Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4297919 - 09/21/16 04:14 PM Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics)  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
<I'm going to post this thread in three parts>

Downtown Baton Rouge (Capitol of Louisiana) along the Mississippi River, taken from a roof outside a sushi restaurant the evening of Beatles vs. Stones...

[Linked Image]

++++++++++

A little back story...

My wife and I knew back in Jan/Feb that the out-of-pocket on her benign breast tumor treatment/surgery was likely going to sink our August plans of spending a week in Manhattan. It worked out for the best as it would have been not even a week after the flooding, then realizing we needed to replace our septic tank/system (still waiting for a response, they're so backlogged and were flooded themselves). In addition to those costs, the house addition is still a money pit and expenses seem to be coming out of nowhere.

For example, last Sunday evening our female Jack Russell was bitten by a venomous snake. We were sweating it on the ~45 min. drive to the emergency animal hospital. We had to leave her overnight but we stayed until the first blood tests results, didn't get home until around 2AM. She's fine now, but that's $600.00 we didn't see coming, and it could have been worse (snake got her nose but it wasn't a solid bite). eek

Anyway, the whole Manhattan trip (a walking exploration from the southern tip to the top of Central Park) was all my wife's idea and planning, and she was pretty disappointed we didn't go. She also knew I was disappointed, my one day was going to be spent on the USS Intrepid/Sea, Air & Space Museum.

++++++++++

Wife came up with the idea of a one-day walking adventure in our own backyard of Baton Rouge. BR is certainly no NYC, in fact it has a pretty small downtown. New Orleans (~70 miles southeast) is the big city around here, which is still small compared to really big US cities. Where BR shines is that it's under renovation (still lots of construction going on), turning it from a dump (that I was more than happy to leave in 1988) to a place that's kinda hip and fun. We spent yesterday exploring some of the cool stuff that's going on downtown.

Still, nothing ever goes completely as planned, we couldn't do everything she wanted to do as there wasn't enough time. But we did do the one thing she knew *I* really wanted to do, that'll be the second part of this thread.

Yesterday was a really nice surprise of having my day planned for me, I didn't even have to drive! smile We walked over 15,000 steps (much of it stairs) and learned a few lessons to prepare us for the real deal in NYC. One thing for certain, I'm not in nearly good enough shape to conquer Manhattan on foot, I have to step it up (pun) and I have less than a year to do so.

Here are some pics, including a "Thank You" to the lady who planned for us such a nice day on the town...

[Linked Image]

Besides several new restaurants, downtown BR actually has a nightlife now of pubs and bars, including free red beans and Jazz (pics 3 and 4).

BR also has its first legitimate downtown grocery store (Mathernes) which use to be a bank (and it's pretty big inside) (pic 5).

So much cleanup, from nice new apartments and renovated hotels, to classy looking streetlights/signs. Also, many cool looking churches, if not the giant cathedrals you see in major cities (pic 6).

The Old State Capitol is a free museum (more later) and the center of fun activities like arts and crafts festivals and outdoor concerts (pic 7).

The Louisiana Art & Science Museum/Planetarium (also in my first pic above), we didn't have time so we're going to do the couple of pay museums another day (pic 8).

...except for this one, the highlight of my day (wife actually had a good time too)...

[Linked Image]

Next part, the USS Kidd destroyer and Veterans Museum...

Attached Files _Beatles_Stones_01.jpgBatonRouge_01.jpgBatonRouge_02.jpgBatonRouge_03.jpgBatonRouge_04.jpgBatonRouge_05.jpgBatonRouge_06.jpgBatonRouge_07.jpgBatonRouge_08.jpg
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4297924 - 09/21/16 04:40 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Nice pics.

So why was the capitol of Louisiana named "Red Stick"? wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4297928 - 09/21/16 04:55 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Get some Poor Boy Lloyds and send me some Zapps gator taters (don't like the Crawtaters) and I'm a happy man.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4297956 - 09/21/16 06:33 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
PM, thanks...and I have no clue.

