#4306381 - 10/26/16 04:08 AM Love My New Home Defense Weapon  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
http://www.armslist.com/posts/2105646/bi...ga--coach-gun--
(the one shown is a 20g but mine is 12g)
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/coach-guns-single-and-double-trigger-shotguns

Stoeger coachgun, two triggers, black stock, nickle plated, side x side

Bought 5 shot turkey load for good spread

I replaced the hard plastic recoil pad with a black rubber one

Even if you can't hit the side of a red barn you won't miss with this coachgun

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4306386 - 10/26/16 05:22 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Richardg Offline
Richardg  Offline

Nice piece. Get rid of the birdshot. Only use buckshot when your shooting two legged critters.

#4306399 - 10/26/16 06:45 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Number 4 buckshot is the minimum I'd go with, and even then only for across-the-room range.

I don't know about anyone else but I really like side-by-sides and over-and-unders, IMO they're the best shotgun you can have for those first two shots at any rate.

#4306432 - 10/26/16 10:58 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Nice! I was considering something similar but they are like 500EUR up...

#4306439 - 10/26/16 11:36 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
thanks ! I have several co-workers who are ex-police and they recommended turkey shot to me instead of buckshot. I also was going to buy buckshot but they said i would get better spread with turkey shot and without necessarily killing them. Not disagreeing with any of you just saying that's what i was told.

But since its a double barrel i could always load 5 shot in one and buckshot in the other

biggrin

#4306440 - 10/26/16 11:42 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
LOL...just want to wing them. hahaha

Got news for you Hag, if you feel threatened enough to fire a shotgun at someone you had better kill them. Unless you are being attacked by Turkey Lives Matter Birds.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4306443 - 10/26/16 11:55 AM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
found this article on the subject:

"I think No. 1 buckshot is the most efficient of loads for self-defense"

http://www.offthegridnews.com/self-defense/the-best-shotgun-ammo-for-home-defense/

reading

#4306463 - 10/26/16 12:50 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Federal Flight Control No. 1 Buckshot - The one to use for Self Defense.

At 20 yards, the Flight Control has a pattern no larger than a GOLF BALL.
Conversely, the 00 shot is in a 1 foot pattern.

Beyond that, it is not so great. But then, most people aren't going to shoot over 75' distances in their home.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4306466 - 10/26/16 12:55 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Oh an Haggart, if you are shooting someone, it is never to wound. It is "to stop the threat."

A wounded person can still kill you.

I like to reference the man who broke into a house, and the lady he was trying to assault shot him 6 times point blank with a .38 while protecting herself and her kids in the attic.
He told her "Stop shooting me!" and then left the house. And was able to drive himself 2 miles before he collapsed and died from blood loss.

A guy attacking you with a knife still has 30 seconds after you collapse his lungs with a firearm.

Rethink your gameplan.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4306470 - 10/26/16 01:10 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Yea I'll use the small box of 5's i got at the outdoor range and I'll get the box you recommended, thanks Bill

#4306495 - 10/26/16 01:51 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
Federal Flight Control No. 1 Buckshot - The one to use for Self Defense.

At 20 yards, the Flight Control has a pattern no larger than a GOLF BALL.
Conversely, the 00 shot is in a 1 foot pattern.

Beyond that, it is not so great. But then, most people aren't going to shoot over 75' distances in their home.

I agree with all that. It just made me think of every argument I've ever had over loads with folks, or for that matter, practice distances with carry guns.

"Why are you shooting so close?"

"That's 12 yards. Here I'll move it to more realistic distance if that makes you happy."

"You moved it closer!"

"That's 7 yards. I dont know about you, but I'm pretty sure the average mugging/robbery/assault or anything where I'd be justified shooting anyone takes place a lot closer than 36'."

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4306506 - 10/26/16 02:13 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
A laser sight will do more to improve your odds of hitting the target than using birdshot or small buckshot ever will.

Magpul did a video on shotguns once and showed how even at close ranges there was no useful difference between buckshot and birdshot at close ranges. Might as well hit the guy with everything you can rather than pepper him with bb's he can pick out later.

Laser sight will make you hit the target every time. They are a good investment.

#4306637 - 10/26/16 09:22 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I'm not a big fan of the FliteControl buckshot out of a hunting context or a last resort for a shotgun that patterns horribly.

IMO you want something that starts to open up evenly at a range where a little margin for error starts to become welcome.

Granted, home defense distances are likely to be too close for that to happen with any buckshot, but if that's the case why use expensive FliteControl when even the cheapest stuff will do?

I'm also not convinced that a laser sight is needed on a shotgun unless maybe conditions are such that you can't see your gun well enough for a visual reference.

