Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4317258 - 12/04/16 12:57 AM New defeated enemy aircraft behavior?  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
I haven't really seen this nose down, tight spinning behavior very often before for a defeated aircraft, however it appears to be much more common since the latest patch that made a modification to the damage model. Note: in the video I hit the aircraft with many more rounds prior to it going into a spin. It's just edited to the last few moments of the combat.

Has anyone else seen this particular type of behavior more frequently since the DM change in one of the last few patches? I kinda want to say it seems more realistic but wiser minds than mine would know.

Music from the incredible WOFF score by Matt Milne.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4317263 - 12/04/16 01:10 AM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hellshade
I haven't really seen this nose down, tight spinning behavior very often before for a defeated aircraft, however it appears to be much more common since the latest patch that made a modification to the damage model. Note: in the video I hit the aircraft with many more rounds prior to it going into a spin. It's just edited to the last few moments of the combat.

Has anyone else seen this particular type of behavior more frequently since the DM change in one of the last few patches? I kinda want to say it seems more realistic but wiser minds than mine would know.

Music from the incredible WOFF score by Matt Milne.

That is not new to me Hellshade. I have seen it before. Maybe it will prove to be more common now but I can't attest to that because I haven't been flying WOFF since patch 7. RL has been in the way of that.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4317275 - 12/04/16 02:29 AM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

I have seen it before but cannot say if it is more frequent since the patch. Like Robert, it is yet to be downloaded. Sure is cool though!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4317276 - 12/04/16 02:33 AM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Yep, I've seen it as well.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4317308 - 12/04/16 12:04 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
That's pretty cool.

I don't know that I've seen it more now than before. I wonder if it is general damage behavior, or if some aircraft are more prone to it than others.

It looks like a death spiral vs a spin, which would be plausible enough if the pilot was hunched over the controls, wouldn't you think?

#4317330 - 12/04/16 02:54 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I personally hope that it is not defined as the only way to go. I like to see variation in the downing of aircraft. I particularly like they way some swoop and level out in the death spirals repeatedly until impact. I suspect that is what would happen if the pilot is in and out of consciousness of in hands off the stick. some craft would have a tendency to recover themselves automatically without pilot control.

You have to love the way the devs keep us guessing and provide such variation in the scheme of things.

(System_Specs)

#4317331 - 12/04/16 02:59 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Deacon211 Offline
Deacon211  Offline

Louisville, KY
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
I personally hope that it is not defined as the only way to go. I like to see variation in the downing of aircraft. I particularly like they way some swoop and level out in the death spirals repeatedly until impact. I suspect that is what would happen if the pilot is in and out of consciousness of in hands off the stick. some craft would have a tendency to recover themselves automatically without pilot control.

You have to love the way the devs keep us guessing and provide such variation in the scheme of things.

That's very true Robert. Left to its own devices, positively stable planes would continuously seek trimmed flight, stall, then seek it again like they sometimes do in WOFF. It's nice to see a variation in damage behavior, which seems to be my current experience in game.

#4317332 - 12/04/16 03:10 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Hellshade Online content
Hellshade
Hellshade  Online Content
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

+1 and yes, I have still seen the leveling off and then death spiral behavior too.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4317351 - 12/04/16 05:45 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

With the recent changes you will generally have less lift when some wings are missing or heavily damaged. Landing on just two wings although sometimes possible will be harder than before. Aircraft will therefore more likely have a nose down attitude when wings are missing. It will also mean more AI and players die. Of course some craft are better/worse than others and it will depend on which wings and so on.

Losing a wing or part of, was not a minor thing for sure, most of the time you'd be dead.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4317357 - 12/04/16 06:20 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Pol, I like that change. Now, if can add 1000 more hit boxes to each plane, you'd have a DM closer to becoming a masterpiece.... biggrin

#4317363 - 12/04/16 07:41 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: OldHat]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: OldHat
Pol, I like that change. Now, if can add 1000 more hit boxes to each plane, you'd have a DM closer to becoming a masterpiece.... biggrin

Oldhat;

Maybe you need a feature to add two punt guns to your manifold instead of machine guns. Oh, and don't forget to load them with buckshot! biggrin

You won't have to worry about getting up close and personal!

Punt Gun

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 12/04/16 07:46 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4317367 - 12/04/16 08:05 PM Re: New defeated enemy aircraft behavior? [Re: Hellshade]  
OldHat Offline
OldHat  Offline

Haha. That's a gigantic gun. I've never seen it before.

You misunderstand what is meant by adding hit boxes. Let me give you an example which may or may not already be represented inside WOFF, but as a general example. An engine may have 10 hit boxes of a fixed size that covers the whole engine. If any one of those boxes get hit, then you've hit a certain part of the engine. The damaged engine should show damage depending on the part that was hit. So, you have basically 10 different engine damage effects that will show in the game. If you add another 100 hit boxes to the same engine, then you've added 100 additional effects.

So, if you hit a fuel line, it will leak. But add more hit boxes with effects then you may get a major or minor leak, closer to the engine block or the pilot, reserve or main tank, etc.... The same is true for any part of the plane or the pilot. Hit one arm or both, one leg or both, chest or foot and get different effects like limited use of or unable to use the control stick or rudder, loss of blood or aching foot, etc... each hit box will give a different in game effect. Therefore, the more hit boxes, the more effects.

EDIT: of course you would also need to add additional lines of code....Maybe one day when the devs get a larger team.

Last edited by OldHat; 12/04/16 08:14 PM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM