Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4305548 - 10/22/16 09:12 PM This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
I can`t believe the California National Guard is doing this.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-national-guard-bonus-20161020-snap-story.html

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4305553 - 10/22/16 09:21 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

While it seems some mistakes were made in California let's not overlook the Pentagon's role in this mess.

Seems to me California in this case had a slight resemblance to those Wells Fargo employees....

"Now the Pentagon is demanding the money back."

"Investigations have determined that lack of oversight allowed for widespread fraud and mismanagement by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets.

"The problem offers a dark perspective on the Pentagons use of hefty cash incentives to fill its all-volunteer force during the longest era of warfare in the nations history"

"At the end of the day, the soldiers ended up paying the largest price, said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, deputy commander of the California Guard. Wed be more than happy to absolve these people of their debts. We just cant do it. Wed be breaking the law."

There's more in the article.

#4305566 - 10/22/16 10:28 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: JimK
I can`t believe the California National Guard is doing this.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-national-guard-bonus-20161020-snap-story.html

Friggin' outrageous!

#4305614 - 10/23/16 03:30 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
"Like other branches of service, the Guard used enlistment bonuses to entice more people to enter the ranks a decade ago during the U.S.-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, California Guard officials were found guilty of mismanaging the program.

Indeed, eight current or former members of the California National Guard in 2014 were indicted on federal charges for fraudulently obtaining recruiting referral bonuses, according to The Associated Press."

Military.com Article

Unfortunately, the government will get its money back from the service members. They always do no matter who's at fault.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4305628 - 10/23/16 04:28 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
"Robert DAndrea, a retired Army major and Iraq veteran, was told to return a $20,000 bonus he received in 2008 because auditors could not find a copy of the contract he says he signed"

C.Y.A. ..... good grief always keep a copy of a contract in a safe place

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4305629 - 10/23/16 04:29 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Please do not comment on my post. I do not wish this thread moved to PWEC, but I feel the need to voice my thought.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the government will get its money back from the service members. They always do no matter who's at fault.

Why, as a people, do we accept that the victim of a crime be held responsible. Corruption is not the fault of the victim. These people performed the service that was asked for the pay offered. The perpetrator of the crime was a member of the government. The government is asking it's victims to pay for it's own corruption.

If up sell pot for an illegal dealer and the dealer is busted, should you be required to reimburse the people who bought from you?

Admin, delete my post if it is PWEC, but please do not remove the thread. The story of what is being done to these people needs to be publicized.

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#4305630 - 10/23/16 04:29 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Whoa. Nice to see you again Haggart! I thought you might have volunteered for the first manned expedition to Mars or something!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4305631 - 10/23/16 04:34 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Panzer you old goat, lol !

Panzer you know me by now .... sometimes i hang around for a few ...then disappear for a few smile

#4305636 - 10/23/16 05:00 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I'm sensing another global tragedy approaching.
Seems you always appear just prior to those biggrin

"Murphy's Law"
#4305638 - 10/23/16 05:05 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: Murphy]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
I swear Murphy I did not ask that man to post this
biggrin

#4305651 - 10/23/16 07:07 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
FlashBurn Offline
FlashBurn  Offline

Washington State, USA
It goes beyond that. Reserve and Guard members are having to "pay back" service connected disability if they got it while still in. Its all over the place right now. And before you burn CA guard over the fire, its Federal laws that are doing it. EI...Congress.

#4305655 - 10/23/16 07:55 AM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It must be a Guard thing, because I went through something similar, but weirder, in the Regular Army (RA).

I had some Reserve and ROTC time before I went RA, and there was a break in service, so when I sat down in finance as a Private some clerk rectified all of it and calculated what my Basic Paid Entry Date (BPED) was. The BPED determines one's longevity pay increases.

Except he screwed it up. He gave me six months more than I should have had. I didn't question his stubby pencil work (1987 was big on computer hype in the Army, but not much more than that), as I didn't know anything about the Army pay or personnel system at the time.

In the course of my 23 years in the RA my records had been reviewed many times, and nobody caught it.

After I retired, some spring butt did a recalculation.

They then went back from day one and figured out how much they had overpaid me by month in that six month window as I went over two years service, four years service, etc. It was laughably small amounts, especially starting out (six dollars, I think it was), but snowballed over 23 years it came to a little over 16,000 dollars - which they demanded be paid back in a lump sum.

Oh, horse sh*t.

After a couple of phone calls I got a hold of someone with their head in the right place who told me exactly how to appeal to have it vacated, as that money was long gone from the Federal Government's budget, there was absolutely no malfeasance on my part, and, most importantly, it was chicken sh*t bullsh*t.

The review panel was a bit shocked that they would dip all the way back to the Reagan administration to milk me, and sent me a nice letter saying that not only were they vacating the debt, but apologized for the whole matter in the first place.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4305726 - 10/23/16 04:14 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The problem here is that they have proof that the money changed hands but no proof of why the money changed hands. SO unless these people can prove why they received the money it looks like they are involved in a corupt money transaction. They need to either prove that they received it legitimately via a contract or prove that they didnt receive it via bank transactions.

I dont think this story is as one sided as the report makes it seem. I wouldnt be surprised if some of this money paid out illegally. IE the bonus was only supposed to be 5k but they gave the guy 10k then kept 10k for themselves. (or something like that).

#4305727 - 10/23/16 04:14 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Awesome story Dart. I'm glad that worked out in your favor.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4305740 - 10/23/16 04:41 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Not quite the same as having to pay back thousands and sometimes clerical errors occur (CA NG doesn't sound like an error though), but while I was in Afghanistan I received hostile fire pay. It was a "bonus" of about $225 a month. My unit transferred to Kuwait and they paid me another month of hostile fire pay (not authorized for that location) and about a year later they figured it out and took it all back in a lump sum out of my pay check, and only let me know a couple of weeks after they took it back. I hadn't even paid any attention to it at the time, I was busy doing deployment stuff, so it took me by surprise when my pay check came up short.

So unless you can contest it, the government always gets its money back.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4305747 - 10/23/16 05:27 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
you can certainly successfully contest many government actions against you but the key is to have the needed documentation and/or a good attorney skilled in Federal workforce matters

#4305748 - 10/23/16 05:27 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
when are the guys in uniform gonna learn... they better start thinking about the 2nd Amendment and how to use it.

[Signature deleted]
#4305751 - 10/23/16 05:43 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
Oh and another thing... why not go after the thousands of 3rd world 'immigrants' who have been stealing city-state-federal free services and money every month for YEARS... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why do that when they are the dem's block voters and the repub's cheap labor... nooooooooooooooooo

[Signature deleted]
#4305769 - 10/23/16 07:55 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: W-Molders]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: W-Molders
Oh and another thing... why not go after the thousands of 3rd world 'immigrants' who have been stealing city-state-federal free services and money every month for YEARS... nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why do that when they are the dem's block voters and the repub's cheap labor... nooooooooooooooooo

This is currently in Community Hall. Save the political party stuff for PWEC.

#4305939 - 10/24/16 02:17 PM Re: This is a Crime. Vets forced to payback enlistment bonuses [Re: JimK]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Yeah, it's really tired.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.