Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4304303 - 10/19/16 06:52 AM Are headphones just too powerful these days?  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

This is more of a rant against the current audio industry practice regarding how volume control is messed up. I never played music loudly and mostly kept it around 30 to 40 percent regardless of the 80/60 rule and keep it limited to and hour.
Lately it seems every headphone has powerful bass and makes it hard to hear anything else regardless of settings and a comfortable 40 db range can potentially expose you to a 90 db spike that hurts your ears. What I'm missing is the old safe days where a 5.1 headphone I used doesn't go above 70 when turned all the way up with the computer and now treating hearing loss from having the computer on 25 percent with the headphones knob at less than halfway. What the hell happen, did they want to deafen all of us trying to get a nice mood music with such a small margin of safety?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4304372 - 10/19/16 01:42 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
I have a different complaint.
What Nanny-State Moron decided that they had to put in a "OMG! YOU ARE GOING TO GO DEAF! CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE! while we lower the volume to save you" random message into the phones?

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4304373 - 10/19/16 01:42 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I stopped using headphones.

Not because of some article on the web or some "research" but because of experience. I'm convinced they're bad for your ears. Years ago I'm an avid headphones enthusiast. Headphones kept piling up as I bought and tried different brands trying to find the perfect headset. Sometime ago, whenever I try to put headphones on I need to set the volume to very low cause it causes discomfort.

I stopped using them. Even with my tablets and phones I rarely use headphones.

Last edited by oselisan; 10/19/16 01:43 PM.
#4304380 - 10/19/16 02:03 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I try not to use headphones at all, although I know there's plenty of situations where you don't have that option. I'm a little paranoid about hearing loss considering all the half deaf old farts I know.

Maybe it's a byproduct of overpowering bass and extreme volume being a replacement for actual music.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4304383 - 10/19/16 02:10 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Warbirds Offline
Warbirds  Offline

About twenty years ago I bought a pair of Grado headphones. They were so clean I kept turning up the volume. Next day I woke up with ringing in my ears that continues to this day.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways
#4304395 - 10/19/16 02:48 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Perhaps worth considering an external headphone amplifier. Then you can set a volume level outside of the computer, outside of software garbage. Find and mark a comfortable peak volume level on the amplifier knob with a full input signal, so you can't get a spike higher than that point. Then try to set the software volumes from that point.

If you have not used an external headphone amplifier before, be aware. As Warbirds mentions, these can be very clean and can drive quality headphones to dangerous volumes without any of the usual signs of stress that lower performance equipment gives.

As far as headphones, I've been a heavy user since 1995 or so. For many years I didn't even have a speaker based hi-fi system. Headphones I look for the same criteria as speakers, wide range with a generally flat curve. I would recommend checking out models aimed at the high fidelity music audience as a starting point.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4304396 - 10/19/16 02:51 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
You need some good neutral headphones. They won't boost the bass and you'll have crystal clear balance between all portions of the sound wave.

I have a pair of Fischer Fa-003 Ti's and they are fantastic. They cost a bit but you frankly don't need to raise the volume that high to get much out of them.

#4304430 - 10/19/16 04:33 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've been blasting my ears with headphones for as long as I can remember. I still wear headphones most waking hours of the day (mainly Classic Rock, sometimes Classical). Mine are light and cheap, hooked up to an iPod Shuffle that I keep clipped to my waist. I need a quality pair for my man cave sofa (my listening room), just never got around to it.

My last hearing test was several years ago, I'm due for another. That one wasn't so bad for my age then (early 40's) considering my long-time eardrum abuse, but I'm sure my hearing has degraded since. I'm probably screwed. I started lowering the volume and taking more breaks a couple years ago.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4304433 - 10/19/16 04:45 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I think headphones are about like normal listening and you just shouldn't turn it up too loud. Maybe if they're closed cups and form a tight seal they might be more likely to do damage. That said, those earphones/buds (too uncomfortable IMO as well) I would image are more likely to do damage.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4304464 - 10/19/16 05:59 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Wolfstriked Offline
Wolfstriked  Offline

NYC
Originally Posted By: Mr_Blastman
You need some good neutral headphones. They won't boost the bass and you'll have crystal clear balance between all portions of the sound wave.

