Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 54 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 53 54
#4288916 - 08/20/16 08:03 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: VIKBELL]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: VIKBELL
If I have to pay for the Mig 15 I not interested, I don't want it. I already have the F-86.

It's unfortunate that you have to own both modules for this campaign. Looks like it was just a miscommunication:

Quote:

Hello everyone,
First of all, my apologies for a late response, I've been busy with real world work all day.
Secondly, I was able to get a hold of Wags, and unfortunately my fears about compatibility are true. As of right now, you must own both the MiG-15 and F-86 modules in order to play this campaign. I want to reassure everyone that this is, in no way, a ploy by ED to force a purchase of an aircraft you may not want. Rather, this is a miscommunication during our initial conversations months ago, and I'll take the blame for that.
The way modules, keys, and all that "behinds the scenes stuff" works,, is that since this is a campaign for two platforms, you do need both. Imagine there's a FC3 campaign, and you want to fly it, but you only own 1 of the 6 aircraft. It wouldn't work because you would need the other 5 aircraft as well. That's the best analogy I can come up with right now.
Rest assured that I am working with Matt, and ED, to figure out a way that I can get this campaign to those of you with only 1 of the 2 aircraft. This was my initial intention, and I will work to make it reality.
Again, I sincerely apologize for the current confusion, and hope to soon see it remedied. Thank you all, for your understanding.
-Apache600

So if you only own one of the modules with no interest in the other...it would cost you $60 for this campaign since you would have to purchase the other module. Seems pretty steep for a fictitious campaign of this kind. They would probably sell more copies if they freed up the two module requirement.

Last edited by Force10; 08/20/16 08:06 AM.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4288920 - 08/20/16 09:01 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
David_OC Offline
(OC) Pythagoras
David_OC  Offline
(OC) Pythagoras

Australia
I know I'm looking forward to Ranger79's "Operation Piercing Fury" for the A10C

A Campaign built from a OEF/OIF Veteran's perspective should be very good I think. Really cannot wait for this one to come out.

Ranger79 has some videos samples up if you want to check it out. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159394

I was thinking the reason ED may put out more Campaigns is to generate some cash flow obviously; would this be to allow ED to grow? (Train up more coders in ED’s own built technology now) to speed up future development after the merging of everything. I guess it would take a considerable time to train up new coders?

From a business stand point, suppose I do understand. Just hope things do go quicker once everything is in place and combined/merged together. Bring on carrier operations, I'm not getting any younger.

#4288923 - 08/20/16 10:11 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

Rather, this is a miscommunication

Rather, this is a miscommunication

Kinda reminds me of when "Black Shark 2 - the quest for more money" was released

Hey lets ask people to pay again for something they already have paid for
and put it in the guise of an "Upgrade" , even though we said it was going to be
a modular sim from the start and they already paid once for this product

The misscommunication was that apparently no-one knew they were going to do this until
it was "re-released" that morning??????

Last edited by leaf_on_the_wind; 08/20/16 02:12 PM.

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4288964 - 08/20/16 04:11 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Remember the good old days when the fans made campaigns for everyone else, for free? Before all the banning and such. Not liking what this community is turning into.

#4288972 - 08/20/16 05:14 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Johnny_Redd Offline
Johnny_Redd  Offline

Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Remember the good old days when the fans made campaigns for everyone else, for free? Before all the banning and such. Not liking what this community is turning into.

Yeah I kind of done with DCS until the products I'm owed are released. One half the community doesnt respect the other halves right to complain about the products that they have paid for. The bannings and warnings over on the official shop floor forums just increase the division in the community. It's really not a healthy community. So I bow out of DCS until I receive a newsletter that announces my long awaited purchases are released. I won't hold my breath for that as I'm pretty sure, going on what has gone before, that will take 5 years at the very least.
edit.
The sim just feels like a dead end at the moment. Waiting times, between each small update, are just too long for me to feel like any real development is taking place.

Last edited by Johnny_Redd; 08/20/16 05:38 PM.

DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
#4289371 - 08/22/16 01:38 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Force10]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: Force10
Originally Posted By: VIKBELL
If I have to pay for the Mig 15 I not interested, I don't want it. I already have the F-86.

