Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4292384 - 09/01/16 01:48 AM The Simple Solution to Traffic  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
I thought this little vid was great. Common sense stuff but I think EVERY driver should be forced to watch it and take a test afterward. smile

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4292393 - 09/01/16 03:08 AM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
All cars/drivers taking off at the same time? It'll never happen. I used to wonder why most of the troops marked time in place when the "forward, march!" command was given. After all, the preparatory command "forward" told you what you were going to do, and all you had to do was take a 30" step with your left foot on the command of execution "march." The soldier ahead of you would be doing the same thing, so no collisions should take place. It works about as well in practice as synchronized driving would.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4292406 - 09/01/16 05:24 AM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
rolleyes

Yeah... considering you are at fault if you run into the car in front of you... you're logically going to wait until you are certain they are moving away from you.

#4292412 - 09/01/16 06:49 AM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
So, youre in a really smart car, its driving along, keeping a safe distance form the car in front AND the one behind. You come up to a place where you HAVE to stop.
Lets say, a railroad Xing. All the cars stop at the same time. They HAVE to keep that distance between them even as theyre stopped otherwise the plan wont work.
BUT....now you have 20 cars @ 30 metres spacing. 20 cars taking up 600 metres?
I can just imagine all the non-smart cars filtering in to the lovely spaces in between and smiling as they jump the queue. Im getting mad with them already biggrin

>
#4292448 - 09/01/16 11:06 AM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
A simple solution to traffic?

Make your state as absolutely unappealing to live in so that floods of people from other states and countries stop moving there. I'm writing up a list of recommendations to send to my governor as we speak...

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/01/16 01:42 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4292524 - 09/01/16 01:40 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
If the heat, humidity, swamps, snakes, alligators, hurricanes, and traffic haven't kept people away I don't think anything will.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4292525 - 09/01/16 01:43 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Simple solution? We already have one.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4292526 - 09/01/16 01:43 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: NH2112]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: NH2112
If the heat, humidity, swamps, snakes, alligators, hurricanes, and traffic haven't kept people away I don't think anything will.

Heh, your post reminded me of a classic joke.

Why did god create Florida? So that New Yorkers would have somewhere else to live when they got tired of snow.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4292537 - 09/01/16 02:04 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: CyBerkut]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
rolleyes

Yeah... considering you are at fault if you run into the car in front of you... you're logically going to wait until you are certain they are moving away from you.

The problem is too many drivers have the reaction times of dried mold. The amount of time it takes to register something with your eyes and move your foot should be under a second. Instead, it seems to take some people closer to 10??

I remember an old B-24 pilot I knew online 20 years ago. He mentioned the way you flew in formation with those things was to watch your lead's control surfaces, not the wings. If you waited till you saw the lead plane bank to move your stick, the lag would put you way out of position. Instead, you saw his right aileron go up, you moved your wheel right. You saw it go down, you reversed.

Cars need more than red brake lights. They need green acceleration lights that go on when you press the gas. That way you know if the car ahead is accelerating. No lights = car is coasting.

Of course, I also think people are just slow witted. I lose count of the number of times I see this scenario:

Car comes up to intersection to make a turn. Cars on the road they want to turn onto are stopped at a red light (ie westbound traffic is stopped at light, northbound car looking to turn west). They come to a stop and look. And look. They stare at the motionless cars. Light changes, westbound cars begin to move. They THEN pull out right in front of the accelerating cars. WTF?!?!? How could it possibly take them that long for their brain to process cars NOT moving and that NOW is the time to go before they start to move? confused

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4292540 - 09/01/16 02:09 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Jedi Master]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master

The problem is too many drivers have the reaction times of dried mold. The amount of time it takes to register something with your eyes and move your foot should be under a second. Instead, it seems to take some people closer to 10??

The Jedi Master

The main culprit: Smartphones.

On a daily basis I see multiple drivers who are late to move when the light goes green because they're fricking texting or browsing the net on their phone.

#4292564 - 09/01/16 02:57 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
The next best solution to Peally's is probably the middle road between autonomous vehicles and "manually" driven ones: assisted driving. A laser rangefinder determines the distance to the car in front of you and helps you keep optimal distance.

Self-driving cars are not a good idea IMO because a) I like driving, and b) I don't want to put my life in the hands of some douchebag hacker jerk.

The downside of any given technology is usually always people related. It's the one variable that can turn Utopia into Dystopia.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
#4292566 - 09/01/16 02:59 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
+1 Jayhawk.

#4292575 - 09/01/16 03:14 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Jayhawk]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

Self-driving cars are not a good idea IMO because a) I like driving, and b) I don't want to put my life in the hands of some douchebag hacker jerk.

