Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4315195 - 11/25/16 07:28 PM What happened to the original SB?  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Why not put it on gog.com for $4.99?

I'm still waiting for SBPro to be put on Steam.

100x$125 = $1,250

1000x$60 = $60,000

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4315212 - 11/25/16 08:44 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

The original SB (SB Gold beeing the latest itteration) is not updated anymore.

Steam? AFAIK Ssnake, it ain't gonna happen

PS.: But 1000x125=125.000 $ yep

Last edited by Ronin_GE; 11/25/16 08:45 PM.

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4315270 - 11/26/16 01:44 AM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

Ronin is correct rezerekted.
Unless there has been a change in policy from esim.
Ssnake had ruled out using steam in the past
Explore the time licence option.

#4315351 - 11/26/16 10:18 AM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Amaroq Offline
Amaroq  Offline

Europe
Valve wants a 30% cut of your sales IIRC. If $125 offers eSim an acceptable profit margin, they'd have to sell SBpro on Steam for $190 or expect to sell 50% more copies by moving to steam. Both is not realistic.

Selling the original Steel Beasts on gog.com would be awesome however and I don't see a downside to that.

Don Quixote's misfortune is not his imagination, but Sancho Panza.
#4315578 - 11/27/16 11:03 AM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
To me, selling a computer software, for no matter how low a price, implies rendering technical support for it. And both my ability and my inclination to render support for an eight bit color mode, 640x480 pixel resoluted DirectX 7 application, when most graphics card drivers these days don't even support such a mode any more ... well, let me just say that you couldn't pay me enough money.
My ability to render support is a finite resource. Every moment that I spend supporting SB1 is a moment that I cannot spend working on our current product. Therefore, and particularly if it went for just a few bucks, supporting SB1 would be a net loss for eSim Games.

As to Steam, I'm against it because of the related privacy issues. That's merely a matter of our corporate policy. You can buy Steel Beasts directly from us, or second hand through eBay. We don't care. Steam would however remove your ability to sell a used copy of SB Pro PE - so even if it were sold at the same prices you'd still have a net loss in value - and it would isolate us from our customers because all the transactions are now being handled by a middle man, who not only keeps that information to himself, but also enforces a policy of forced middleware updates and who monitors your gaming habits whenever you're online.
I'm not willing to burden our customers with that price.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4316170 - 11/29/16 04:13 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Still better than a USB dongle. copter

#4316176 - 11/29/16 04:21 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: rezerekted
Still better than a USB dongle. copter

With that, I massively disgree..

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#4316510 - 11/30/16 07:38 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: Ssnake]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
and who monitors your gaming habits whenever you're online.

They only monitor the game one plays when playing games registered on Steam. Don't demonized Steam.

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4316685 - 12/01/16 12:19 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
That's what I heard from their mouth. Maybe they were only considering that option in early stages, maybe it's up to the developers to decide how intrusive they want to be. But whether it's just as simple as logging when you play (and when you don't), how log you do it and how often, how many games you own (and which) is already more info than Amazon has about the books and DVDs that you bought. It may be that the remaining behavioral tracking is left to the developer. It may be that it's up to them to create an achievement system that only works online (Civilization 5), that they are generating heatmaps to figure out where people get stumped in levels so subsequent updates make certain passages harder or easier (that IS being done), or if they want to place in-game advertisement based on total user behavior surveillance (something that at least was discussed a while ago).

I'm not demonizing anything. If you chose to ignore what's going on, that's your decision. All that I can say is that eSim Games does not intend to partake in such activities. Therefore we need to find other ways to protect our work. Some of you may not like it, such is life. We will never win 100% of all potential customers, there's always going to be someone who doesn't like this, or that, and therefore refuses to buy. Which is okay. I'm just surprised about the amount of projection that is going on. Everybody seems to assume that we want a massive number of customers, and then makes all kinds of helpful comments to set us on the same track as most other game companies.

Well: We are not like them.

#4316743 - 12/01/16 03:31 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: Ssnake]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
I'm not demonizing anything. If you chose to ignore what's going on, that's your decision.

I am willingly fully aware of my environment. I just don't exaggerate. I have read post from you that were exaggerating situation; like you posted that gamers needed to pay to win when playing World Of Tank.

Besides, I have never read a praise from you concerning another tank game/sim. The bad and the worst are always what you focus on. Steam which was developed by Valve (Half Life) has been helping gamers for years.

Since 9/11 did you have to supply your customer list to some Governmental Agency?

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4317112 - 12/02/16 11:24 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
1) That you have never read any praise that I publicly made about other tank game does not mean that I never wrote any. But of course I don't expect you to read everything that I write. Given my focus on eSim Games trying to create the best (=most realistic, as far as simulation results and procedures are concerned) tank simulation that is commercially available, I naturally am less inclined to pay attention to titles that are clearly meant to be for entertainment purposes only. And where I can't praise, I usually try to keep my mouth shut and maintain a professional attitude.

