Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4311608 - 11/13/16 12:54 AM Black Jacket Symphony's Dark Side of the Moon cover, Jan. 7th  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
http://www.blackjacketsymphony.com/

<Not really a "symphony">

Baton Rouge River Center, just purchased 10th row center.

Despite rave reviews, I was hesitant about this one. The Black Jacket Symphony, as I understand it, is a group of various musicians from Birmingham, AL, who cover Classic Rock albums in their entirety (no improvising, "note for note" is their claim), plus various other hits from the album's artist. They change up members (especially vocalists) to cover specific albums.

Their album-centric shows include:

Queen's "A Night at the Opera"
Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"
Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours"
Eagles' "Hotel California"
Journey's "Escape"
The Beatles' "Abbey Road"
David Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars"
Prince's "Purple Rain"
Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Second Helping"
Led Zeppelin's "Led Zeppelin II"
The Beatles' "Revolver"

That Saturday evening (Jan. 7th) will be two days prior to our 29th Wedding Anniversary (I'm mindful of such dates these days wink ) and I wanted us to spend the evening in downtown Baton Rouge (might also book a hotel room, if they're not too expensive). It would be nice to park at a hotel and walk the downtown area and then to the arena (not far at all) without worrying about driving until later the next morning.

The bad news is that Baton Rouge is getting...
Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJagpyomySE

Ok, my all-time favorite album (see "Favourite album" thread), so what am I complaining about? Bah! We did the Pink Floyd tribute not so long ago in Houston (although Brit Floyd didn't play the entire DSotM). Pink Floyd and Rush are two of my favorite bands, but not really the best music for celebrating your anniversary (still better than Metallica wink ).

On a normal night I would have picked any number of albums from that list, but for this particular evening I would have chosen Journey's "Escape" or Prince's "Purple Rain". So I'm a little bummed about that part, but I know we'll have a great time anyway. The ultimate (again, for this particular evening) would have been REO Speedwagon's "Hi Infidelity" plus other REO hits.

Listening to YT videos (which can be deceptive vs. live), I don't think The Black Jacket Symphony can compare to Brit Floyd who had such a freggin' awesome sound! But like I've said numerous times, at least I can still enjoy my favorite "oldies" music live.

We have The Molly Ringwalds on Dec. 30th and Billy Joel (New Orleans) on Feb. 10th so I have plenty of live music coming up to look forward to.

Since these guys are in Alabama, they play Montgomery and Birmingham allot, not *that* far from me, I might make a road trip one day to hear one of the other shows if I like this one enough.

Other shows...
http://www.blackjacketsymphony.com/shows

I'll report back.

Last edited by MarkG; 11/13/16 01:49 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4346100 - 03/22/17 04:55 PM Re: Black Jacket Symphony's Dark Side of the Moon cover, Jan. 7th [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I realize this is old, sorry, just wanted to add a couple of pics and give my opinion of the show.

Black Jacket Symphony was...ok. The first half ("Dark Side of the Moon") was a little disappointing, took a while to get the sound right (too low) and, I dunno, after seeing Brit Floyd there was no comparison really. Lots of people around us seemed pleased enough so maybe I'm being too harsh.

The second half saved the show, IMO. Not only did the sound improve, their playing seemed to improve as well, they did better on various hits from misc. albums than the complete Dark Side album, I would have expected the opposite. We'll see them again if they play some of the other albums in my first post, but not another Pink Floyd show, especially after seeing Brit Floyd who were freaking phenomenal.

I noticed ZoSo (Led Zeppelin tribute) is coming back. This is a tough one, because it seems we just did this one but they were so good (that entire evening was awesome, even the starter band was good). It's not like I'm hurting for music dates (also a ballet, jazz and symphony coming up), but man that was a good show. We missed the Ozzy tribute show because some of the roads were iced over that evening (hadn't bought tickets yet so nothing lost), I'm hoping it returns soon.

Attached Files BJS_1.jpgBJS_2.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4346110 - 03/22/17 05:18 PM Re: Black Jacket Symphony's Dark Side of the Moon cover, Jan. 7th [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wow. Ok, check this out...

Black Jacket is about to play Led Zeppelin IV (plus hits) in Baton Rouge, Mar. 31...
http://www.blackjacketsymphony.com/shows

$22.00 to $45.00

ZoSo is coming back to the Varsity, May 13...
http://www.zosoontour.com/tourdates/

$13.00, and I'm sure we'll have our regular spot, front and center/right side of stage. No contest.

EDIT: First pic was starter band.

Attached Files ZOSO_01.jpgZOSO_07.jpgZOSO_08.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4346457 - 03/24/17 03:48 AM Re: Black Jacket Symphony's Dark Side of the Moon cover, Jan. 7th [Re: MarkG]  
WOLF257 Offline
Professional Cynic
WOLF257  Offline
Professional Cynic
Hotshot

Alabama
I saw them do the Dark Side Of The Moon concert in Gadsden, Al recently and the line-up was different from the one in the YT video you posted.
I really enjoyed it and they did a great job, I suspect the show you get depends in great part on the particular lineup you see since it appears they change up quite a bit.

#4346507 - 03/24/17 01:18 PM Re: Black Jacket Symphony's Dark Side of the Moon cover, Jan. 7th [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Very good, WOLF257. Actually, the lineup we saw was different than the YT video as well, hard to tell with my crappy pics though. The lead guy had a large beard, not sure about the others. I think you're right though, they change up allot.

It really wasn't bad, it's just that Brit Floyd was so incredible for about the same price.

My Brit Floyd vacation (with cleaned-up pics)...
Brit Floyd coming to North America!

I haven't checked in a couple of weeks, I see Brit Floyd is coming back...
http://www.britfloyd.com/tour-dates/215-north-america-2017

Tue 13th June Revention Music Center Houston TX

We're going to discuss and research tonight after Molly Ringwalds, I've love to do it again, maybe in another city.

++++++++++

Now, when the Black Jacket Symphony goes back to Skynyrd ("Second Helping")...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_yhkGvbpWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKiWQrn_yQ

Oh man, I'm so there! cheers I do like the way these guys play an entire album through, take an intermission and then play all the other hits from various albums. Eagles "Hotel California" would be great, and some others on their list!

The sun is in the east
#4346519 - 03/24/17 02:11 PM Re: Black Jacket Symphony's Dark Side of the Moon cover, Jan. 7th [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Want to mention something I find odd (see pic)...

$85.00 - $221.00?! Seriously? $85.00/ticket minimum for Lynyrd Skynyrd, when they have what, maybe two original members left? I was also going to say, and at the "Golden Nugget" in Lake Charles, LA?! Although, wow, this place gets some well known acts...

Little River Band
Boston
Toto

...among others, although Huey Lewis and the News would also be fun (scroll down for more)...
http://www.goldennugget.com/lakecharles/show.asp

But, nah. I'd just as well hear "Keep on Loving You" and "Take it on the Run" covers from The Molly Ringwalds for $10.00-$15.00 while standing and swaying with my Mrs. in front of the stage than sitting down, possibly way back, hearing REO Speedwagon play them for $70.00-$195.00 a ticket!

Some of the prices for these washed-up bands are ridiculous, IMO.

Attached Files LS_Price.jpg

The sun is in the east

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.