+1

I have no interest in self driving cars, I enjoy cars and driving and refuse to turn over control of my 3,000lb vehicle to some computer program which is bound to have bugs and hackers and downtime... how many of our computer systems at home or work have the kind of 100% perfect behaviour that would make people want to trust their lives to it?

Would the same people pushing for self driving cars be comfortable flying in self-flying commercial airplanes?

Personally as an IT worker I think computers and the infrastructure they require have a long way to go before they are able to handle millions of self driving vehicles that depend on 100% uptime and no bugs to function safely.

I remember in 1995 in my college programming 201 course, the professor selling us on how self driving cars would be a reality soon and how we aspiring "programmers" should consider focusing our skills toward the public good and not just on making money in the .com economy... 20 years later and still I don't think the IT systems necessary for this are there...

It's especially funny that Google is the one leading the way since their stuff stays in beta forever and they aren't known for great support or stability.

Last edited by kludger; 09/01/16 03:22 PM.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#4292582 - 09/01/16 03:25 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I just can't imagine myself sitting in the driver seat about to go thru a four way intersection that has no stop light/sign, and having no control. It just seems too alien of a feeling. I don't see myself having the faith that each and every car at every intersection will work correctly each and every time.

I think all we can do is to continue to try an educate people about distracted driving. I know it seems futile, but it is more pragmatic.

#4292598 - 09/01/16 03:57 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Make your state as absolutely unappealing to live in so that floods of people from other states and countries stop moving there. I'm writing up a list of recommendations to send to my governor as we speak...

Just don't screw up our tourism... we need the tax money from that. wink

#4292600 - 09/01/16 04:02 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Jedi Master]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
rolleyes

I remember an old B-24 pilot I knew online 20 years ago. He mentioned the way you flew in formation with those things was to watch your lead's control surfaces, not the wings. If you waited till you saw the lead plane bank to move your stick, the lag would put you way out of position. Instead, you saw his right aileron go up, you moved your wheel right. You saw it go down, you reversed.

Cars need more than red brake lights. They need green acceleration lights that go on when you press the gas. That way you know if the car ahead is accelerating. No lights = car is coasting.

Of course, I also think people are just slow witted. I lose count of the number of times I see this scenario:

Car comes up to intersection to make a turn. Cars on the road they want to turn onto are stopped at a red light (ie westbound traffic is stopped at light, northbound car looking to turn west). They come to a stop and look. And look. They stare at the motionless cars. Light changes, westbound cars begin to move. They THEN pull out right in front of the accelerating cars. WTF?!?!? How could it possibly take them that long for their brain to process cars NOT moving and that NOW is the time to go before they start to move? confused

The Jedi Master

I'm getting older and moldier myself... but I make an effort not to be that bad. winkngrin

I have to agree with PM though... the phones are a major factor in driver distractions/delays.

#4292607 - 09/01/16 04:32 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: CyBerkut]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Just don't screw up our tourism... we need the tax money from that. wink

Tourism is fine with me because those are people who are in the state temporarily!

#4292657 - 09/01/16 05:59 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
I also refuse to use a self driving vehicle. Computers are great until they sh*t the bed, and they do that A LOT.

Best solution in my mind is to physically detonate crappy drivers. After the first month where the bulk of cars are asploded we can push the hulks out of the way and enjoy the roads wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#4292732 - 09/01/16 08:25 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Linebacker]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
You know what? I wish it were phones. I really do. I SEE these people. I'm in the lane next to them. 100% visibility. It's not.

No phones. No other person in the car distracting them. Nothing.
They have both hands on the wheel. They ARE looking. They look. They KEEP looking. I've sung the entire Jeopardy theme and they're still looking around.

THEN they go. How can they need that long to look, assess, and decide? We're talking brains moving along at a fraction of the speed they should be.
I feel like I'm a Core i7 in a world of Pentium 3's.

If it was phones, you could say "put it down" and the problem would be fixed. Stiff fines if a cop saw you to make people more wary about it.

You can't fix stupid.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4292771 - 09/01/16 09:36 PM Re: The Simple Solution to Traffic [Re: Jedi Master]  
Goblin Offline
Goblin  Offline

Southeastern PA
rolleyes

The Jedi Master

Several years ago, well, o.k. closer to 20, I was sitting at a red light on a Saturday morning. The traffic was very light. I'm watching the cross traffic and there's a car that wants to make a left turn. There's an old lady, who clearly has the right of way to go straight, but she slows down. The guy making the left creeps forward into the turn and sees the lady moving forward so he stops. The lady stops. They guy starts to go again and the lady starts again. The guy turning stops. The lady stops. These actions repeated several times. The guy waits longer and the lady is clearly stopped. The guy goes again and the lady smashes his right door in.

I couldn't hear what the guy said, but his gesturing spoke volumes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.