Lasers are distracting and shotguns using shot are meant to "pointed" moreso than aimed, as in once you properly mount it, it should shoot where you're looking at without having to worry too much about a sight picture.

#4306642 - 10/26/16 09:40 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Nixer]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Nixer

Got news for you Hag, if you feel threatened enough to fire a shotgun at someone you had better kill them. Unless you are being attacked by Turkey Lives Matter Birds.

This was my first thought as well. You open yourself up to civil lawsuits if you dont shoot to kill. The reasoning is that you didnt feel your life was in danger else you would have used a gun that actually had a change to kill. So you specifically shot them to wound them instead of resolving the issue. (not saying that is right but thats the general thought behind it.)

SO... 10ga slugs it is!

#4306660 - 10/26/16 10:42 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Master]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Master
Originally Posted By: Nixer

This was my first thought as well. You open yourself up to civil lawsuits if you dont shoot to kill. The reasoning is that you didnt feel your life was in danger else you would have used a gun that actually had a change to kill. So you specifically shot them to wound them instead of resolving the issue. (not saying that is right but thats the general thought behind it.)

SO... 10ga slugs it is!

If you shoot a firearm at someone, you are looking at a possible civil suit regardless. The possible exception being in a state such as Florida that has a law protecting you from a civil suit if the shooting was determined to be justifiable self defense during a criminal investigation/trial.

Where intentionally shooting to wound (and letting it be known that was what you were attempting) opens a door that you don't want opened is in a criminal trial. You utilized potentially lethal force when (by implication) you apparently had not concluded that you were in danger of death or grave bodily injury.

Folks... when you are shooting in lawful self defense, you are not shooting to wound, and you are not shooting to kill. You are shooting to stop the threat of death or grave bodily injury. Burn that into your minds.

If the attacker happens to die as a result... well, the attacker should have made a better choice.

#4306671 - 10/26/16 11:38 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Also dont make any trigger modifications to your defense weapon. They can use that as intent to shoot without the need for stopping a threat. Because why else would you make it "fun" to shoot unless you meant to use that fun to kill people. (what a #%&*$# up world we live in...)

but... Really nice gun! Made me spend about an hour looking at various coach guns and saying to myself, "no, you really dont need one of those."

#4306825 - 10/27/16 02:56 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Birdshot? You're safer just not having a shotgun in the house.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4306829 - 10/27/16 03:28 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Crane Hunter]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
i dunno, maybe it depends on each person, but in the tests i did i was consistently more accurate (though maybe slightly slower) with the laser than without it.

the test i did was to run 1KM as fast as i could, uphill, get the shotgun off my back, spin around a few times with my eyes closed then take a shot at a target i had set up on a tree.

maybe it sounds ridiculous but i think that the extreme heart pounding and the dizziness simulate a massive adrenaline dump fairly well. it was also freezing cold when i did this, without gloves, so i figure i lost a lot of finger dexterity as well. without the laser i had a lot more shots hitting the fringes of the target rather than the center of it. with the laser i don't think i missed even one time.

laser also has the benefit of letting you fire from the hip rather than through the sights. even at close range without sighting a target, a hit is not a guarantee - someone at the end of a hallway is just small enough to be missed by a panicky quick shot. just my opinion tho!

Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
I'm not a big fan of the FliteControl buckshot out of a hunting context or a last resort for a shotgun that patterns horribly.

IMO you want something that starts to open up evenly at a range where a little margin for error starts to become welcome.

Granted, home defense distances are likely to be too close for that to happen with any buckshot, but if that's the case why use expensive FliteControl when even the cheapest stuff will do?

I'm also not convinced that a laser sight is needed on a shotgun unless maybe conditions are such that you can't see your gun well enough for a visual reference.

Lasers are distracting and shotguns using shot are meant to "pointed" moreso than aimed, as in once you properly mount it, it should shoot where you're looking at without having to worry too much about a sight picture.

#4306837 - 10/27/16 03:50 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Haggart]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
The gun industry is highly dependent on selling things people think they need (like any sporting industry) so if it looks cool to you more power to you. That being said to rely on it as your primary aiming method is to use a crutch to make up for a lack of skill, plain and simple.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4306840 - 10/27/16 04:06 PM Re: Love My New Home Defense Weapon [Re: Peally]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: Peally
The gun industry is highly dependent on selling things people think they need .....(edit).

Yep, I'm sure we all have those type of weapons..... wink

As for the 'coach gun'....I would have preferred it with 18" bbls.
20" just seems an odd length, to me. Too long to move around, and too short for distance.
18" would be a nice length for close up, for me.
I've hit several bears with rubber sabots at well over 25 yds with an 18" pump.

Isn't the standard 'coach gun' equipped with 18" barrels.

"Murphy's Law"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.