2) Often I'm trying to explain the reasons why we're NOT doing certain things that some people suggest we should be doing. Naturally I have to focus on those aspects that we don't like, otherwise our attitude would appear utterly irrational. If that comes across as pure negativity - well, it's not intended.

3) As far as the "exaggeration" bit is concerned: To make a point succinctly you sometimes need to sharpen the argument a bit. The alternative are walls of text, which are both neither read, nor do they help me to communicate in a time-efficient manner.

So, for the record: I congratulate the WoT developers for creating a title that gets millions of gamers interested in tanks. Their design decisions aren't mine, and naturally I prefer mine or else I would have made different decisions, but all that said, it's still a good thing for the entire tank-oriented gaming community as a whole.
Likewise the success of Steam as a digital distribution platform is so profound and obvious that it doesn't need my applause for everybody to recognize it for what it is. Nevertheless I stand firm by my statement that the associated privacy issues are serious, and go against our own policies.

4) As to your last question,
a) No,
b) Of course we would comply with court orders, but eSim Games residing in Germany I don't see such a thing happening anytime soon.

That said, I don't think that the NSA would need our cooperation, but that's just a suspicion.

#4336643 - 02/12/17 06:42 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: Ssnake]  
FlightJunkie Offline
FlightJunkie  Offline

Bottom of the sea
To me, selling a computer software, for no matter how low a price, implies rendering technical support for it. And both my ability and my inclination to render support for an eight bit color mode, 640x480 pixel resoluted DirectX 7 application, when most graphics card drivers these days don't even support such a mode any more ... well, let me just say that you couldn't pay me enough money.
My ability to render support is a finite resource. Every moment that I spend supporting SB1 is a moment that I cannot spend working on our current product. Therefore, and particularly if it went for just a few bucks, supporting SB1 would be a net loss for eSim Games.

So I suppose getting it as abandonware is not a problem?

#4336730 - 02/13/17 12:52 AM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
If you want moral cover from me for using an illegal copy - no, you won't get it. We're not selling the original Steel Beasts anymore, but that doesn't mean that we're forfeiting our copyright. We're just no longer allowing copies to be made. There is no legal term that would be the equivalent of "abandonware". All software, unless it's REALLY old, or released under a suitable license, is copyright protected, period.

We have no moral or legal obligation to keep a software for sale that has been discontinued more than a decade ago. I'd rather offer you our current version of Steel Beasts Pro PE (4.0) - which is infinitely better than version 1 anyway.

#4336746 - 02/13/17 01:31 AM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: Ssnake]  
marko1231123 Offline
marko1231123  Offline

We have no moral or legal obligation to keep a software for sale that has been discontinued more than a decade ago. I'd rather offer you our current version of Steel Beasts Pro PE (4.0) - which is infinitely better than version 1 anyway. [/quote]

+1.
The 4.0 version is considerably better in every way.
The legacy was very good in its day, but that was over ten years ago.
I would recommend buying the licence version you cant go wrong if you wont to give it a try ten euro will give you a months trial
25 euro for three months and 40 euro for a years subscription. give or take a couple of cents.

#4337693 - 02/15/17 05:44 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Sturmtiger Offline
Sturmtiger  Offline

USA
Legally the term 'abandonware' means absolutely nothing.

The only reason companies do not go after these sites is because they are extinct or realize they would get close to nothing suing them.The value of 10+ year old software is not much.

Saying that, I think it is horrendous to see places selling copies of ancient software for 100 to 200 dollars.

Last edited by Sturmtiger; 02/15/17 05:45 PM.
#4338604 - 02/18/17 04:50 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

I fire up SB Gold on occasion on my old laptop that I travel with. The laptop probably has about the value of a 10 year old smartphone (IE none), so the risk of it being stolen is about nil. I keep it loaded up with older games that only run in an XP or older environment, and don't have any data of any real value (besides my saves of course!). It serves perfectly well to check email, and word process as work requires as well.

I find SB Gold to still be quite enjoyable, and it is still an excellent product once you move beyond the visuals. Thrashing a Warsaw mech battalion while I wait for my flight is a nice diversion. I do however absolutely understand Ssnake's stance on it as supporting it for the modern computing audience.

Question to Ssnake, as you guys are supporting it, or selling it anymore, would it be possible to release the source for freeware use? There have been quite a few titles that have continued to thrive for years beyond their commercial releases due to this. Just curious.

-Jenrick

#4338670 - 02/18/17 09:10 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Absolutely NOT.

There are still elements in it that today's Steel Beasts uses. We're not helping our competitors with releasing even an old source, no way. Also, and I think this is pretty obvious, it is not in our interest at all to help keeping a software alive (and be it through extensive fan mods) that functionally competes with today's Steel Beasts, and therefore cuts into our sales.

