Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4317539 - 12/05/16 07:54 PM perennial question  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

OK, what's everyone enjoying the heck out of playing, or looking forward to for Christmas, or anticipating in the new year?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4317542 - 12/05/16 07:58 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Right now I'm currently playing

F1 2016
ArmA 3
Total War Attila
Total War Rome 2
Skyrim Enhanced Edition
Borderlands 2
Company of Heroes 2
DCS World
Rise of Flight
Project Cars

I will be playing the new Deus Ex title as soon as I finish Skyrim.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4317554 - 12/05/16 08:47 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I keep getting sidetracked with games and not finishing anything.
Right now I'm getting into Fallout 4, whereas I didn't get into 3.
The Division...the new survival mode is INTENSE.
Skyrim SE...fun, can pick up anytime.
Star Wars Battlefront...just scratched the surface, but interested in the ship fights. I'm useless on the ground.
Ryse Son of Rome...renewed interest. Bargain game, eye candy, good battles if a little repetitive.

Flip side:
Dishonored 2...still playing, but not as good as the original.
Mafia 3...good game, but doesn't have the style of Mafia 2. Very "Far Cry", which isn't bad, but not what I'm in the mood for.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4317567 - 12/05/16 09:30 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
So this is a gaming question and it's not about plants? smile

I'm anticipating DCS World 2.5, but I've been anticipating it for awhile and I imagine I will continue to for the foreseeable future! I'll fly a bit of 1.5.x and 2.0.x in the interim, along with some RoF.

I'm deep in Bioshock Remastered, haven't played the game in years, then I have B2 Remastered and BInfinite to play after that. I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider GOTY to fit in somewhere.

I'm in the middle of Witcher 2, although I believe I'm still pretty early in it, and then I have Witcher 3 to start.

I'm also going to do a bit of F1 2016, along with Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally.
I'll be spending some time with BoS/BoM using Pat's DCG, and a bit of R6 Siege now and again.

I'll finally play Fallout 4 somewhere in between the Bioshock titles, maybe between 1 and 2, and I do plan on Skyrim SE, which unlike many people here I have only ever played through one time, although I did do EVERYTHING in the game and DLCs, there was nothing left but dynamic quests and random encounters. Took me 250 hours to do it all once. smile

I will also replay Dishonored and Deus Ex Human Revolution in advance of playing the new ones, but I don't have them yet, so no rush.

When it comes to games that are unreleased, there are only 2 I'm watching:

Ghost Recon Wildlands--we'll see how good it is

Sniper Elite 4--liked the last 2, so unless they screw it up it should be great

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4317603 - 12/05/16 11:35 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Recently got back into Elite Dangerous (Horizons). Before that I finally got around to finish Assassin's Creed Syndicate. And still using Rocksmith 2014, if that can even be called a game.

Still installed but not playing ATM:
- DCS (have not touched it since 2014)
- Witcher 3 (finished all main and side quests, still some POIs to discover though)
- Shogun 2 Total War
- Arma 3 (with Tanoa DLC)
- Deus Ex Mankind Divided (finished but not yet uninstalled)

Waiting for Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3 to enter a Steam sale (and to be patched)

For 2017, I'm looking forward to Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. And being the sunny, optimistic type of person I pretend to be for the sake of this post, Star Citizen. biggrin

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4317629 - 12/06/16 01:48 AM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
So many:

Witcher 3 (Just started Blood and Wine)
Skyrim SE with mods
Oxenfree
Salt & Sanctuary
Subnautica
Shadow Complex
Outland
Alien Isolation (still playing and haven't finished the main game yet even after 50+ hours! I love this game.)
Uncharted Series (continuing my second playthrough of these games but this time around on the very good PS4 remastered version. I finished one, about 75% into the second and this it will be the third)
The Order: 1886 (getting ready to play my second playthrough of this after finishing it almost two years ago.

Looking forward to so many:
Uncharted 4
God of War
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Dishonored 2
Tyranny
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Tahira
ABZU
Inside
Red Dead Redemption 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quantum Break
Sniper Elite 4
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Combat Air Patrol 2
Astroneer
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Syberia 3

Oh my goodness!!! I just discovered that The Last of Us 2 is confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man this is too much. Between that and Red Dead Redemption 2 I haven't been this excited in a long time. Time to save the pennies.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4317669 - 12/06/16 06:30 AM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Kind of out of simming for about a year now, but Steam had a nice sale and I just picked up a three year old game Assassin's Creed IV; Black Flag, and having a pretty good time with it. Not really looking forward to anything newer...maybe the new COD.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4317746 - 12/06/16 03:05 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
AC4 is the only one I played, got it free with my GTX770, but I thought it was great fun. The best time is sailing around the Caribbean, taking on forts, ships, upgrading your ship to take on bigger ones...

Coot, how in the world have you put over 50 hrs into Alien Isolation without finishing it yet?? I did everything I could find, went everywhere I could, and I finished in 28!
I missed getting all the logs, ID tags, and a few other achievements like killing an android with just the jack due to the frustration level smile but at that point I really felt like I'd done it all.
That's 28 with playing the SP DLC's as well, BTW!

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4317758 - 12/06/16 03:19 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Maybe Coot has a serious case of ADD? lol

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4317774 - 12/06/16 04:16 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I am playing Extreme G on the Nintendo 64 as well as F Zero on the Super Nintendo.

I'm not joking.