I have a pair of Fischer Fa-003 Ti's and they are fantastic. They cost a bit but you frankly don't need to raise the volume that high to get much out of them.

I agree with this.Loud bass is the rage these days and so you need to buy headphones not suited for that style.Me personally,I am an avid fan of dance music and rock music and love loud good quality bass headphones so I am purchasing one geared just for that.

#4304583 - 10/20/16 12:06 AM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Crane Hunter Online cowboy
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Online Cowboy
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I like my Bose active noise cancellation 'phones.

Even in fairly quiet surroundings, tuning out the background sludge (which may or may not be audible) means you can effectively get away with at least 1/3 less volume for the same result.

#4304584 - 10/20/16 12:09 AM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
What happens when noise cancelling headphones are too loud? I wouldn't want some sort of sound vacuum sucking my ears out.

#4304585 - 10/20/16 12:13 AM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: Brun]  
Meatsheild Online content
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Online Content
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Brun
What happens when noise cancelling headphones are too loud?

if you regulary have them to loud, you get tinnitus like me! wounded

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4304588 - 10/20/16 12:16 AM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: Brun]  
Veteran
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted By: Brun
What happens when noise cancelling headphones are too loud? I wouldn't want some sort of sound vacuum sucking my ears out.

Nothin', except I turn them down because a comfortable volume without noise cancelling engaged can be uncomfortable with it.

#4304595 - 10/20/16 12:46 AM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Turning your noise cancelling headphones too high will deafen the little opera singers in your ears until they cannot hear the order to stop singing.

Last edited by DaBBQ; 10/20/16 12:46 AM.
#4305134 - 10/21/16 01:21 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Volume control . . . loudness . . . hearing loss . . . dang it! I know there's a connection, I just know it.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4305250 - 10/21/16 08:42 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered

I like headphones. From time to time I do try to get back to them.

Actually, I'm taking notes of the brands mentioned here. On seldom occasions, I still use my Razer wireless but it's really terrible (by my standards). One thing I learned is that the best headphones are usually the brands only the real audiophiles know and not the masses are flocking to.

#4305265 - 10/21/16 09:19 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: ]  
Veteran
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted By: oselisan
I like headphones. From time to time I do try to get back to them.

Actually, I'm taking notes of the brands mentioned here. On seldom occasions, I still use my Razer wireless but it's really terrible (by my standards). One thing I learned is that the best headphones are usually the brands only the real audiophiles know and not the masses are flocking to.

Like Sennheiser, ADL or BeyerDynamic.

My Bose headphones (I have both over and in-ears) are actually only middle of the road as far as baseline sound quality compared to the likes of the above, although the excellent noise cancellation helps make up for it.

With noise cancellation activated, I can barely hear something like a loud vacuum cleaner, my noisy dehumidifier or HEPA filter runming in the same room, so ordinary background noise like computer fans or the like are not going to be an issue.

#4305346 - 10/22/16 02:42 AM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
I have a different complaint.
What Nanny-State Moron decided that they had to put in a "OMG! YOU ARE GOING TO GO DEAF! CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE! while we lower the volume to save you" random message into the phones?

I'm with you! And furthermore, I get the same message from my phone even if I'm bluetoothing to an external speaker...not even headphones but a dang speaker. There should be a check box for no longer wanting to see the message and leave my freaking volume where I want it...lol.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4305503 - 10/22/16 05:57 PM Re: Are headphones just too powerful these days? [Re: DaBBQ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

With a good pair of earphones you dont have to jack the sound up to have good sound and be able to hear what is going on. I generally run my computer sound at 75% and my headphone sound at 75% of that. Then if I need to I can turn it up or down on the computer or headphones. As long as the headphones are blocking background sound things dont really need to be that loud. I normally crank the headphones down to about 40% for most things and turn it up if needed.

What I wont ever use though is those ear buds that channel sound straight into your ear. That is very dangerous IMO. Lots of people use them though and it seem the old design is going away (the kind that hook into your ears and channel the sound into your earlobe instead of straight down your ear canal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.