Airdrop01, no Zapp's Spicy Cajun Crawtators?! That's their best flavor, they have some heat, too! (see pic below).

Also one of the absolute best poboys I've ever eaten (that wasn't oyster). readytoeat Their French Bread was so soft, it melted in my mouth. We're going back one day (Lafayette).

Uploading next pics...

Attached Files Houston_26.jpg

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4297962 - 09/21/16 07:06 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
Cold_Gambler Offline
Cold_Gambler  Offline

Nice of you to share, thanks!

non-sequitur: you know its true love when she'll allow her picture to be taken with you while you wear a The Great Cornholio on your T-shirt biggrin :P

looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
#4297977 - 09/21/16 08:27 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This was the highlight of my day, the WWII destroyer USS Kidd, not floating right now because the river isn't high enough...

[Linked Image]

USS Kidd (DD-661) - Wikipedia

==========
"The Kidd saw heavy action in World War II, participating in nearly every important naval campaign in the Pacific after her 1943 commissioning, as she fought gallantly during the invasions of the Gilbert and Marshall Islands, the Philippines at Leyte Gulf, and Okinawa."
==========

We walked the gangplank but couldn't board the ship without tickets, which needed to be purchased from the Veterans Museum on the other side of the levee....

http://www.usskidd.com/home.html

Oops, that's ok because we were here to walk and climb stairs, no problem. smile

The museum is the building to the right (hardly visible in my pic)...

[Linked Image]

Before I continue...

The arena across the street is the River Center (once known as the Centroplex) where we had our first date (Alabama concert '84). The tree area to the left had benches where we waited for my mom to pick us up. I really don't remember that specific location but I don't have my wife's long-term memory. I do remember waiting by the main road so it makes sense that we were sitting there.

Continuing...

I love cool models and displays, and this Museum (included with the $10.00 price [adult - non-veteran/senior]) was really nice...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Back outside, we climbed the stairs for a lookdown view of the A-7 Corsair II...

[Linked Image]

There's a prop plane on the other side of the Museum (I believe a dive bomber) but I forgot to take a pic. duh

Back on to the gangplank...

[Linked Image]

==========
It is August first, 1945 Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard San
Francisco. The KIDD is just completing repairs
following the April 11 Kamikaze hit that killed thirty-
eight of her crew off Okinawa. It is before the days of
television, plastic, OSHA, and warning labels on
everything. It is back when personal safety was a
matter of alertness and common sense. The KIDD is a
1945 ship, so exercise caution as you visit. It is six days
before the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
Most of the crew are ashore enjoying their last stateside
liberty. The remainder are readying the ship for the
War's final campaign. The Invasion of Japan. Over
three hundred and fifty ships were sunk or damaged at
Okinawa, and rumor has it that the Invasion of Japan
will make Okinawa like a Sunday picnic.
==========

And we're on the back of the ship...

[Linked Image]

Wife wanting to take out the paddlewheel boat with triple-A...

[Linked Image]

She was fascinated with the galley, especially the KitchenAid mixer...

[Linked Image]

We walked all through the ship (self-guided tour, just follow the arrows and the pamphlet), very cool with sporadic news reports, Morse Code sound effects, big band music. The guy at the gate told us they're proud that about 90% of the ship is accessible. I regret not taking more pics of the inside. I kinda got fascinated by it all, plus you have to be really careful, especially with the steps which are super steep! You gotta watch your step and your head at all times moving throughout the ship.

More pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anyone know what this is?! A flag holder maybe?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I thought these might be torpedoes from the front, confirmed as we walked around the back and saw the propeller...

[Linked Image]

More of the A-7...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man, it's not the USS Alabama (Mobile) but it was too cool exploring the ship at our own pace. There were lots of little museum-like displays in the ship as well. We went back and talked with the lady at the counter of the Museum for a while, gave a little donation (enough for the t-shirt) and bought a couple of souvenirs (will show at end of next part). If I think of anything else I'll edit.

