Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4301969 - 10/09/16 10:05 PM DIY Kneeboards  
PallyWoods Offline
PallyWoods  Offline

Probably not the right section for this but I at least see it as relevant. Feel free to move if you feel necessary Mods/Admins. I can't seem to find anything on this anywhere on the internet so figured this is probably a good place to ask.

Anyways, I was thinking about making my own kneeboard to use for either virtual flying or real life if I ever get the chance. I often find myself in DCS aircraft and in BMS having to pull out a notepad to write things down and then have to put it aside only to grab it again when I need it. This comes more from a lack of desk space I suppose, but it seems quite useful regardless.

I'm not big into DIY projects, but the cost of a real kneeboard is outrageous imo, not to mention that most of the civil kneeboards are going with Ipads now.

If anyone has made their own for papers and such, I'm all ears to any suggestions or advice you have, and if there is a guide even better!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4301978 - 10/09/16 11:11 PM Re: DIY Kneeboards [Re: PallyWoods]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Wow, longtime lurker! Welcome to your first post!

Expensive? That's not the term I would use. I have this kneeboard and though quite pricy for something that does a simple task, well, I kinda forgot about the pricing after my 3rd flight.

If you want to make your own, probably a bulldog clip, a thick-enough plywood or MDF, and an elastic strap with velcro. The board has to be thick enough that it does not bend when you attach it with the strap to your leg. Holes on either side of the board for the strap to go through. For the tools needed to make one, I bet you'll spend more than £20 though.

- Ice
#4302000 - 10/10/16 02:55 AM Re: DIY Kneeboards [Re: PallyWoods]  
PallyWoods Offline
PallyWoods  Offline

Lmao, yea been lurking for quite sometime. Most of my questions have already been answered so never had to post, plus made the account to join teamspeak which I have been in an out of for quite awhile.

Wow, I've never seen any this cheap before when searching. Guess I wasn't being specific enough or looking in the right place. These ones are much cheaper as what I was normally seeing was in the $180 to $400 USD range. Big thanks for this link, m8.

I am curious though, is there anything you find lacking about this kneeboard? If you were to do it over again, would you go for something different? If so, what would you look for?

#4302142 - 10/10/16 04:31 PM Re: DIY Kneeboards [Re: PallyWoods]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Nothing really. It works and it's okay for the price I paid.

I'm not sure why you're getting very high prices, iPad kneeboards seem to come in around £30-£40 such as this one at £32.50 or even this model at £24.50.

If I were to do it again, I'd still get this kneeboard without thinking twice. It's just the right size for a small notebook or pad paper from Staples. I'd probably try the "double" sized ones or the tri-fold kneeboards just to see if I like them better, but really, I can't fault this kneeboard for the price. I'm actually thinking of getting another one.... after all, the pilot image in the F-16 has a map on the left leg and his data card on the right leg, so there's nothing wrong with having TWO kneeboards. The wife thinks otherwise but she's not a flight simmer so what does she know, eh? biggrin

- Ice

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.