Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4306855 - 10/27/16 04:44 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Murphy for you I recommend a shotgun with a 32" barrel and a long knife duck-tapped to the end of it to poke at the bears if they get too close

biggrin

I love my coach gun ...it's "purty" and its only intended for in-house use as far as I'm concerned and I am pretty sure that if a few bad guys see those shiny, nickle-plated, double barrels pointed in their faces that they will run over each other trying to get out of the house without asking each other if he was pointing an 18" barrel or a 20"

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4306881 - 10/27/16 06:32 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted By: VF9_Longbow
i dunno, maybe it depends on each person, but in the tests i did i was consistently more accurate (though maybe slightly slower) with the laser than without it.

the test i did was to run 1KM as fast as i could, uphill, get the shotgun off my back, spin around a few times with my eyes closed then take a shot at a target i had set up on a tree.

maybe it sounds ridiculous but i think that the extreme heart pounding and the dizziness simulate a massive adrenaline dump fairly well. it was also freezing cold when i did this, without gloves, so i figure i lost a lot of finger dexterity as well. without the laser i had a lot more shots hitting the fringes of the target rather than the center of it. with the laser i don't think i missed even one time.

laser also has the benefit of letting you fire from the hip rather than through the sights. even at close range without sighting a target, a hit is not a guarantee - someone at the end of a hallway is just small enough to be missed by a panicky quick shot. just my opinion tho!

If you're not used to shooting a shotgun it may be of some use, but outside of certain specific situations, like having to immediately clear a dark interior area after being in bright sunlight, I've never seen lasers being recommended by tactical shotgun instructors.

Once you get the basics down, it's the most intuitive and fastest firearm type there is, within its rather short effective range of course.

Check out this guy:

Murph, one of the nice things about a double is that their receivers are shorter than that of most pumps and autoloaders, so you end up with a shorter overall length for a given barrel length. IMO, 20" bbls are perfectly fine on a "coach gun". Speaking of coach gun, the term dates back to the Old West, when the security guard who rode "shotgun" on stage coaches carried a gun of that configuration.

#4306885 - 10/27/16 06:39 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Yep, it's 'purdy'.

The 2" would just be so you can swing it around easier, but whatever you like is what counts.
Just hope you don't have to 'go into action' with it.
Nobody wants that. wink

I had a blue steel 18" double barrel. I was a rookie when I bought it, and a year later they wouldn't let us carry them in the car anymore, so I sold to a guy who worked homicide.
He....had an.....'accidental discharge' with it. Long story.

But I sure wish I'd have kept that thing.
No triggers though, but a mean machine. wink

The one thing I can say....I'm sorry I ever sold any weapon I've ever owned.
Never should have sold any of them.
Financial and otherwise, it was a mistake.

KEEP 'EM ALL!!!! ...... lol....

Edit;
BTW....Crane, that's where I got the 18" from. Most of the ones on the stage coaches were...18".
In the states the overall length has to be at least 28" for a shot gun.
But that makes the perfect length for the bbl....18". Anything longer, is just extra as far as I'm concerned biggrin

"Murphy's Law"
#4306894 - 10/27/16 07:10 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I don't find a big difference in handiness unless you start getting well into "NFA" barrel lengths, like 14" or less.

That's short enough where the shouldered gun sticks out about the same distance a handgun would with the arm extended, and when you can take it sideways through a standard sized doorway without having to angle it much.

Trouble is, when they're that short they're very "blasty", especially in closed spaces, even with full hearing protection its a shock to the system.

#4306918 - 10/27/16 08:06 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Murphy ...
"The one thing I can say....I'm sorry I ever sold any weapon I've ever owned.
Never should have sold any of them.
Financial and otherwise, it was a mistake.

KEEP 'EM ALL!!!! ...... lol...."

so darn true .... 40 years ago i sold my dad's Army .45 ...... oh Murph, wish you hadn't even reminded me

nope

#4308069 - 11/01/16 04:33 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Comrade_Hedgehog Offline
Comrade_Hedgehog  Offline

The Sticks, England.
Stoeger??

Who the f**k are they?
No, Haggart if you want a SBS shotgun go old school:

http://www.purdey.com/guns-rifles/hammer-guns/

or

https://www.hollandandholland.com/gun-room/royal-side-side-shotgun/
(They have a show room in Dallas)

That way you blind them with majesty as well as muzzle blast.

:P

Its not the bullet with your name on it you have to worry about.
But the one addressed:
"To Whom It May Concern"
#4308226 - 11/02/16 12:46 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
Nice shotgun.

Not a personal fan of shotguns for home defense. Too bulky in an enclosed room, in the dark when you don't know what is on the other side of the wall. That sound of racking a round though, definitely gets some attention.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#4308290 - 11/02/16 11:16 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Wklink]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
thanks Tom - i call it my "feel good" weapon, because as has already been pointed out here by others, shotguns can have a strong "deterrent" affect. In any case, its now 1 of 3 firearms i have in different living areas of the house.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.