Hop To
#4285358 - 08/06/16 02:08 PM Onward – The future of VR FPS  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
This looks interesting! ...

I’d be interested in seeing the “gun rigs” that the guy mentioned.

I’m not sure how it could handle the multitude of keyboard commands that the likes of ArmA has while in VR, but it still looks interesting!

I really like the easy use of hand signals!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4285495 - 08/07/16 05:02 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: gongo2k1]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: gongo2k1
Scopes/optics seems to be super clumsy at the moment, or maybe that's just one of those things that works in VR but doesn't translate well back to 2D.

That’s why I was wondering about the “gun rigs” that I still don’t know about.

I’m already planning what mattress I’m going to use when I have to dive for cover or go prone. biggrin

#4285534 - 08/07/16 01:39 PM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Originally Posted By: Linebacker

I’m already planning what mattress I’m going to use when I have to dive for cover or go prone. biggrin

LOL

Help educate me...
Can´t you already use Rift, Vive, in games right now?
I know, I know, RTFM, biggrin

I was in Jersey Channel Islands back in the 80s. I remember being in an amusement arcade, using a machine that was VR. eyeglasses/facemask thing. GFX were crap but even so, I could move my head around and it all looked "real". That´s a waay back. I´m surprised it hasn´t advanced more than it has.

>
#4285550 - 08/07/16 03:02 PM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I recently got to use the Vive at a friend's house, it was pretty damn impressive. No games on it yet that I would play however, but I acknowledge the tech's ability. Also I have used the Oculus in a couple of titles, that had the disadvantage of a higher lag when I tried it though. It seemed promising, but not something I would shell out that much money for.

The main problem with VR right now is that it almost requires a backward step in graphic tone to get the best out of it. We're used to some pretty crazy quality in our best games now, but for a good VR experience this needs to be rendered at certainly better than 60 fps, twice. Once for each view. I'm sure there are optimisations that can be made eventually (like really only rendering once but offsetting over-rendered elements would work, reduce rendering overhead, only rendering once for stuff > 200m away etc). But right now the method seems to be render twice, because that's really the only way to crowbar VR into existing titles that are not coded for VR natively.

HTC (Vive) recommends a fps of at least 90 fps. This means lower graphical quality as far as objects & texturing goes, so we see titles now that look like high quality games from 15 years ago. I doubt we'll be playing ArmA3 at 90 fps per eye any time soon biggrin

Last edited by DM; 08/07/16 03:03 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4285671 - 08/08/16 10:43 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Ahh, good info DM, thanks..

No motion sickness?

Last edited by Stewie; 08/08/16 10:43 AM.

>
#4285681 - 08/08/16 11:43 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Quote:
No motion sickness?

I don't suffer from motion sickness type effects, but what I understand is motion sickness can be caused by:

Inner ear movement when no movement is otherwise experienced (sea sickness, often the cure is to look at the horizon if you can)

No inner ear movement when movement is otherwise experienced (FPS games, VR, where you "move" but don't move :))

Delay between perceived movement and sensed movement (lag).

Vive counters two of these by making you physically move yourself about in a safe space (typically 3m x 3m) with no visible lag between what you do and what you see. I spent something like 1.5 hours in a Vive environment and experienced no nausea, dizziness or discomfort. I might guess that if you play some game that requires you to sit in a chair and perform some cockpit-like behaviors then motion sickness might occur to people susceptible to it.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4285694 - 08/08/16 01:01 PM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
Stewie Offline
Bar Steward
Stewie  Offline
Bar Steward

Torrevieja, Spain
Eeeh, you´re a proper mine of information today, Mr M smile tHanks.

I don´t do the motion sickness stuff either mate. As you know, I worked as a Commercial Diver for many years, on and off shore. Never got me once.

TS later? No probs either way, I´m getting me ass kicked in NAW atm biggrin

>
#4290690 - 08/26/16 06:13 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
Hooves Offline
Hooves  Offline

Ive been working on a Gun Chassis,

Its called the MagTac

#4290835 - 08/26/16 05:43 PM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Nice. I would need a dedicated room for it, to avoid smashing myself (and stuff) while playing.

And as often as I drop prone in Arma3, I'd likely need to play wearing some knee pads and maybe elbow pads, to avoid repetitive-falling injury.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4290925 - 08/27/16 03:24 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Hooves]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: Hooves
Ive been working on a Gun Chassis,

Its called the MagTac

Very nice! I’d imagine it would need some sort of mechanism to be able to quickly and smoothly clip-on/clip-off the controllers?

#4292853 - 09/02/16 01:53 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
FlyingMonkey Offline
FlyingMonkey  Offline

Down under in Adelaide
Well, it's out and it's absolutely awesome, exactly what I was hoping it would be. As usual with a tactical mil sim, you need to have a team who communicates, but if that happens, then wow, VR sure changes the game. It's pretty clear that our future ArmA games will be in VR!

#4295661 - 09/12/16 08:53 PM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: adlabs6]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Arma?...Not necessarily!

One need to be fit to play those games now. The fatsoes, double lards and other couch potatoes with their high blood pressure will dies of heart attack or develop aneurism, attempting to run for cover!!!...Only for the fit!...and that is elitism!...lol! smile

And since the majority of those games are played by overweight gamers, I don't see much of a future in it in the civilian world of course!!! salute

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4295737 - 09/13/16 01:50 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
Originally Posted By: Gunnyhighway
Arma?...Not necessarily!