Next up, lunch and "The Castle"...

Attached Files BatonRouge_09.jpgBatonRouge_10.jpgBatonRouge_11.jpgBatonRouge_12.jpgBatonRouge_13.jpgBatonRouge_14.jpgBatonRouge_15.jpgBatonRouge_16.jpgBatonRouge_17.jpgBatonRouge_18.jpgBatonRouge_19.jpgBatonRouge_20.jpgBatonRouge_21.jpgBatonRouge_22.jpgBatonRouge_23.jpg
#4297986 - 09/21/16 09:07 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: Cold_Gambler]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Cold_Gambler
Nice of you to share, thanks!

non-sequitur: you know its true love when she'll allow her picture to be taken with you while you wear a The Great Cornholio on your T-shirt biggrin :P

LOL. I thought about it once we got home that I probably could have chosen better attire for the day, something I need to work on. smile

EDIT: Pics added as a continuation to previous post...

Attached Files BatonRouge_24.jpgBatonRouge_25.jpgBatonRouge_26.jpgBatonRouge_27.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 04/01/17 11:14 AM.
#4297988 - 09/21/16 09:22 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Need to tease your wife Mark. That would be a true North Korean Execution with that AAA.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4297999 - 09/21/16 10:36 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
biggrin , Jimk

I did forget one thing, a story the lady in the Museum told us about the ship. She was a bit charismatic (she loves what she does, that's for sure) so I may not have understood all of her story correctly. I'm going to try to write it as I remember it...

==========
When the USS Kidd was brand new (I don't know proper Navy talk, forgive me), some of the crew wanted a large ice cream maker on board (apparently stuff like this was a big no-no). It wouldn't fit through the hatches, so one night they cut a hole in the ship to get it in (I think she was referring to the hull but that would seem unlikely, right?).

We saw the ice cream maker as she described it, it looked more like a big freezer, didn't know what it was so I didn't take a pic.

Anyway, they patched (welded and painted) the hole that same night. Later the captain was doing an inspection, sees the off-colored section and asks why. The guys fess up, thinking they were in deep stuff. The captain was apparently impressed with their ingenuity and told them to just keep it quiet.

As a destroyer which are small, quick and maneuverable, they were often assigned as mail carriers of the fleet, also picking up downed pilots. This one avoided ports as much as possible, to keep anyone from finding out about their ice cream maker. What they would do is bargain instead, "We have your mail and/or your pilot(s) and we'll meet you at sea for pickup, provided you bring us 'ice cream makings'"! They were the only ship to fly the 'Jolly Roger' pirate flag as they were considered pirates by the way they negotiated trades.
==========

Even if I understood only *part* of that story correctly, she was just trying to yank our chain, right? Could ANY of this actually happen? I haven't looked it up online yet, except that they did apparently really have an ice cream maker (and the original is still on the ship).

#4298000 - 09/21/16 10:55 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
You wouldn't believe the horse trading that went on in the military.

I can only imagine how it was in WWII. I will say that I never thought Crap Game (Rickles), in Kelly's Hero's, was much of a stretch from reality. All of what we did was for the good of the unit...well I did always have the newest and coolest stuff first. Had to be careful not to let junior officers know you had better stuff than them, they didn't like it.

Heard stories of serious crooks though.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4298001 - 09/21/16 11:03 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Yes, the flag holder would be the signalman's station for flag signaling to other ships.

And the ice cream machine story strikes me as entirely feasible. The war time navy had bigger fish to fry than something like that, and a ship's captain with his head screwed on right would see the morale value of that ice cream maker.

#4298002 - 09/21/16 11:12 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
When I get back to the USA I really want to visit that area. Thanks for the great pics!

#4298011 - 09/22/16 12:46 AM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Great story about the Ice Cream maker Mark. That would have been a real treat for any sailor.
From and an Admiral on down.