I'm all for providing you with the best armor simulation that we can possibly develop. We're offering SB Pro PE at a price that is heavily subsidized by the classroom version. While we do SELL it, we're not really making money from it. BUT we want our users to have "skin in the game", to contribute something to the development. So - no freebies, I'm sorry.

#4340518 - 02/26/17 09:11 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: Ssnake]  
FlightJunkie Offline
FlightJunkie  Offline

Bottom of the sea
Originally Posted by Ssnake

We have no moral or legal obligation to keep a software for sale that has been discontinued more than a decade ago. I'd rather offer you our current version of Steel Beasts Pro PE (4.0) - which is infinitely better than version 1 anyway.

Originally Posted by marko1231123
+1.
The 4.0 version is considerably better in every way.
The legacy was very good in its day, but that was over ten years ago.

Undoubtedly so, but I think you overestimate the reasons one would want SB gold. Tank sims are hard to come by nowadays. SB gold would be a nice extra option, especially fo those who prefer or cant do better than a low spec machine(im writing from a freaking netbook and still play jane's sims on it). I do not want SB Pro, just because. I want SB Gold. Im contend with it. Im not looking for the ultimate tank sim.

-But sir, this newer vacuum cleaner, can also make coffee, do the dishes, and your wife!
-But I dont want my vacuum to make me coffee, do the dishes and my wife. I just want it to suck crap off the floor.

If you guys catch my drift.

Originally Posted by Ssnake

There are still elements in it that today's Steel Beasts uses. We're not helping our competitors with releasing even an old source, no way. Also, and I think this is pretty obvious, it is not in our interest at all to help keeping a software alive (and be it through extensive fan mods) that functionally competes with today's Steel Beasts, and therefore cuts into our sales.

Concidering that there are not really any competitors and that SB gold is far too old for someone to be able to bring it up to speed with Pro or even somehow utilise it for profit, thats the worst case scenario, which I have never seen it play out. You make it sound like you guys are at the edge of your capacity. Like if you try to support SB Gold in any concievable way, the whole company will crumple. What about a third party support for SB gold that pays a cut to esim?

Alas Im not telling you that you are obligated to do any of that, im just debating.

In anycase, Im getting a Gold copy off of ebay. I was not looking for a free copy, it was about convinience.

#4340544 - 02/26/17 10:58 PM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: FlightJunkie]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by FlightJunkie
Tank sims are hard to come by nowadays. SB gold would be a nice extra option, especially fo those who prefer or cant do better than a low spec machine (im writing from a freaking netbook and still play jane's sims on it).

Well, SB Pro PE runs just fine even on older machines if you're willing to disable all the fancy stuff that makes modern graphics look better than the old software engine of Steel Beasts 1. Like, shadowmapping and antialiasing - you can still get 40+ frames per second like that on effin' Intel integrated graphics (how much lower does it have to get in hardware requirements?). And it still looks leaps and bounds better than SB1.

Also, nobody is stopping you from legally buying a second hand copy from eBay or some other source (which you apparently just did). All I'm saying is that

a) We don't render technical support for a software that we discontinued fourteen years ago
b) We do not provide moral cover for piracy. Downloading it from a "warez" site is illegal, and you can't seriously expect us to lend a hand to legitimize it
c) If you want to reward us for our work, or support us continuing putting out one of those tank sims that are "hard to come by nowadays", we'd love to sell you a copy of SB Pro PE because it does everything that SB1 does, just infinitely better.

At least one tank sim isn't "hard to come by". It's just a download away and licenses are readily available in our web shop, from $9.50 up. And that one tank sim has always been available to you, since August 2000. If you don't want to spend any money on it, that's perfectly fine. It's your money, and your decision how to spend it. I'm not here to tell you that "SB Pro is what you need". But don't tell me that you (not specifically you, but "you" as a representative of the group of people who want SB1 from us) have a right as a consumer to get to pick what we should be putting up on sale.

eSim Games is a business, not a charity. In a free market, you simply have to respect our decision to not sell a certain product but rather offer something else. And if I'm telling you that making the source code of SB1 available to a third party is not an option for us, this isn't just a mere opinion, it carries weight. It's a carefully considered position.

#4340967 - 02/28/17 04:07 AM Re: What happened to the original SB? [Re: rezerekted]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Well said Ssnake.
But 14 years later, I am still wishing Esims would have made a WW2 version. Life is what it is. If you want something bad enough then you have only your self, family and friends to make it happen. If it is an opus, then you will loose family and friends. Sorry, I ramble.

Well done Esims, for 14 years you have given me a bar to set my expectations against. Your business model is as exceptional as your product. and your staff.
It has been an enlightening time.
Brit44'Aldo'

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.