When Steam gave away Dirt 3, it rekindled my love for racing games, and some of the old ones are still the best. smile

#4317788 - 12/06/16 04:47 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I was hoping it was going to be Witcher 3 but after a good few hours in it I'm rather "meh" about it. I might re-purchase the new Skyrim and play that instead if it pops on sale between now & Christmas. Otherwise, it'll probably be Crusader Kings II.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4317790 - 12/06/16 04:49 PM Re: perennial question [Re: DM]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: DM
I was hoping it was going to be Witcher 3 but after a good few hours in it I'm rather "meh" about it.
Is it more the story that you just can't get into or is it the gameplay?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/06/16 04:49 PM.

#4317875 - 12/06/16 08:17 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I don't know Jedi lol. It says I have 53 hours. I'm just now at the place in the Apollo core where you
Click to reveal..
realize there is a Xeno infestation within and the prospects of maybe another Alien onboard?!
I haven't even done the DLC stuff. Maybe there was a lot of trial and error at first along with some replaying from previous saves if I died? I am a bit compulsive but I don't think I've done anything but go at it slow. I'm surprised I've gotten this much from it too.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4317913 - 12/06/16 10:55 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

BF1, BF1, BF1 - and the forthcoming DLC.

Otherwise Rocksmith Remastered, Prison Architect, Hitman, and Northern Inferno (I just wish it had the 3D TV view like Jane's Fleet Command)

#4317917 - 12/06/16 11:05 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
I gave up all gaming after reaching lvl 100 in World of Warcraft during the summer. Will devote time now to more reading, taking care of mother who is 93 but still in good health, investing and making plans for retirement

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4317995 - 12/07/16 10:40 AM Re: perennial question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I was hoping it was going to be Witcher 3 but after a good few hours in it I'm rather "meh" about it.
Is it more the story that you just can't get into or is it the gameplay?

I guess the gameplay...? It doesn't seem to be quite what I was hoping. I like to start a game, then as soon as possible wander off the main story and explore the game world, finding the incidental stuff to do. I'm just not getting that experience so far.

To be clear: I realise the problem will be with me smile there are enough opinions about this game from people who's opinions I respect to make me realise that. I'm quite self-aware in that regard.

I find that I'm pulled out of the game each time there's some cut-scene, which seems to happen with almost every encounter.
I find that dangers are in unsurprising and predictable formations (almost always in 4s).
I find the gameplay to be a matter of following the arrows to the next thing, do/watch the thing, then follow the arrows again.
I find that when I try to ignore the current story and try to wander the gameworld, in hardly any time I find myself at the edge of the explorable world and I'm turned around.

OK these problems occur in other games, except the limited gameworld area one. But that one is a biggie for me frown
In Skyrim the first thing I ever did was to lose the arrow-following gameplay and also the nearby POI markers via a mod. I guess it might be possible to similarly mod Witcher 3, but it seems less equipped to allow for finding your way by other means.

(Incidentally, losing the nearby POI markers improves gameplay IMO. It makes you notice the world you're moving through a lot more. You notice little paths, other clues etc. IMO destination arrows and POI markers removes gameplay.)

I dunno, I guess I'm looking for specific gameplay that this game doesn't provide in quite the right way. Oh yeah - and I suck at arcade combat so I like to be able to develop a character that has ranged ability plus some other melee-style combat for when there's no other choice smile in W3 I seem to be stuck in a premade role already. I might guess I can affect this over time but I haven't seen much evidence of this yet.

Last edited by DM; 12/07/16 10:47 AM.

#4318006 - 12/07/16 12:00 PM Re: perennial question [Re: DM]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Oh yeah - and I suck at arcade combat so I like to be able to develop a character that has ranged ability plus some other melee-style combat for when there's no other choice smile in W3 I seem to be stuck in a premade role already. I might guess I can affect this over time but I haven't seen much evidence of this yet.

In W3 you have that hand-held crossbow but it's really ineffective and it seems like it was added as an afterthought by the game designers. The Witcher games have always been about the melee sword combat at its core.

#4318011 - 12/07/16 12:07 PM Re: perennial question [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Oh yeah - and I suck at arcade combat so I like to be able to develop a character that has ranged ability plus some other melee-style combat for when there's no other choice smile in W3 I seem to be stuck in a premade role already. I might guess I can affect this over time but I haven't seen much evidence of this yet.

In W3 you have that hand-held crossbow but it's really ineffective and it seems like it was added as an afterthought by the game designers. The Witcher games have always been about the melee sword combat at its core.

Yeah I saw that crossbow, but as I got it immediately before the Griffin murders me every time I never got to use it (and there didn't seem to be any hint or tutorial so far :/)

I guess I just suck at it biggrin but at least in Skyrim if I suck at something I just try another approach.

#4318035 - 12/07/16 02:25 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Coot]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Coot
I don't know Jedi lol. It says I have 53 hours. I'm just now at the place in the Apollo core where you
Click to reveal..
realize there is a Xeno infestation within and the prospects of maybe another Alien onboard?!
I haven't even done the DLC stuff. Maybe there was a lot of trial and error at first along with some replaying from previous saves if I died? I am a bit compulsive but I don't think I've done anything but go at it slow. I'm surprised I've gotten this much from it too.

You're close to the end, then. I can only guess you've indeed had numerous reloads and restarts or something like that to replay the same areas more than once to get that much time without finishing it.

The Nostromo and the other DLC are actually fairly short. Cool having the original cast voice the Nostromo one, though.

The Jedi Master

#4318038 - 12/07/16 02:31 PM Re: perennial question [Re: Dunolde]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
I couldn't get into Witcher3 either. Just didn't hold my interest. BF1 on the PS4 is where I spend my gaming time just now, with a little bit of RO thrown in. Looking forward to the Vietnam release for RO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.