One need to be fit to play those games now. The fatsoes, double lards and other couch potatoes with their high blood pressure will dies of heart attack or develop aneurism, attempting to run for cover!!!...Only for the fit!...and that is elitism!...lol! smile

And since the majority of those games are played by overweight gamers, I don't see much of a future in it in the civilian world of course!!! salute

Just because you might be fat or out of shape doesn’t mean the rest of the tactical shooter fanbase is Gunny.

With that said, this isn’t running around in the woods playing paintball or airsoft ... it’s standing/rotating/leaning/crouching/going prone in a room (and the rest of us have been joking that it better be a padded room biggrin ) with an HTC Vive. There is no actual running involved LOL! If you don’t think you can handle that then yes, I absolutely recommend you get some exercise!

#4295748 - 09/13/16 02:47 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
Ha ha ha! My blood pressure is 80 over 120 at 54 years old!... And thank you insinuating that I was fat Line!

In another hand what you described Line, is nothing more than doing push-ups, burpees, squats, step-ups, lateral lunges etc...

I have an HTC Vive, I know!

All of you that don't want to be disappointed and frustrated with your own physical condition and limitations, better start running or hit the gym. And start to learn to shoot accurately when your shoulders are going up and down fast because now you look like a fish out of water!!!....Because you are simply suffocating (Yes, that is the right term!)

So tomorrow at o five hundreds I want to see you a PT, or you will increase the chances to blow a gasket in the old noodle!...

Finally, not only do you need the physical conditioning, but you also need the appropriate hardware!...You are going to regret investing in those 12 packs and pizzas instead of saving the money for a gym membership and buying the right hardware!....

On the safe side, if you are married with children, and you are planning to play FPS game, -very different from swimming with whales and don't take my word for it- , get a check up done by your physician
and be honest explaining him/her what type of game you are planning to play and how much you believe that you can still do what you were doing 25 years ago.

PS: Paintball and Airsoft are the best simulation I know. There are a good base to start training for your encounter with the virtual gods of wars!

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

This is not the bars that keep the Tiger in the cage, this is the space between the bars.
#4295753 - 09/13/16 03:32 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Gunnyhighway]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
LOL! Gunny, you're a legend in your own mind. biggrin

#4295914 - 09/13/16 04:24 PM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
Gunnyhighway Offline
Move, Strike, Protect
Gunnyhighway  Offline
Move, Strike, Protect

San Diego, CA
wink

Fluctuat Nec Mergitur

#4296578 - 09/16/16 01:19 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: gongo2k1]  
Linebacker Offline
LB
Linebacker  Offline
LB

YYZ
So, I got a Vive and bought Onward tonight and played my first match.

Nice gongo! Sounds like fun. I wish I could hop into an Onward session myself but $1150 CDN for the Vive alone ... ouch!

(I’m not even sure my i7 3770 running at 4.3 GHz and GTX 1070 could handle it)

Vids please! smile (even a full SimHQ report would be cool!)

#4296606 - 09/16/16 04:03 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: Linebacker]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Very nice indeed! I am curious as to how different this is compared to Dismounted Soldier Training System (DSTS).

Also, does this only work with Vive or will it also work with OR? I am more inclined to buy OR based on it's usable footprint in my smallish apartment and more feedback seems to favor OR a bit over Vive.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#4296615 - 09/16/16 05:01 AM Re: Onward – The future of VR FPS [Re: gongo2k1]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm

I have no idea what DSTS is, never even heard of it before. oops

I believe this is Vive exclusive at the moment. It kind of has to be, unless the long-overdue Rift Touch controllers have suddenly entered the market.

The Rift and the Vive have nearly identical specs. In fact, while Valve was helping HTC develop the Vive, they even invited the Rift guys over to show them what they were doing. The Vive controllers track really well and because they're shaped more like conventional remotes, they're intuitive to use/point and simple to store or put down. I'm sure the Rift Touch controllers will have extremely good tracking, and until I get to use a pair, I'll reserve judgement as far as ease of use and ability to easily place/store the controllers when not in use.

Gongo2k1,

DSTS is a military program of record virtual trainer for dismounted Soldiers to immerse themselves into most any virtual spot in the world, with a rapidly growing global database of areas of interest. It has the same principals as Onward but Onward seems to do more with less. The entire kit was designed to be self contained and used within the confines of a hangar deck, protective shelter or just about any controlled enclosure that can be sealed from much light exposure and a reliable power source. Much like Onward, with your attached harness, weapon and goggles, as you take a knee, lay down or stand up, or move your weapon to various positions, so does your avatar in simulation. The only thing you are really limited too is using a small thumb stick for your in game movement.

The challenge was establishing a unit cadre familiar enough with mounting the hardware, linking and zeroing everything and then knowing how to troubleshoot it when it goes down. This would enable the training unit to get more immersion and time in the simulator and less time spent training the unit how to do so each iteration.

Here are a few links:

Intelligent Decisions

US Army's official site

Anyway, I thought initially OR might be better suited than Vive to a more confined space, but have also been enjoying learning golf and feel confident there may very well be a great golf simulator to arise for these platforms, though not playable in an office, that can be utilized during the colder months here in Korea. Plus, I have a strong affection for flight sims....so,sort of up in the air for what can best give me the most bang for my dollar. I know once OR releases their additional items, the price tag will increase another $200 or so.

Looking forward to some of your video footage.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.