Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4288965 - 08/20/16 04:15 PM Re: What are you reading in July? [Re: RedToo]  
Major Dragon Offline
Major Dragon  Offline

Okay, I finished 2017 War With Russia this past week. A very easy read with some elements of Red Storm Rising (Tom Clancy) and Red Phoenix (Larry Bond). However it contains less in the way of combat narrative and more political narrative, repeatedly emphasizing NATO's lack of preparedness and political will.

What was amazing was how art imitates life (or the other way around).

As I'm reading the opening story line of a small group of American Army trainers in Ukraine being kidnapped by Russians, taken to Crimea and paraded as saboteurs; I'm reading the same story in the newspaper inwhich Ukrainian soldiers where paraded as saboteurs by the Russians.

Later in the book cyberwarfare experts describe how a worm (Rasputin) can be used to attack and take control of Russian military comms; I'm also reading in the newspaper how the NSA's most secret cyberweapon a worm called Rubicon which does the same thing has been stolen, some of the code made public, with the remaining code to be auctioned to the highest bidder.

Blew me away!

Last edited by Major Dragon; 08/20/16 04:16 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4290141 - 08/24/16 02:06 PM Re: What are you reading in July? [Re: Major Dragon]  
No Fear Offline
No Fear  Offline

Originally Posted By: Major Dragon
Okay, I finished 2017 War With Russia this past week. A very easy read with some elements of Red Storm Rising (Tom Clancy) and Red Phoenix (Larry Bond). However it contains less in the way of combat narrative and more political narrative, repeatedly emphasizing NATO's lack of preparedness and political will.

What was amazing was how art imitates life (or the other way around).

As I'm reading the opening story line of a small group of American Army trainers in Ukraine being kidnapped by Russians, taken to Crimea and paraded as saboteurs; I'm reading the same story in the newspaper inwhich Ukrainian soldiers where paraded as saboteurs by the Russians.

Later in the book cyberwarfare experts describe how a worm (Rasputin) can be used to attack and take control of Russian military comms; I'm also reading in the newspaper how the NSA's most secret cyberweapon a worm called Rubicon which does the same thing has been stolen, some of the code made public, with the remaining code to be auctioned to the highest bidder.

Blew me away!

That line there says it all ! I couldn't have said it better myself MD.
Things like that make you wonder sometimes...

Anything else that made you raise an eyebrow in that book MD?

Stupidity is invincible.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.