BTW, we are taking a 6 day trip down the Mississippi river from LaCrosse,WI down to Dubuque,IA.
Driving down Root River to its confluence with the Mighty Mississippi. One night in LaCrosse,WI.
Then another night in Prairie Du Chien, down the great river road hoping fall colors are starting.
Then a night in Dubuque, IA and then driving up the Great river road north on the west side of
river. Then a night in Waukon,IA. Then back to MN for A night in Austin,MN before heading home.
This will be our first trip alone together since 1995. The year before our son was born. He is
staying and working. And leaving on a trip with GF the day after we leave. OCt.4th to the 9th.
Wife is still struggling from the stroke she had just over a year ago. But is more then ready.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4298013 - 09/22/16 01:02 AM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I did a little digging, some of it is true apparently.

Anyway, I don't know what "World of Warships" is but there are some *awesome* pics of this ship (inside and out) that I *should* have taken...
http://blog.worldofwarships.com/the-pirate-fletcher-part-1/

I have a feeling that the more I dig, the more I'm going to want to go back! And for $10.00?! Pffft. No brainer!

++++++++++

Working on the last part and set of pics, between installing door knobs (PITA).

++++++++++

EDIT: That sounds like a beautiful and relaxing trip, JimK! It's so nice to get the heck out of Dodge sometimes!

Last edited by MarkG; 09/22/16 01:06 AM.
#4298017 - 09/22/16 01:54 AM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted By: MarkG
That sounds like a beautiful and relaxing trip, JimK! It's so nice to get the heck out of Dodge sometimes!

I am just hoping she enjoys it. The only way we get any sort of time away is escaping. Her memory
has been hit hard. And hoping to keep her interested. So many things she once did, are no longer
an option, She gets so mad with herself for not being able to remember or be able to handle what
was so easy. Hoping this will give her some relief from her trying to do things she cannot anymore.

Thanks Mark.

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4298040 - 09/22/16 03:33 AM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wrapping it up with part three...

After finishing the KIDD we were famished, it was already 2:30 as the ship/museum visit took a little longer than expected. smile We walked a couple of blocks to our favorite restaurant, Tsunami Sushi...

http://www.servingsushi.com/

They do a $12.00 box lunch until 4PM (me: salmon, wife: shrimp, with various tuna-based rolls, we split for variety). (pics 1 and 2)

After dinner we always take a stroll on the roof (includes outdoor seating, also my first pic and some others on the Music board). (pic 3)

I didn't intend to show this next one (don't want too many 'people pics') but I thought it was interesting for the background (edited in Windows Paint to show blow-up). That's LSU in the background (Tiger Stadium and Assembly Center [white dome - basketball]), our usual stomping grounds. My wife's graduation was in the Assembly Center, the Commencement Speaker was some hillbilly Governor from Arkansas, I think his name was Bill Clinton. biggrin

Our last stop, the Old State Capitol. (pic 4)

Known as "The Castle", it's been burned up by "hooligan soldiers" (Confederates I think, a major cooking accident), trashed by college parties and then neglected. It was eventually restored to its former glory, inside and out. (pics 5 and 6)

We were told that this room, once full of politicians, is popular today for weddings at $3,000.00. There's also gorgeous balcony (didn't get a pic). I think if you have it to spend, it's probably worth it. (pic 7)

The downstairs has lots of exhibits, including this wall information that I thought was interesting. (pic 8)

It discusses what I've been talking about, the renovation of BR into a happening place. It mentions the failed "Catfish Town". Man, I loved Catfish Town! A giant outdoor strip mall along the river, with restaurants like "Louie's on the Levee" (fancy seafood buffet, our Senior Prom dinner smile ), it was great! I still have the "Grand Opening July 4, 1984" souvenir cup! It flopped like the '84 New Orleans Worlds Fair we went to, I believe Catfish Town lasted all of about two years. frown

Back to the display, the building pic at upper left is the Shaw Center for the Arts (Manship Theater, Tsunami Sushi on roof) which is becoming one of our favorite locations, also includes museums we plan to visit...

Shaw Center for the Arts

The tall building drawn on the wall is the "New State Capitol", the tallest building in BR which isn't saying much.