It's unfortunate that you have to own both modules for this campaign. Looks like it was just a miscommunication:

Quote:

Hello everyone,
First of all, my apologies for a late response, I've been busy with real world work all day.
Secondly, I was able to get a hold of Wags, and unfortunately my fears about compatibility are true. As of right now, you must own both the MiG-15 and F-86 modules in order to play this campaign. I want to reassure everyone that this is, in no way, a ploy by ED to force a purchase of an aircraft you may not want. Rather, this is a miscommunication during our initial conversations months ago, and I'll take the blame for that.
The way modules, keys, and all that "behinds the scenes stuff" works,, is that since this is a campaign for two platforms, you do need both. Imagine there's a FC3 campaign, and you want to fly it, but you only own 1 of the 6 aircraft. It wouldn't work because you would need the other 5 aircraft as well. That's the best analogy I can come up with right now.
Rest assured that I am working with Matt, and ED, to figure out a way that I can get this campaign to those of you with only 1 of the 2 aircraft. This was my initial intention, and I will work to make it reality.
Again, I sincerely apologize for the current confusion, and hope to soon see it remedied. Thank you all, for your understanding.
-Apache600

So if you only own one of the modules with no interest in the other...it would cost you $60 for this campaign since you would have to purchase the other module. Seems pretty steep for a fictitious campaign of this kind. They would probably sell more copies if they freed up the two module requirement.

It's a pretty simple solution--make three versions of the campaign. One F-86-only, one MiG-15-only, one both.

Not sure what all the "working" is about.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4294838 - 09/09/16 06:29 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
And here we have another new campaign...at least they're keeping ED busy with the installers, support and release at a bare minimum.

More content to test and integrate into the next build when it all goes horribly wrong.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4294857 - 09/09/16 07:40 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Cajun Offline
Cajun  Offline

Lafayette, LA
The campaigns are great. Keep em coming.

Intel i7-13700K
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra
Radeo RX 570 (8GB)

#4294894 - 09/09/16 09:01 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
What installers? Everything is a single build data base, items are merged into builds, and those builds are distributed through the updater.
There are no installers.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4294909 - 09/09/16 09:28 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: SkateZilla]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
What installers? Everything is a single build data base, items are merged into builds, and those builds are distributed through the updater.
There are no installers.

Well, 'Ranger79' certainly isn't merging or distributing anything, definition of terms - call it what you want. I'd just rather all resources at ED were concentrating on the core work and not getting sidetracked with all sorts of periphery that's posted about in the 60 pages within this thread.

I'm sure there is enough for ED to be working on regarding incomplete content, multiple branches and then there is the test and integration of all these new campaigns every time a new build is published (or should be). The more content ED allow into the unfinished world, the more there is to test and the more there is to go wrong as DCS World and the engine matures and these problems have already happened in interim releases as proven in the past.

What comes after the 2.5 merge? 35 standalone campaigns of which none that work....and would I be surprised if that happens? No, not in the slightest. Looking forward to that like a hole in the head.

#4295001 - 09/10/16 08:17 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Ouch, Paradaz with the troof smackdown!

#4295003 - 09/10/16 09:01 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Ouch, Paradaz with the troof smackdown!

More like putting his foot in his mouth. If you don't have a clue how repositories work, you might not be qualified to critisize ED on how much work it is for them to "integrate" a campaign.

#4295012 - 09/10/16 10:51 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted By: Sobek
More like putting his foot in his mouth. If you don't have a clue how repositories work, you might not be qualified to critisize ED on how much work it is for them to "integrate" a campaign.

Maybe we don't need any clue about "repositories" or how programming works when we've seen in the past how tutorials and campaigns get borked after an "update" or patch??

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I'd just rather all resources at ED were concentrating on the core work and not getting sidetracked with all sorts of periphery

Just waiting for those that will say "but, but, but.... the people who work on the "core" have nothing to do with those that make campaigns!" biggrin

- Ice
#4295017 - 09/10/16 11:20 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: - Ice]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Maybe we don't need any clue about "repositories" or how programming works when we've seen in the past how tutorials and campaigns get borked after an "update" or patch??

As far as i am aware, ED don't fix 3rd party campaigns, that needs to be done by the developer.

Training missions are something else entirely. Still, the training missions for 3rd party modules need to be maintained by the respective 3rd party. But why bring training missions up? You suddenly object to those too?

Just waiting for those that will say "but, but, but.... the people who work on the "core" have nothing to do with those that make campaigns!" biggrin

So? You not agreeing with that statement for whatever mythological reason is hip for today doesn't make it wrong.

Is there any actual argument coming because so far it's just noise by people who don't have a clue about the process.

Edit:

After rereading this post, i came to the conclusion that it might be a bit harsher than i intended originally. The point i'm trying to make is: There are things where criticising ED is absolutely valid, like how their modules are starting to decline in value (campaigns as DLC instead of at least one packaged with a module) or how they sometimes have knee jerk reactions even to valid criticism. Complaining however that something that costs the repository maintainer 10 seconds to pull into the project and actually generates revenue for ED and a 3rd party takes away resources from development is absolutely nonsensical.

