Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4290992 - 08/27/16 04:04 PM Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US)  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I actually thought this was common knowledge, but from what I've seen, I guess it's not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz0

I constantly see people poking along in the left lane, blocking what would otherwise be an open, fast-moving lane, and it's infuriating.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4290998 - 08/27/16 04:35 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Lucky_1 Offline
Lucky_1  Offline

Mehlingen, Germany
Until this law gets enforced like it does in Germany, it will always be a problem. I've always thought, if you could combine the traffic laws of Germany and the United States, you would have THE best traffic system. All you need to do is take the best parts out of each system and combine them. I don't know why this has never been done.

#4290999 - 08/27/16 04:39 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Unless the US is different than Argentina (which I doubt given that, as you say, it's basic knowledge) it's not because they don't know, it's because they don't care.

They don't want to have cars in front of them or go trough the "hassle" of changing lanes once in a while so they stay on the left side.

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#4291006 - 08/27/16 04:56 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Here they don't enforce this rule, and it is a pain the butt being stranded behind 2 side by side cars on a two lane road, because the one in the left wants to be Holier-than-thou and pass a semi at the speed limit. I have even seen this in three-lane highways here.

As soon as they end up behind someone doing the same thing, you got the seeds for a traffic jam, because now no one can take the left lane to pass.

#4291011 - 08/27/16 05:26 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
mugwump Offline
mugwump  Offline

Vancouver, Canuckistan
It's insane here in Vancouver. Part of my work commute takes me along an 8km stretch of highway with two lanes in each direction and only two places to turn off along the entire stretch. I don't think I've ever had a day in six years where there aren't at least half a dozen heroes sticking in the left lane and driving exactly parallel to the car in the right hand lane for the entire stretch. I get it. They need to turn left in 8km. Wouldn't want to risk having to change lanes and missing it.

RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S = k ln W
#4291016 - 08/27/16 05:39 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Rambler Offline
Rambler  Offline

Houston, TX
This is every day in Houston. My favorite is when semis fancy themselves as left laners. No, you're not. You're slow. Stay in the right lanes.

#4291027 - 08/27/16 06:13 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
Traffic laws vary from one jurisdiction to another.
Some are 'state laws'....which encompass the entire state.

There ARE laws regarding left lane, being used for passing 'only'.

But some guys find it difficult to write grandpa a ticket, even for a serious violation.
Working uniform for the few years I did, I would pull them over and warn them.
But I doubt it did any good.

Yeah....I hate them also.
I was really glad to get transferred out of uniform.
It's a tough job.

Even worse is when you try to pass on a two lane road, some idiots will speed up, trying to get everyone killed.
Now THAT's a brilliant move.....lol....but NOBODY is gonna get in front of him. wink

Humans........

"Murphy's Law"
#4291030 - 08/27/16 06:20 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Not trying to be funny here, but I thought that the cars hogging the left lane was a normal, everyday occurrence over there.
When I see American programs of whatever type, I seem to see people dawdling in the left lane. It would drive me absolutely, beyond salvage, mad.
Yes, it happens in the UK, and here in SPain, but nowhere NEAR the amount that happens for you USians.

>
#4291032 - 08/27/16 06:21 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
My first time ever driving in Europe was just last month while I was in Slovakia for a month with a rental car (even drove in Poland for a day trip). I already am one who believes slower cars should remain in the right lane, and there were times when I'd make a pass at 130kmph and have a car fly up to me out of nowhere after I'd even checked behind me. I'd make my pass and jump back in the right lane causing no problems, and it seemed like that was the norm. Other than a couple of people who thought they were autobahn drivers or people who passed on blind mountain curves, I felt pretty safe and traffic flowed nicely.

We did just pass the law last year in Indiana about left lane cruisers, but I have yet to see anyone pulled over for it and I see it happen every day. If anything a police car will just pull up behind a slower left lane car until the car realizes he's being followed by a cop and gets over, but as soon as the police cruiser passes him he'll move back over to the left. Grrrr.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#4291038 - 08/27/16 06:44 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Or as we call them in the UK: MLMs or Middle Lane Morons smile

When I first moved to Belgium lane discipline was very good and you could get a move on if you needed to, as once a car had overtaken another it would pull back into the right lane again. Now, 11 years later, you can make faster progress in the right lane as the left is crawling along jam packed with slow cars.

Bah humbug.

But even in Germany where lane discipline is still very good - the thought of getting rear-ended by a Porsche going about 200km/h faster than you may have something to do with it wink - I got repeatedly blocked by an old guy in a big old merc that didn't want to let me pass.

Still, sitting at 210km/h (135mph) in my Range Rover and getting passed by cars that make me look like I am standing still, even sitting at 270km/h ( not the Range Rover I hasten to add!) and you get passed regularly driving

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4291042 - 08/27/16 07:11 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Murphy Offline
Administrator
Murphy  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Northern Michigan, USA
I never could understand the mental attitude of someone "WANTING" to make people wait for them.