Lastly, we watched a cool little special effects ghost story movie about the Old State Capitol (only thing that costs: $3.00, also gave them a few extra dollars donation - I don't mind when I'm really impressed with something and it's free). (pic 9)

Ok, this one was a really nice surprise, we thoroughly enjoyed it!

==========
A key attraction, "The Ghost of the Castle," is a one-of-a-kind four-dimensional theatrical production, during which visitors come face to face with the ghost of Sarah Morgan, a Civil War-era Baton Rouge resident who loved the castle from the day it was built and wrote about it in her published book, Sarah Morgan: The Civil War Diary of a Southern Woman. In the roughly 12-minute experience, Sarah's ghost conjures the building's remarkable trials through history, showcasing the determination of everyday Louisianans who have saved the castle time and time again. With floating images from the past surrounding the audience, this presentation entertains visitors, deepening their interest in the state's history and causing them to personally identify with the historic building.
==========

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Louisiana_State_Capitol

Alas, it was going on 4PM and time to start heading back to the parking garage. Shown is the new Shaw Center, mentioned earlier. (pic 10)

I was wondering if I should carry the souvenir bags like I did her books in 11th grade. I wanted to, but I felt pretty worn out and my dogs were barking. Yeah, of course I did, after I took a couple more pics. smile

Our booty included a Rosie the Riveter coffee mug, USS Kidd shot glass, "I Helped Paint The USS KIDD (DD-661)" donation t-shirt, a couple of Fleur-de-lis wine glasses (Old State Capitol gift shop) and some city attraction maps and stuff. (pic 11)

Oh yeah, one last story...

We go to the "Visit Baton Rouge" information center (another nice new touch) to get maps and stuff (pic from Google Earth, Street View)...

[Linked Image]

The one person behind the counter, a woman maybe in her early-50's, looks at my wife and says, "You look very familiar, where are you from?" "Originally, Port Allen" (across the river). "I know you, you're Lois' daughter!" This woman was also from Port Allen.

Happens all the time, but that's small towns for ya! smile

Attached Files BatonRouge_28.jpgBatonRouge_29.jpgBatonRouge_30.jpgBatonRouge_31.jpgBatonRouge_32.jpgBatonRouge_33.jpgBatonRouge_34.jpgBatonRouge_35.jpgBatonRouge_36.jpgBatonRouge_37.jpgBatonRouge_38.jpgBatonRouge_39.jpg
#4298100 - 09/22/16 11:42 AM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Love the pics of the destroyer!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4298423 - 09/23/16 03:26 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
PM, I'm going to return to the KIDD and *really* take my time, I'll do a new thread with more pics.

We also plan to make a day of The National WWII Museum (formerly known as the D-Day Museum) in New Orleans...

The National WWII Museum

We've been once when it first opened, but before they added the Pacific Wing. We also want to spend a day on the USS Alabama (Mobile).

But what I *really* want to do is visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio (F-117)! This trip to me is what NYC is to my wife, we're going to do her trip first.

++++++++++

RSColonel_131st, you ever make it out here look me up, you know where I live!

++++++++++

Airdrop01, my wife can't believe I've never heard of Poor Boy Lloyds, said she even pointed it out to me! <shrug> She wants to eat there when we go back for the other museums.

#4298426 - 09/23/16 03:39 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
JimK, you're going to love making that trip just the two of you! I love road trips, we'll fly to NYC but I'm getting a rental with unlimited mileage to make our trip to Dayton, OH. Maybe also drive ~150 miles north to Cedar Point and ride some *real* coasters! I dunno, just that I'm driving my trip because that's how I enjoy traveling.

You reconnect spending so much time just the two of you in a car (although I don't mind when she falls asleep and I can crank my tunes).

#4298478 - 09/23/16 07:05 PM Re: Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics) [Re: MarkG]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
MarkG, the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is not that far from you and is really worth the visit. Very good stuff.

Nice trip report.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.