Last edited by Sobek; 09/10/16 12:30 PM.
#4295036 - 09/10/16 02:58 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Sobek]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
or how they sometimes have knee jerk reactions even to valid criticism.

Perfectly demonstrated

#4295104 - 09/10/16 07:49 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Perfectly demonstrated

You mean your absolute incapability to acknowledge that i am not associated with Eagle Dynamics? Hooray to you, what a tremendous feat. cheers

Why not contribute constructively to the discussion and talk about the topic of this thread instead of ourselves?

Last edited by Sobek; 09/10/16 07:54 PM.
#4295106 - 09/10/16 07:58 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Sobek]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Perfectly demonstrated

Sometimes, the comedy just writes itself! biggrin

As far as i am aware, ED don't fix 3rd party campaigns, that needs to be done by the developer.

I feel sorry for the developer then.

Training missions are something else entirely. Still, the training missions for 3rd party modules need to be maintained by the respective 3rd party. But why bring training missions up? You suddenly object to those too?

Nope, just citing examples where things that used to be working fine no longer work after a patch.

So? You not agreeing with that statement for whatever mythological reason is hip for today doesn't make it wrong.

Is there any actual argument coming because so far it's just noise by people who don't have a clue about the process.

Huh? What are you saying here? I was just trying to predict one of the avenues of argument for these things.

The point i'm trying to make is: There are things where criticising ED is absolutely valid, like how their modules are starting to decline in value (campaigns as DLC instead of at least one packaged with a module) or how they sometimes have knee jerk reactions even to valid criticism. Complaining however that something that costs the repository maintainer 10 seconds to pull into the project and actually generates revenue for ED and a 3rd party takes away resources from development is absolutely nonsensical.

Point 1: how do we know this new campaign didn't pull resources from ED?
Point 2: how do we know this new campaign won't be borked in the neverending patching process?
Point 3: which of the above points are not valid?

- Ice
#4295111 - 09/10/16 08:18 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: - Ice]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Point 1: how do we know this new campaign didn't pull resources from ED?

Because it was made by Ranger79.

Point 2: how do we know this new campaign won't be borked in the neverending patching process?

We don't. Updates always have an inherent risk to introduce a regression.

Point 3: which of the above points are not valid?

Point 1.

As for point 2, what is the alternative to living with a certain risk of something being broken (at least for a short period)? ED ceasing all feature development, fixing current bugs and then freezing the software forever. Is that something you would want?

#4295117 - 09/10/16 08:30 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Sobek]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Because it was made by Ranger79.

So 'Ranger79' fully tests it with an ED future build given that it won't be incorporated with a build that he creates the campaign with.

'Ranger79' prepares the campaign package and tests it in the development build before it goes live.

'Ranger79' manages the campaign upload and file repositories.

'Ranger79' prepares the promotional material and announces the campaign on the ED newsletter.

'Ranger79' sorts out the configuration management of software and documentation.

'Ranger79' maintains the build record and patch notes.

What are ED doing with their resources whilst 'Ranger79' is taking care of all of this? sigh

#4295118 - 09/10/16 08:51 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

So 'Ranger79' fully tests it with an ED future build given that it won't be incorporated with a build that he creates the campaign with.

I doubt that campaigns by 3rd parties are tested against future versions, but that is an assumption.

'Ranger79' prepares the campaign package and tests it in the development build before it goes live.

See above.

'Ranger79' manages the campaign upload and file repositories.

Maybe he has it in a repo, but he probably doesn't. Pushing a file tree into a SVN repo is a one-liner in bash.

'Ranger79' prepares the promotional material and announces the campaign on the ED newsletter.

The trailer was shot by someone named Eight Ball (credits are at the end). I don't know the guy, pretty sure he's not ED staff. Chizh writes a newsletter every week. It probably takes him less time if he can copy paste in a campaign promo paragraph than having to come up with something himself.

'Ranger79' sorts out the configuration management of software and documentation.

You mean the documentation of the campaign? Sure, why not. What else is there to document?

'Ranger79' maintains the build record and patch notes.

Build record? You are aware that you don't have to compile campaigns, are you? Patch notes, well, i assume he sends ED a text file and they put it in their list. Let me see, reaching for Ctrl+C and then for Ctrl+V, OMG all them ressources!!!!!!

What are ED doing with their resources whilst 'Ranger79' is taking care of all of this? sigh

Developing DCS? Just an idea.

Page 29 of 54 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.