, but considering their upgrade cycle and how much they charge for the upgrade, won't buying a yearly license be a cost-neutral option?

+1

This whole situation sounds very dubious to me.
You are obviously trying to smear Esim/Ssnake because you did not get the result you wanted.
I have corresponded with Ssnake via the SB forum for years and always found him to be a reasonable guy.
Even though with have agreed to disagree on a number of issues.

+1

#4345972 - 03/22/17 01:15 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
AbuM Offline
AbuM  Offline

Let me get this straight. You went to China, with a piece of military training software in use by various NATO and SEATO states, during a period of heightened tensions between China (and its friend Russia) & the US (and its NATO and SEATO allies). This software and hardware license container was placed into your non-carry on luggage by you. It was then checked by their customs/port authority/security services and possibly taken by them. Am I correct so far? It seems the first mistake was bringing it to China or anywhere else that might have an interest in information that is provided by such software.

Unity is power.
#4345998 - 03/22/17 07:30 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
No need to open that discussion again. There is nothing to be gained from an internet feud.

#4346232 - 03/23/17 04:34 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: Ssnake]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

No need to open that discussion again.

We were able to see your cool new icon.
frown sorry, I could not resist to reply about the icon.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4346239 - 03/23/17 07:16 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: RyanE]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
It's actually one of the Steel Beasts program icons. What you may not know, SB comes with a number of them. So if you create a shortcut on your desktop you can choose your favorite vehicle via the shortcut's properties. smile

#4347924 - 03/30/17 06:37 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: AbuM]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by AbuM
Let me get this straight. You went to China, with a piece of military training software in use by various NATO and SEATO states, during a period of heightened tensions between China (and its friend Russia) & the US (and its NATO and SEATO allies). This software and hardware license container was placed into your non-carry on luggage by you. It was then checked by their customs/port authority/security services and possibly taken by them. Am I correct so far? It seems the first mistake was bringing it to China or anywhere else that might have an interest in information that is provided by such software.

Wow!..You did that Ssnake?...Can you confirm or deny those allegations?

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4347999 - 03/31/17 12:59 AM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Rotareneg Offline
Rotareneg  Offline

The post you're quoting is referring to the person who started this thread, RyanE, not Ssnake.

#4348122 - 03/31/17 05:06 PM Re: I would stay away from SB Pro dongles [Re: Rotareneg]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted by Rotareneg
The post you're quoting is referring to the person who started this thread, RyanE, not Ssnake.

Besides, what should the china-men learn from it anyway as its basicly based on unclassified data.
What gets classified is: Steelbeasts+an army instructor...then you get to the interessting parts :-P

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.