They seem to want to be in front, blocking traffic.

Simply insane......'humans'.
I've given up on trying to understand them.
I just pass them, I have a vehicle that can do it, whether they like it or not.
Let them live in their misery. I'm 'gone', in less than 15 seconds.

I like to call them "The 'little' BIG men'.....lol....cause I think that's the real problem. wink

"Murphy's Law"
#4291044 - 08/27/16 07:15 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Trucks are the worst offenders. By far.

But I don't get upset about it as life is too short. I've gone to cutting everyone a break (maybe they're distracted as they lost a kid or a job or whatever). Sure. Probably not true but I'm happier that way and I'm well down the road...

Last edited by Airdrop01; 08/27/16 07:17 PM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4291047 - 08/27/16 07:37 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
To hell with it.

SimHQ, I am so sick and tired of the constant slow loading pages, unresponsive scripts, crashes, and hangups. I had to type this message in Word and then copy and paste this here before I have a crash. Only website that does it to me.

Last edited by 462cid; 08/27/16 07:39 PM.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4291059 - 08/27/16 08:18 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Murphy]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: Murphy
I never could understand the mental attitude of someone "WANTING" to make people wait for them.

They seem to want to be in front, blocking traffic.

Simply insane......'humans'.
I've given up on trying to understand them.
I just pass them, I have a vehicle that can do it, whether they like it or not.
Let them live in their misery. I'm 'gone', in less than 15 seconds.

I like to call them "The 'little' BIG men'.....lol....cause I think that's the real problem. wink

Yeah, I don't get it. I'll admit that if I am gaining on a car in an adjacent lane, and I see them want to move into my lane ahead of me, I'll speed up so I don't get stuck behind them, but only if they are going more slowly than me to begin with.

Too many people drive around without any attention paid to what's around them, and I don't think even look in their rear-view mirror to know what's going on behind them. I always try to pay attention, and frequently move over if someone is coming up behind me faster than I am going. I don't want to be "that guy" who is slowing someone else down, even if they are speeding. As long as they're cruising on an open road and not cutting in and out of traffic, I'm happy to get out of their way.

Ken Cartwright

#4291063 - 08/27/16 08:39 PM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
What gets me is I have pulled out to pass some slower vehicles in the right lane and get stuck behind a vehicle or vehicles in the left lane. Then some wannabe nascar driver pulls up behind me and starts flashing his lights. Tough dog poo, you are stuck there till the vehicles in front of me move and I get by them.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4291113 - 08/28/16 12:36 AM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
I see that here where I live, but what drives me even more nuts is the "merge".

Three lane highway. Come to an intersection with a merge lane to get on. Folks here (in the slow lane)
slow down to let the driver merge in.. WTF, that is not merging. Now this slows traffic, then the guy who
merged (just drove onto) the slow lane always tries to creep into the middle lane. This slows traffic in
the two inner lanes. The folks in the fast lane see the joker trying to get into the middle lane and slow down
bringing ALL traffic to a standstill.

Rant mode off.

#4291115 - 08/28/16 12:39 AM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: 462cid]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: 462cid
To hell with it.

SimHQ, I am so sick and tired of the constant slow loading pages, unresponsive scripts, crashes, and hangups. I had to type this message in Word and then copy and paste this here before I have a crash. Only website that does it to me.

Get Chrome and the free adblocker.

Oh and welcome to the SimHQ adserver.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4291119 - 08/28/16 12:47 AM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Or the people who drive 30mph all the way around the cloverleaf to merge into interstate traffic doing 70+.

One big problem here is the speed limit on the interstate. Or rather, limitS. The speed limit is 70, minimum speed 45. You simply CAN NOT have 25+mph difference between different vehicles on the same road. The speed limit should be 70, and that should be the speed you have to travel. If you can't do 70 then stay off the interstate. I'd have a separate lane for trucks, separated from the travel lanes by a wall, and they'd just have to deal with each other the way we do.

Drivers in Germany had lane discipline like I only dream about seeing here.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4291120 - 08/28/16 12:56 AM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: Arthonon]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
One more.

Here in Raleigh (never seen elsewhere) the highway designers made it common for the on ramp (merge lane)
onto a major highway also share the same lane for the off ramp (exit lane) from a major highway.

Brilliant!

#4291125 - 08/28/16 01:23 AM Re: Slower Traffic Keep Right (in the US) [Re: piper]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: piper
One more.

Here in Raleigh (never seen elsewhere) the highway designers made it common for the on ramp (merge lane)
onto a major highway also share the same lane for the off ramp (exit lane) from a major highway.

Brilliant!

We have that in California as well, and I've thought the same thing. You've got cars just getting on the freeway not anywhere near highway speeds in the way of cars already going fast and trying to take the exit, and no one is sure what the others are doing. It just creates a mess. Now throw in one of the clueless slow drivers who will NEVER get up to highway speed mucking everything up and you get a serious backup.

Ken Cartwright

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.